PDA

View Full Version : Nurburgring and other stickers

Papalazarou
03-10-2011, 06:53 PM
A simple question. Do you think that putting a NR sticker on your NSX or any other car come to that devalues it come resale time?
The reason I ask is because I was looking for a GT3 a couple of years back and saw a couple of nice looking cars but was put off by the black outline on the rear bumper. If I'm honest, there are a few other types of stickers that rightly or wrongly make me think the same thing.

Cheers,

James.

NoelWatson
03-10-2011, 08:01 PM
A simple question. Do you think that putting a NR sticker on your NSX or any other car come to that devalues it come resale time?
The reason I ask is because I was looking for a GT3 a couple of years back and saw a couple of nice looking cars but was put off by the black outline on the rear bumper. If I'm honest, there are a few other types of stickers that rightly or wrongly make me think the same thing.

Cheers,

James.

My Renault has a couple! Assuming that you stay on the circuit, I reckon the ring (with the exception of the karussell (which I guess the GT3 may drive round)) is pretty easy on a car compared to other circuits.

Senninha
03-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Well I wouldn't put them on any body panels on a red NSX having seen the mark left post removal on another red NSX!

Mine are on the airbox and rear plate where they can cause no harm to paint and remain discreet ...

SILVER BULLET
03-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Hi James,

I know what you mean, someone stuck a UJCC sticker on my car , but I thought it looked so cool that I kept it on there;). As for the Piston Heads sticker that's just to show that the car is driven by a middle aged hooligan :laugh:,

Cheers,

Ian

Papalazarou
04-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Hi James,

I know what you mean, someone stuck a UJCC sticker on my car , but I thought it looked so cool that I kept it on there;). As for the Piston Heads sticker that's just to show that the car is driven by a middle aged hooligan :laugh:,

Cheers,

Ian

I think you're pretty safe with a UJCC sticker. However, the NR sticker says thrashed through Europe to me. The PH smilie also says you definitely have a mate with an M5 who donuts in car parks. Sorry Ian I know you have one of these too;-)
I think they're fine when it's your car, but when you want it to be someone elses, I'd probably lose it.

Cheers,

James.

AR
04-10-2011, 08:05 PM
They are kind of like a tramp stamp for cars IMHO.

havoc
04-10-2011, 10:10 PM
They are now, because every Barry has bought one off eBay.

I've got one on the 'teg (from my first ever visit there), and it's staying, because I think on that car it's wholly appropriate. I bought one for the NSX, but I've hesitated for two reasons:-
- Exactly the point in the thread...what would a perspective buyer think? Personally I don't much care as the 'ring is a lot less wearing on a car than a whole trackday, and you don't see "Castle Combe" stickers on cars, so how would you know if your potential purchase has done 5 or 6 trackdays?!? But others may perceive it differently.
- Not sure where to put it ;)

As for the "thrashed around Europe" comment - show me an NSX that HASN'T been driven hard up-and-down the Alps, or the Pyrenees, or the Highlands, or Snowdonia, etc... That's what the car is there for, what it (IMHO) excels at - the long-distance comfy GT act before hoisting its skirts up and dancing with the best of them!

NSXGB
05-10-2011, 06:08 AM
They are now, because every Barry has bought one off eBay.

I've got one on the 'teg (from my first ever visit there), and it's staying, because I think on that car it's wholly appropriate. I bought one for the NSX, but I've hesitated for two reasons:-
- Exactly the point in the thread...what would a perspective buyer think? Personally I don't much care as the 'ring is a lot less wearing on a car than a whole trackday, and you don't see "Castle Combe" stickers on cars, so how would you know if your potential purchase has done 5 or 6 trackdays?!? But others may perceive it differently.
- Not sure where to put it ;)

As for the "thrashed around Europe" comment - show me an NSX that HASN'T been driven hard up-and-down the Alps, or the Pyrenees, or the Highlands, or Snowdonia, etc... That's what the car is there for, what it (IMHO) excels at - the long-distance comfy GT act before hoisting its skirts up and dancing with the best of them!

Actually I think you do. This thread made me smile because on the day James posted I saw a Lotus Elise with a dozen or so UK 'track' stickers (same style as the NR ones) in his back window....would you buy that one?

Papalazarou
05-10-2011, 06:56 AM
I think the Castle Combe comment was below the belt;-). But you're right Martin, a normal track day is a tougher prospect than the Ring, so maybe the stigma's a little unfair.
However, you don't ask a prospective partner who she slept with before she met you?! Denial denial denial.

Cheers,

James.

NSX 2000
05-10-2011, 08:16 AM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I will admit that I am tepted with PH smilie sticker, but I would need to find a discreet place on the car rather than just above the rear :D

Papalazarou
05-10-2011, 09:07 AM
I have an NSXCB sticker. Does that mean I'm an anorak?

Nick Graves
05-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Yes.

I have one too; it's not necessarily a bad thing, since there must be what, nearly three in circulation? Hardly ubiquitous.

Ary's right. The 'Ring sticker has become as cringeworthy as furry dice, Jazz/Funk/Soul green sunstrips, Rabbit Injection, Fat Willy's Surf Shack or any other dreadful fashion victim tat stickers that have appeared on vehicle over the years.

At least writing "I wish my wife were this dirty" on the back of a van has transcended into minor classic status.

