View Full Version : 2012 Formula 1 season thread ....

Senninha
17-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Well why not ....

With the testing season about to get underway, and Bruno signing for Williams today (17th Jan 2012), I thought I’d kick off a new thread for the 2012 F1 season for those that follow the ups and downs and politics that is Formula 1

Firstly, the calendar of events for this season …

2012 FIA F1 Calender

1. Mar 16 – 18 Australia - Melbourne
2. Mar 23 – 25 Malaysia – Kuala Lumpur
3. Apr 13 – 15 China – Shanghai
4. Apr 20 – 22 Gulf Air Bahrain – Sakhir
5. May 11 -13 Spain – Catalunya
6. May 24 – 27 Monaco – Monte Carlo
7. Jun 08 – 10 Canada – Montreal
8. Jun 22 – 24 European GP – Valencia
9. Jul 06 – 08 British GP – Silverstone
10. Jul 20 – 22 Germany – Hockenheim
11. Jul 27 – 29 Hungary – Budapest
12. Aug 31 – S 02 Belgium – Spa Francorchamps
13. Sept 07 – 09 Italy – Monza
14. Sep 21 – 23 Singapore – Singapore
15. Oct 05 – 07 Japan – Suzuka
16. Oct 12 – 14 Korea – Yeongam
17. Oct 26 – 28 India – New Delhi
18. Nov 02 – 04 Abu Dhabi – Yas Marina
19. Nov 16 – 18 USA – Austin
20. Nov 23 -25 Brazil – Sao Paulo

Secondly, the teams and drivers …

Red Bull Racing Renault
1 Sebastian Vettel
2 Mark Webber

McLaren Mercedes
3 Jenson Button
4 Lewis Hamilton

Ferrari
5 Fernando Alonso
6 Felipe Massa

Mercedes
7 Michael Schumacher
8 Nico Rosberg

Lotus Renault
9 Kimi Raikkonen
10 Romain Grosjean

Force India Mercedes
11 Paul di Resta
12 Nico Hulkenburg

Sauber Ferrari
14 Kamui Kobayashi
15 Sergio Perez Mendoza

STR Ferrari
16 Daniel Ricciardo
17 Jean-Eric Vergne

Williams Renault
18 Pastor Maldinado
19 Bruno Senna

Caterham Renault
20 Heikki Kovalainen
21 Jarno Trulli

HRT/TBA
22 Pedro de la Rosa
23 TBA

Marussia Cosworth
24 Timo Glock
25 Charles Pic

And finally (for now) ... Pre season testing …

Testing kicks off in February at Jerez. With a lot of rule changes it looks as though most of the top teams will be there with their new cars running from day 1 … its promising to be a tight battle already …

regards, Paul

m666 edd
17-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Not sure I'll have much interest this season due to the broadcasting rights. Although I may just watch it on RTL or so.

TheSebringOne
18-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Looking forward to it but was very ---- off with the change of coverage as I don't have Sky Sports at present.
I always believed that F1 should be free on normal telly!

I hope the highlight shows on the beeb will be long enough?

NSXGB
18-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Not sure I'll have much interest this season due to the broadcasting rights. Although I may just watch it on RTL or so.

I have Sky TV but not Sky Sports. I will not buy the sports package out of principle but will be interested if you know of another way of watching it live online or RTL - is there a way of tuning a Sky box or Freeview HD box to RTL?

m666 edd
18-01-2012, 08:55 AM
I have Sky TV but not Sky Sports. I will not buy the sports package out of principle but will be interested if you know of another way of watching it live online or RTL - is there a way of tuning a Sky box or Freeview HD box to RTL?

We've not had any form of SKY package for at least 5 years I think. Currently using a 60cm dish with a rail with 3 LNBs attached, each pointing at different satellites. I don't think you can get RTL without pointing the dish at a different satellite - 19.2° E I think is what the German channels are on. I also don't think the sky tuners would let you tune other than preset frequencies. I recently bought a Ł65 HD tuner box and can view all the satellites (available HD channels also) and record to USB stick / hard drive if I wish.

NSXGB
18-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks Ed. I've just got back from my local satellite / AV store...
For me, I need to buy a 60cm dish ( sky mini dish not good enough) & 2 x LNBs ( one set up for Sky and the other for Astra 1 - 19.2 degrees). My TV has a built in HD tuner which will apparently pick up Astra 1 which RTL broadcasts on. Job done, just have to learn German to understand the commentary.

Hagasan
18-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks Ed. I've just got back from my local satellite / AV store...
For me, I need to buy a 60cm dish ( sky mini dish not good enough) & 2 x LNBs ( one set up for Sky and the other for Astra 1 - 19.2 degrees). My TV has a built in HD tuner which will apparently pick up Astra 1 which RTL broadcasts on. Job done, just have to learn German to understand the commentary.

für einen Nachmittag-Schlaf ist es Zeit oder Und nummer eins weider Vettel ist wunderbar :rolleyes:

SILVER BULLET
18-01-2012, 08:27 PM
We've not had any form of SKY package for at least 5 years I think. Currently using a 60cm dish with a rail with 3 LNBs attached, each pointing at different satellites. I don't think you can get RTL without pointing the dish at a different satellite - 19.2° E I think is what the German channels are on. I also don't think the sky tuners would let you tune other than preset frequencies. I recently bought a Ł65 HD tuner box and can view all the satellites (available HD channels also) and record to USB stick / hard drive if I wish.

