PDA

View Full Version : Christmas clean for the 2005 NSX

Marky
22-12-2011, 11:28 PM
This week I decided it was time to give the NSX a professional detail, so I contacted Justin at Gleaming Kleen. He spent two full days on the car whilst it was at Honda Chiswick. Attached are a couple of photos. Makes the car look like new, but have to be super careful when washing it now to make sure it stays that way!Happy holidays to everyone.

NSXGB
23-12-2011, 07:01 AM
Looks beautiful. I want one please Santa.

nobby
23-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Excellent job there Mark ... black looks super cool on these cars! :)

I really love ur motor!

just had my car pro detailed this year ... have gtechniq products etc all applied ... albeit the way she is sitting in my garage at the mo, you would not think it! :)

do you know what your guy used etc?

yeah, you need to get yourself a decent set of mitts, 2 bucket wash method and prepare to wash the car yourself from now on!

btw due to recent scalp on the roads due to VERY mild weather we have been having lately ... and my battery was/is dying

will try to get pcis up of my detail; when my detailer sends me the FILES!

Papalazarou
23-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Obviously valeters need a job too, but I'm surprised at the amount of owners who get their cars professionally cleaned when the process is actually quite straight forward and although hard work is very rewarding.
For me, it's an important part of ownership and the car experience.
Your car does look great though Marky.

Cheers,

James.

Marky
23-12-2011, 12:18 PM
I have no issue at all cleaning the car, but this was a professional detail, which involves two full days using a clay bar to remove bonded contaminants, a 3 stage machine polish, and Swissvax applied.

Papalazarou
23-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Sounds like they did a great job.

Cheers,

James.

m666 edd
23-12-2011, 01:23 PM
James,

You'll have to show me this cleaning process some time as I generally have no enthusiasm to figure out what products to use, in what order and what methods etc. I can imagine that it could become at least a bit enjoyable when you know what you're doing.

Ed

Papalazarou
23-12-2011, 02:32 PM
James,

You'll have to show me this cleaning process some time as I generally have no enthusiasm to figure out what products to use, in what order and what methods etc. I can imagine that it could become at least a bit enjoyable when you know what you're doing.

Ed

Bring it up sometime and we can take a look. It's all about the prep really. It can take a few hours to get the car ready to machine polish. Realistically, it would take two people a full day to do it properly. But once it's done, the maintenance isn't too hard.
I've given up some parts of the cleaning process as I now see them as overkill.
The two bucket thing for instance is a pain.
When I wash my car now I do the following;
1. If it's properly dirty, I'll spray TFR (traffic film remover) over the lower part of the car.
2. Jet wash off thoroughly.
3. Use a large bucket with shampoo (not fairy liquid: too harsh) and wash Mit.
4. Use plenty of water on the MIT and starting from the roof, gently do up to three linear strokes across the bodywork.
5. Return wash Mit to bucket brush away contaminants. Then repeat.
6. When the bucket is less than half full, top up.
7. To finish, jet wash thoroughly.
8. When using the shammy (synthetic works best for me), just lay the leather onto the bodywork and then lift off. The. Wring out and repeat.

I can see the benefits of using the two bucket method; reducing contaminates which may scratch the bodywork, but TBH if the car has been jet washed properly and you are careful with the wash Mit ( always use downwards strokes, no circular movements), it should be fine.
I think the most important thing is to be methodical. That way, it's tough to screw anything up. If you drop either the shammy or the wash mit, you really need to wash them out thoroughly.
I saw a car that had been detailed a month or two before ( damn I hate that word) and either the valeters had been lazy or the owner had washed it badly. Seems crazy to spend hundreds on getting your car clean then wash it like it was your nans car and you were ten.

Whilst I'm bitching, this whole expensive wax thing is rediculous and a little patronizing to the car enthusiast.
I've used good cheaper products and average expensive ones.
The £5K a pot beeswax they use on the prestige stuff is plain stupidity.

Cheers,

James.

nobby
23-12-2011, 02:51 PM
A really good professional detail imho does give a massive lift to your car.

as you say James the whole wax thing is ludicrous now and the sheer amount of stuff at crazy money is ridiculous. the guy i used for my detail has said most of that stuff is rubbish and he uses a core set of products ... aftercare is paramount to maintaining a good exterior look ... your guidelines are pretty spot on. in terms of drying off mate, get yourself a couple of those decent sized drying towels ... great job.

Papalazarou
23-12-2011, 05:09 PM
A really good professional detail imho does give a massive lift to your car.

as you say James the whole wax thing is ludicrous now and the sheer amount of stuff at crazy money is ridiculous. the guy i used for my detail has said most of that stuff is rubbish and he uses a core set of products ... aftercare is paramount to maintaining a good exterior look ... your guidelines are pretty spot on. in terms of drying off mate, get yourself a couple of those decent sized drying towels ... great job.

I think the drying towels would certainly cut down drying time. I guess I should get one:)
Regarding polishes etc; PeteM has got me using the Poorboys sealant and wax. Both very good and not expensive. My uncle owns a Valeting company so I often use the Supaguard product prior to wax. It's a great sealant and means you can just keep topping up the wax after you washed the car.
The Autglym extra finish is also good as a top up and is easy to apply.
I think the most important part of cleaning the car for the overall look, is to finish every part of the car. Stuff like tyre dressing and products for rubber and plastics make all the difference. The other thing that let's down a great finish is polish stuck in cracks like between the rear wing and bumper, around the centre braking light or between the black door trim and the door, key hole etc. Getting all these areas right make a big difference.

Cheers,

James.

Marky
23-12-2011, 06:45 PM
James, how about we all meet up at your house one Sunday for a car wash.... and then a drive and pub lunch

Papalazarou
23-12-2011, 08:07 PM
James, how about we all meet up at your house one Sunday for a car wash.... and then a drive and pub lunch

Sure, I'd be up for that. I warn you guys in advance that I live in the south-west and it's a little different to the big city;)
But yes, perhaps the beginning of spring.

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
23-12-2011, 08:44 PM

That brings back memories ... It was a meeting like this at Matts factory that got owners interested in all things valeting, like clay bars, compounds, waxes and dressings!

IIRC X626 was the first to sample the finer touch offered by James, and so began his NSX OCD (obsessive cleaning disorder)

Of course, if you can't be a**ed to do all of the above, wrap it and let the local east Europeans wash it for a fiver when you forget what colour it should be, lol

Regards, Paul

Rob_Fenn
24-12-2011, 08:40 AM
The car looks gorgeous!

Tokyo-Joe
24-12-2011, 09:20 AM
The car is looking really nice, the facelift parts work great together :)

TheSebringOne
24-12-2011, 10:59 PM
The car looks stunning!

NSX-FAN
25-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Gorgeous car, want want want, detailer looks to have done a super job.