PDA

View Full Version : Yellow NSX Manual on Autotrader

Sagacitas
18-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Anyone know this car?

Yellow, Coupe, Manual, 86,000 miles.

Very close to me but just wanted to know if there was any known history to the car before going and seeing it (and probably falling in love and then arguing with the wife about needs & wants and such stuff) :)

Seems underpriced (lower priced than any of the autos currently listed).

Richard

Sudesh
18-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Its been damaged and repaired! Think from memory it's CAT D or C.

Was mentioned on the site a few months back,

umran9
18-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Anyone know this car?

Yellow, Coupe, Manual, 86,000 miles.

Very close to me but just wanted to know if there was any known history to the car before going and seeing it (and probably falling in love and then arguing with the wife about needs & wants and such stuff) :)

Seems underpriced (lower priced than any of the autos currently listed).

Richard

Its a Cat C Write off

Hagasan
18-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Makes it easier for those curious....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201140419068708/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/nsx/make/honda/radius/1500/page/1/quicksearch/true/postcode/wd33by?logcode=p

Unregistered
18-10-2011, 06:29 PM
So my question would be to understand why it was classified as a Cat C, who did the repairs and when etc.

At the price advertised it is certainly tempting and if you're looking at long term ownership (and you're satisfied with the answers to above), then what's to loose? You may even find you have an appreciating used NSX.

Papalazarou
18-10-2011, 07:35 PM
So my question would be to understand why it was classified as a Cat C, who did the repairs and when etc.

At the price advertised it is certainly tempting and if you're looking at long term ownership (and you're satisfied with the answers to above), then what's to loose? You may even find you have an appreciating used NSX.

There have been a few cat C cars come back up for sale in the last few years. They usually take a long time to sell and some are very well documented on this site, even though the owners refuse to be up front in the adverts.
I am not inferring any of the above applies to this car. I don't know it.
However, cat C usually means hit hard or badly flood damaged, so a potential owner needs to be certain about what they are buying.
As for an appreciating asset. Who knows.
In a perfect world, the repair history of each car would be documented and kept by the current owner. In reality, it gets lost or destroyed and a few years down the line the car's advertised as just having had a slight knock.

I hope this car was repaired properly and makes a good introduction into NSX ownership for someone.

Cheers,

James.

Hagasan
18-10-2011, 08:48 PM
I think depending on when this car was damage/repaired a Cat C could still be for "relatively" light damage. Given that Cat C generally means that a car will cost more to repair than what it will be worth after the repair it's quite easy to see how this could have been the case a few years back. No doubt the parts and labour were still fairly pricey but the values weren't quite so buoyant so the chances of writing of with a Cat C rather than Cat D might have been easier?

I think suggested flood damage, although possible, could be dramatising damage that may have been no more than innocent knock?

Best policy would be to take a look and if it's convincing then try and get a knowledgable member to possibly assist with a second opinion....

NSXGB
18-10-2011, 11:04 PM
If it's the one I'm thinking of, there are a few photos on here of some of the repair work.

nobby
19-10-2011, 11:33 AM
if i was in the market for one and had a set budget, i would defo go look at the car and bring a good mechanic/or someone from this site to look it over
surely at the money its worth a punt ... (after close inspection done and shows no issues) atm we have no idea to extent of damage done anyways

from the pics it does look like a good project etc

Sagacitas
20-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback all.

Should we have a section for info on cars that have been Cat C and Cat D? It would make it easier to look up cars that come up for sale to see. Just an idea.

Richard

Nick Graves
20-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback all.

Should we have a section for info on cars that have been Cat C and Cat D? It would make it easier to look up cars that come up for sale to see. Just an idea.

Richard

That's troublesome, because a £250 N5X plate hides all manner of sins!

There was a yellow goung round that had been heavily flattened at the front - dunno if it's this one. Getting the front straight on NSXs seens very troublesome, so it ought to be obvious.

Done correctly (with photographic evidence!) it oughtn't be too much of a problem. But you don't know who's done what & how, so the cars will always be suspect compared to a straight one & valued accordingly.

bernev
26-10-2011, 05:12 PM
I am always suspicious of ads which quote loads of meaningless and inaccurate twaddle. Have you ever seen an NSX with side air bags?

NSXGB
17-11-2011, 04:50 PM
If it's the one I'm thinking of, there are a few photos on here of some of the repair work.

I may be wrong but I think this is the one: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?4247-N5XTS-Road-to-recovery&highlight=timing+belt+replacement