Thanks for that info Edd, very helpful indeed, I thought that I wouldn't be seeing much of F1 this year. Although I derive a lot of pleasure from watching I was determind not to pay Sky for the privelege, am I right in thinking we will be able to listen to live commentary on 5 live whilst watching RTL with the volume turned down ?

Cheers,

Ian

havoc
18-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Really not convinced by the Lotus line-up. Otherwise will hopefully be an interesting season...here's hoping young Bruno has a better car than they gave to Barrichello last year...

Broadcasts...having just got a HD TV, I might just sign up to Sky HD for a year, see what it's like. Was going to see what Freeview was like and maybe ditch Sky, but Freeview is actually pretty disappointing in terms of channel variety.

Senninha
18-01-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm told that if you Sky HD, then you can see F1 for free this season. TBH, family commitments mean that I rarely see the race live unless its early o'clock, so BBC coverage wont (I hope) be that different apart from Mr Brundle has jumped ship I believe?

Ayrton once said that if you thought he was quick, then you should see his nephew ... well now's Bruno's chance to live up to his Uncles statement. I hope he helps bring Williams up the grid over the next 2 seasons ...

regards, Paul

markc
18-01-2012, 09:02 PM
I have Sky HD anyway so it the new Sky/BBC won't effect my ability to see everything live. Sky usually do a top job on covering the sports they get involved in and with a dedicated HD channel I have high hopes for the increased coverage. As a proper F1 anorak I'm almost more interested in the bits that go on between the actual races so look forward to seeing this rather than getting it from Autosport or f1fanatic.co.uk

Like you Paul I'd love to see Williams back up at the sharp end and it'd be great if Bruno can take them there :) Even better if they (Williams) swap fortunes with Ferrari, I love it when they're struggling and the car is sh!t :bigsmile:

Cheers

Mark

m666 edd
18-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm told that if you Sky HD, then you can see F1 for free this season. TBH, family commitments mean that I rarely see the race live unless its early o'clock, so BBC coverage wont (I hope) be that different apart from Mr Brundle has jumped ship I believe?

From what I've read - The races that aren't fully covered by the BBC will only show highlights. There will be no full re-run available.

jaytip
20-01-2012, 12:06 AM
From what I've read - The races that aren't fully covered by the BBC will only show highlights. There will be no full re-run available.
I believe the BBC will have full coverage of 10 races and highlights for the rest.

NZNick
20-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/7755219.stm) is the official BBC line. Also this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/15893254.stm) for more detail.

My view on commentators is that Martin Brundle is up there with James Hunt as being the most entertaining all round commentator that I have ever heard. Shame they couldn't have been a double act...... that would have been fun !!

SILVER BULLET
04-03-2012, 08:21 PM
So, as the day draws ever nearer has anyone bowed to the pressure and signed up to SKY F1 or are you hoping that it fails miserably and the BBC gets it back in the near future.

I just can't bring myself to pay the Murdoch empire 1p !

Senninha
04-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Was watching some of the trailer programmes earlier today .. they looked at winter prep for Lotus, Williams ad showed snipets of forth-coming filler programmes. I get the new channell for 'free' as I'm an HD customer anyway ... channel 408 for those with HD. Whether it will remain free I doubt very much but I'll take it while it is.

They will showing the winter testing sessions over a couple of programmes next weekend. Suspect they wil be heavily edited to make for an interesting programme. they are also running 2012 launch programmes. So in fairness, they do appear to be making an effort to give something that we've not previously had access too, even Bernie's pay to view channel didn;t offer any of these extras.

regards, Paul

gumball
04-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Looking Forward to the new season, be great to see Kimi back on the grid, the Lotus is looking reasonably good so far in testing. Hopefully the Sauber will be better this year too.

TheSebringOne
05-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Looking forward to only seeing half the races live, lets hope the highlights round up are ok?

As well as the usual suspect, I hope Mercedes & especially Williams, do better this season.

WhyOne?
05-03-2012, 07:51 AM
I have turned to the dark side and installed Sky HD along with a 1tb recorder. Giving money to Murdoch eally does grate and I now feel dirty.

However, having followed F1 obsessively for the last 30-odd years, it had to be done. The straw that broke the back of the decision for me was Sky getting the likes of David Croft, Anthony Davidson and most especially, Martin Brudle on-board. I have watched quite a few GP's on TV abroad and know what a difference a good, knowledgable commentary team makes.

As for the question of how long F1 stays as part of the Sky HD package I would be extremely disappointed if this wasn't a long term arrangement. Though given this is Sky, anything is possible. I am currently doing battle with them over a sound sync issue with a number of the HD channels. It transpires this is a long standing problem they hope to have resolved 'within a few months'.

SWMBO quite reasonably questions why we are paying Ł34 per month for an inferior service to the one we received for free on Freesat!

NSX 2000
05-03-2012, 09:19 AM
So, as the day draws ever nearer has anyone bowed to the pressure and signed up to SKY F1 or are you hoping that it fails miserably and the BBC gets it back in the near future.

I just can't bring myself to pay the Murdoch empire 1p !

Was watching some of the trailer programmes earlier today .. they looked at winter prep for Lotus, Williams ad showed snipets of forth-coming filler programmes. I get the new channell for 'free' as I'm an HD customer anyway ... channel 408 for those with HD. Whether it will remain free I doubt very much but I'll take it while it is.

