PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans sadness

Senninha
25-01-2012, 11:26 PM
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25073

First came the weasels and now they introduce the hybrid to Le Mans .... All the more reason to visit the classic to hear and smell real race cars IMO ... or am I missing something?

I accept that like it or not, the masses are moving to hybrid / new technologies, but I'm not a fan of the motorsport links, and yes, b4 one of jump in quickly, I am very well aware of the KERS / F1 links to proposed new models, not least of which could include the NSX concept.

Discuss ...

regards, Paul

markc
26-01-2012, 10:13 AM
All the more reason to visit the classic to hear and smell real race cars IMO ... or am I missing something?

Possibly...

The hybrid rules (Formula) is fairly mild so the petrol cars will still sound like proper races :)

As I understand it 'lecy power can only be used on the front wheels and only above 120kmh, so there's no 4wd "traction" advantage AND you have to carry the extra weight of the electric motors, batteries etc as well as a smaller fuel tank. Hybrid can be added to a petrol or diesel car.

Audi have decided the extra weight will not add performance while Toyota have decided it will. Peugeot couldn't decide so pulled out completely ;) , which is a real shame IMHO.

So I think Le Mans is, at last, coming back to a level playing field between petrol and diesel and there will be more screaming petrol engines to enjoy than for many years.

Having said that noise and smells at the classic race is even better... the 60's and 70's cars running big capacity multicylinder engines running on carburetors sound quite simply amazing :D

Cheers

Mark

Boomin33
27-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Speaking of Le Mans.... anyone got plans of going this summer?? The wife and I took the NSX down a couple years back and are thinking about returning... it is classic year? right?

NSX 2000
27-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Speaking of Le Mans.... anyone got plans of going this summer?? The wife and I took the NSX down a couple years back and are thinking about returning... it is classic year? right?

Hi Rob, it's both a normal year and a classic year, Normal Le Mans 24 Hour is the weekend of 16th and 17th June. Classic Le Mans is 6th 7th & 8th July.

There is a thread up about going to the classic already.

Nearly forgot I will be going to the 24 hour, just trying to see if I can do classic as well.

Paul