PDA

View Full Version : Newbie alert !!!

Yella
01-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Hi Just joined up to actually look into buying and owning an NSX, I must have grown up a bit in the last few years as usually I just don't bother and just go jumping in at the deep end, However with the NSX I don't think that would be the best idea as I really want to know what I'm getting in to, the do's and do nots of purchasing also whether importing is an option ???

I currently own a Nissan Skyline R33 Gtst which is on is 3rd turbo rebuild :rolleyes: Not my fault but that is the way my luck goes, the list of fails is epic with that car over the 5yrs I've owned it. I also have a Bmw 525d which I have fiddled with a little bit and is currently running on X5 wheels. Thats the cars out the way so a few hobbies.

amateur photographer and I have a go a short films now and then, unfortunately due to reasons beyond my control that side of things have been lacking this year hopefully working cars and getting back out there will fire up some inspiration again next year. Keeping fit and really want to do skydiving course next year as soon as money permits :)

Well thats me thanks for reading and I'll have a bloody good look round and take in some of this valuable info you have so kindly provided ;)

Cheers Russ

Senninha
01-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi Russ,

Welcome to NSXCB. There has been a good level of interest in the NSX this year in various publications. This has brought several new owners here looking for similar advise. There is a look b4 you buy guide on the site. This together with a scroll through the Health Check and refresh threads and the Blogs from Kaz will gice you more info than you know what to do with ....

Good luck in the hunt, and when you have an idea what you're looking for, post up a wanted add here and on Pistonheads ...

Good Luck

regards, Paul

havoc
01-12-2011, 06:44 PM
As Paul said - Kaz has an absolute wealth of knowledge, and his posts make really good reading.

Take your time, maybe test-drive one or two first so you've got a baseline for how the car should feel to drive (Targa's differ to Coupe's, though). And definitely look for a good history, ideally some evidence of repair/refurb work in addition to normal servicing if it's a 3.0 car.

Final comment - body panels and bumpers are VERY expensive, so beware any Cat-Ds which haven't been repaired to an immaculate standard.

Yella
01-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks for replies, been through a lot of the site so far. reading the differences between models and the like, learning a lot. It will be a while before I'm ready to buy unless in some miracle the dream car turns up and it's an absolute must have. I have the skyline to finish and have to at least make some good use of it before it's sold but we shall see.

Looking at cars in japan and although they are far less mileage wise I've not managed to find much under 22k so far. plenty of time yet though:D

havoc
01-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't worry about miles - mine had 90k when I bought it and in terms of ride, handling and performance it felt just as fit as the 47k 3.0 I test-drove a month or so before - Honda really did over-engineer the cars. Interior wears pretty well too.

Senninha
01-12-2011, 09:39 PM
For £22k I wouldn't even look at imports as all you'd get is a bucket of bolts less reliable than your Skyline. Many were lost in the tradegy in Japan (insignificant to human life and suffering), and they have a cult status which means they hold onto them. Then throw into the mix the world economy and shift in trading value of the Yen against the ££ and it does not make any sense to buy from Japan.

Are you looking for stock, mildly modded, manual or auto?

Yella
01-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Yeah I kinda got that feeling looking through the prices there, unrealistic way to go. So the idea has been shelved, did get an idea of what looks good and what doesn't for me though.

Midly modded dependant on mods or just stock. Def manual though.