They will showing the winter testing sessions over a couple of programmes next weekend. Suspect they wil be heavily edited to make for an interesting programme. they are also running 2012 launch programmes. So in fairness, they do appear to be making an effort to give something that we've not previously had access too, even Bernie's pay to view channel didn;t offer any of these extras.

regards, Paul

According to the advertising bill boards it states "All races Live and Uninterrupted" to me this means no advert breaks.

NSXGB
06-03-2012, 03:47 AM
I just upgraded my Sky+ to HD for Ł10 extra a month, got a free HD box and Ł50 M&S voucher. Saved from spending the time & money buying another satellite dish and watching in German. I'll sell the old Sky+ box on ebay so I must be quids in...

Problem Child
06-03-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm confused.

Do you need an HD subscription to watch F1, or simply Sky sports package

WhyOne?
06-03-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm confused.

Yes!

Or, more helpfully, you need either the Sky HD package or the Sky Sports package to receive the F1 channel.

If anyone is considering subscribing to Sky, drop me a PM - I can help you save Ł100 on the installation (and get Ł10 back myself!) on top of the M&S vouchers being offered by Sky.

gumball
07-03-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm confused.

They keep pushing HD as they want everyone to upgrade, but it is also shown on regular sky.

WhyOne?
07-03-2012, 12:01 PM
........but it is also shown on regular sky.

But only if you subscribe to the sports package.

markc
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Sky have been showing a 1hr loop on the F1 HD channel for a week or so now :)

It shows a time lapse video at the Williams factory of them building one of the new FY'12 cars up, a cameo on Emerson Fittipaldi, a short story on Mansell moving to Williams in 1986(?) and some nice HD footage from the last couple of seasons. Full programming starts Friday but this is worth a quick look when there nothing else in.

Hopefully Ferrari will actually be as slow at the first race as they've been looking in testing, but they could be sandbagging. We'll find out in just over a weeks time :D

Cheers

Mark

havoc
07-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Been doing a bit of research on 2012 F1 testing, and it does appear Ferrari are sandbagging a little bit. RB still seem to be the varsity though, and Mclaren still seem to be playing catch-up, but I'm more interested in how the mid-field furball is going to pan-out...Lotus, Sauber and Force India seem to have all made steps forward...

Complete guesswork forecast for Australia:-
- Red Bull victory, probably 1-2 barring retirements
- Alonso also on the podium
- Mclaren struggling to keep Mercedes at bay.

Hagasan
10-03-2012, 10:30 AM
....I gave in to the Murdoch Machine this morning!! Tried for the 1TB box upgrade for free but no go... Got the standard HD box free including delivery plus half price (Ł5.12) subs for a year.... no vouchers from M&S though but not needing any new pants & vests at the moment :D

nobby
18-03-2012, 04:26 PM
not a bad race today ... great to see button take victory :)

sky have certainly pushed the boat out in terms of coverage etc ... pretty much nabbing all the best personnel from the beeb and thrown the cash etc

not sure how long the dedicated channel will last though ... only so many times u can run the same stuff ... surely

TheSebringOne
18-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Great race, nice to see JB win & that RB are not as dominant, Williams showing lots of potential.

Also good to see MB have potential & the Iceman made an impression.

Getting rid of the blown diffuser should make racing closer.

gumball
18-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Great race to start the season. Kimi still pretty good and Kamui looks like he has a better car this year, he battled well with the broken rear wing.
Nice race from Fernando too, the car looks a right handful but still managed to drag decent laps out consistently.

Well done Jens on the win.

WhyOne?
18-03-2012, 09:08 PM
.... no vouchers from M&S though but not needing any new pants & vests at the moment :D

Through the wonder / idiocy of ebay, I converted Ł50 of M&S vouchers to Ł48 in petrol money!

I enjoyed todays race. I always like to see Jenson do well, but it was also a good race, lots of tussles through the field right up to (and most definitely including) the last lap.

It would be nice of Mercedes join the RBR / McLaren battle for honours. Hopefully the car will become reliable and allow the Brawn cleverness to score some big points.

Lewis was most certainly not a happy bunny at the end!

NSXGB
18-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Quite enjoyable. Good to see a much closer race. Vettel a little lucky with the safety car, poor old Lewis.

AR
18-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Quite enjoyable. Good to see a much closer race. Vettel a little lucky with the safety car, poor old Lewis.

Yes but still he raced well.

NSXGB
18-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Yes, he did indeed.

Problem Child
18-03-2012, 09:48 PM
He (Lewis) would be easier to like if he could lose with good grace.

He was well beaten by the best driver on the day but had a face like a slapped arse. Even Vettel congratulated JB more than Lewis did.

Senninha
18-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Lots of promise but a disappointing result for Willams . . .

Kamui showed good promise . . .

Alonso dragged that sorry looking F2012 to a hard earned result . . .

Kimi sneaks good result after the team let him down in qually . . .

Lewis a bitter loser . . .

Nice drive from Jenson

All of the above plus the close racing across the race would indicate we're in for a great season

Regards, Paul

nobby
18-03-2012, 11:52 PM
lewis was a total c@ck today ... no excuse for acting like a prick during podium and post press

jb is the better driver ... hope he whips his butt all season long

NZNick
19-03-2012, 07:05 AM
I think that Lewis was just frustrated at not getting any luck yet again whereas the grinning schoolboy world champion (Seb), received it in spades yet again. Lewis needs to be more philosophical.....

