PDA

View Full Version : Custom engine cover

Hondaboy
28-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Over winter I'm going to make my own custom engine cover not mesh but with lexan panels like the ones sold in USA will post pics of the finished result have two questions though if anyone can help

1. Does anyone know what grade of lexan or polycarb would be suitable

2. Or any idea what max temp the engine cover is subject to

This info would be helpful in getting it right first time

Cheers

A.S. Motorsport
06-12-2011, 09:40 AM
60-80c iirc was the max temp it would see in normal conditions.
I'd need to recheck that to be absolutely sure.

Don't forget your coolant reservoir won't like the UV rays.

eclipse1501
06-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Did the same thing myself and still really happy with the results. I posted pictures on here somewhere I think last year, made a clear window into the engine bay, just asked my local supplier and got the material (not sure its its a type of clear perspex on steriods) fit for the purpose. You will enjoy the whole process and good luck!

eclipse1501
06-12-2011, 12:49 PM
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?6119-Engine-cover/page2

this shows my DIY job photos

Hondaboy
06-12-2011, 08:48 PM
60-80c iirc was the max temp it would see in normal conditions.
I'd need to recheck that to be absolutely sure.

Don't forget your coolant reservoir won't like the UV rays.

Cheers for that should be fine then as the polycarb I've seen is rated to 140c
Also states that it's uv resistant though I'm going to upgrade my hoses and coolant tank anyway

Hondaboy
06-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Did the same thing myself and still really happy with the results. I posted pictures on here somewhere I think last year, made a clear window into the engine bay, just asked my local supplier and got the material (not sure its its a type of clear perspex on steriods) fit for the purpose. You will enjoy the whole process and good luck!
Very nice job similar to what I have in mind though I'm going to try it with the original carpet surface but if I don't like it was going to strip the carpet and spray it

Will post pics of my progress