PDA

View Full Version : Honda back to F1?

markc
21-11-2011, 02:15 PM
As an engine supplier, to McLaren, under the new 2014 engine formula... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9644185.stm

Makes sense on several levels and surely they'd want a road car showcase to run alongside the F1 program... new, V6+hybrid, "NSX" anyone :)

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
21-11-2011, 11:21 PM
I'd be interested if it still looks like the V10 that was screaming around the 'Ring a couple of years ago and has the SH-AWD ... and then once they have sold a few they could produce a very special Type R version of it with RWD and that V10, a folding hard top variant, a LWB version with more room for the kids ... the list of variants is endless.

My only requests ... no stupid scissor doors (are you listening Ron), and definately whatever else they do dont call it an NSX.

regards, Paul

NZNick
22-11-2011, 03:21 AM
The next Honda "sports" road car will be a hybrid along the lines of the Jaguar C-X16 but with a mid (petrol) engine. It will be constructed from aluminium and carbon composite fibres. I really hope that they steer clear of the NSX name, and the scissor doors.......

havoc
22-11-2011, 09:34 AM
The "next NSX" will go through 5 more iterations, each more outlandish and appealing than the last, only to be canned each time 'because of market demand'/'because of the economy'/'because the MD's grandmother doesn't like it'. It will finally appear in 2025 as a 1.5-litre V16 twin-turbo supercharged full-hybrid with iKERS, micro-jets, SH-AWD on all 6 wheels and up to 14 seats in MPV-configuration.

Or at least, that's what will happen in my mind... ;)

Nick Graves
22-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Due to the messiah's diary being full and AGW meaning hell's still too warm, there may be an extended wait for the new car to appear...

markc
22-11-2011, 11:34 AM
I'd be interested if it still looks like the V10 that was screaming around the 'Ring a couple of years ago and has the SH-AWD ...

Noooooo, not that monstrosity!

The next Honda "sports" road car will be a hybrid along the lines of the Jaguar C-X16 but with a mid (petrol) engine. It will be constructed from aluminium and carbon composite fibres. I really hope that they steer clear of the NSX name, and the scissor doors.......

As Nick said, it must be mid engined, have a properly low centre of gravity and I'd like them to stick to RWD only but packaging the hybrid kit lends itself to driving the other axle. The batteries required for a hybrid will stop it being light, but everywhere else it should use advanced materials to keep the weight down. I'd have no problem with this spec bearing the NSX badge or perhaps a something like F(Future)SX?

Personally I'm not averse to an interesting door hinge arrangement but "scissor" is for Lamborghini's only, as "gullwing" is for Mercedes only. In my mind Aston have ownership of "butterfly" doors, McLaren have laid claim to the "dihedral" design while Koenigsegg's variation of "dihedral synchro-helix" is all their own... what's left :)

Cheers

Mark

Dragonlady
22-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Noooooo, not that monstrosity!

As Nick said, it must be mid engined, have a properly low centre of gravity and I'd like them to stick to RWD only but packaging the hybrid kit lends itself to driving the other axle. The batteries required for a hybrid will stop it being light, but everywhere else it should use advanced materials to keep the weight down. I'd have no problem with this spec bearing the NSX badge or perhaps a something like F(Future)SX?

Personally I'm not averse to an interesting door hinge arrangement but "scissor" is for Lamborghini's only, as "gullwing" is for Mercedes only. In my mind Aston have ownership of "butterfly" doors, McLaren have laid claim to the "dihedral" design while Koenigsegg's variation of "dihedral synchro-helix" is all their own... what's left :)

Cheers

Mark

...........Sliding?

NSX 2000
22-11-2011, 11:54 AM
...........Sliding?

That use to be the Sherpa Van but the Peugeot 1007 now has that mantle :laugh:

Nick Graves
22-11-2011, 01:50 PM
It really ought to have some sort of battery/ultracapacitor combination (like KERS) and having e-torque vectoring to the front wheels seems inevitable. The anti-KISS principle has to have its day, I'm afraid,

As long as it represents a true advance as did the original, then OK.

Senninha
22-11-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm sure many agree with you MArk that it should be mid-engined but in today's economy and for the car the appeal to a wider buyers market I'm sure it will arrive as a front engine rear or AWD model. For me I think it is unlikely that the Honda's bank balance would stand for a low volume mid engine model ...

goldnsx
22-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Why not bring the NSX back to life, not a successor, they still have the molds to produce the body. Just upgrade it technically but fully, new engine, new technology. The car has much more potential whatever Honda ever let us view in the showroom in the past including NSX-R.

Honda back to F1, nonsense, just talk-talk of journalists must be bored at work. :)

Nick Graves
22-11-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm sure many agree with you MArk that it should be mid-engined but in today's economy and for the car the appeal to a wider buyers market I'm sure it will arrive as a front engine rear or AWD model. For me I think it is unlikely that the Honda's bank balance would stand for a low volume mid engine model ...

The rumour seems to be doing the rounds that they've overcome the issues of the DualNote show car of about a decade ago.

Since the FM plank has apparently been canned (there was gonna be a whole family of Acuras based upon it, like Nissan's FM plank), everything will be end-on transverse. The rumour goes that they'll take an Accord Hybrid/RL V6 and mount it amidships and electrify the front wheels.

It if IS a big CR-Z, they might as well kill themselves...

Nick Graves
22-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Why not bring the NSX back to life, not a successor, they still have the molds to produce the body. Just upgrade it technically but fully, new engine, new technology. The car has much more potential whatever Honda ever let us view in the showroom in the past including NSX-R.

Honda back to F1, nonsense, just talk-talk of journalists must be bored at work. :)

Believe me, if I'd have been in charge, it would still be in production in a heavily revised form!

It'd take far too much re-engineering work now, sadly.

The rumour is probably from McL, trying to beat up M-B over engine prices. Probably...

jaytip
22-11-2011, 10:31 PM
I think they should bring back the HSC and tidy the rear end up a bit.Here is a photoshop off NSX prime from a few years ago which (i think) is a vast improvement over the original design.