JB is the better driver and has proved it once again.

NSXGB
19-03-2012, 08:02 AM
+1.
That's exactly how I read it. Lewis is allowed to be disappointed, didn't think he was that bad considering the pressure they are under. Seb on the other hand had a right result so was understandably much more upbeat.

I do like Jenson but I'm not sure whether I'd say he's the best driver. He needs to improve his quali for a start and confidence in his machinery when not quite 100%.

I think that Lewis was just frustrated at not getting any luck yet again whereas the grinning schoolboy world champion (Seb), received it in spades yet again. Lewis needs to be more philosophical.....

NSX 2000
19-03-2012, 09:42 AM

+1.
That's exactly how I read it. Lewis is allowed to be disappointed, didn't think he was that bad considering the pressure they are under. Seb on the other hand had a right result so was understandably much more upbeat.

I do like Jenson but I'm not sure whether I'd say he's the best driver. He needs to improve his quali for a start and confidence in his machinery when not quite 100%.

I agree.

If it wasn't for some bad wheel spin he would of led, then he got to dwell on it for an hour, then just when he thought his luck was in, Oh No it's with Seb! So I'm not surprised he looked pissed off. But I think once he had time to reflect he looked happy again.

Anyway great race, Sky coverage not bad, but they had those stupid graphic things, the one which shows the driver turn to camera like they use on the Football and Rugby League.

NSXGB
19-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Anyway great race, Sky coverage not bad, but they had those stupid graphic things, the one which shows the driver turn to camera like they use on the Football and Rugby League.

I hate those too. Very americanised.....or is it americanised?

gumball
19-03-2012, 10:41 AM
I agree.

If it wasn't for some bad wheel spin he would of led, then he got to dwell on it for an hour, then just when he thought his luck was in, Oh No it's with Seb! So I'm not surprised he looked pissed off. But I think once he had time to reflect he looked happy again.

Jenson fluffed his second gear change, so would have been further ahead, lots of if's and but's.

Hagasan
19-03-2012, 11:41 AM
I hate those too. Very americanised.....or is it americanised?

Don't you mean AmericaniZed :D

I'm more worried about the chances of the channel graphics damaging a Plasma TV when on for a few hours. Retention ultimately leads to screen burn...

NSXGB
19-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Lol, I did type the second one with a 'zee', but damn phone spell correct thingy didnt see the same ironic value in my post. :)

NSXGB
19-03-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm more worried about the chances of the channel graphics damaging a Plasma TV when on for a few hours. Retention ultimately leads to screen burn...

Has the girlfriend been asking why it says 'Playboy TV' in the corner of your telly Gary?!

WhyOne?
19-03-2012, 01:30 PM
One of the highlights of the race for me was Kimi radioing the pits to ask why all the marshals were waving blue flags at him!!!

gumball
19-03-2012, 01:50 PM
One of the highlights of the race for me was Kimi radioing the pits to ask why all the marshals were waving blue flags at him!!!

I think he mentioned blue lights, TV folks had a bit of a laugh about that, but apparently Jenson radioed a similar thing. Maybe the organisers had a bit of a problem sending dashboard blue lights to the wrong cars.

At around nine minutes in Jens says about the flags.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpistf_2012-f1-australian-grand-prix-pit-channel-team-radio-feature_auto
Interesting stuff.

Senninha
19-03-2012, 02:49 PM

MAde few people laugh this one ...

Did anyone else spot Kimi in the second DRS zone with his wing OPEN whilst not following anyone?? About 2/3rds through the race ... I'll try and find it

WhyOne?
19-03-2012, 03:42 PM
I didn't notice that Paul, but did on occasion see this last year (though not with Kimi at the controls, obviously!)

This has to be a race control/software glitch as it is they who prime the system of use.

TheSebringOne
19-03-2012, 09:54 PM
JB was only a 10th of a second from pole, so may be hes now improved the one weakness that cost him races in previous seasons.

Having said that its only the first race of twenty.

havoc
19-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Well, my prediction was pretty-much arse backwards...good job i'm not a betting man! Good first race though - even though JB controlled it, behind him it was a proper furball.

SV is still worryingly quick, and I can see the new Red Bull showing better at the faster circuits, so until 'upgrades', this is shaping up to be a very close fight between them and Mclaren, with Mercedes trying to spoil things by qualifying first and then holding people up.

Much as Lewis CAN appear petulant etc., he's perhaps the most competitive of the lot, and at least he's not the characterless corporate-man that half of them seem to be nowadays - compare LH with e.g. James Hunt or some of the other old-timers and all of a sudden Lewis appears very well-mannered

Thought Alonso did his usual impeccable job - if he wasn't there Ferrari would've been also-rans for 3 seasons now. Sauber and Lotus-Renault seem to be the pick of the 2nd-string teams - hope to see them mixing it up in the top-6 more often.

gumball
21-03-2012, 03:26 PM
A post in memory of Ayrton Senna. RIP.

Senninha
21-03-2012, 05:39 PM
A post in memory of Ayrton Senna. RIP.

http://www.formula1blog.com/2010/03/21/ayrton-senna-50th-birthday-memories/

http://www.motorsportretro.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Senna-liked-to-win.jpg

gumball
25-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Forza Ferrari! :D
Great race from Checo, unlucky kamui, next time.
And a shout for little bruno, his best F1 race to date.

