PDA

View Full Version : Throw-out bearing GONE! Help.

03-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Ok, they put a new clutch in my car the day before I bought it. 32,000miles ago. Now the T/O bearing is gone and it is really not drivable (terrible noise and fear of an exploding T/O resulting in me being stranded in the rain, like usual).
I am pretty soft on clutches, and the clutch itself still seems to grip like new.
So I though about putting a non-honda one in there with an aluminium flywheel.

Any suggestions about what type? I have normal power but I hate heavy flywheels. I never do burn outs and clutches last a long time with me. Hey, how many miles is normal for an NSX clutch anyhow?

(terrible timing too, as I was going to drive it to the Autosport show at the NEC next week… :( )

PS: Any suggestions on how to soften my wife up again? She came and picked me up and boy is she pissed off! She thought me buying a really expensive car got us over all of these problems. She said her 11 year old Mondeo is still going! Oh and by the way on the way to get me, she was flirting with a DB9! (when she had to turn around as she got lost!)
Peter

Rob_Fenn
03-01-2006, 08:01 PM
The clutch on my dads NSX went the day he got it :lol:

It is one of the weak points. If it's not much more, go aftermarket. Still going to Autosport? My dad and i are there on the 14th.

-Rob

simonprelude
04-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Clutch / flywheel ??

Autosport yes there on the 12th and the 14th.

04-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Rob and Simon (and any others),
I will be there all 4 days.
I have a hotel nearby and after the show I will definitely have an Indian a couple of times since I’m in England and the other two times I will go to a pub and have Turkey or Roastbeef with Yorkshire Pudding and gravy. We don’t have that here. We should meet up during or after the show.
I'll PM my mobile number and you PM me yours. Then we can phone when convenient.

I'll have a normal car tho, it's going to take me a month to sort out the clutch in the NSX.
The dealer I know here says €1427 (£950) ex VAT for the clutch kit (all bits, includes flywheel! Strange).

Or €104 (£70) ex VAT for the T/O bearing, and €408 (£270) for the two clutch discs.

plus 12 hours work (£500) ex VAT.

Soooo. I may be doing it myself, then I will know for next time. But must take a few days off work, loose money. But my work is a heck of a lot more comfortable...hum. Don’t know what to do.

And I definitely don’t want to put Honda gold plated stuff back in the car, so I need an aftermarket one.
Peter

Rob_Fenn
05-01-2006, 10:26 AM
It would certainly be fun to all meet up.

Do you think the Honda Germany NSX will be there? Supposedly it has been to quite a few events like this.

Cheers

-Rob

UltraViolet
05-01-2006, 10:39 AM
710 - are you exhibiting at the Autosport show (wondering as going all 4 days) - if so - where?

I will be there on the media day so could come say Hi.

05-01-2006, 11:25 AM
No, not exhibiting. The show is like a Mecca for me. I like to take my time and see the hell out of EVERYTHING.

Which day is the media day, the first day?
We should meet up.
Peter

05-01-2006, 11:29 AM
I PMed all you guys with my phone number
Peter

Rob_Fenn
05-01-2006, 03:51 PM
The 12th is the media day, that's when we are there.