PDA

View Full Version : Blue vs. Red colour (NA2-facelift models)

Unregistered
16-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Hello, just trying to make a decision based on actual owner experience and I gather some of you may have even had the privilege of owning both colours.

My thoughts are that a red NSX will look fantastic, especially in a well maintained +02 car, but blue is my favourite colour and LBB NSXs are simply stunning, especially as it highlights the front headlights and the wide rear light.

Just wondering if there are any cons of LBB or Red ownership: easier to live with, colour mismatches, stone chips, decoloration, etc. This is asssuming you pay a visit to a detailer every once in while and take good care of the car in general (as you would).

Thanks for the input. Cheers.

NoelWatson
16-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Hello, just trying to make a decision based on actual owner experience and I gather some of you may have even had the privilege of owning both colours.

My thoughts are that a red NSX will look fantastic, especially in a well maintained +02 car, but blue is my favourite colour and LBB NSXs are simply stunning, especially as it highlights the front headlights and the wide rear light.

Just wondering if there are any cons of LBB or Red ownership: easier to live with, colour mismatches, stone chips, decoloration, etc. This is asssuming you pay a visit to a detailer every once in while and take good care of the car in general (as you would).

Thanks for the input. Cheers.

When I first started looking for an NSX there was a red 03 at Chiswick, but I held out for an LBB. I am led to believe that paint matching can be very tricky, but I think it the best colour.

NSX 2000
16-09-2011, 01:28 PM
I chap called James (Papa) should answer your question as he has had 1 LBB and 2 red, plus he loves a good detail :laugh:

NSX 2000
16-09-2011, 01:31 PM
When I first started looking for an NSX there was a red 03 at Chiswick, but I held out for an LBB. I am led to believe that paint matching can be very tricky, but I think it the best colour.

It might be the best colour but along with silver it is also the slowest :laugh::laugh::D

m666 edd
16-09-2011, 02:05 PM
He's had 2 lbb and 2 red, different reds due to pre and post facelift maybe?

Papalazarou
16-09-2011, 02:06 PM
LBB is very tough to match. I know of a couple which have received total resprays instead of trying blend into the original paint. LBB is also pretty soft paint so scratches easily. red is hardier and much easier to match.
In it's favour lbb looks stunning and although the most common facelift colour, you hardly ever see one.
Both NFR ( new formula red) and LBB cars have a tinted clearcoat. This means that when you polish to remove scratches, the rag should show traces of either red or blue. If it does not, it means the car has had paint at sometime and the bodyshop's been lazy and blended by normal methods.
I used to care a lot about this, but to be honest, these days a straight car's more of a priority than one with original paint.
With regard to cleaning. My current red car is by far more rewarding to clean that the blue ones.
It's easier to see impurities (scratches, chips) and gleams when finished.
Another thing. When I had the blue cars I coveted the red because there seemed to be more wheel colour choices i.e; gun metal, black. But not white, I mean come on, really.
Anyway, got a red car and have ended up staying with boring Honda (BMW) silver.

Given the choice I'd have my old LBB car back though. Both great colours though.

Cheers,

James

Unregistered
16-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks a lot, invaluable advice this is.

Seems to me that there's not much in it. Nothing a good conscious owner (with the help of a pro detailer) can't cope with and the heart is certainly saying LBB. Now for the hard bit, finding one... true what you say, don't think I've ever come across a LBB but I do like the fact that LBB is in a way associated with the facelift cars (it's a plus imo).

Cheers.

NoelWatson
16-09-2011, 02:41 PM
LBB is very tough to match. I know of a couple which have received total resprays instead of trying blend into the original paint. LBB is also pretty soft paint so scratches easily. red is hardier and much easier to match.

James, as an aside, any idea how much a total respray is - will get mine done for its 10th birthday?

Papalazarou
16-09-2011, 03:01 PM
James, as an aside, any idea how much a total respray is - will get mine done for its 10th birthday?

Noel,

It depends who you get to do it. I'd say somewhere between 3500-4500 for a really good job. I know the correct paint for LBB is pretty expensive. Just a guide, but when I killed the 02, the paintshop was getting quotes of £1500.00 for the paint alone. In reality, these are just guide prices and each bodyshop has their own philosophy when it comes to paint suitability and labour costs. But I'd be surprised if you came out with any change from £4k for a top job.

