PDA

View Full Version : Hello and does anyone know this car?

umran9
04-05-2011, 06:51 PM
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2732626.htm

Hi My name is Umran and im from the West Midlands, Im finally in a position where i can buy my dreamcar a Honda NSX! Does anyone have any info regarding the above car?

Thanks in advance Umran

Silver Surfer
04-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Don't think the owner is a member here...looks a well kept car on the exterior.
Price reflects mileage...?Motorway miles.
As long as the service schedule is carried in full...nothing to worry about a would be a good entry into NSX ownership.
Best to see it with a seasoned NSX'er.

SS

umran9
04-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Ive spoken to seller and he reassures me it has FSH along with lots reciepts and has had a recent cambelt and clutch change! He is willing to move on price slightly once ive viewed the car in person...;)

havoc
04-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Definitely get experienced/professional inspection.

Before you go, scan through Kaz and Sudesh's threads in Technical for the usual issues and the possible expensive problems. (But don't panic too much - the cars are old now, but they're also very well built)
When you're there, take off the rose-tints and appraise it carefully. A £14k NSX probably won't depreciate much...but could cost easily £2-3k a year in maintenance, more if the previous owners have skimped.
...so check the service history with a fine tooth comb, and look for evidence of replacements and refurbishments, not just service items.

Re: the advert, it reads like a trader pretending to be private, or a private owner who can't be bothered to write a good advert. Not a good start...but as above, it does look clean from the photos. Definitely worth a look.

umran9
04-05-2011, 09:58 PM
My only concern is the high mileage! However if it has been correctly maintained it should be fine hopefully...

Senninha
04-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Good luck with the viewing and do try to take either an exisitng owner with you or invest in an RAC inspection.

Even though it may have a well documented service history, you should look for receipts for work that isn't part of the 'standard' maintenace schedule. Jobs such as coolant hose replacement (approx 23 pipes) as you wont want one of the 19 yr old coolant hoses letting go on you. Have the calipers had a full overhaul, has the main relay been replaced, ECU board serviced. Make sure the engine is dry externally, cheecking for leaks around gaskets etc.

You say its had timing belt and clutch which is good, check to see if they did the main pulley and the water pump at the same time.

Aall of the above together with a full service history should set you on your way to many happy NSX miles. And using the above should help you save a few ££ on purchase to have these jobs completed.

All the best,

Paul

Justin
04-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Definitely get experienced/professional inspection.

Before you go, scan through Kaz and Sudesh's threads in Technical for the usual issues and the possible expensive problems. (But don't panic too much - the cars are old now, but they're also very well built)
When you're there, take off the rose-tints and appraise it carefully. A £14k NSX probably won't depreciate much...but could cost easily £2-3k a year in maintenance, more if the previous owners have skimped.
...so check the service history with a fine tooth comb, and look for evidence of replacements and refurbishments, not just service items.

Re: the advert, it reads like a trader pretending to be private, or a private owner who can't be bothered to write a good advert. Not a good start...but as above, it does look clean from the photos. Definitely worth a look.

As with all the other posts - good points. Taking off the rose tints is the best single piece of advice you could have... be objective with everything, and take someone who knows more than you about NSXs, even if it's an RAC guy.

"Nothing more expensive than a cheap car", as they say.

On havoc's point about the seller's identity, I read this as clearly a trade ad & a quick cross-check on autotrader verifies that this is indeed the case. Nowt wrong with that, unless he's passing off as private here.... (btw, the foolproof way to verify whether you're speaking to a masquerading trader is always to say "I'm phoning about the car", the trade will then be forced to say "which one") ;)

Nick Graves
05-05-2011, 10:37 AM
That ad. is scarily bad, what with the Winnie The Pooh Style Capitalisations etc.

But for the price, it's very very tempting if it's true.

Umran, don't be put off by the mileage per se; it's only an old Honda & you have to take them out into the woods & shoot them in the end.

Like everyone say, so long as the panel gaps are perfect & no signs of overspray & rubber seals are not gone etc, then it should be a potential.

You would expect some tattiness (leather!) commensurate with age, but a LOT can be restored sympathetically, with some magic potions from the world of online.

You must budget for a few (hideously expensive) repairs with any ancient supercar & Honda prices will make you weep.

Best of luck...

nobby
05-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Very well put ... :(

frustrating as hell, not forgetting the potential delay or wait for specific parts

best of luck with your search, hope u get ur NSX!

Honda prices will make you weep.

Best of luck...

214nsx
06-05-2011, 11:37 PM
I think it same one in ebay some week ago for £11999 it only on for a few hour before withdraw so i guess it been pick up by trade.

umran9
10-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Right had a look at this, wasnt a bad car but does need some money spending on it ie bodywork and engine, clutch bites really high and no service history after 2000 so will give it a miss! The search continues...

Papalazarou
10-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Not sure whether you knew, but they all have a high biting point.

Cheers,

James.

umran9
10-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Not sure whether you knew, but they all have a high biting point.

Cheers,

James.
This was so high my knee was hitting steering wheel... I just felt that with the issues it would cost me the same as a tidy one that i can just drive right away. I want to enjoy it as soon as i get one rather than have it being worked upon for weeks.

Nick Graves
13-05-2011, 09:42 AM
You do know the column is telescopically adjustable, don't you? Or are you just tall?

Mine has quite a low biting point, though.

But I agree - if you don't want more than detail fettling, hang on for a later car.

umran9
13-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Yea i know the column is adjustable, I think i will keep on waiting for the right one...