PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp covers - how to remove?

trackdemon
16-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Afternoon all, so the NSX refresh continues.... I've got some nice blue halogen headlamp bulbs to fit, a bit more light and the colour freshens up the look of the car imho. However, the next problem I've encountered is removing the headlamp covers! Half of the phillips head screws on the side of the covers are stuck, I've given them a good soak with WD40 but alas they seem to be stuck fast. Is it a straightforward drillout & replace for these? Don't think I can use an impact driver as it'll probably damage the covers?

m666 edd
16-09-2011, 02:02 PM
I had the same problem, had to drill slowly. I got plastic bolt replacements as all later NSXs are plastic also due to the corrosion problems.

Chris B N
16-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Hi Ed,
I carefully drilled the head of and once the cover was clear was able to unscrew from the inside with a pair of narrow nosed pliers.
have fun

Nick Graves
16-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Plenty of Plus Gas and an impact driver.

7/8 came out cleanly, mostly because the bit had superb bite & the driver was fat enough to get some torque going, once the seizure was cracked. I had the Dremel a bigger X in the last one, because it chewed. Painted black, it doesn't notice.

PS - put the driver on 'tighten' first & tap with hammer; they're not expecting that!

I used plenty of Copper-ease on reassembly.

BTW - blue bulbs give far worse visibility than white ones; this blue stuff is purely marketing bollocks/snake oil.

Much better optics now my 6000Ks are replaced by 4300Ks.

Sudesh
16-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Dont understand why you are removing the headlight covers to fit what I'm guessing is a hid kit and not just blue bulbs?

I've fitted a few hid kit to NSX's and never had to remove the covers.

nigel
17-09-2011, 01:49 AM
+1 for what Nick said.
Bought a '91 Prelude 4WS, came with blue installed and worse than rubbish. NO night vision!
Couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

Cheers
nigel