PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Black NSX for sale

Marky
05-08-2011, 10:19 AM
It is time to sell my lovely NSX, only because I don't have time to drive 4 cars. It has 32000 miles, was bought from Honda Chiswick and only has two owners. I extended the warranty for 2 years including parts. I had a special black leather connolly leather interior fitted by VTEC direct plus lots of other parts including CF rear spoiler, CF air box, hands free kit, upgraded front brake pads, new tyres all round and was serviced by Honda in March. Looking for £50k. Let me know if any interest before I put up on the web. It was advertised by Honda for £47k when I bought it.

nobby
05-08-2011, 12:58 PM
What about selling one of the other 4 cars and keeping the NSX!

If I had the money I would buy this car off you in a heartbeat; black is my favourite colour and I have followed your threads re updates etc. Very nice motor ... hope it stays within the forum and on UK shores

Best of luck with sale

AB5150
05-08-2011, 10:01 PM
yup I'm interested. Send me through a private message with contact details & we can talk. Regards Andrew

AR
05-08-2011, 10:09 PM
It might fetch that if the OEM interior is included and it had a LOT les miles. But there is always a desperate buyer!

Papalazarou
05-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Wow, better not drive mine now.

Cheers,

James.

Marky
05-08-2011, 10:43 PM
One of only three NSX's produced in black from 2002 - 2005 so extremely rare and therefore should command a premium over red or yellow cars that have been up for £45000. Also just paid £1500 for 2 year manufacturers extended warranty.

Papalazarou
06-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Damn, hate having the cheap common colour;-) The other car is a manual targa.

Cheers,

James.

NoelWatson
06-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Also just paid £1500 for 2 year manufacturers extended warranty.

That sounds very expensive - was that from Chiswick?

Marky
07-08-2011, 01:57 AM
Sure was, extended warranty for two years plus parts included. Thanks for the interest in the car. I'm going on holiday on Monday, will think about it whilst I'm away.

Justin
18-08-2011, 10:33 PM
should command a premium over red or yellow cars that have been up for £45000

Prolly true... and black NSXs are very nice when in good fettle though, as my wee bro always says, "once you're inside, it's just a steering wheel and a windscreen" ;)

ConorNZ
19-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Interesting what's happened with the prices - I think they have in fact moved out of my league (in terms of bang for buck) when you can have a DB9 Volante (let alone coupe) of the same vintage, with only 13,000 miles, full history, extended premium warranty for the same money.

Damn it, I still want one anyway!!!

AR
19-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Is just a bit of supply and demand. Couple it with people moving up the VTEC range. Also a few oriental investors who view the NSX as the oriental Ferrari and hat has driven prices up for low mleage cars. Anyone can price their car at whatever price they want, does not mean it will sell. In the winter they will take a dive. In a few years when the new one comes out they will take a BIG fall.

That is without counting all tue crashed non recorded ones!!!

Papalazarou
19-08-2011, 11:40 PM
I think one of two things might happen.

1. People will continue the small but noticeable trend of putting their money into high quality second hand items that do not crumble in your hands after a couple of years of use, whether it be cars, computers, set top hard drives, cameras, bikes, etc etc. There will be a revolt against nasty goods with built in obsolescence.
Or,
2. We will be all crushed by a horrifying global catastrophe that will drive a post apocalyptic world where we finally run out of food and bands of men turn into canibals in order to survive. Just like in 'the road.'
People will no longer obsess about whether their car gives the correct message about them, Has the right paintcode for the wheels, has the correct tint in the clearcoat. They will no longer buy small pieces of plastic to blank out functional components and they will cease to frown at the classified.
Because they'll mostly be dead.

I favour the first. But the second has its appeal also.

Discuss.........

Cheers,

James.

