PDA

View Full Version : Newbie..

Tokyo-Joe
26-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Hey all,

I'm a long time *** fan and have gone through many of the bargain performance cars (an awful long time with nissans, I spent about 20k on a 180sx :eek:) but now i'm finally at a point where an NSX is *just* about possible :D

I have my JZX90 up for sale, my posh wheels up for sale and fingers crossed a loan of the remainder to make up the 20k for my budget.

My dream NSX is a black 3.0 manual popup model however from lurking this forum I see that's a pretty rare combo so I guess i'll just be keeping an eye open for the best car I can get in my budget.

Fingers crossed everything goes well and the current car sells soon and I can join the elite ranks of NSX owners :)

Thanks,
Joe

NSXGB
26-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Welcome.
There is a black manual on Pistonheads at the moment for £23k.
Other than that there are a few more in faster colours for sub £20k advertised there too. A couple are owned by forum members here.

NSXGB
26-04-2011, 10:57 PM
....or the Charlotte Green 'R' reg 3.0 manual on Auto Trader could be worth a look....

TheSebringOne
26-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Welcome! I would not restrict yourself just to black as NSX are rare and black ones even rarer.

Good luck in your search.

Tokyo-Joe
27-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks guys :)

I made the black one a testing-the-water offer and he wants the full amount which is fair enough but prices me out.

Haha 'faster colours'. I would ideally like a members car and I have my eye on a couple at the moment.

Tokyo-Joe
27-04-2011, 06:35 AM
Regarding the green one it says its a targa sunroof, does that mean its a targa roof panel or just some jazzy sunroof? I assume the targa cars would be heavier, do you any links to the specs on them?

Senninha
27-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Hi,

Yes a T-Top is heavier. However, it also has a different chassis set-up with more compliance than the coupe which many prefer given the condition of our roads here in the UK. Drivetrain is the same. Its also not that difficult to remove wieght from an NSX so dont let this put you off if you find a good T within budget.

In many lighting conditions both Charlotte Green and Midnight Purple will give the appearance of being black in colour.

Good luck and dont forget to check this thread http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?688-Want-to-buy-an-NSX-Start-here-please...

regards, Paul

SILVER BULLET
27-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Welcome Tokyo Joe,
There is a great oppotunity to look at our cars coming up soon at the Japfest,Castle Combe on Saturday May 14th. It would give you the chance to compare and talk to owners,

Cheers,

Ian

Tokyo-Joe
01-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Well I found a buyer for my car and I have a big pile of cash for the right nsx.. I just missed the yellow targa I had my eye on :(

I'm looking for a manual coupe or targa in black, yellow or white with lowish miles around the 20k mark.

Any leads from you guys? :)

AR
01-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Define lowish because at that mark it would be hard to find anything with low miles.

Nick Graves
01-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Welcome.

The only problem with the -Ts is a lack of rigidity can make the steering a bit understeery. Some believe that chassis braces and a change of ARBs can alleviate it to some extent.

Oh, I've got you modding already. Sorry.

Tokyo-Joe
02-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Mileage around 60k would be perfect but a little higher would be fine as well.

Thanks for the handling advice, unfortunately I already am a dyed in the wool modifier..

jpspringall
02-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Hi Joe,

If you can do it, i'd probably recommend that you drive both a targa and coupe, and see what you think the difference is.

I couldnt tell a huge amount of difference, and nothing beats a targa in the summer, and summer's a coming :-)

Also if it's got an after market alarm, remember to ask where it's located, and also check the documentation for the PIN - I forgot to do it and was a right pain when mine stopped working.

James

Tokyo-Joe
02-06-2011, 11:03 AM
I really don't mind the handling negatives of a targa, I'm a big fan of open tops and an open top nsx is living the dream in my books. Haha :)

I have a week long European road trip in a month that I wanted to take the nsx on, I guess at this rate ill need to pickup an s2k as a cheap temp car and sell it once the tour is done.

Unless your a targa nsx owner reading this and I can tempt your keys away for a stack of cash? :D

jpspringall
02-06-2011, 12:13 PM
After 2 years of looking for mine, i think i'll keep the keys ;-)

Mind you it's an auto, so you wouldnt want it anyway :-)

James

Tokyo-Joe
02-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Touche :)
Two years damn!

jpspringall
02-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Hopefully wont take you that long....

I was looking at a bad time, only ones i could find were over inflated dealer ones.

NSX100
03-06-2011, 08:47 AM
As the owner of a 3.2 litre targa I can assure you that these apparent handling issues relative to the coupe are a complete myth. No doubt if you were to race them around Brands Hatch there may be a difference but Senninha's comment is correct. I have never known a car with such a superb ride and handling and I challenge anyone outside a race track to tell the difference if the cars are set up correctly.

The simple question is do you want to wait for a good targa and all its benefits in the good weather or go for the first good car you find.

Good hunting

David

Tokyo-Joe
15-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Well there is a bit of an update on my NSX quest, a local member (Mutley) Very kindly took time out to show me his NSX and take me for a blast :D

The car has certainly lived up to my expectations and as a result i've put a deposit down on my own NSX. Hopefully i'll collect and upload pics of it in the next couple of weeks! Can't wait!

WhyOne?
15-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Good man & well done!