So quiet here, Am I the only non sulky McLaren fan. ;) :)

No tin foil hats here I hope..

gumball
14-04-2012, 08:16 AM
^Kamui helmet here. :)

Go Kamui! third on the grid!

gumball
24-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Another great race, another lonely post... ;) :laugh:

Senninha
24-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Another great race, another lonely post... ;) :laugh:

Well it was following the safety car period ... it all came alive then.

A few missed opportunities, and a few reckless moves. I can't see Pasta getting away without penalty similar to Schumi, so expect 5 place drop next grid.

And I didn't get the Bruno penalty ... was sure that was going the other way ... he's not having the luck this year!

What was JB's problem ... surely even he could get heat into the tyres today.

Alonso earned the victory but would have been good to see the Lotii push him to the end ...

Problem Child
24-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Great drive by Alonso showing what a brilliant competitor he is.

Pity Hamilton could admit his stupidity again

gumball
25-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Well it was following the safety car period ... it all came alive then.

A few missed opportunities, and a few reckless moves. I can't see Pasta getting away without penalty similar to Schumi, so expect 5 place drop next grid.

And I didn't get the Bruno penalty ... was sure that was going the other way ... he's not having the luck this year!

What was JB's problem ... surely even he could get heat into the tyres today.

Alonso earned the victory but would have been good to see the Lotii push him to the end ...

As Pastor finished the race his punishment was made there, he has a 20 second penalty, removing the points he gained.

WhyOne?
25-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Pity Hamilton could admit his stupidity again

Don't understand this comment?! (I suspect there is a typo - 'couldn't'....but even so, I still don't understand!)

I saw Hamilton's post race / post crash interview and I thought he handled the questions very well indeed.

He was asked 'wouldn't it have been better to let PM past and collect the points' to which he replied something to the effect 'I'm a racing driver, you don't just give up a position two laps from the end' which for me is exactly the correct response. It may not be a mindset that necessarily wins you the championship, but it is most certainly the way a proper racing driver should think IMHO.

m666 edd
25-06-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm not Hamilton's biggest fan but in this instance Hamilton was completely blameless in what happened. He was racing whilst his rear tyres were in a bad state which is nice to watch. Maldonado went off the track because he refused to let off on the throttle then just drove back onto the track without even trying to turn away from Hamilton. He had no right to come from an off track position and just drive into a car that has track position.

I think Maldonado is a dangerous driver and I bet there is plenty more of that to come.

20 second penalty! So he lost his 1 point for finishing 10th unlike Hamilton losing getting 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

gumball
25-06-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm not Hamilton's biggest fan but in this instance Hamilton was completely blameless in what happened. He was racing whilst his rear tyres were in a bad state which is nice to watch. Maldonado went off the track because he refused to let off on the throttle then just drove back onto the track without even trying to turn away from Hamilton. He had no right to come from an off track position and just drive into a car that has track position.

I think Maldonado is a dangerous driver and I bet there is plenty more of that to come.

20 second penalty! So he lost his 1 point for finishing 10th unlike Hamilton losing getting 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

If he had a grid drop for next race(as the ones who didn't finish due to their mistakes had), he would still probably pick up points at Silverstone. Massa, Bruno and who ever it was Verne drove into would also have had better result had they not been driven into, but musn't cry over spilt milk..

Senninha
25-06-2012, 04:04 PM
........I think Maldonado is a dangerous driver and I bet there is plenty more of that to come..........

20 second penalty! So he lost his 1 point for finishing 10th ..........

I'm inclined to agree with the first comment ... especially when he's on the edge or under pressure. Maybe its his way of trying to get space around him??

As for the penalty, whats happened to the consistency this year? Schumi punts Senna off from a late braking incident and gets 5 places, PM gets 20 secs and chance to go for Pole next race ....

Guess it wouldn't be F1 if it was consistent and fair up and down the pitlane ....

NSXGB
25-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Surely it would have been better and easier for Patsy Mouldynado to have carried on 'off track', the shorter route round that corner, and he would have got past with a good excuse of being muscled wide. I think it was unnecessary and agree that he should have received the 5 place grid drop instead of the 20 sec penalty. Totally avoidable. Actually, if a driver is deemed to have made a mistake and the other driver DNF as a result, should they not be banned from the next race themselves?

Problem Child
25-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Don't understand this comment?! (I suspect there is a typo - 'couldn't'....but even so, I still don't understand!)

I saw Hamilton's post race / post crash interview and I thought he handled the questions very well indeed.

He was asked 'wouldn't it have been better to let PM past and collect the points' to which he replied something to the effect 'I'm a racing driver, you don't just give up a position two laps from the end' which for me is exactly the correct response. It may not be a mindset that necessarily wins you the championship, but it is most certainly the way a proper racing driver should think IMHO.

I'll give you the first one...it was a typo but as for Hamilton he's dangerous. I thought Maldonado's driving was fine, but I accept Hamilton fans will disagree. Its a game of opinions.

havoc
25-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm not a Hamilton fan, but even I can see that one was 100% Maldonado's creation - he was off the race-track and he rejoined with nowhere to go but into another car. Think his penalty was too light, TBH.

Hamilton dangerous? On occasion maybe, but less-so (certainly no more so) than Schumacher, Senna and Prost. He's aggressive, yes...but as above that's precisely what you need from a racing driver. Temper it with good judgement and you've the perfect temperament. As an example, contrast him with Button. Button technically is the smoother driver, but operates in a narrower window of set-up. Hamilton is the more 'natural', but is harder on the car. Temperament-wise they're opposites - Button lets his head drop when things start to go wrong, Hamilton comes out fighting...sometimes too much so.

