PDA

View Full Version : Lot of re-work for a 55k car...what's the history?!?

havoc
03-09-2011, 01:07 PM
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3121272.htm

Claims to only be on 92k km (57k miles), yet look at the repair/replacement list!
OK, some of it is 'modding' (take your own view on that), but what about this lot:-
- new radiator
- new stabiliser links (just googled - they're drop links to the rest of us!)
- rebuilt gearbox
- new hubs, bearings and d'shafts
- different steering wheel

...and if he's really spent somewhere >£10k on the car (my car maths gets to at least that figure from his advert), why is he only after £16k for it??? And selling it soon after doing all that work??? Seems to me there's something missing from that advert...a reason why it's needed all that work!

Papalazarou
03-09-2011, 03:22 PM
You could Get a hobby?

Silver Surfer
03-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Not sure but as long it is done properly.. It looks VFM.
Silverstone is rare in the UK.
Looks the best to buy in the PH classified at the moment.
It the one to go for for any potential any newbies.

SS

Sudesh
03-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Again from looking at those pics, its not a GENUINE 94 car, I would say it's 91.

Geraint
04-09-2011, 01:41 PM
You could Get a hobby?
:laugh:

What's the fascination with exising owners trawling the FS ads? I don't get it. :dunno:

nobby
04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
always interesting to see whats out there ... i guess! :)

plus its good to discuss these cars for other potential owners to review comments etc

:laugh:

What's the fascination with exising owners trawling the FS ads? I don't get it. :dunno:

markc
04-09-2011, 03:26 PM
always interesting to see whats out there ... i guess! :)

plus its good to discuss these cars for other potential owners to review comments etc

Indeed, just so long as we're generally talking prices UP rather than down ;)

The car in question looks like a cracker to me :cool:

Cheers

Mark

Nick Graves
04-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Indeed; there are so few cars left it's almost as if they're known personally.

The car in question has had a lot spent on it which is probably a good thing for its next owner. Although some of the repairs (gears?) seem a bit unusual...

Papalazarou
04-09-2011, 07:33 PM
What I was trying to say was; I can understand people being critical about cars for sale if a potential owner asks an opinion. But conjecture for the sake of conjecture. Well that's different.
Martin, your initial post sounds like you're accusing the advertiser about being somehow dishonest. I wonder if he is a member on this site? I wonder whether the list of 'what's wrong with this car' threads are a good advertisement for NSXCB?

Rob_Fenn
04-09-2011, 09:06 PM
I'd just get it inspected by a pro. I'd always be worried about a replacement steering wheel, in case it is crash related!

Great colour and great value though. If it was in good nick, i'd have it regardless of history for that money.

AR
04-09-2011, 09:53 PM
If he is talking about the decat that i had madre then he is talking bollix! If you talk blah blah blah about one thing then it follows that the rest could be bollix too.

Jammy
04-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Just to add I've been in touch with the owner of this car (ref my post in the Wanted section!).

He said this is his second NSX and it's time for this one to be passed on. He's on holiday till 11th now but I am hoping to go and have a look on his return. Obviously not met him in person but over email but he seemed like a really genuine bloke (not suggesting anyone thought otherwise!) that responded quickly and openly to my questions. He also confirmed he is a Club Britain member and hence I'm sure he wouldn't mind me making an open request for any opinions or knowledge members have of this car and it's past.

Senninha
04-09-2011, 10:43 PM
I spotted this one a couple of weeks back and thought to myself that if I had the space I'd really quite like this. Great looking car, one of only 2 or 3 in kaiser and it reads to me as though current owner as taken the time to put right a few mechanical issues.

As SS says, looks to be a great way into NSX ownership

Hope it finds ahold home soon

Rgds, Paul

Jammy
04-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Excuse my complete ignorance as a newbie, but I read on the guidance page that the colour Kaiser Silver was only introduced in 1997:
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year

I dont even know that this is Kaiser myself but it sounds like it is? And if so should I assume it has been sprayed given this is an earlier car? Not worried as such, just doing my research and making use of the experts - hope you don't mind.

Senninha
05-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Hi Jammy,

I'm no expert but do keep asking and the answers will flow from many owners ...

The link you're looking at is for the American Acura variant of the NSX.

The car in question is a Japanese direct import or JDM model so was first registered in Japan not the UK or elsewhere. In Japan there were a number of variants available, including in this case additional colours much before they were offered to other markets around the globe. Snother JDM difference is the lack of headlamp washers. There are others and a good search will probably provide you all the info.

Regards, Paul

Excuse my complete ignorance as a newbie, but I read on the guidance page that the colour Kaiser Silver was only introduced in 1997:
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year

I dont even know that this is Kaiser myself but it sounds like it is? And if so should I assume it has been sprayed given this is an earlier car? Not worried as such, just doing my research and making use of the experts - hope you don't mind.

