PDA

View Full Version : sat nav virgin

candyman
06-05-2011, 05:38 PM
I am looking to buy a decent sat nav. I don't know much about them and as a tecnodivvy would like an easy to use model-any suggestions? Also thinking about staying at a b and b or hotel between Japfest and the wirral but obviously need somewhere i can park without worrying about my nsx's door being clobbered by someone with a short life expectancy, and a few decent pubs within walking distance.

Senninha
06-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Garmin Nuvi would be my recommendation and I knwo MarkC uses one. Go for the one with European maps.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=133&fKeys=FILTER_SERIES_NUVI2000

Cant help with the B&B but if you ask in the Japfest thread there will be someone along who stayed over last year to offer guidance ... try Dragonlady from memory ...

nakamichi
06-05-2011, 06:47 PM
I have a Garmin.Even my wife can use it and she struggles with the TV remote control!

gumball
06-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I'd go with Garmin too, I've just bought my dad one. I'll have to get one myself soon too, as lovely as my vintage Street pilot is, the maps are way out of date and unobtainable.

markc
07-05-2011, 12:54 AM
My Garmin Nuvi is dead simple to use and will definately get you where you need to go.

One annoying thing is that it only has "Fastest" or "Shortest" journey options. The former uses main roads and motorways whenever possible even when you know a different route would be more sensible. The latter uses small roads an even tracks which leads to some bizarre routing! It could do with a "Most logical" or "Recommended" option. Mines a few years old now so the newer ones may be better. Also it does get rather wedded to it's initial route and if you deviate on purpose it tries for ages to get you back on the original route. Again newer ones may be better.

I've heard good things about the Navigon units?

Cheers

Mark

markc
07-05-2011, 12:56 AM
My Garmin Nuvi is dead simple to use and will definately get you where you need to go.

One annoying thing is that it only has "Fastest" or "Shortest" journey options. The former uses main roads and motorways whenever possible even when you know a different route would be more sensible. The latter uses small roads an even tracks which leads to some bizarre routing! It could do with a "Most logical" or "Recommended" option. Mines a few years old now so the newer ones may be better. Also it does get rather wedded to it's initial route and if you deviate on purpose it tries for ages to get you back on the original route. Again newer ones may be better.

I've heard good things about the Navigon units?

Cheers

Mark

sorepaws
07-05-2011, 07:00 AM
TomTom SatNavs are also easy to use and depending what you want provide a whole host of features (as they all do) including the ability to remove motorways from the route

This seems like a good place for up to date info

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Have fun navigating your way around SatNavs :-D

Mike

Chris B N
07-05-2011, 08:50 AM
I have a 5 year old Tom Tom 700 GO
with European street level, comprehensive info easy to use and only need the 1 for use in 3 cars.
Excellent and easy to download updates on roads and cameras.

Nick Graves
07-05-2011, 03:08 PM
I was really very impressed by my Snooper S2000.

But it's developed an error and cannot download the yellow cashpoints any more. It's either a damaged SD card or unit.

Trouble is, it's when I'm up & down the roads all the time it had to happen...

Ewan
07-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Also thinking about staying at a b and b or hotel between Japfest and the wirral

I've been using www.viamichelin.com (http://www.viamichelin.com) for years and never, not once, has it recommended a bad place - hotels/B&Bs, pubs, restaurants, all over Europe.

nobby
07-05-2011, 11:38 PM
personally i would go for Garmin have one on the bike and in my wife's car. good equipment :)

NSXGB
08-05-2011, 06:58 AM
I'm guessing you don't have a smartphone Candyman? I've been using Nav Free on my iPhone and it works well and is obviously free, which is the best bit...

Geraint
08-05-2011, 09:13 AM
One annoying thing is that it only has "Fastest" or "Shortest" journey options. The former uses main roads and motorways whenever possible even when you know a different route would be more sensible. The latter uses small roads an even tracks which leads to some bizarre routing! It could do with a "Most logical" or "Recommended" option.

My Tomtom has exactly the same problem - I'd like a preferences setup screen where you could say you liked B-roads, disliked motorways, avoid town centres etc.

If I'm able to plan the route in advance then I often use Google maps to find a sensible route, then set waypoints in the Tomtom so that it navigates me along that route.

Sort of defeats the object though... :thumbsdown:

Nick Graves
08-05-2011, 06:41 PM
The Snooper is slightly better and isn't obsessed with the M25 like the Dutch stoner one I had before. Think if I went from the kitchen to the toilet it'd have suggested the Road to Hell...