PDA

View Full Version : 54k Service + Cambelt @ 33K miles ???

Boomin33
15-09-2011, 03:54 PM
So I take it in for a the service I didn't do last October. re: it's been off the road since before that. I've driven the car 11,000 in 4 years... so seems a bit silly to change the cambelt at 33,059 miles... but alas they are recommending major service including valve clearance, spark plugs, cambelt etc....
considering I'm planning on putting this on the market any day now.... guess I kind of have to commit to this work.. but wanted to run it by you guys to make sure it's all on the level.

I'm a little dubious as I askd for an itemized list + prices so that I could choose what I wanted done and what I didn't... but the qoute only came over as this:

54k main service this includes
Oil+Filter change, brake fluid, fuel filter, air filter, Valve Clearance adjustment.
This will get your car back on track and make a difference to the running fuel economy, Lastly the timing belt is due for replacement due to the age.
£1100 incl parts, lab, and vat

Back on Track??? Makes it sound like something is wrong! LOL... salesmen, eh..

markc
15-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi Rob, well they're quite correct, that work does need doing at this age.

You could put the car up for sale at 2 different prices, one with the work done and one without? In that way the buyer has the choice of having it done at the full main dealer rate or going down their own independent maintenance path or even doing some of the work themselves.

Valve adjustment and Timing belt are the time consuming therefore expensive jobs. I'm slightly surprised they haven't recommended the water pump be replaced "while you're down there" stylee.

Good like with the sale though :)

Cheers

Mark

Boomin33
15-09-2011, 04:31 PM
OK. thks. think the waterpump is included. I'm just going to get it done.

I want to try and limit haggling on the sale + There is always the chance that

1. My House sells first.
2. I get frustrated with the process and decide not to sell.
3. I win the Lottery, or equiv.

Papalazarou
15-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm probably wrong, but it would seem logical that valve adjustment be done on mileage rather than time as it is a tolerance through use thing?
Anyway, maybe Kaz could explain.
My car's got this service due in just over twelve months, so interested to know.

Cheers,

James.

duncan
15-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Cambelt on time or miles whichever comes first. To do this the cam covers come off, so instead of calling it a valve adjustment call it a check on the valve adjustments, the likely hood is that if the valve were correct when adjusted last [presumably by the factory on build in your case James] they will be OK now. For others, if the valve weren't done correctly they won't have corrected themselves.

Kaz-kzukNA1
16-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Hi, Boomin33.
Not sure about the spec of your NSX but from the avatar, looks to be face lifted model.

For UK NSX models registered on or after Jul/98, the TB service interval is every 96 months (8 yrs) or 72K miles whichever comes first.

There is no point in ignoring this for the UK NSX models.

Unless you are the sole owner of your NSX, you won’t know how the engine was used unless you have the engine data logger to show the histogram of rpm band used against the mileage and time so you can’t judge the condition of the engine by the mileage or the age.

I would highly recommend replacing crank pulley and the WP at the time of TB service regardless of the mileage or the age.

By now, no need to tell the story about the crank pulley and even my local Honda garage experienced WP seizure on low mileage NSX.

I have already reported rattling sound and rusty impeller on several NSX WPs even at low mileage and you can't see the impeller without removing the WP.

Also, no one can predict what will happen on the WP in the next 8yrs time or 72K miles if it was re-used.

If you remove the valve/head cover, you MUST replace the cover gasket including the coil hole seals and 6 x round metal/rubber discs for each covers under the fixing nut.
Otherwise, 100% guaranteed to experience oil seepage later.

Because of this, it makes sense to carry out the valve clearance adjustment/check at the time of TB service as the valve/head cover has to come off.

Having said this, it requires delicate touch and not easy to do this on the rear bank while the engine is on the car.

For this reason, I normally recommend carrying out compression check at least at the time of TB service and if the data for all six cyl are close enough, your valve clearance would be fine.

Wishing you getting the option #3…..

Kaz