Sudesh
05-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi Jammy,

I'm no expert but do keep asking and the answers will flow from many owners ...

The link you're looking at is for the American Acura variant of the NSX.

The car in question is a Japanese direct import or JDM model so was first registered in Japan not the UK or elsewhere. In Japan there were a number of variants available, including in this case additional colours much before they were offered to other markets around the globe. Snother JDM difference is the lack of headlamp washers. There are others and a good search will probably provide you all the info.

Regards, Paul

I would agree!

In Japan there was more options and colors to choose from so you cant compare JDM car with the rest of the world. I have seen this color on allot of earlier cars in Japan.

havoc
05-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Martin, your initial post sounds like you're accusing the advertiser about being somehow dishonest. I wonder if he is a member on this site? I wonder whether the list of 'what's wrong with this car' threads are a good advertisement for NSXCB?
Not intending to suggest the owner is being dishonest at all - it seemed a cheap car, and then even more so when I looked at the list of work done. (And I was thinking prices were on the up! :( ) The steering wheel and the gearbox raised question marks as to the history, wondered if anyone knew the car.

One question for you though - why, when others on the forum have posted similar threads without reproach, do you choose mine to lay into???

Papalazarou
05-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Not true, I've brought this up a couple of times. I've also spoken about it at meets. A while ago a couple of people went too far with this kind of thread, it was discussed and it didn't happen again, for a while.
It's nothing personal, its just my opinion that it's not our god given right to publicly conduct a forensic examination of every advert that finds it's way onto Pistonheads. More importantly I really don't think it's any of our business.
However, if a potential owner comes onto the site and asks some questions, I think it's right for members to give balanced impartial help. There is a qualitative difference there.
Another thing that people overlook however, is that there are a lot of members on this site that do not post, but on occasion will advertise their car for sale. Prospective owners also visit this site looking for information and it serves no-one when people jump to conclusions about cars offered for sale.
But just so I'm one hundred percent clear, I'm not telling anyone not to do it. It's up to you. But I'm entitled to my opinion also and that's it.
On the other hands I've seen so many club cars sell on this site with issues the seller hasn't admitted to, perhaps I'm overreacting and none of this matters. In fact I take it all back, knock yourselves out.

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
05-09-2011, 10:43 PM
......Not true, I've brought this up a couple of times. I've also spoken about it at meets. A while ago a couple of people went too far with this kind of thread, it was discussed and it didn't happen again, for a while..............

It was the Forumadmin who requested that commenting on, drawing attention too, and posting links of NSX for sale from other sites be refrained from. This was on the grounds that on occasion people were passing opinion on cars they had never seen/owned and this was influencing some buying decisions.

The activity stopped but has started to creep back onto the forum.

The generally accepted decision which should remain at the discretion of each individual, is that unless asked, say nothing. This site offers plenty of information for those wishing to enter into and enjoy NSX ownership. Further, if prospective owners do come and ask then if you know the car, offer your experience of owning that NSX or if you prefer, you can use the PM facility.

Thank you.

paulc
06-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Totally agree with the last 2 comments, I brought mine last Oct and somebody on this site described the car as a "flea pit" which should be avoided. Luckly for me I ignored the many uncomplementary comments about the car and actually went and had a look, the car was not prefect but for me ideal. Speaking to the seller nobody else had actually gone and seen the car in the flesh.

I feel people should refrain from passing judgement on sellars cars unless they have actually seen the car in question, as Senninha quite rightly points out the site does offer plenty of excellent information about the NSX and the pitfalls without peole making adverse comments about cars they have never seen.

Lankstarr
06-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Looks liek a cracking car to me with a very unique colour and lots of expensive extras included (seats are worth a grand second hand!).

It's had a lot of money spent on it which, regardless of the underlying reasons has to be a good thing for any potential purchaser especially in this price range.

If I were looking I would definitely want to view and drive this one and am surprised Senninha hasn't found a way to justify it:laugh:

L*

Mr. T
06-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Well said Paul C.

Speculative banter without the facts on owner clubs and forums alike, doesn’t bode well within a tight-net community, there are some which sit back and watch lol. Unless one knows the full story or vehicle in question without seeing it in person, it is best not to judge. One can always PM a prospective buyer if the car is known to them, I for one would still be interested.

For example: The rear running gear was replaced due to the shaft being seized into the hub and not down to wear. Not a great situation to be in when removing a gearbox for repair, we even broke a ten tone press trying to draw the shaft from the hub, hence it being safer to replace the lot. Furthermore the damage to gear one lead to the others needing replacing, merit for being so thorough I say. We’ve all seen the best of drivers grate gears before now.

