PDA

View Full Version : boot struts (really dull)

wgmr
05-12-2005, 02:14 PM
My boot keeps eating my head, Apparently I need new boot struts which are 2 at £75 each plus vat and fitting, does that sound right?

Any ways of getting it done cheaper?

ctrlaltdelboy
05-12-2005, 02:47 PM
click here! (http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=788) only $119 + shipping for the pair - including the balls.

(or here without balls at $97 if you're really cheap (http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=767))

TheQuietOne
05-12-2005, 02:57 PM
click here! (http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=788) only $119 + shipping for the pair - including the balls.

(or here without balls at $97 if you're really cheap (http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=767))

I know you said it keep eating your head but surely there's no need to remove its balls to teach it a lesson?

Sagacitas
05-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Wouldn't removing it's balls turn it into a hairdressers car? :?

wgmr
05-12-2005, 09:24 PM
THANKS MAY YOU RECEIVE AN NSXR IN YOUR XMAS STOCKING!!!

osiris_x11
07-12-2005, 04:28 AM
If interested in a strut-rebuild, here is a viable option:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61324

Strutwise
Frank Irvine
BC, Canada
$35CND/strut
Email: info@strutwise.com

A few of the mainland European NSX'ers have gone this route.

Even OEM replacement struts fail, sooner or later... :x

But the rebuilt-struts actually don't fail. Their gaskets/seals/pressure is increased to specs' well over OEM as well (making them even stronger).

Anyways, just another option for those who need to get hatch & boot struts rebuilt. 8)

wgmr
08-12-2005, 02:04 PM
thanks, I have bought the oem ones now, still i reckon they will do me, the last ones survived 10 yrs!

thanks again

Will

Nick Graves
09-12-2005, 11:10 AM
That's one of the reasons these cars fascinate me so much!

Can you imagine owners of certain other supercar icons grumbling that the tailgate struts are a bit dodgy after 10 years? They'd be what holds the lid onto the bodywork (probably!)

britlude
09-12-2005, 05:34 PM
hi, OEM part number 74872-SLO-013 ( from Dali, and Prime) boot (or 'trunk' for our colonial friends!) struts..

£28.33 + Vat from Honda, well at least my local one (G&M motors, Gravesend, Kent)

Hope that helps... as mine have given up at the first sign of some cold weather!

wgmr
09-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Damn and blast, if I had know that I could have got them for £23, I have paid £100 and shipping for the staes, but that is still half of what Honda quoted me. Would the £23 ones have worked, are the the exact smae item?

Thanks
Will

ctrlaltdelboy
09-12-2005, 08:15 PM
awesome find britlude :shock:

I'll let Mark at Dali know - he can get his stock from there in future!

G & M Honda Gravesend
Milton Road Garage
Milton Road
Gravesend
Kent
DA12 2PP
Tel 01474 365026
Fax 01474 328730

info@gravesend-honda.co.uk

ctrlaltdelboy
09-12-2005, 08:22 PM
by the way, is that £28.33 + vat (£33.29) per pair?

if not, and that price is for singles then you are looking at £66.58, which in dollars is $116.87 (in order to compare with Dali prices)

so could you clarify whether this is per side or per pair?
and are they with balls or without?

still a damn good price whatever, as almost every OEM item have ever needed has always been cheaper from the states.

cheers

britlude
10-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Hi, I ordered them today, and with a cheeky request for discount, it'll be £60 for 2 inc. VAT, pick them up tuesday!

Don't come with the balls though, that's a seperate part number..

I found out they were reasonable when I ordered glass hatch struts from honda, but the import EPC had the wrong part number (had the boot ones in it's place) so they were ordered in by mistake, ironically I sent them back, and got the hatch ones from Dali ( as they were half the price of honda UK)...

now , typically, I need the boot ones since it got cold!

ctrlaltdelboy
11-12-2005, 10:18 AM
nice negotiating! - at current exchange thats only $102.

the convenience factor probably makes up for the $5 premium over Dali prices and/or makes up any shipping cost differences.

let us know how hard it is to swap the balls from the old struts to the new ones could you?

wgmr
12-12-2005, 04:33 PM
I don't feel too bad about that then, they should be fitted very soon.

Thanks again

britlude
18-12-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi, I got the gas rams today, and armed with a 12mm spanner and a small flat screw driver I set to work... now the rams are held on by an E-clip at the boot end, and the ball joint at the car end. after removing the e-clip with the screwdriver, and being careful not to launch it down the drive when it twanged off, I then undid the ball from the car with the spanner, and about 3 minutes later one ram was off..

Retreating to the garage, as it was warmer, I then proceded to remove the ball.. well, I would have done had it not been for a design feature by honda... inside the gas-ram 'cup' there's a small snap ring ( and NSX's are famous for them!) when assembling the joint, this snap-ring butts up to a square edge, the circular ball eases it open, and it 'snaps' together.. all fine and dandy.. however, if the ball is pulled out, the snapring is pulled up a taper, locking it solid, effectively a one way joint the ball can push in, but not pull out (unlike every other ball/socket joint in the history of engineering!). Not a problem, my struts are useless, so no qualms about a quick saw cut and the ball is free! the re-assembly is simple, screw the ball back into the car, slide on the top joint and refit the e-clip, minding your fingers, and just snap the ball joint together, easy!

Repeat for the other side, with the extra bit of removing the wire clip for the brake light! I done this all holding the boot up with my head, though you could use a broom handle or willing volunteer.

All in all, with the added time of cutting the balls out... about 25 minutes total, if you buy them with the balls aswell, you are probably looking at 10. Not complicated in any way. Obviously it will take longer if you have to look for a launched e-clip!

So, I hope that helps, and recommend buying the balls as well, it'll make life so much easier!

jonathanolney
16-02-2006, 07:45 PM
I was quoted about £180 for a pr of glass hatch struts by my local dealer who would only allow a 5% discount. I have just had them regassed instead by http://www.sgs-engineering.com They are in Derby, charge was £45pr inc delivery & VAT with immediate turnaround - ask for Andy. They will also supply new units for about £100.

Jim
16-02-2006, 09:36 PM
I have seen a number of interest alternative UK/International based suppliers for small/large expensive items and or services post on NSXCB over the last 6 months. Would there be any support for an area within the vendors area to list these suppliers, so that they can be accessed by all.

I for one would be very interested in such a list.

Jim

TheQuietOne
17-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Me too, although the search tool is your aid it is still sometimes hard to find things when you need them!

I'll vote for an 'alternative' supplier list!

mutley
19-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Good morning all,

I am so glad this question has popped up, guess what? yep mine have gone as well, but as I don't use the boot much and have other priority problems to sort out, it has answered a question before I had to ask it. Nice one.