PDA

View Full Version : Guess my new car.

NSX 2000
20-12-2011, 11:53 AM
After having my daily driver for two and half years, I traded it in for a new stead at the weekend.

Like the car it replaces, it never wins in a group test (at least any I can find) yet it is a very accomplished car. Like the NSX it is made of Aluminium (well approx 60% Alu, 40% steel). Several members are fans of the sub brand that this car is from.

Virtual :beer: to first right answer, or more clues if you can't get it right.

Paul.

NoelWatson
20-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Audi A8....

NSX 2000
20-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Audi A8....

Very good first guess, but no cigar :think:

Geraint
20-12-2011, 12:40 PM
I was going to punt A2, but...
sub brand.Datsun aka Infiniti?

sorepaws
20-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Skoda Superb ?

m666 edd
20-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ if you're talking a pre-order!

NSXGB
20-12-2011, 03:04 PM
I think a Jag XK?

NoelWatson
20-12-2011, 03:26 PM
I think a Jag XK?

I initially thought Jaaaaag, but then why replace one with another. If it were a Jaaaag, I would guess XF

NSX 2000
20-12-2011, 04:02 PM
I was going to punt A2, but...Datsun aka Infiniti?

Geraint has got the big clue, but still no cigar.

No not another Jag but I nearley did a deal on a XFR, 2nd hand you get a lot of car for the money, but I think they would still loose a lot of money.

NoelWatson
20-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Geraint has got the big clue, but still no cigar.

No not another Jag but I nearley did a deal on a XFR, 2nd hand you get a lot of car for the money, but I think they would still loose a lot of money.

I was very tempted by XFR, but it has direct injection, so bit hesistant.

Geraint
20-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Lexus GS ?

TheSebringOne
20-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Audi? S5 or S6?

NSX 2000
20-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Audi? S5 or S6?

So close James, but no cigar :D

TheSebringOne
20-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Right, A5 or A6 or S4? Getting desperate!

sorepaws
20-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Audi A7 - in white !

Geraint
20-12-2011, 06:14 PM
It would be stretching the definition to call Audi a sub-brand, I'd have thought.

No reply to my guess... :)

sorepaws
20-12-2011, 06:44 PM
It would be stretching the definition to call Audi a sub-brand, I'd have thought.

No reply to my guess... :)

Audi is part of the VW Group - SEAT, lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti, Skoda, VW, Audi but all regarded as "Brands"

sorepaws
20-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Newport News Shipbuilding is a "Sub" brand *grin

Geraint
20-12-2011, 06:56 PM
all regarded as "Brands"
That's my point exactly.

He's not going to say 'Audi S-' or 'Audi RS-' is a sub-brand, is he...? :laugh:

Silver Surfer
20-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Audi S8 or VW phaeton?

SS

havoc
20-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Given some of the comments we're talking an RS4 or RS5, aren't we?

No...wait a minute...sub-brand as in Citroen's 'DS'! It's a DS5, isn't it!?!

Silver Surfer
20-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Lexus GS450H

SS

NSX 2000
21-12-2011, 09:09 AM
No right answers yet so another clue.

Like the Honda NSX this car has no numbers in it's name.

Geraint
21-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Range Rover Evoque?

sorepaws
21-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Bentley Continental

NoelWatson
21-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Bentley Continental

This one?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/CARS/news/stephen_ireland_buys_girlfriend_unique_bentley.htm l

sorepaws
21-12-2011, 09:51 AM
This one?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/CARS/news/stephen_ireland_buys_girlfriend_unique_bentley.htm l
Oh dear ! Looks more like an own goal

markc
21-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Audi TT?

Cheers

Mark

havoc
21-12-2011, 10:00 AM
TT RS then...good call Mark.

m666 edd
21-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Acura NSX :P

NSX 2000
21-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Audi TT?

Cheers

Mark

TT RS then...good call Mark.

We have a winner/winners, yes it is a TT RS. I collect it on Friday.

My clue about sub brand is something I read in one of the reviews, saying that RS cars are sub brand like AMG or M cars.

Geraint
21-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Gah, misleading clue derived from too much marketing guff. :thumbsdown:

I'm calling foul on that.

Nice car though, fancy posting some pics?

markc
21-12-2011, 01:05 PM
My clue about sub brand is something I read in one of the reviews, saying that RS cars are sub brand like AMG or M cars.

