PDA

View Full Version : Battery bracket woes

gcon45
15-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi guys.

Sudesh fitted a brand new battery bracket just over a year ago to my NSX and not long after the coating started to crack off and rust the metal underneath.

It seems that the steel underneath isn't primed with anything to bind the plastic coating to it, hence my problem:

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/5231/img0602ql.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/img0602ql.jpg/)

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Have Honda revised this part since?

Obviously I can't paint it as it would be conductive.

Senninha
15-10-2011, 04:47 PM
.........Obviously I can't paint it as it would be conductive........

Er, mine looked the same (albeit 8 yrs old at the time), so I stripped it, primed and painted it and its been fine ever since.

As it secures the battery by the plastic body of the battery I didn't even give it a second thought ...

You've got me concerned now!

regards, Paul

Kaz-kzukNA1
15-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Just use Plasti Dip.

Strip down the rust and old paint to the bare metal and first prime it.

Even the primer spray from Halfords is fine.

And then, for this kind of application, it is easier to use the sprayable Plasti Dip than the ‘dip can' one.

You can apply multiple coats, if you want.
Easy DIY.

Kaz

NSXGB
15-10-2011, 06:55 PM
I used a plastic coating powder for mine. Wire brushed back to bare metal, no need to prime. Heat up with blow torch and coat with the powder, a bit more heat and the coating smoothes out flat and very hard wearing.

gcon45
15-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the replies chaps!

Er, mine looked the same (albeit 8 yrs old at the time), so I stripped it, primed and painted it and its been fine ever since.

As it secures the battery by the plastic body of the battery I didn't even give it a second thought ...

regards, Paul

Paul - I would paint it in a flash but it's just that in the event of a (God forbid) front impact the bracket could bridge the battery and cause a fire.

havoc
16-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Not as tidy-looking as plastic-dipped, but I've just got mine wrapped in black electrical tape.

Sudesh
16-10-2011, 10:42 AM
I wouldnt just paint it either, the bracket location for me is not a great design and as Conor pointed out, in the unlucky case of accident, it could shift and bridge connections.

Plastic dip sounds interesting, never seen this done before! Anyone any pics?

I did think about making them in CF but like the rest of the stuff, not worth it.

gcon45
16-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Just bought a can of plastidip black aerosol last night:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/Raven6t9/Plasti-Dip.jpg

I will report back!

AR
16-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Tumescent tape from Maplins is Cheap and cheerful!

Senninha
16-10-2011, 10:31 PM
......... I would paint it in a flash but it's just that in the event of a (God forbid) front impact the bracket could bridge the battery and cause a fire..........

If you bend it enough for the bracket to short the battery I doubt its going to matter much what happens next as you probably wont be around to take notice ...

gcon45
17-10-2011, 07:55 AM
If you bend it enough for the bracket to short the battery I doubt its going to matter much what happens next as you probably wont be around to take notice ...

Well, you have a better chance of being around if you're not on fire.

Senninha
17-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Just saving time and cutting out the middle man ... always have liked DIY ...

Senninha
17-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Just saving time and cutting out the middle man ... always have liked DIY ...

Nick Graves
17-10-2011, 10:17 AM
In my first X1/9, I discovered a dodgy regulator when I dropped to 3rd to descend a hill & the battery exploded into shards. That was smelly.

The battery was orientated very similar to the NSX - as much of the car was.

It still ran with the battery in bits though.

paulc
17-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Which one did you have?? In 1982 I had a 1979 1300cc in bronze, loved it!! Kept it for 2 years and part exchanged it for a 2.4 911.

kingsley
17-10-2011, 03:46 PM

regards, Paul

Paul,

I need to strip mine and re-paint the bracket etc. Do you have any problems when you remove the battery, does the radio have a code in it. or do you have problems with the alarm system.

Kingsley

NSXGB
17-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Paul,

I need to strip mine and re-paint the bracket etc. Do you have any problems when you remove the battery, does the radio have a code in it. or do you have problems with the alarm system.

Kingsley

You don't technically have to disconnect or remove the battery, just be careful not to touch +ve & earth with the bare bracket. The +ve terminal should have a rubber boot protector over it anyway so you'd have to go some to cause any issues.

Senninha
17-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Hi Kingsley,

To address the bracket issues there is no need to disconnect/remove the battery, although yo may wish to to enable cleaning of the battery tray.

I have an aftermarket stereo so code is noted. I dont know if the OEM unit requires a code. For the alarm I simply switched of the siren when removing the battery to replace it last autumn, then switched it back on after new battery installation.

HTH,

regards, Paul

NSXGB
17-10-2011, 04:23 PM
There's an echo in here...:)

If you are worried about losing stereo codes on any car, you could buy one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Computer-Memory-Saver-Radio-Digital/dp/B0044DDOQG

Or, not tried it myself, but a 9v (PP3) battery connected to a cigar lighter plug will have enough power to keep codes etc. YMMV.

Nick Graves
17-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Which one did you have?? In 1982 I had a 1979 1300cc in bronze, loved it!! Kept it for 2 years and part exchanged it for a 2.4 911.

