PDA

View Full Version : AT to MT conversion

IRLnsx
29-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Hi there,

I am considering buying an NSX and there is a low milage one available locally to me in Ireland and seems to be good value, unfortunately it is an automatic.
Does anyone know if its possible to convert from auto to manual? Who does it and any idea of cost?

gumball
29-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Far too difficult to convert, best off waiting for a manual if that is what you want. Good luck with the search.

AR
01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Buy the Auto enjoy it and if you want more power better off getting a CTSC slapped on it ( some say is too much power for the box, but never heard of a problem on Prime ) and be faster than a manual stock NSX. ( Not that it is that difficult ! )

jpspringall
01-07-2011, 06:13 PM
For what it's worth

I've only got an auto licence so i've driven quite a few over the years, and have to say once you get used to where the 'manual' shift is - ie on the steering wheel stalk rather than a slide left/right on the gear level, it's as good if not better than any other car than i've driven.

James

goldnsx
01-07-2011, 09:40 PM
The conversion is doable but it's not cheap and a lot of work. I've a book from Japan where the conversion is described and shown by many pics. Personally, I wouldn't do it and would be better waiting for the right manual out there. It needs quite a lot of time...
7 out of 11 cars for sale at the moment here in Switzerland are automatics. They don't sell.

Nick Graves
03-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Interesting that Kaz recently stated the auto was a good drive - if you know how.

I wouldn't mind trying one, just for comparo's sake.

I tend to agree with LJKS on a lot of stuff and he was an auto fan.

If you drive one correctly (after all, if one cannot drive an auto correctly, what hope has one for a manual?) with one foot on each pedal & one finger on the selector switch, it ought to be smooth & fast. Especially since the NSX has TC lock-up on third & fourth, so throttle-steer is still there, it ought to drive very well, if not as aggressively as the manual box.

PS - if you're trying left-foot braking for the first time, remember that leg is trained for the clutch which is much heavier & you'll probably end up on the windscreen. It takes practice to squeeze the brake with one's toe, as one does with the other foot!

Nick Graves
03-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Oops - double post.

IRLnsx
04-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all the info guys.. I think i will hold out for a manual..

A.S. Motorsport
04-08-2011, 11:12 PM
A lot of work we get these AT > MT requests often.
Your going to need to upgrade your whole engine to MT spec if you want it to be equal there a LOT of parts internally that are of lower spec on a AT vs MT.

Even if you where to swap the tranny and related bit's you'd still be 25 HP down.
Generally speaking it isn't worth while financially. but if you could get this NSX dirt cheap and like a good project have a go! (UK nsx's are already the cheapest in the world)

m666 edd
05-08-2011, 09:07 AM
UK nsx's are only perceived cheaper because of the way the exchange rates have gone. To us the prices seem to be higher than they used to be. I wouldn't be surprised if the exchange rates get turned on their head in the not too distant future due to many other countries only now realising their debts!

Nick Graves
05-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Decades of fiat money has debased most currencies and it's coming home to roost - put your wealth in gold or NSXs!