I think (unlike Vettel) he's let the celebrity/image thing go to his head a bit too much, but I'd far rather see 'characters' in F1 (Hunt, Senna, Mansell, Raikkonen...) than soul-less corporate mouthpieces.

markc
25-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I thought Maldonado's driving was fine...

I think you're in a minority of 2 there, you and Pasty himself :)

Problem Child
25-06-2012, 07:02 PM
make that three

scottg
25-06-2012, 07:11 PM
When Hamilton first came into f1 he established a reputation for being an aggressive driver and other drivers were intimidated by him culminating in a very close challenge in his first season. He gained a lot of publicity and I think this changed the other drivers reactions to his overtaking moves hence the number of incidents he now gets involved in. In essence a game of chicken with no one backing down. This season he has started playing percentages and focused on finishing races but I am afraid yesterday he was taken out by a mistake from Maldonado, a young driver trying to prove himself (sound familiar)

WhyOne?
25-06-2012, 08:14 PM
In the incident with Maldonado Hamilton did nothing wrong.

His driving was agressive, but fair.

Maldonado should have bailed out and cut across the chicane. If this move resulted in him being in front of Hamilton, he would have been obliged to give the place back, but he still had a whole lap to have another go, and I strongly suspect that Hamilton would have struggled to resist.

PS - Geoff....who is no. 3 in your elite group?!

Problem Child
25-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Ha....you got me there too!

My elite group is more elite than I thought....only two of us!

markc
25-06-2012, 08:44 PM
PS - Geoff....who is no. 3 in your elite group?!

Pasty's girlfriend?... she can be the 3rd in my elite group anytime :D

Problem Child
25-06-2012, 08:48 PM
No 3.....
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Pastor+Maldonado+F1+Grand+Prix+Hungary+1tEJDukE2J7 l.jpg

TheSebringOne
28-06-2012, 12:10 AM
What do people think of the closeness of the racing, especially with less than two/tenth of a second separating top ten in Q2.

So many different winners until Alonso second win at Valencia? So unpredictable.

Why JB is struggling so much, especially with his tyre management skills?

AR
02-07-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm inclined to agree with the first comment ... especially when he's on the edge or under pressure. Maybe its his way of trying to get space around him??

As for the penalty, whats happened to the consistency this year? Schumi punts Senna off from a late braking incident and gets 5 places, PM gets 20 secs and chance to go for Pole next race ....

Guess it wouldn't be F1 if it was consistent and fair up and down the pitlane ....

I agree with you Paul 100% Except that Maldonando ( Ill given ) is very well given. When you are a paid driver with the backing of a mega rich dictator who owns the title sponsor...

gumball
23-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Excellent race from Kamui, I hope he can repeat this for some more races, maybe his first podium, get more consistent to help keep his seat.

Oh and, Forza Ferrari! :bigsmile:

Senninha
23-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Agreed, your boy did good!

Driver of the day for me was Kimi pulling off some superb wheel to wheel overtakes throughout the race even thought the Lotus is still not delivering on expected race pace.

Thought the old man showed glimpses of past determination despite slipping from 3rd to 6th by the end.

Good confidence boost for JB after recent lack lustre results.

Any more news on the RB tampering scandal??

regards, Paul

gumball
24-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Sauber cutaway, interesting stuff,
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z148/gumball3ooo/022_1900.jpg

hmm, image has come up quite small.. the link for wallpaper size here:
http://www.sauberf1team.com/en/sauber_c31/appearance.cfm?t=4

NSXGB
01-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Go Kamui!
Going to be a good race tomorrow.

gumball
01-09-2012, 03:19 PM
An excellent lap from Kamui, shame we didn't get to see it. Hope for some good luck and a good start in tomo
rrows race. :)

gumball
02-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks a lot GrosJean..

goldnsx
03-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Not only should he be banned for Monza but also for the rest of the year. 7th time this year.

Senninha
03-09-2012, 11:12 PM
On board footage very scary stuff ... really dissapointing for Kamui ... I'm sure Pasta contributed by jumping the start as his actions must have distracted others, still he's 10 spots down the grid next weekend.

So who fills the 2nd Lotus seat next weekend then??

WhyOne?
04-09-2012, 07:07 AM
d'Ambrosio would seem the obvious choice.

havoc
04-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Not only should he be banned for Monza but also for the rest of the year. 7th time this year.

Really? Can't say I've noticed Grosjean forcing people off the road...he's never struck me as a dirty or an overly-hard racer, unlike some on the grid (including at least 2 world champions), nor clumsy like Maldonado, who until this weekend has appeared to get away with all sorts of crap...but then maybe having a billionaire patron helps?!?

WhyOne?
05-09-2012, 07:12 AM
In some respects I agree, but I suspect the bump Grosjean was involved in (and to my eyes, caused) at the weekend was the straw which broke the camels back. To fail to complete the first laps in 7 out of 12 races has to be down to something more than a little bit of ill-fortune!

WhyOne?
28-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Hamilton to Mercedes confirmed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19755236

m666 edd
01-10-2012, 12:28 PM
As off-topic doesn't show when using the "new posts" button I don't notice these updates any more.

Will be interesting to see how the treatment of Button and Hamilton pans out for the rest of the season.