The original steering wheel and airbag are available with the car, as detailed on the ad. The car is legitimately stamped up on the V5 as a 1994 M, so that is what it is being listed as. It may be a year (even two older), but I imagine cars are registered when they first hit the road with a plate and tax applied. This is my second NSX, the last one being a black-on-black auto JDM car, which has kept me firmly in love with these truly brilliant machines.

Too cheap? ...there was not enough interest at £17,995 Maybe the price ought to go north, but this car still needs a little work to make good; intermittent blower / boot and rear hatch struts / tail light gasket set etc. If truth be told I’d hang on to her and work toward former glory, but the chance for me to buy back my Ultima GTR has arisen and the wife would do her nut with two supercars on the drive. I mentioned to James that I would like to hang on to the car, if only business were quick to win in this glorious recession. We will have to see which comes first for me; the sale of the car, or the winning of a few tasty contracts – closely followed by a shopping spree with Science-of-Speed, Dali Racing, GT-ROM and SORCERY.

Do I really have to explain myself this much in public I ask? Come on chaps, keep the forums a pleasant environment for both sellers and buyers alike. I’ll be back in a few years with another NSX to pick the experts brains about, I just hope there are some still out there at a reasonable price.

Best regards to all.

T

Silver Surfer
06-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Well done Mr T.

GLWS...if I had a bigger garage....

SS

nobby
06-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Fair play to you mate, for coming on here and setting the record straight :)

very best wishes for the sale ... for what seems a decent car and with some tlc could be a winner for someone

Well said Paul C.

Speculative banter without the facts on owner clubs and forums alike, doesn’t bode well within a tight-net community, there are some which sit back and watch lol. Unless one knows the full story or vehicle in question without seeing it in person, it is best not to judge. One can always PM a prospective buyer if the car is known to them, I for one would still be interested.

For example: The rear running gear was replaced due to the shaft being seized into the hub and not down to wear. Not a great situation to be in when removing a gearbox for repair, we even broke a ten tone press trying to draw the shaft from the hub, hence it being safer to replace the lot. Furthermore the damage to gear one lead to the others needing replacing, merit for being so thorough I say. We’ve all seen the best of drivers grate gears before now.

The original steering wheel and airbag are available with the car, as detailed on the ad. The car is legitimately stamped up on the V5 as a 1994 M, so that is what it is being listed as. It may be a year (even two older), but I imagine cars are registered when they first hit the road with a plate and tax applied. This is my second NSX, the last one being a black-on-black auto JDM car, which has kept me firmly in love with these truly brilliant machines.

Too cheap? ...there was not enough interest at £17,995 Maybe the price ought to go north, but this car still needs a little work to make good; intermittent blower / boot and rear hatch struts / tail light gasket set etc. If truth be told I’d hang on to her and work toward former glory, but the chance for me to buy back my Ultima GTR has arisen and the wife would do her nut with two supercars on the drive. I mentioned to James that I would like to hang on to the car, if only business were quick to win in this glorious recession. We will have to see which comes first for me; the sale of the car, or the winning of a few tasty contracts – closely followed by a shopping spree with Science-of-Speed, Dali Racing, GT-ROM and SORCERY.

Do I really have to explain myself this much in public I ask? Come on chaps, keep the forums a pleasant environment for both sellers and buyers alike. I’ll be back in a few years with another NSX to pick the experts brains about, I just hope there are some still out there at a reasonable price.

Best regards to all.

T

m666 edd
06-09-2011, 06:26 PM
It's the kind of car I would buy if I didn't have one already. Nice rare colour too.

Nick Graves
06-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Actually, Mr. T, it cuts both ways:

If you'd have asked, I'd have suggested you put a couple of those statements (or sort of!) in your ad and you never know, it might have gone for closer to 18 large!

Like I said, it seems like a promising car, so I hope you can hang onto it.

Sudesh
06-09-2011, 08:35 PM
The car is legitimately stamped up on the V5 as a 1994 M, so that is what it is being listed as. It may be a year (even two older), but I imagine cars are registered when they first hit the road with a plate and tax applied.
T

That info is not correct! Imports are not registered in that manner; they are registered by the documents that come in with the car which include original JDM version of a V5 along with other legal documents. So I'm not going to state what may or may not have happened down the line but something has!

So no matter what anyone thinks, its NOT a genuine 1994 car and also this can cause some issue especially when a new owner is looking for parts, as they will order items for a 94 car which may not work on earlier cars!

As I said, from what I can see I would say your car is a 1991, if you wish to know the truth all you have to do is PM me the chassis number or the number on the sill plate as you enter the car.

