PDA

View Full Version : Oil from ASDA

Graham
07-08-2011, 09:08 PM
I noticed ASDA are selling there 'own' 5W-40 fully synthetic oil at £20 for 5 litres.

Anyone got any opinions on it's quality?

Keep it polite !!

Graham

AR
07-08-2011, 09:59 PM
The grade for the NSX is 10w30.

simonprelude
08-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I've used Asda own brand in the S2000 for top ups and have not noticed any detrimental effects.

Graham
08-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Point taken AR, but how critical is that? I'm fairly sure Kaz uses 0W-40, (correct me if I'm wrong Kaz).

G

havoc
08-08-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm using the 5W40 that WAS Silkolene Pro-S - now Fuchs something-or-another.

Seems OK to me...neither NSX nor ITR showing any issues so far.

Sudesh
08-08-2011, 10:15 PM
If the oil is close to original viscosity and is meets the specific API ILSAC spec, then I think it would be fine for cars that are not tracked/raced or driven hard on a regular basis; for me it is more important to change the oil regularly.

Kaz-kzukNA1
09-08-2011, 10:06 AM
My view on the engine oil is described in this post below;

I don’t want to be involved on what is the best oil, the best brake, the best …., reducing weight, etc discussion because personally, I would like to view a car as a total package so I’ll try to keep this simple.

While all these test data from the manufacture and discussion on Forum is useful to a certain level, without knowing the C30A and C32B engine design spec, oil temperature, oil pressure being used, fuel spec and so on, a certain oil showed very good test result under one test condition doesn’t mean it is the best for our engine.

If you are after the so called ‘the best’ engine oil, then it is the one specially blended for our engine spec with purpose, requirement, running environment, fuel spec, etc in mind.

This is why we used to use specially blended engine oil for the F1 engine with the aid from the special fuel additive (which is no longer allowed by the FIA regulation) and the oil/fuel blend was even changed based on circuit simulation, dyno test with circuit mode and so on.

Obviously, something good for F1 engine doesn’t mean it is also good for our engine.

I heard from my friend that several engine oils were tested on the engine dyno in endurance mode using C30A engine.

It’s very old data as you can imagine but I’ll just stick with what I was told, what I have been using even the oil technology advanced and even the actual blend of this oil was changed since it was tested on the dyno.

Personally, if you are using the standard pump fuel and mainly street driving, then as long as it meets the specific API ILSAC standard and the viscosity close to the one in the manual, it will be fine as long as you replace it regularly.

So far, I haven’t seen or heard big drop in compression or noticeable difference in wear because of the engine oil difference using Japanese standard pump fuel.

May be different result in different country as so many conditions are different.

Instead of worrying about which engine oil to be used, I would spend the time and money on monitoring the engine oil temperature if you drive very hard or if you track your NSX.

You will be surprised how quickly it reaches 120degC and even over 130degC on track under hot weather.

I'm quite sure other people has different view so I'll just carry on using the same oil on my NSX for R&D purpose.

Hope to take out the engine again in the future for inspection and cleaning.

Kaz

It was originally posted here;
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?8871-Oil-Options&p=82747#post82747

I use Mobile 1 based on the dyno test data but it was long time ago and it is not the most advanced engine oil from the chemical point of view.

Mobile 1 itself also changed its formula over the years and it was not tested on the dyno every time when it was changed but for me, it worked for more than 130K miles so I’ll keep using it.

So far, I have already inspected my engine twice and nothing wrong with it.

I’m hoping to drop my engine out again this winter and although it won’t be a thorough inspection this time, I’ll be removing the cam shaft so I can at least see what is happening to the coating at the cam lobe.

I have never used Asda oil so can’t really comment on it.

Until you run it on C30A or C32B engine and compare the spectrum during the oil analysis before and after the usage, you can’t really tell the effect on our engine.

Viscosity is just a spec at specific temperature and nothing more than that.

Depending on the country, the recommended viscosity info has changed over the years.

I think in US, it still says 10W-30 preferred in the manual.

In Japan, it is now stated as 5W-40 or 10W-30 because that’s what Honda OEM engine oil are available for NSX but from what I saw, anything similar is fine for normal usage.

Kaz

NZNick
11-08-2011, 02:20 AM
Not sure if you get this (http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-parts/oil/) from your local Honda dealer, but Honda Ultra Gold appears to be Honda's recommendation for the NSX.

Nick Graves
11-08-2011, 09:22 AM
I think it's Castrol SLX from Norton Way, so I use Castrol to top up. I don't do the mileage for interim changes on the garage queens.

Interesting that both Kaz & Sudesh recommend regular changes; I've noticed how high-mileage Honda engines dirty their oil very quickly; I think the early FRM bores in the H22A8 have something to do with that and the B16A2 is starting to dirty its quite a lot. I must admit I use a totally unscientific disgustingometer to ascertain if an interim change is necessary.

So long as Asda oil meets the spec (likely its blended by a reputable company) then fine. Just put the empties in your neighbour's bin - oh, the ignominy of using Asda-branded oil in an NSX!