A sub brand within the quattro sub brand within the Audi brand of VW AG :D

Siobhan ('er indoors) has a TT Roadster in 2.0 TFSI DSG form. It's nice but a little bit of a blunt instrument and not quite my thing, not that I'm allowed to drive it very often! It replaced her S2000 because she needed an auto to accommodate her advancing arthritis. I reckon 90% of the time it's quicker than the S2000 but less fun 100% of the time :)

As you say the TTRS usually comes second to the Caymen in road tests but it's certainly an effective bit of kit. The 5 pot "warble" is a good, and differant, noise :cool: Probaly faster than the NSX as well :eek:

Good luck with it and post some pics when it arrives.

Cheers

Mark

sorepaws
21-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Is the NSX gone now ?

NSXGB
21-12-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm calling foul because you said it was a car for you, not your wife. :)

NoelWatson
21-12-2011, 02:14 PM
I collect it on Friday.

It is not too late to cancel!!

NSX 2000
21-12-2011, 03:15 PM
After having my daily driver for two and half years, I traded it in for a new stead at the weekend.

Paul.

Is the NSX gone now ?

Mike it's the daily driver that has gone, not the garage queen :D

NSX 2000
21-12-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm calling foul because you said it was a car for you, not your wife. :)

Part of the deal was SWMBO must like it as well, as they will be driving it from time to time, and I will admit we did like her mk1 TT, but that was a convertible with only 150bhp :eek:

Nick Graves
21-12-2011, 04:58 PM
It is not too late to cancel!!

:D

Just make sure it's got a very comprehensive warranty; I've heard too many stories...

markc
21-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Is it a manual or DSG/S-tronic car? There have been a few issues with the latter but I have to say it works remarkably well in normal driving. Somehow, in our one at least, when you're pressing on a bit neither "Normal" or "Sport" mode quite knows what to do and if you takeover with the paddles (Manual mode) it reverts back to auto if you don't use a paddle for about 20-30secs. Siobhan loves it tho' :)

Cheers

Mark

TheSebringOne
21-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Nice car Paul, you will have to let us know how it compares to the garage queen!

Paul, I didn't go for the TT since its a coupe & thought you needed the practicality for your bambino!

Evo mag ran one short term, quite interesting read.

My ex had an mk1 225 TT, nice to look at, but not as good as the mk2s.

Lankstarr
22-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Always viewed these as a poor R8 substitute... I would have thought second hand R8 values were close to new TTRS values and the cars are leagues apart.

My mat has a 60 plate R8 V10 which he's covered 22000 miles in so far with only one issue (quickly sorted by Audi), definitely falls into the daily driver category!

L*

Senninha
22-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Purely based on feedback from colleagues at work with high performance Audi's ... make sure you have a comprehensive warranty ... other than that, go enjoy yourself and once you practised your 4 wheel drifting we'll see you out Ice Racing soon ...

regards, Paul

NoelWatson
22-12-2011, 10:52 AM
:D

Just make sure it's got a very comprehensive warranty; I've heard too many stories...

Paul has been bored to tears hearing about the trials and tribulations of our 330i, so would be surprised if he took the risk of going without a warranty!

Nick Graves
22-12-2011, 11:04 AM
330i? And there was me thinking they were marginally less unreliable than the rest...

NoelWatson
22-12-2011, 11:07 AM
330i? And there was me thinking they were marginally less unreliable than the rest...

The old N52 was a lovely engine, but the N53 has a few "issues", in my sample size of 1. Been back in the garage eight times with engine related problems.

jaytip
22-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Guys even with a warranty you are not always safe.I have an 8 month old Citroen C3 Picasso as a taxi and i took it in for it's second service on Monday (19,464 miles) only to be phoned by the dealer and told that my discs and pads on the front were 95% worn and the rear discs and pads 85% worn.
I called Citroen GB because i was not happy about the rapid wear on the discs only to be told tuff luck in no uncertain terms due to it being a wear and tear item.End result was i had to fork out for complete discs and pads all round :angry:

NoelWatson
22-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Guys even with a warranty you are not always safe.I have an 8 month old Citroen C3 Picasso as a taxi and i took it in for it's second service on Monday (19,464 miles) only to be phoned by the dealer and told that my discs and pads on the front were 95% worn and the rear discs and pads 85% worn.
I called Citroen GB because i was not happy about the rapid wear on the discs only to be told tuff luck in no uncertain terms due to it being a wear and tear item.End result was i had to fork out for complete discs and pads all round :angry:

<20000 miles for disks does seem a bit rubbish. Almost as annoying as letting Honda fit new disks to NSX and then finding out that I could've got them for 1/3 of the price!