NSXGB
06-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Sudesh, It can be built in '91 and first registered on the road in '94 therefore be a '94 as I'm sure you know. That is what Mr T explains above. Technically you could be right it may be a '91 spec. Most owners would order using the chassis number so not a problem really - my parts guy always asks.

Sudesh
06-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Sudesh, It can be built in '91 and first registered on the road in '94 therefore be a '94 as I'm sure you know. That is what Mr T explains above. Technically you could be right it may be a '91 spec. Most owners would order using the chassis number so not a problem really - my parts guy always asks.

Again not correct! It would still reflect that in the V5.

For example, take my GTO, its a genuine 1997 car, but its first reg in the UK was in 2010; however it did not receive a 2010 plate it receive the correct age related plated which is "P" reg.

What it states in the V5 is the following

DECLARED MANUFACTURED 1997 on the front page of the V5 at the bottom

Then on the inside on the first page section 4 it says

1.Date of first reg: 01-04-1997
2.Date of first reg in the UK: 01-08-2010

I cant comment on MR.T's documents as I havent seen them, but to hazard a guess I'm assuming its saying the "first reg" date [as per number 1 above] is showing as sometime in 1994 which I'm saying is incorrect, as the car is not a 1994 car. I would also go on to say that the the first UK reg date [as per number 2 above] is more than likely after 2000 sometime??

Heres some pics of the V5 for my GTO which will show what I mean:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/SAM_4704.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/SAM_4705.jpg

Hope that helps.

Geraint
07-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Sudesh, It can be built in '91 and first registered on the road in '94 therefore be a '94
This is correct. It may not be the norm, but it is possible. I've seen a JDM DC2 on an 03-plate, which clearly wasn't manufactured in 2003. In that particular case, and for reasons I'm not aware of, the car was given a registration plate for the year it was imported, not the year of manufacture.

The seller has explained the circumstances of the sale and the reasons why all those parts were replaced, not that he should have had to. I wonder if we could now leave him to sell his car without casting any further aspersions...

:embarassed:

NSXGB
07-09-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm not talking about when it was registered on the road in the UK, when it was first registered on the road in Japan, that year would (should) also be the year assigned to it's UK identity.

I nearly bought a 1994 registered JDM car that was a '91 model but had been a Honda show car displayed at the Suzuka circut for a few years and was not registered on the road until 1993/4, therefore was officially an 'L' plate.

Again not correct! It would still reflect that in the V5.

For example, take my GTO, its a genuine 1997 car, but its first reg in the UK was in 2010; however it did not receive a 2010 plate it receive the correct age related plated which is "P" reg.

What it states in the V5 is the following

DECLARED MANUFACTURED 1997 on the front page of the V5 at the bottom

Then on the inside on the first page section 4 it says

1.Date of first reg: 01-04-1997
2.Date of first reg in the UK: 01-08-2010

I cant comment on MR.T's documents as I havent seen them, but to hazard a guess I'm assuming its saying the "first reg" date [as per number 1 above] is showing as sometime in 1994 which I'm saying is incorrect, as the car is not a 1994 car. I would also go on to say that the the first UK reg date [as per number 2 above] is more than likely after 2000 sometime??

Heres some pics of the V5 for my GTO which will show what I mean:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/SAM_4704.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/SAM_4705.jpg

Hope that helps.

simonprelude
07-09-2011, 05:36 PM
If the date of manufacture cannot be ascertained at the time of registration then the vehicle will be given a plate based on the date of registration and not the date of manufacture.

Justin
07-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Both points are partly right I think: Sudesh is right that the UK docs will show first registration (worldwide); Simon et al are correct in that there might well be perfectly legitimate reasons why any NSX, especially an early one, may not have been registered - even in their first market - in the year of manufacture.

NSXGB
08-09-2011, 05:36 AM
If the date of manufacture cannot be ascertained at the time of registration then the vehicle will be given a plate based on the date of registration and not the date of manufacture.

Would it not be given a 'Q' plate if that was the case? That happened to me once, although after seeing the process, it could have been avoidable in my case.

Hagasan
08-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Based on my recent experiences with jumping through the hoops (and reading the documentation) whilst registering a few 10'ish year old previously unregistered motorbikes, yes I believe the scenario you described would end up with a Q-plate. Unless the person registering a vehicle can provide a manufacturer/official importer "dating letter" to confirm the chassis number and its year of manufacture then the vehicle would end up with a Q plate. Official Japanese registration documents would get an age related plate and if a car was made in 1991 but only first registered in Japan in say 1994 then it should get an L/M plate in the UK not a J/K

Would it not be given a 'Q' plate if that was the case? That happened to me once, although after seeing the process, it could have been avoidable in my case.