Marky
20-08-2011, 01:53 AM
I have just returned from a lovely break in Italy, driving an Alfa Romeo Guilietta 2.2 Tdi around the lakes. If you haven't been, book it now. Either drive to Lake Como or fly to Milan and rent a car. I stayed at the Hotel Tremezzo which was 90 mins from Malpensa airport. Now coming back to the NSX. I am in the fortunate position to own a few cars including three classic 911's. I have also shared a F430 Spyder for the last year. I mention this to give some perspective on the qualities of the NSX. The Porsche 911 is one of the greatest cars ever made. It is compact, well engineered, feels special to drive and has a lot of character. The Turbo's are super fast and the GT3's are a dream to drive. However, the NSX stills feels special in a way the Porsche doesn't. The driving position is perfect, and with the engine right behind the driver, it feels more sporty than the 911, especially with the gearbox right next to your arm. The F430 is an amazing achievement, but the build quality, in my opinion, still doesn't match the hand built NSX. The 458 Italia has finally matched the NSX for build quality, but one of those will cost you around £180,000. The only thing missing from the NSX is around 50 bhp, but apart from that it is perfect. The build quality is unquestionable, the engine makes an amazing sound when it hits 5000 rpm, it is easy to drive on long distances, and it doesn't get disapproving likes (like Ferrari's and Lambo's do). The clutch is also light, not something you can say for most 911's (especially the GT3) or Aston Martin's. If Honda had built a replacement for the NSX then prices would not have gone up, but with another supercar from Honda unlikely (especially not a petrol driven engine), the NSX will remain the only true supercar Honda produced, and with only 86 cars coming to the UK from 2002 - 2005 it will remain rare, and that should keep prices elevated. With the Yen so strong, imports from Japan are ruled out, keeping supply limited. The NSX was the first useable supercar and remains so to this day. It is also rare, which means it feels special. Honda built the NSX with the driver in mind. They did a great job! I am keeping mine for now, despite being offered £50k from more than two people. Continue to enjoy yours, and if you get time drive to Italy :)

AR
20-08-2011, 07:51 AM
James number 2 has a great appeal. If we make I let's hook up and start the SW section of the CCGB.

On a more serious note Marky I appreciate what you wrote about the NSX, but P.T. Barnum would have been disappointed.

dan the man
20-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Love that post Marky and i love how u can compare it to other more newer cars.

How was the Alfa Romeo Guilietta 2.2 Tdi ???

NSX-FAN
20-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Great post Marky, really enjoyed reading that.

havoc
20-08-2011, 02:12 PM
I have just returned from a lovely break in Italy, driving an Alfa Romeo Guilietta 2.2 Tdi around the lakes. If you haven't been, book it now. Either drive to Lake Como or fly to Milan and rent a car. I stayed at the Hotel Tremezzo...

Back in June we were there - stayed in the La Perla (up the hill at the back of Tremezzo, lovely hosts, safe garage) and then went to Malcesine on Lake Garda (via the Lambo and Pagani factories - the NSX got some appreciative comments from a couple of Lambo employees as I pulled up, and we got to park in the visitor bays!). Back via Black Forest and N'ring...

The Italian lakes...are beautiful, genuinely breathtaking. Expensive, even by European standards, but worth it. And the roads there/back through Switzerland are superb - at times among the best I've driven.

BUT...the roads around the lakes are far better suited to e.g. a Fiat 500 than a supercar. 50km/h limits everywhere, NARROW roads (hint: DO NOT go on the lakeside road from Lugano across to Como - it's SCARILY narrow and both of our nerves were a mess by the time we got to Lake Como...if a little 500 hadn't been in front of us a Q7 would have ended our holiday before it started, taking the middle of the road through a blind left-hander (to him, r-hander to us).). Without an early start and an hour's jaunt back into Switzerland you won't be doing the sort of 'sorties' that a holiday to the Cote d'Azur or the Black Forest so readily permits...

TheSebringOne
20-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Great to hear that you are keeping the NSX now & great article!

Marky
21-08-2011, 12:38 AM
that's funny as I also stayed in Malcesine at the Hotel Du Lac. Unfortunately I didn't take my NSX as I didn't have time to drive to Italy and back in 6 days, so I rented the Alfa from Milan airport. It was fine for the motorways, being a 2.2 Tdi, but it wasn't much fun on the twisties. I would like to go back in my 911 Speedster and drive along the coast with the roof down. What a beautiful place.

havoc
21-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Speedster would be a good car - narrow(ish) convertible with a good soundtrack.

We had a look at the du-Lac but wanted to save some budget - stayed at the Benacus at the bottom-end of town, which was nice enough but not as good as the La Perla. Preferred Malcesine overall to Tremezzo, but would recommend avoiding the Michelin-star Ristorante Vecchia Malcesine - overpriced (they serve you miniscule quantities of cheaper cuts) and with poor service (most notably the head chef who came out and told me very bluntly I had no taste because I said I didn't enjoy one of the courses).