Senninha
01-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Especially with the rule changes for next year, I'm sure Martin will want to keep Lewis aay from any further development of next years car ....

anybody else heard the rumour that Honda could be coming back for the new engine category .... McLaren Honda does have a nice ring to it ....

WhyOne?
02-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Yes, I had read that, though the article was written in hope more than being based on anything substantial. Another potential fly in this particular pot of ointment is Bernies very public oposition to the new engine formula. He wants to retain the 2.4 V8's.

I firmly believe that Honda belongs in F1 as an engine supplier. I am living proof that this sells cars - their involvement with Williams in the Turbo years, and later with McLaren (I saw the first shake-down runs of both their V10 and V12 engines) is what attracted to the marque. 10 Honda road cars later, I'm still a fan, though I struggle to find anything in the current range which excites me.

NSXGB
05-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Hey Ed, if you use the 'activity stream', nothing will get past you. That shows blog updates and replies too, which is handy.

As off-topic doesn't show when using the "new posts" button I don't notice these updates any more.

Will be interesting to see how the treatment of Button and Hamilton pans out for the rest of the season.

Senninha
07-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Well that's made things interesting!

Great result for Kamui and Japan .."..

Anyone else think Alesi and Stallone are from the same gene pool?

gumball
07-10-2012, 08:22 AM
KAMUI!! Excellent race, now do it agin next week.

NSXGB
07-10-2012, 08:27 AM
第三小林可夢偉 !

Grosjean needs to sort himself out.

Senninha
07-10-2012, 11:29 AM
第三小林可夢偉 !

Grosjean needs to sort himself out.

Did you here Herberts comments? He's up for sacking him!

gumball
07-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Did you here Herberts comments? He's up for sacking him!

It's a tough call to know what to do, a lot of aggressive drivers go through bad patches(naming no names ;)). But Romain was wild last time he tried at Renault, how many chances do they give him?

Senninha
28-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Some good early laps with great wheel to wheel action, but then fairly dull until the final few laps.

Pleased for Bruno as he was stronger all weekend than in recent races.

Seb would appear to have one hand firmly on the title, but for sure Fernando isn't letting go just yet .. I hope they give him a bit more for next weekend ...

NSXGB
28-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Very dull circuit IMHO, apart from the start was there any proper overtaking outside the DRS zone?

Never thought I'd be cheering on Alonso for the title but I think he deserves it more than anyone this season. He's probably had the third fastest car at best all season and is giving Vettel a good run for his money.

WhyOne?
28-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Never thought I'd be cheering on Alonso for the title but I think he deserves it more than anyone this season. He's probably had the third fastest car at best all season and is giving Vettel a good run for his money.

Ditto.

He is clearly outdriving that car, and has been all season - a mark of a truly great driver in my book.

I also quite like him for his single-mindedness and 'dont give a damn about the rest' attitude!

NSXGB
04-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Best race for I don't know how long, Vettel definitely helped himself to a large slice of luck. About time Kimi & Lotus stood on the top step.

"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing"! Class.

gumball
04-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Best race for I don't know how long, Vettel definitely helped himself to a large slice of luck. About time Kimi & Lotus stood on the top step.

"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing"! Class.

A great race, great to see Kimi on top again,
also good to see Kamui stay out of trouble.

I've just bought a sticker on eBay with Kimi's radio message on it, they don't waste any time do they? Lol
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z148/gumball3ooo/104d2ded5c85f4ce461ca21b76cbc7e0.jpg

Senninha
05-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Agreed, a much more interesting race. You have to feel for Lewis, but congrats for Kimi ... did you hear his later comments about tyre warming for the restart, equally as amusing as the leave me alone comment.

Shame about the post race podium comments .... :eek:

gumball
05-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Agreed, a much more interesting race. You have to feel for Lewis, but congrats for Kimi ... did you hear his later comments about tyre warming for the restart, equally as amusing as the leave me alone comment.

Shame about the post race podium comments .... :eek:

"Yes yes yes yes I'm doing that, you don't have to remind me every ten seconds!"
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FrDDn8ZY9wk

NSX 2000
15-11-2012, 09:09 AM
A great race, great to see Kimi on top again,
also good to see Kamui stay out of trouble.

I've just bought a sticker on eBay with Kimi's radio message on it, they don't waste any time do they? Lol
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z148/gumball3ooo/104d2ded5c85f4ce461ca21b76cbc7e0.jpg

This made me LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20267305

Paul

Senninha
16-11-2012, 12:12 AM
this could be interesting, especially the uphill breaking into T1!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3CjAc5cTzfA/T1-wEYEdWfI/AAAAAAAAACk/F4ZRFJ8Kc8s/s1600/COTA-track-information.png

regards, Paul

gumball
16-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Pic at the top of the page from turn 1:
http://www.yallaf1.com/2012/11/15/austin-has-bits-of-f1-classics-suzuka-silverstone-turkey-and-hockenheim/
It's been so hyped up it's going to be hard to live up to. But is looking very good.

NSXGB
19-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Pic at the top of the page from turn 1:
http://www.yallaf1.com/2012/11/15/austin-has-bits-of-f1-classics-suzuka-silverstone-turkey-and-hockenheim/
It's been so hyped up it's going to be hard to live up to. But is looking very good.

I really enjoyed it, great race. The Red Baron was up to his old tricks, trying to push Button off the track, be sad to see him finally go in a way!
Vettel didn't appreciate being overtaken, not had to deal with that too much I suppose. Thought he was going to cry!

