PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

Papalazarou
03-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Somehow, whilst trawling through youtube looking for unseen films of NSX's and melancholy videos featuring Radiohead tracks, I stumbled apon a couple of videos about Facebook.

Now, I should probably come clean and say that I deleted my account a couple of years back and would describe the decision as one of my better ones. Worse being driving my pride and joy into a rather unforgiving armco on a very wet day. That was a bad decision on many levels. But if you think that's bad....Ok I digress.

What I wanted to say was that I really liked these clips and what they have to say about social media and the realisation that Facebook, twitter, myspace (god rest its soul) dating sites and all forums; from cars, to pets to people having relations with their pets. Yes that does really happen and I'm not talking about taking your spaniel on a dinner date. Oh no.
Anyway, I'm interested on members views on social networks and their experiences. Facebook preferably, as this is what the clips are about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UouP8cRYZ8

rebuttal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQPUA4LEcjI&feature=related

Here's a more amusing version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-sTKtWXuA

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
03-10-2011, 08:38 PM
I dont use them, like them or trust them ... and whats wrong with picking up the phone or meeting the person for real?

As much as is possible I use this site to encourage and promote meetings of a whole variety of people who share an interest in cars, the NSX and many other topics, enjoyed best after a good drive and decent brekkie!

Dragonlady
03-10-2011, 09:06 PM
I dont use them, like them or trust them ... and whats wrong with picking up the phone or meeting the person for real?

As much as is possible I use this site to encourage and promote meetings of a whole variety of people who share an interest in cars, the NSX and many other topics, enjoyed best after a good drive and decent brekkie!

I'll second that.

It really ticks me off the amount of people who say they have a hundred friends on Facebook, probably never met one of them!
How many lies are told....."I'm 21, rich, own a porche and want to be your friend." Truth, he's 12, spotty and no real friends because he spends every waking moment on the computer or phone.

Now look, you've got me started now!

Ian

Papalazarou
04-10-2011, 05:23 PM
I was going to get a t-shirt printed; "you don't need to be asinine to be on Facebook, but it helps." What do you think? Bit too long?

Seriously, I could see 'some' benefits before they introduced super poke pets and farmville and all that other irrelevant crap. sure keep in contact with family and friends who live away. But.
But seriously, it was originally set up as a facilitator to get American students layed in college and now it's an all devouring monster. There are 30 million people on FB in the UK!

When I left it was actually a relief. In the end it was just something else I'd grown up without and didn't need now. I've been reading a bit of a book about defragging your mind and I strongly believe that many people would be better off without the FB sub routine running in the background.

Cheers,

James.

markc
05-10-2011, 10:56 AM
I have a FaceAche account but haven't used it for over a year after my wife "observed" that I had to many girls as friends :)

If FaceAche's bad Twatter is worse! Death to them all :evil:

Cheers

Mark

Nick Graves
05-10-2011, 11:06 AM
I can only say that I've strenuously avoided Arsebook, Twatter, Lickedout or whatever other inane soshal meeja there might be.

Geraint
05-10-2011, 03:08 PM
I stubbornly resisted FB for years but gave in to it in a weak moment about a year ago. My collection of friends are real people I knew reasonably well before, and it helps me keep in touch with them, or at least have a vague idea what they're up to now. It's no substitute for an email / chat on the phone / evening in the pub with someone, but it fills a bit of a gap in the 'hierarchy of closeness' in a way that I like.

A few of my friends post random entertaining stuff which adds a bit of diversity and brightens up my day :)

I suppose I spend about 5 minutes on there about 2-3 times a week, so it's firmly prioritised a long way behind most other things I'd rather be doing.

I know others who are obsessed with it and post updates on everything they do, which I think is a bit sad.

It's a tool, like anything else just use it judiciously and it can be useful.

My 2p :)