I had an 81 1500 (the gold one):

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/Scan10004.jpg

and swapped it for an 87:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/Scan10003.jpg

Nick Graves
17-10-2011, 06:37 PM
There's an echo in here...:)

If you are worried about losing stereo codes on any car, you could buy one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Computer-Memory-Saver-Radio-Digital/dp/B0044DDOQG

Or, not tried it myself, but a 9v (PP3) battery connected to a cigar lighter plug will have enough power to keep codes etc. YMMV.

Remember, that only works with the key in position I or II!

I'd considered leaving the battery conditioner or charger on the engine bay poles whilst replacing the battery - I suppose any voltage source would do!

NSXGB
17-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Remember, that only works with the key in position I or II!

I'd considered leaving the battery conditioner or charger on the engine bay poles whilst replacing the battery - I suppose any voltage source would do!

Is that true for all cars or just ones that don't have permanently live cigar lighters? Not sure which the NSX has because I dont have one in my car after the DD install!

gcon45
17-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Ok - since I ordered the plasticote I've been working at the bracket when I get a spare minute.

Initial state:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5959/img0602loo.jpg

Plastic covering all removed (note the extensive rust!):

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9177/img0604dr.jpg

Cleaned up courtesy of a bench grinder and a scotchbrite pad:

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/2987/img0605ab.jpg

Panel wiped, primed and baked ready for the arrival of the plasticote:

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3261/img0606ss.jpg

TheSebringOne
17-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Wow, I didn't realise there were so many X1/9 owners! I know it was one of the cars, the NSX
designers used for ideas.

Mine was a 1988, but not the Grand Finale in black. Spent alot of time & money restoring it!
Italian metal not in the same league as Japanese Alu!

paulc
18-10-2011, 09:26 AM
I know what you mean about the quality of Italian metal, shut the drivers door one day and the bottom half of the door fell off!!

Nick Graves
18-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Is that true for all cars or just ones that don't have permanently live cigar lighters? Not sure which the NSX has because I dont have one in my car after the DD install!

All Hondas I've had don't have a permanent live 'accessory socket' or fag lighter or whatever - hence the need to stick the key in to pump up the tyres. Obviously, the insurance co. might take exception to you leaving it on charge like that...or you might be deeply disappointed when your battery's no better two days later.

Personally, I use the poles under the engine cover; the fuse cover sits neatly on top of the air intake hose & flick up the +ve cover & there you go. You can even close the cupola & set the alarm (which is the causin' of it all in the first place). Which will keep the robbin' bastards happy...

Nick Graves
18-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Wow, I didn't realise there were so many X1/9 owners! I know it was one of the cars, the NSX
designers used for ideas.

Mine was a 1988, but not the Grand Finale in black. Spent alot of time & money restoring it!
Italian metal not in the same league as Japanese Alu!

Mine was the exactly same as a Gran Finale but minus the rear spoiler & the badges - it was registered 1.8.87, IIRC.

I think either Bertone or FIAT built an aluminium research body for one, co-incidentally. Some of the body sections (around the fuel tank & the engine bay) are very similar to the NSX.

The NSX does take me back a bit - there is a similarity of character and Porsche directly plagiarised the RWS for the Boxster. Apart from the electrics, brakes and gearchange work on an NSX. There was less corrosion on my 87 than on my NSX, oddly - they were using two-pack by then and wax injection, so they were really quite decent. Pity the rest of it was thrown together though.

I finally lost patience over the same ol' reliability issues and:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/Scan10001.jpg

TheSebringOne
18-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Interestingly on the subject of battery, this was clamped at the base of the battery &
there was a lovely black plastic casing that covered the whole battery in the Fiat/Bertone!
Although in an big frontal impact, not sure if it would help much?

trackdemon
19-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Familiar one this, had exact same issue as I was going through my car - angle grinder + wire brush to clean up then black Hammerite. Looks 11 billion times better now. Did snap one of the clamp rods, but you can purchase everything you'd ever need for an NSX directly from Honda, and not all parts are loaded with NSX premiums.....

Nick Graves
19-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Interestingly on the subject of battery, this was clamped at the base of the battery &
there was a lovely black plastic casing that covered the whole battery in the Fiat/Bertone!
Although in an big frontal impact, not sure if it would help much?

This is very true; it's a far more elegant engineering solution than these wavy rods and flimsy, rusty bars. But it requires a rim around the lower edge of the battery casing in order to locat it and not every battery uses that standard. The cover was necessary, since the FIAT had a proper, useable front boot (you could get a polypin of beer under the roof in there) so there was a need for cleanliness/risk of shorting to be considered.

Design-wise, the car was utterly fantastic and it shows what a lot of crap modern ones are. Only the Boxster comes close to such space-efficiency and it's a lot bigger.

NSXGB
19-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Does anyone have the part number for the battery earth lead please?

Kaz-kzukNA1
19-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Bit off topic from the OP and unusual for someone like you with good knowledge on the parts so I hope we are talking about the same thing....

The battery GND earth cable is 32600-SL0-003.

Same parts used for both the RHD and the LHD NSX.

It was about JPY1,620 last year when I bought it for my NSX and should be about US$20 from Acura.

HUK..... about GBP43.....

Kaz

NSXGB
19-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks Kaz. I wasn't sure if the earth cable was the same for RHD & LHD as I don't have access to my UK parts DB at the moment. Thanks for the approximate price too, another thing to pick up in the USA....

Papalazarou
19-10-2011, 06:39 PM
How did this become a four page thread? I mourn for the winter.

Cheers,

James.