Cheers,

James.

howellr
16-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Blue (circuit) is the colour...
You never see any other blue supercar, which makes all the owners of other cars turn their heads. It reflects the colour of the sky and so changes colour throughout the day, fantastic.
I recently had mine detailed by The Extra Mile and Carl managed to remove about 85% of the swirls in one days work.
Attached is a sample :-)
Regards to all
Rod

PeterW
16-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Red car paint has a reputation of being susceptible to fading all the way through. It is said that you can't polish it out and the only solution is a respray. Do NSXs suffer from this or did the clever chaps at Honda avoid this problem? Or is it maybe an urban myth ...?

Peter

Geraint
16-09-2011, 10:01 PM
It's no urban myth - Milano Red is commonly referred to as 'Milano Pink' because it's notorious for fading, and it's the colour layer that fades under a layer of clearcoat, so you can't polish it out.

I don't know about the NSX reds, but if they had a solution for the NSX in '91 then it'd seem strange that they didn't apply it to cars made a decade or two later...

NoelWatson
17-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Noel,

It depends who you get to do it. I'd say somewhere between 3500-4500 for a really good job. I know the correct paint for LBB is pretty expensive. Just a guide, but when I killed the 02, the paintshop was getting quotes of £1500.00 for the paint alone. In reality, these are just guide prices and each bodyshop has their own philosophy when it comes to paint suitability and labour costs. But I'd be surprised if you came out with any change from £4k for a top job.

Cheers,

James.

Thanks - I don't think 4k is too bad.

Unregistered
17-09-2011, 07:30 AM
yep. a decent re-spray is very expensive indeed, and that goes for any car, and I expect someone doing a NSX may charge even more. not sure if there are any special requirements when applying the paint due to the aluminum bodywork (probably not?).

about the red, I totally agree and that's why I was asking, I've still got a old Prelude in San Marino red and they defo fade and I think it was even worse with Milano Red Preludes. Mind you, the base paint may be the same but the application technique may be different on the NSX... some of the earlier red NSXs are defo borderline pink though, especially those that have seen a lot of direct sunlight (some are really awful looking actually - been neglected)

britlude
17-09-2011, 08:28 AM
well when the red car and the blue car had a race
all red wants to do is stuff his face
he eats everything he sees
from trucks to prickly trees
but smart old blue he took the milky way

so i'd go with the green!!!!

the colour in the clear coat is most probably from inks added to the colour coat, that bleed into the clearcoat giving it the tint. the tint in a clearcoat is a nightmare to spray (the same as old fashioned candy colours) as multiply layers, such as door shut edges, would give darker bands of colour...

Ewan
17-09-2011, 09:24 PM
To add my £0.02...

When I was looking for an NSX about 5 years ago, I really wanted a facelift - just thought they looked more modern and I liked the wheels particularly. And since the press car (and therefore all the pics of the 02+ cars) was LBB, I've always liked that colour and associated it with the facelift car. As howellr says, though, Circuit Blue is a lovely colour too, but was only available right at the end of the pre-facelift run (2000?).

Anyway, I wanted a facelift NA2 manual, and figured I'd rather have a targa so I could take the roof off - so sat waiting for a LBB 02+ targa to become available. After 18 months of looking, I bought the very first facelift targa I saw, which was a red one. I've only laid eyes on one other (Boomin33's NIOP, which coincidentally has a sequential serial number), heard tell of one LBB one which was for sale but had magically been sold by the time I enquired, and one yellow which has been written off.

So, if you find the car you want in the right condition, don't worry too much about the colour :) They're all lovely ...

rgds
Ewan

Marky
18-09-2011, 01:43 AM
There is no doubt that LBB looks great. I owned one, and my advice is don't do it. After a minor accident in mine, the Honda approved bodyshop could not match up the colour. They had to respray the whole car, despite the fact that the damage was only to the front of the car. Even then, the car came out different shades of blue. In the end they called the paint suppliers to help. The car was out of action for nearly two months whilst this saga continued. One problem is that Honda use different paint on the car in Japan to what is supplied (or available) now in the UK. Another is that it is a three stage pearlescent colour. Red also looks nice on the NA2 cars, and I've never seen any fade. This usually happens on the plastic parts (in the Porsche 944 for example).