Someome should come up with an insinnuendo piss-take; an up the Khyber Pass version, or something.

Geraint
05-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Totally agree :thumbsup:

Both say a lot about their owners, the question is do you like the message?

markc
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I have one too; it's not necessarily a bad thing, since there must be what, nearly three in circulation? Hardly ubiquitous.

Me three and it's the only sticker that adorns any of my cars :) Not that I think it's bad to advertise your allegiance to any venue/club/religion/charity etc if that is your won't.

A Nurburgring, Spa, Pistonheads one says to me that I'm a car enthusiast and am therefore more likely to look after my car as well as drive it a little harder than some. I wouldn't mind betting there is a positive correlation of Nurburgring sticker to kerb damage i.e. less kerb damage on sticker equipped cars).

Nothing tops the "Baby on Board" sticker for me. I've never been sure what that's supposed to accomplish :dunno:

Cheers

Mark

WhyOne?
05-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Y1 has a Nurburgring sticker on the rear numberplate.

It was put there by previous owner Ritchie when he took the car to the 'ring. The fact the car had visited the 'ring (and had a sticker to advertise the fact) didn't even enter into my purchase decision making process.

I have never given it a second thought really - in fact I am quite amazed at the strength of opinion (what to me seems) an innocuous little sticker can cause!

nobby
05-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Interesting post, I have been to the 'ring' with my NSX and have toured a bit round Europe. The car has been driven hard (its a 'supercar' ffs! :)) but NEVER trashed. I have poured way too much money into my NSX just to trash it, so would hate anyone to think that; but at the same time the condition of a car should tell you everything about the car at 1st glance.

Personally I have no issues with a 'ring' sticker IF it means you have been there and actaully used your vehicle on it ... putting stickers on the car for other reasons is pointless. And if the owner etc comes across as sensible and genuine regarding his/her antics

I had a 'ring' sticker on my car prior to respray but have spares in the house waiting to be put back on ... not so sure now LOL but at least i can say i have been. Interested in an NSXCB one ... where do i buy?!

so if i have these 2 stickers on my car longer term does that mean i am a chav/spide and have devalued my car? :)

I have noticed a few pi$$ take stickers round here now saying 'Neverbeen' etc which was funny the 1st or 2nd time but seem to be as getting as popular as 'ring' ones

Geraint
05-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Hit the nail on the head with the 'neverbeen' stickers imo nobby.

I used to think the original ring stickers were cool, but these days I seem to see them on several cars every day, and I just roll my eyes

I liked the 'M25ring' ones as an ironic statement on real life 'I own a proper driver's car, however I spend most of my time in a traffic jam' :lol:

Lots of things that were cool when they were original/rare get done to death and just become tacky, imo.

Nick Graves
05-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Nail>head, Geraint.

A guy I used to know had another anti-cliche one on his Elan; My other car is a Lotus Cortina. It was, actually.

A.S. Motorsport
06-12-2011, 09:49 AM
indeed NSX where designed to be trashed around:D and they are great at it.
It isn't a fragile Italian!

Yella
06-12-2011, 09:28 PM
I think the fact that anyone can buy those stickers from anywhere means nothing anymore. I have one on the skyline purely because I've driven there and driven around the track in it, I would never consider one if it hadn't though. Personally I wouldn't put an M badge on a Non M Bmw either but that's just me.

My car has had everything possible done to keep it in the best condition possible and safe for track use, serviced far more than it has needed to be. It doesn't matter if a car has been around a track what matters is how it is looked after before and after the event, A buyer will know this from the state of the car, the service history and the person selling it. I don't think a sticker will put a prospective buyer off, unless he/she thinks you've been tanking it around and smashing the limiter endlessly.

sportyking
03-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Ian, I'm chuffed Y1 still wears its sticker with pride. As previously posted every tom, dick and harry can now get them from ebay but they were a rare sight that would often prompt otherwise missed interesting conversations and meetings elsewhere among true enthusiasts. In my opinion the ring used to be Mecca for enthusisasts of all types of vehicle performance but due to recent events and even its own fleeting increase in popularity I don't believe this is still the case. The sticker has no relevance as to how a car has been treated in its life, just that it has been to somewhere worthy of the effort put into its design (Previa excluded which wallowed like a pig and only went round as a reward for trailering my other car there) My other cars that went also wear the stickers with pride but I no longer go there. If I did find myself in the area and went for a lap I wouldn't dream of putting the sticker on the car anymore as the Ring has lost its appeal to me and true meaning over recent years, but It's still a fantastic stretch of road that must be driven. I have never felt the need to buy a sticker of the many racetracks I have driven but the ring was (and still is to many others) a pretty special place and deserved a little recognition.

sportyking
03-01-2012, 01:21 PM
I should just add that Y1 has never been near a "racetrack" with me. It's a fantastic road car and the Ring is first and foremost a road

WhyOne?
03-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Hey Richie! Good to see you still lurk here. Do you still have the Atom?

sportyking
03-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Hi Ian,

I Still have the Atom, though it gets less use each year. Still lurking as I will return one day.

Richie

markc
04-01-2012, 11:10 AM
I should just add that Y1 has never been near a "racetrack" with me. It's a fantastic road car and the Ring is first and foremost a road

Shame, the NSX's that have some circuit miles under their (cam)belts are the most powerful :D Witness S2 and J14 :cool:

Cheers

Mark