Marky
23-08-2011, 12:46 PM
yes, Speedster would be perfect for a drive around the Alps and Lake Como. Maybe next year.

havoc
24-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Nice motor...does it drive as nicely as it looks?

Rob_Fenn
24-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Have to say, the 964 Speedster is a bit of an oddball to look at. I used to love the 964RS and considered one a few years back, but the prices are now ridiculous for what is an average car.

I bought a 997 Turbo a week ago, which is a marvellous tool. It however has absolutely no soul whatsoever. I find it ironic that temporary road tests talked about how the NSX lacked character, but nowadays, compared to modern machinery, it has bags of it in comparison!

We also talk about the NSX not having enough power, but why? I personally think it is more to do with keeping up with the horsepower race. I would argue my 997T is a little too competent. Always the best example of this is a classic hot hatch (e.g. Pug 205) vs the incredibly good, but ultimately bland modern hatch (Golf GTI).

I personally think because the NSX is so rare and has such as great story behind it, prices will keep going up. As the years roll by, it will be interesting to see how values favour pop-up versus non pop-up cars.

Sudesh
24-08-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm not a huge Porsche fan and have absolute no interest UNLESS its the 964 Turbo, Porsche 356 or 993 Turbo.

Rob interesting to hear your comment on the 997 as couple weeks ago I had a run in one, and your comments echo my thoughts about it!

Papalazarou
25-08-2011, 11:54 AM
My 997 C2S wasn't particularly confident unless the road was well surfaced. I guess the awd versions are more composed.
I find it interesting that many car enthusiasts base their opinions of character on how likely the car is to kill you.

Cheers,

James.

Nick Graves
25-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Absolutely true! Always has been, too.

That's why the dreadful old 911s are 'better' than the new ones, apparently: If the driving position don't get you, the semi-swing axles surely will.

In the same way, those two three-cylinder engines having a punch-up in the back of the "too-bland" NSX have more character than the smooth, fuel-sipping Toyota lump in the Evora.

It really is a fine line...

Papalazarou
25-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Absolutely true! Always has been, too.

That's why the dreadful old 911s are 'better' than the new ones, apparently: If the driving position don't get you, the semi-swing axles surely will.

In the same way, those two three-cylinder engines having a punch-up in the back of the "too-bland" NSX have more character than the smooth, fuel-sipping Toyota lump in the Evora.

It really is a fine line...

Agree, a fine line that allows people to talk themselves in or out of whatever they want to own.
Honestly I used to think that if you liked a car enough, you'd put up with it's quirks and the general criticism.
However, as you get older I think the average car enthusiast develops a list of test that his future purchase must pass. Gone are the days where you made the decision based on your racing heart and inability to adequately pay for it. Now it's got to fit a very specific criteria.
This makes me sad in a way because there are so many really fun cars I probably will never own, largely because they have; bad residuals, have only got four cylinders, aren't reliable, aren't quick enough, are too quick, rot out, are too old, are too expensive to run, cannot drive because they plummet in price, have the wrong gearbox, aren't rare 'special' enough or are badly made.

Here's my shortlist; not necessarily in order.....

Lotus Exige
M3 CSL
Porsche 993
Porsche 996 TT
Renault Clio V6 MkII
Audi R8
F355
F308
Lotus Evora
Any Maserati
Porsche 968/928
Cayman

It's the curse of the NSX, I truly wish I'd never bought one.

Cheers,

James.

Nick Graves
25-08-2011, 06:42 PM
:D I've always been like that though - a grumpy young git, who got easily annoyed at certain shortcomings. It's why I've actually owned so few cars and am loathe to replace the ones I have. They each fill a specific role that is almost irreplaceable.

Agree about the F3x8 GTB/S; it was sort of my dream car until one day in 1990 the scales fell from my eyes.

I'm pissed off with Honda because they don't still make the NSX - in more variations!

havoc
26-08-2011, 07:45 PM

Agree entirely.

Got to test-drive an Evora-S a couple of weeks back, and it was phenomenally competent (in very wet conditions, within 20mins, I was driving it quicker than I'd take the ITR, let alone the NSX), and unarguably quick, but it was a little 'bland' - even in Sport mode the engine was far too quiet/uninteresting, and given the speeds I was doing in the wet (without noticeable ESP intervention) you'd have to wonder what you'd need to do to "get a reaction" from the car...although I suspect that is the point - the car that does everything for you, for the man who has no time/inclination to learn how to do it for himself. Overall though very nice inside, very responsive, acceptable gearbox, great pedal spacing...and atrocious rear viz, as with all modern sports cars sadly.