Unregistered
18-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Very sound advice, cheers.

You're absolutely right in that the right car is much more important than the colour itself. I'm too set on the facelift cars, I like the original obviously but the later ones just look a lot newer, at least to me. I'd pretty much take any factory colour to be honest.

I appreciate the advice on LBB. It is one of the problems with these kind of sophisticated paint finishes, when you have a crash or you want to sort out the stone chips after a few years of use: colour matching is a nightmare. A mate has one of them Focus RS in Ultimate Green and they had to respray the bonnet twice to make it match the rest (fantastic colour in sunlight though!).

I have the added difficulty of locating a LHD (currently 1 in Germany and 1 in Poland, that's it) but the car is not for regular/everyday use so I will monitor PH see if I can catch a nice facelift example in RHD. Not sure how many facelift units were sold in the UK (50-100?) but I'm guessing a few times over what was sold in the rest of Europe together. Looking at it differently though, if you end up with a fine 2002-05 EU-LHD example, you've pretty much got a depreciation-proof car to enjoy, I just need to be veeeeery patient.

Papalazarou
18-09-2011, 08:58 PM
From the records, I think there were around 85 facelift cars imported into the UK.
I'd be surprised if there Are many more than fifty left now. So many have been exported or been written off.

Cheers,

James.

WhyOne?
19-09-2011, 11:58 AM
I agree with the comments made about not being too fussy about colour - the cars are too rare to do this if you want one before you die!

I do have slight concerns about the red paint used on the facelift cars - this stems from the car Honda UK displayed at the 2005 Goodwood FoS - I could not believe the difference in colour between metal body panels & the bumpres front & rear - I think you can get some idea of what I mean from this photo, though it was far more obvious 'in the flesh':

Papalazarou
19-09-2011, 12:52 PM
I agree with the comments made about not being too fussy about colour - the cars are too rare to do this if you want one before you die!

I do have slight concerns about the red paint used on the facelift cars - this stems from the car Honda UK displayed at the 2005 Goodwood FoS - I could not believe the difference in colour between metal body panels & the bumpres front & rear - I think you can get some idea of what I mean from this photo, though it was far more obvious 'in the flesh':

Tell me about it! Mines going in for a front end respray in a few weeks for this very issue. The most frustrating thing is that the original paints in really good condition. It's just not quite the same colour as the wings or bonnet. In some lights you just don't see it, but in others it's very noticeable.
My experience of LBB has been different however. Both the cars I owned had perfect paint match throughout with original paint.
I find it amazing that HUK would let a car go to the FOS looking like that. How much effort would it have taken them to book it into the paintshop for a couple of weeks?

Cheers,

James.

Unregistered
19-09-2011, 04:07 PM
pity that... I wouldn't want to respray unless I had to for stone chips, minor scratches, etc. but having to do it just to colour-match must be a bit annoying (but inevitable I guess).
Thinking about other colours, there must be very few White facelift cars about (if any), as white wasn't 'it' back in 2002-05, would look real good though (championship white is it?). classic Honda JDM white, I like...

Geraint
19-09-2011, 07:28 PM
I find it amazing that HUK would let a car go to the FOS looking like that. How much effort would it have taken them to book it into the paintshop for a couple of weeks?
I agree, but I think it's worse that they'd sell cars like that to paying customers! How much effort to sort out a decent match in the first place?

Nick Graves
19-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Get the car; never mind the colour.

Even if it's charlotte green.

Actually, my second least favourite was red/black. Now I've got one, the F16 look has grown on me.

And even I can repair the piant.

markc
19-09-2011, 08:24 PM
well when the red car and the blue car had a race
all red wants to do is stuff his face
he eats everything he sees
from trucks to prickly trees
but smart old blue he took the milky way

so i'd go with the green!!!!

Missed this earlier, Genius :laugh:... or Orange of course.

Marky
19-09-2011, 08:38 PM
I think it is something specific with red cars and the way the paint reacts to the sun on plastic bodywork. The same fading used to happen to Porsche 944 cars, on the rear arches... by the way, who is coming to the South Mimms meet in a couple of weeks? Will there be a few NSX's to join me??