WhyOne?
22-12-2011, 01:09 PM

I believe the increased wear rates on brake disks are due to the removal of asbestos from the pads, which are now more abrasive.

Having said that, I had a similar call to you from Renault 2 or 3 years ago. I told them to leave it and took the car to my local village garage. I was told the rear disks / pads had loads of life left in them (ran for another 2 years no prob's!) and replaced the front disks / pads for about 40% of the cost Renault had quoted.

Geraint
22-12-2011, 01:16 PM
The more of this sort of thing I read, the more I think there's nothing all that wrong with a collection of old Hondas :)

markc
22-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Having said that, I had a similar call to you from Renault 2 or 3 years ago. I told them to leave it and took the car to my local village garage. I was told the rear disks / pads had loads of life left in them (ran for another 2 years no prob's!) and replaced the front disks / pads for about 40% of the cost Renault had quoted.

I have some sympathy for the dealer/service centres in that they are kind of forced to replace or at least recommend replacement of consumable items that MIGHT not make it to the next service interval, which have of course grown increasingly longer over the years. This assumes they're being honest of course. The expectation of the modern consumer, combined with their increasing mechanical incompetence, means that if the dealer/service centre doesn't do it and if the item wears out or fails before the next service, it's perceived by the customer as their fault. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't!

A little bit of mechanical knowledge will save a driver many £1000's during their motoring lifetime but it seems to have gone out of fashion. I know loads of people who wear their lack of knowledge of the workings of their cars as some kind of badge of honour... "Ha Ha, I don't even know how to open the bonnet". Clarkson is welcome to drive his obviously sick Maserati Merak to destruction in the name of TV entertainment (although it made my cry) but he doesn't have to pay for the repair!

By the way I really like the C3 Picasso, shame they don't make an auto :)

Cheers

Mark

m666 edd
22-12-2011, 02:38 PM
I know loads of people who wear their lack of knowledge of the workings of their cars as some kind of badge of honour...

Hah yeah I know exactly what you mean. They just better make sure they try to conceal it when talking to their local garage!

Nick Graves
22-12-2011, 03:05 PM

17,000 miles on Karen's 1.1 106. Actually, the pads were fine.

Got a firm enculez-vous as well.

Still went back for a second, which had the dangerous cutting-out problem they've apparently not solved to this day.

After Mazda paid up & looked big for a couple of tiny faults on my first MX-5 (plug leads £85 and a rattly exhaust heat sheild at three years) the lesson was learned.

Hence refusing to replace any of the Hondas, which are all at least a decade old.

Only slight gripe is the S2000's engine exploded a few months after I failed to extend the extended warranty. It has had rather a lot of track abuse/idiot driving it, although some of the F20cs do seem to have an explodey issue that Honda still doesn't quite understand, so it's probably 50/50.

NSX 2000
22-12-2011, 07:48 PM
I’ve bought a one and three quarter year old TT RS Coupe with a six speed manual gearbox, below are some answers to points raised.

The coupe is a 2+2 and I took one of my kids with me on the test drive to make sure they fit, and I can confirm they do. In fact number one child was so impressed they fell asleep during the test drive.

As the car is one and three quarters years old it still has over one year’s warranty left, however Audi do a warranty extension package as long you do it before the car is two years old. I have taken this option which has cost £900 and covers the car up to 5 years old, full European cover and fully transferable to a new owner. If you were to extend the warranty after 3years it would cost you £1500 per year, so the £900 seemed a no brainer, plus it will be a good selling point when I come to sell it in about 2 years.

I did do a search on problems/recalls etc. and the only fault that I could find on the internet with the TT RS was a problem with brake discs but this only effects 2009 cars, (Autocar had this problem with their long term car(mine is 2010)). It would appear the five cylinder engine and 6speed gearbox are OK (hang on one minute while I go and touch some wood :undecided:).

NSX 2000
22-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Always viewed these as a poor R8 substitute... I would have thought second hand R8 values were close to new TTRS values and the cars are leagues apart.

My mat has a 60 plate R8 V10 which he's covered 22000 miles in so far with only one issue (quickly sorted by Audi), definitely falls into the daily driver category!

L*

Hi Luke

I would of been more than happy to have an R8 but the car needed to have 4 or more seats and I wasn't allowed to look like a wanker sorry I mean banker. However I'm allowed to like a hairdresser :laugh:

Paul

TheSebringOne
23-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Paul, please post some pics in due course.

Cheers

Silver Surfer
23-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Hi Paul,
I drove my mates TTRS which came with us on the Essex run...it is a mighty fine point and shoot car with oodles and oodles of grip....kept up with the GT3 with little problem.
He has just had it remapped....unbelievable acceleration....sub 4 sec to 60 and the torque is immense.
Despite this, driving the NSX is still an occasion with much better feed back from the road.