Got back in the NSX, and it just 'felt right' - even the twitches on the exit from r'bouts felt more natural (and way more involving) than the 'unburstable composure' of the Lotus - never thought I'd say a Lotus was boring!

Senninha
26-08-2011, 08:05 PM
.......Got back in the NSX, and it just 'felt right' - even the twitches on the exit from r'bouts felt more natural (and way more involving) than the 'unburstable composure' of the Lotus - never thought I'd say a Lotus was boring!

Didn't they used to write that the one of the down sides of the NSX was that is was just too easy to drive quickly? I find it amusing that we're now driving newer electronically controlled cars and find ourselves now looking to the NSX to provide that 'traditional' edginess and engagement .... how times change.

I still refer to my Elise 135 as one of the best cars I've ever owned. Total confidence in all conditions but it certainly didn't seem clinical in the way you describe the Evora.

regards, Paul

havoc
26-08-2011, 09:41 PM
I still refer to my Elise 135 as one of the best cars I've ever owned. Total confidence in all conditions but it certainly didn't seem clinical in the way you describe the Evora.

Not driven a 135 but have driven a 111R. The -R 'felt' very like my ITR in character, albeit more agile, more planted and quicker. It had that 'up for it' feel, and you just wanted to throw it down a B-road, and knew what was going on under you all the time.

The Evora felt like you really could throw it down the same B-road, but you felt like it was doing more of the work for you - perhaps a side-effect of the bizarrely little roll for the ride quality? (Very flat yet at least equal comfort to the NSX) I'm wondering what I actually 'felt' through the seat of the pants now...I know I had a lot of confidence in the car very quickly, which is a good sign...maybe it was just that it was too easy to go that quickly - no need to 'work for it'?!?

Very good all-round car though - visibility and engine note aside, my only other niggles were:-
- the steering 'weight' felt a little artificial/glutinous - very similar to a lot of modern hydraulic PAS set-ups. In all other regards it was very good - it retained good 'granularity' and felt almost S2000-quick lock-to-lock.'. NSX weight felt better but less nuggety, while ITR, for me, has the best of both - natural weight and decent granularity, except around the straight-ahead. Elise in a whole other category for steering feel... :D
- it was just TOO good. I'm an average driver (for an enthusiast), and I really didn't think I was bringing anything to the party, even on a bumpy B-road in the wet at :cough: mph. I'm sure everything from the 997 upwards is the same...which makes me sad...I've nothing more to 'aim for', as a road-car!

Nick Graves
27-08-2011, 02:46 PM
I found with the Evora, the steering was a tad over-damped & getting the lock off when the 'dab of oppo' came, was rather too stiff. The NSX is far nicer. Maybe that's why they increased the castor on the Evora S.

The ride was just like the EK4; great for the driver, terrible for the passenger! You vibrate up & down & sound like a Dalek. The cotton-reel-wheeled NSX is better than any modern German Luxobarge saloon, from either side.

Don't get me wrong; I like the Evora a lot. But the NSX is just brilliant and shows how far backward modern cars have gone.

Marky
30-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Going back to Porsche's for a second.... the 964 was the first 911 model that had power steering, decent brakes and a lovely 5 speed gearbox. The noise of the engine is sublime. Nothing much comes close to sounding as good as a flat six air cooled engine on song. The 993 was even better but lost some of the rawness of the 964. Still air cooled and better suspension, but not quite as agricultural. Nevertheless, the 993 Turbo is one of the best cars ever produced. It sounds great, can hit 60mph in under 4 seconds, is compact, reliable and being the last of the air cooled Turbo's makes it something very special. It was built at a time when Porsche cared about quality, and was not mass produced - like all 911's after 1998. My car has the X pack which increased power to 430bhp and it is super quick, yet being 4WD, it is fairly easy to handle and can be driven hard in the wet. The NSX has a few things in common with the air cooled 911's. It was built at a time when Honda were focused on building the useable supercar and they were going to succeed no matter what the development costs. The NSX is probably the last supercar Honda are likely to make, which also makes it something very special. The 911 and the NSX are both supercar legends. Both are supercars that can be used on a daily basis.