PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again....NSX 'spiritual successor'

WhyOne?
13-09-2011, 03:32 PM
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=24335

Maybe, just maybe, it will happen this time?

Geraint
13-09-2011, 09:22 PM
We can live in hope...

Back in the real world, I'll enjoy driving my collection of old tat while awaiting harder evidence of a brand renaissance.

TheSebringOne
13-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Lets see some hard evidence from Honda, like power, weight, engine configuration etc

May be they can come from the eco angle, like KERS or something like the new V8 in the new SLK AMG etc?

I think 450 to 500 bhp would be interesting.

NZNick
14-09-2011, 04:55 AM
I think it will be something of a rival to, and on par with, the recently announced Jag C-X16.

Senninha
14-09-2011, 08:24 AM
........May be they can come from the eco angle ..........I think 450 to 500 bhp would be interesting.........

So what did Honda's president and CEO, Takanubo Ito say .....

"You can't depend on a high power output to call a car sporty anymore"

"Good driving performance, and today power-to-weight is what we have to focus on"

"Chase efficiency"

If you look at Honda's acheivement in green efficient technology such as solar power then any new flagship model will have to have efficiency in its DNA; just look at the HondaJet as an example.

With the global racing experience in so many forms of motor sport on 2 or 4 wheels, Honda has learnt a detail or two about strong lieghtwieght production ... get this right in the new flagship and what is the point of 400+ hp ... lets be honest, how many of you could shake off a 135hp Elise??

Its good that the messaging is supported by an interview with Ito-san, its also clever that he doesn't really give too much away. I wonder what the chance is of Honda producing a platform with such flexibility that not only can they produce a new efficient flagship to the market, but that this platform enables two cars ... one with classic mid engine layout, and a second with front engine 2+2 format ... surely this would move the game on again.

Whatever they may produce, I just hope its not called NSX2, but they select a new name that reflects what the vehicle is about and what it changes .....

regards, Paul

WhyOne?
14-09-2011, 08:51 AM
I wonder / fear that this is more the sort of thing Honda have in mind.......

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=24327

jaytip
15-09-2011, 12:51 PM
With the global racing experience in so many forms of motor sport on 2 or 4 wheels, Honda has learnt a detail or two about strong lieghtwieght production ... get this right in the new flagship and what is the point of 400+ hp ... lets be honest, how many of you could shake off a 135hp Elise??

regards, Paul
Paul, i think that for most people spending big money on a new super sports car,it's almost as much about the bragging rights as anything else.
I think that a well driven boxter will be all over an averagely driven 911,but what's the old saying, "people only buy the boxter because they can't afford the 911" and i think for a lot of people this holds true.Just look at the bhp wars that have been going on in German saloon cars for years. A well driven evo is going to beat a V10 M5 over twisty b-roads,but if you could only have one in your garage,which would it be?

Senninha
15-09-2011, 02:23 PM
............but if you could only have one in your garage,which would it be?......

Hi Ivor,

It would be the one I want to own and enjoy driving for sure ....

I think the important point you made, and one that doesn't interest me is to be able to have any bragging rights. If I was of this mindset then maybe I too would be calling for mega hp numbers together with loads of heavy old computer controlled gizmo's to get the car off the line whilst opening an exhaust widget to make it sound like it should and changing gear for me into the bargain .....

regards, Paul