COME ON ALONSO!

markc
19-11-2012, 02:35 PM
COME ON ALONSO!

Ferrari and Alonso "cheating" again, no surprise there I suppose. Hopefully they will keep it clean in Brazil but it feels like everyone except the Red Bull squad is determined to give this years championship to him :(

COME ON VETTEL!

NSXGB
19-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Ferrari and Alonso "cheating" again, no surprise there I suppose. Hopefully they will keep it clean in Brazil but it feels like everyone except the Red Bull squad is determined to give this years championship to him :(

COME ON VETTEL!

More immoral than cheating, maybe. Not very sporting but cleaner than ramming someone off the track to win a championship as we've seen in the past...
Vettel has it in the bag really but I don't think he's the best driver this year. Would have been so interesting if his alternator had given up instead of MW's.

scottg
19-11-2012, 03:45 PM
More immoral than cheating, maybe. Not very sporting but cleaner than ramming someone off the track to win a championship as we've seen in the past...
Vettel has it in the bag really but I don't think he's the best driver this year. Would have been so interesting if his alternator had given up instead of MW's.

Best not to speak too soon. Vettel will no doubt qualify strongly to keep clear of Ferarri at the start but they could back Massa up to him during a pit stop and take his front wing off for example. I think the stewards could have a busy weekend.

Senninha
19-11-2012, 04:09 PM
How many conspiracy theories can we kick off I wonder ...

I would like to see Alonso take it because of what he has acheived with the machinary he's been given. He's demonstrated some very determined but fair driving to pull some incredible results out of the bag. Had it not been for a those couple of DNF's he would have been crowned by now IMO.

If as predicted its going to rain next weekend then it could all be down to luck anyway as a wet Brazil can be like driving blind through a mindfield ...

Good result for Jenson as well given he was in 18th at the end of the first lap ....

Whats the chances of resurfacing Brazil by the weekend, the new surface definately added some challenges!

I also hope that Brazil isnt the last time we see Bruno competing in F1 in a decent car, he should have done more and I wish he could have kept Pasta behind him yesterday, that would have helped his case.

markc
19-11-2012, 04:57 PM

I don't like Alonso but I do acknowledge his talent. He doesn't need the unfair advantages he arranges for his place in the F1 pecking order to be recognised... in many ways it only deminishes his stature.

A true great would have turned the team/Massa's offer down and if the team insisted, made his disagreement with it public ahead of the race. I'm not sure how many of the current grid would do that (perhaps only Kimi?) but that was how it used to be done. Moss, Clark, Peterson would be horrified at the thought as would Ken Tyrrell or even Frank Williams on the team/owner side.

Let's hope Alonso/Ferrari's "luck" runs out in Brazil and the car conks out :)

gumball
21-11-2012, 09:25 AM
One side of the track was much slippier so the option to get both cars on the other side of the grid was a great move. Lets hope Fernando can get far enough ahead to win the championship.

NSXGB
24-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Im sure Massa's gearbox is faulty again this week....

gumball
24-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Im sure Massa's gearbox is faulty again this week....

Looks ok to me.

NSXGB
24-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Looks ok to me.

It looked ok after last weeks qualifying too, very hard to spot. :-)

Senninha
25-11-2012, 06:35 PM
There was talk of conspiracy in Texas, so how's this for thought ......

all incidents at Brazil investigated ACCEPT Seb taking out Bruno in the first lap .... Did Bernie get involved? Would the drive through have pushed him lower than 8th? Were those flags really red/yellow or plain yellow? Could the championship be overturned post race "result" ?

interesting finale!

gumball
25-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Another great race from Fernando(and Massa today), Fernando the driver of the year in my eyes.
Excellent race from Kamui too, hope he gets a drive somewhere for next year.

TheSebringOne
25-11-2012, 09:01 PM
One of the best races in years especially with the rain playing it's part!

Can't wait for 2013! I wonder if Lewis will be thinking " Have I made the right choice ?! "

NSXGB
25-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Kimi also did a fantastic job this season with what he had under him.
Looks like Vettel did miss the yellow but nothing will come of it. I can't believe how well his car stood up to the Bruno impact, lucky not to get even a scratch to his front wing.

Last three races have been brilliant, great conclusion to the season.

NSX 2000
25-11-2012, 10:42 PM
I would like to see Alonso take it because of what he has acheived with the machinary he's been given. He's demonstrated some very determined but fair driving to pull some incredible results out of the bag. Had it not been for a those couple of DNF's he would have been crowned by now IMO.

But you could say the same thing about Hamilton and his DNF's.

With regards to todays GP I thought Hulkenberg should of got more than a drive through. If I had been Hamilton I would of set my pussy cat on him. As for McLaren that cost them 2nd place and a lot of wonga!

gumball
25-11-2012, 11:10 PM
But you could say the same thing about Hamilton and his DNF's.

With regards to todays GP I thought Hulkenberg should of got more than a drive through. If I had been Hamilton I would of set my pussy cat on him. As for McLaren that cost them 2nd place and a lot of wonga!

Don't see why he got a drive through, he just lost the back of the car like several drivers did.

Regarding the flag, red and yellow flag is ok to overtake under.

NSXGB
26-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Don't see why he got a drive through, he just lost the back of the car like several drivers did.

Regarding the flag, red and yellow flag is ok to overtake under.

The red and yellow was a few flags before the yellow in question, according to the coverage I watched after the race.