PDA

View Full Version : whats a good (healthy) reading for the Kg/ cm2 dial

Problem Child
17-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Getting to know my NSX and wondered what the Kg/ cm2 dial is telling me....what is a healthy reading for this?

duncan
17-02-2012, 09:37 PM
It's a pictorial representation; revs go up - pressure goes up, revs go down - pressure goes down, red line the engine the pressure will plummet however your heart rate will really go up.
Go on, try it, you know you really want to.

Nick Graves
18-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Normally, it's spot on the middle once you have some decent revs on it and it's warm.

Crawling in traffic at idle is worrying, since pressure is minimal down there. Mine's pretty stable.

If it starts reading low, either your oil pump is knackered (they can break if over-revved) or one of your oil seals has popped.

The Voltmeter's funnier; tells me the alternator's good, but not that the battery's getting a bit knackered & tends to lose charge quickly.

britlude
18-02-2012, 05:48 PM
the oil pressure gauge seems to be more of a guide! if you look on prime, their solution to low oil pressure is to fit a new oil pressure sender

Kaz-kzukNA1
18-02-2012, 10:33 PM
As Jonathan mentioned, the value you see on the dash is just a reference.

If you look at the structure or cut model of the sensor (oil pressure sender unit), you will be surprised how primitive it is.

The reading can change by many factors such as rpm, oil temperature, oil viscosity, etc.

On early models, there was even a known issue with the Oil Pressure Sender unit itself and Honda released the TSB to replace it with the modified version.
From time to time, it showed almost zero pressure with the original design even when the engine was at high rpm.
You have the later spec NSX so you already have the modified one and very unlikely to see this issue.

The sensor that will trigger the Low Oil Pressure Warning Light on the dash is located on the eng oil cooler base and not the same as the oil pressure sender unit.

Unless your NSX is suffering from other issues, if you see enough oil on the oil level gauge and if you don’t see the low pressure warning light, it is very unlikely that you have an low oil pressure issue even if your pressure reading on the dash is low.

As a reference, with Mobil 1 0W-40, it will be around 1.0 – 2.0 on idle rpm once the engine is fully warmed up and it will show higher figure depending on the rpm while you are driving.

Kaz