Look forward to seeing your car.

Tokyo-Joe
22-07-2011, 11:25 PM
I picked up my car today :) apart from the .. questionable electric (windows, clock, headlamp, speakers) it drove great. A really smooth and refined drive. It looks beautiful.. c7nsx if you know it? I will fix some of the niggles and a crazy exhaust is my first port of call. Cambelt and servicing all done.

AR
23-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Sounds like you have a plan for it, now get the pictures on. :)

Tokyo-Joe
23-07-2011, 02:49 PM
I gave the car it's first wash (in my care) today, the paint seems really good, just a little flat. I found no dents and only a handful of scratches across the entire body. Lovely!

http://www.180sx.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/nsx/nsx1.jpg

http://www.180sx.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/nsx/nsx2.jpg

http://www.180sx.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/nsx/nsx3.jpg

http://www.180sx.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/nsx/nsx4.jpg

http://www.180sx.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/nsx/nsx5.jpg

http://www.180sx.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/nsx/nsx7.jpg

I absolutely love it, it's been a dream car of mine for years.

I'm gagging to get a crazy exhaust on there so the noise matches the looks and hopefully ordering one in from the states this week.

jpspringall
23-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Congratulations mate, Know exactly how you feel, there was an 8 year gap between me wanting and getting mine.

Has it be lowered? As going by nsx5.jpg it looks slightly lower than mine?

James

AR
23-07-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm gagging to get a crazy exhaust on there so the noise matches the looks and hopefully ordering one in from the states this week.

I can help with that LOL :)

Tokyo-Joe
23-07-2011, 04:01 PM
The mods that I know of are:

- Custom induction kits (pair) inside stock are box
- 8pot calipers front and rear, brembo rear handbrake in addition
- Porsche wheels (not sure which yet)
- Tein springs on stock dampers
- Carbon center console

23-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Congratulations mate!

Welcome to the forum. It looks very nice indeed. Hopefully catch you at one of the meets.

Andy

TheSebringOne
23-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Welcome and congratulations! If you have lots of questions, there will plenty of help here. Enjoy!

214nsx
23-07-2011, 11:42 PM
congratulations toyko joe, nice mod especially the wheels and big brakes.

Tokyo-Joe
24-07-2011, 07:45 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome :)

I have a ton of silly electrical issues to work through so will be delving into tech to try and resolve them!

mutley
26-07-2011, 10:38 AM
JOe,

Im glad you got the car, give me a shout and I'll come over and have a look.

Jim

Tokyo-Joe
28-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks mate and yes a mini meet is in order!

Sudesh
02-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Congrats and welcome!

The wheels on you car are the same style as on my brothers 2002 996 carrera 2. Not sure if yours are OEM or not from the pics, but I can tell you that the OEM porsche wheels are really wide at the rear. Personally I would try and hunt down some OEM 16/17 combo as the porsche wheels just look wrong on the NSX.

The centre console would be the next thing I would look at replacing, it just doesnt look a good fit at all and I cant tell from the photos but, is there a cut out for the cabin sensor? The sensor would be located just in front of the handbrake button when its in the full "down" position. If there isnt a cut out and the sensor doesnt get to "breath" this will affect the temperature setting for your interior heating/cooling.

Your coolant tank also looks to be quite old and I would have a think about getting a new one and if you have no history of coolant hose change thats also something I would add to the list.

Apart from the other bits you mentioned, good to see another JDM NSX in the club!

The mods that I know of are:

- Custom induction kits (pair) inside stock are box
- 8pot calipers front and rear, brembo rear handbrake in addition
- Porsche wheels (not sure which yet)
- Tein springs on stock dampers
- Carbon center console

Tokyo-Joe
03-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Hi Sudesh, thank you for your input, I love your refresh thread!

The console panel seems to fit really well and there is a breather hole opposite the handbrake (i was wondering what that was for). Maybe the pics are bad?

I spent Sunday with some friends detailing it and room some good pics so ill get those up when I'm next at my pc.

Thanks for the info on the rims, they are not ideal but they work in the metal and really are place holders until I have saved some money up and perhaps get some work vs or bbs lm but they will have to wait :)

Tokyo-Joe
08-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Hey guys,

I did my first proper mod today, I changed the facelift dual exhaust for a PRIDE V2 quad :)

The exhaust was such an easy job to do and the fit and finish on the new system was perfect. As an absolute result I discovered my car already has decats in place! Yay :)

I'm overjoyed with the sound, here is a quick flyby clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25awLYyM7WU

I'm hoping to get stuck into some of the annoying niggles over the next few weeks, e.g. my drivers head lining panel is sagging onto my head haha.

sigilobaphomet
09-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Hey guys,

I did my first proper mod today, I changed the facelift dual exhaust for a PRIDE V2 quad :)

The exhaust was such an easy job to do and the fit and finish on the new system was perfect. As an absolute result I discovered my car already has decats in place! Yay :)

I'm overjoyed with the sound, here is a quick flyby clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25awLYyM7WU

I'm hoping to get stuck into some of the annoying niggles over the next few weeks, e.g. my drivers head lining panel is sagging onto my head haha.

Sounds cool - ordered my Taitec GT Lightweight from SOS yesterday - 30 day wait :-( - will be worth it though