Enjoy it.

SS

sorepaws
23-12-2011, 09:49 AM
An interesting issue around Warrantees and what is covered - did you know you are covered by the Sales of Good Act for up to 6 years ? If and item is designed to last for say 7 years and fails after 4 you are within your rights (providing you can prove that the failure was not as a result of abuse or damage) to a repair or replacement. I have a Civic Type R - last year (22,000 miles) they informed me the rear brake pads and discs were in need of replacement - a discussion with the dealer and a call to Honda - parts ordered and all costs covered by Honda, this year Dec (27,000) rear shocker failed ( these have a design life of 60,000 miles) again replaced and paid for by Honda.

The legislation covering this is an ammendment made to the Sales of Good Act 1979 in 2002 incorporating EU 1999/44

None of this covers "consumable" items - so brakes tyres etc are more marginal in terms of an absolute result, however they may pay for part costs. Your rights are through the retailer as well not with the manufacturer.

My next car will be ........ to be continued in 2012

NoelWatson
23-12-2011, 10:01 AM
An interesting issue around Warrantees and what is covered - did you know you are covered by the Sales of Good Act for up to 6 years ? If and item is designed to last for say 7 years and fails after 4 you are within your rights (providing you can prove that the failure was not as a result of abuse or damage) to a repair or replacement. I have a Civic Type R - last year (22,000 miles) they informed me the rear brake pads and discs were in need of replacement - a discussion with the dealer and a call to Honda - parts ordered and all costs covered by Honda, this year Dec (27,000) rear shocker failed ( these have a design life of 60,000 miles) again replaced and paid for by Honda.

The legislation covering this is an ammendment made to the Sales of Good Act 1979 in 2002 incorporating EU 1999/44

None of this covers "consumable" items - so brakes tyres etc are more marginal in terms of an absolute result, however they may pay for part costs. Your rights are through the retailer as well not with the manufacturer.

My next car will be ........ to be continued in 2012

So if our car has been back to the dealer eight times with engine related misfiring issues, you reckon I could get a replacement (M3 saloon!)?

sorepaws
23-12-2011, 10:18 AM
So if our car has been back to the dealer eight times with engine related misfiring issues, you reckon I could get a replacement (M3 saloon!)?

You may need to get an Experts report and talk to your local Trading Standards and CAB. What they (the retailer) will do has to be within reason - so to get a replacement car you would need to prove that the whole vehicle was unfit for purpose, this may be the case, in which case they should replace it. With cars it is more difficult - generally they will not replace the car once it is over 12 months old. It may take some time and perseverance but the law at least tries to protect the consummers interests.

Remember your case is with the retailer not the manufacturer, if you didnt buy it from the people you are now dealing with then they will not be so interested.

markc
23-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Only slight gripe is the S2000's engine exploded a few months after I failed to extend the extended warranty.

It's amazing what we're prepared to overlook if we like a product or brand. It doesn't get much bigger than total engine failure, "Average Joe" wouldn't touch that manufacturer ever again if it happened to them.

I'm kind of the same with Sony, I've had several duff products but I still like the brand and keep going back for more :doh:

Cheers

Mark

Nick Graves
24-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Well, it does & it doesn't.

The other three cars have provided something of a regression to the mean by having very few mechanical replacements indeed.

The F20c's reliability is a tad embarrassing for Honda, but then it does rev to 9K and produce 120bhp/litre.

It cost me far less for a new (secondhand) one than TDS slaves pay out for a litany of injector pumps and turbos and DSG solenoids and various FRED problems, so a sense of perspective is required.

Kaz-kzukNA1
24-12-2011, 01:54 PM
I’ve bought a one and three quarter year old TT RS Coupe with a six speed manual gearbox, below are some answers to points raised. The coupe is a 2+2 and I took one of my kids with me on the test drive to make sure they fit, and I can confirm they do. In fact number one child was so impressed they fell asleep during the test drive. ...............
Hi, Paul.
Very nice taste you have in selecting the car.

I don’t pay much attention to the max power for the production cars but puts high importance on the torque curve for the street driving.
I have never driven this model so very interested to hear about the driveability on the street by the actual owner who owns both the NSX and TT RS. I know some of the members here own/owned RS4.

As other members mentioned, would be nice to see some photos. Interesting to see the actual engine in the future as I think it has the dry sump design.

Enjoy it.

Kaz