PDA

View Full Version : Roof off = flapping plastic

jpspringall
25-04-2011, 05:16 PM
With the weather being so nice over the weekend, i decided to take the roof off the NSX, great in theory not so great in practice.....

Got half way down the road and then the rear upper bulk head lining started flapping about. Number 10 on the link.

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SW001&block_02=B__3930&block_03=21789

On closer inspection, the middle of the three clips had snapped off -presuming i can fix this by getting a couple of 16s from the above link. But by far the bigger problem, is the fact that behind the driver, it's not fitting snuggly with the surrounding plastic, so it's sticking out a bit.

As far as i can tell the metal parts on the bottom are sliding over correctly, but for love or money i cant get it to pop into place.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similiar problem?

Cheers

James

Kaz-kzukNA1
26-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Hi, jpspringall.

Seems like any new posts in the Technical section won’t be listed in the ‘Recent Pots’ at the left side bar of the site home page so sometimes, it can take a while to notice the post.

It is very likely that all three clips were already damaged in the past.

If you can’t align the clip to the hole, it is bent.

Almost all of the UK based NSX that I looked at had more or less some damages to these clips.

They were either broken or bent.

I know the reason why the panel was removed and quite often, it was removed without any care and thus, easily damaged.

You must use both hands and first press the panel downwards and then pull towards you.

There should be a sharp pin at the left side (passenger side on RHD model) of the panel of which being used for the alignment.

You can get some image in the ‘Main Relay’ section of my ‘Technical and Service Information Index’ thread under the Technical section.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?8732-NSX-Technical-and-Service-Information-Index

Best to replace all three clips at the same time.

91560-SM4-003 for the earlier models and 91560-SL0-T00 for the later spec.

I don’t know the exact difference between the two (may be the material??).

You can get the aftermarket replacement one for the earlier models from US but if you need just three of them, may be not worth it.

Again, you can find the link to the US site in my above thread under ‘Clips and Fasteners, alternative to …’ originally introduced to NSXCB site by Sudesh.

If you look at the clip carefully, the actual ‘locking’ part is like a half moon shape.

Therefore, this clip is actually not tightly locking itself into the metal hole at the fire wall.

It is actually ‘hooked’ to the hole by the upwards pressure by the multiple metal spring at the lower part of this panel.

That’s why you must first press the panel downwards before removing it or installing it.

If you open the engine hatch glass and carefully look at where the clips are through the partition glass, it may help in installing the panel.

The key is to hold it down and then push in.

Good luck.

Kaz

jpspringall
26-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Cheers Kaz,

I'm pretty sure the clips were broken by Honda when i had the main relay replaced. As i didnt have the problem last summer before i had the relay placed.

As 'luck' would have it it's going back to [a different] Honda dealer to try resolve the alarm issue i've posted about before, so i'll take along a set of your instructions ask them to replace the clips at the same.

I presume that i want 91560-SM4-003, as mine is a '97 model?

Cheers

James

Kaz-kzukNA1
27-04-2011, 12:40 PM
For UK model, the changeover happened from 95 model (based on UK definition of year model) so for your NSX, it would be the SL0-T00 version.

On several occasions, I found that the so called 'year model' that the owner informed was not the same as the one based on the VIN so best to ask Honda to enter your VIN in the system and get the correct parts version.

Kaz

jpspringall
27-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Cheers,

I spoke my Honda dealer this afternoon, and the can order the parts, but they have an estimated delivery date of 8 July so will probably phone lings Honda tomorrow and see if they can get the parts any sooner.

Many thanks for your help.

James

NSXGB
28-04-2011, 08:38 AM
If you have trouble getting one, I found some in a scrap yard from a Civc, from the door card IIRC, that fitted correctly.

jpspringall
28-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Cheers NSXGB,

Phoned lings, but they didnt have any stock, so same delivery date of 8th July so off to a scrappie i go.

According to Lings they are called 'CLIP DOOR LINING' so that would make sense.

jpspringall
29-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Hi Kaz,

I just found your blog post to

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?164-Main-Relay

By the looks of it my alignment pin is just plain missing, so does this mean i need a whole new upper trim or is there a work around.

Also had a look on http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/default.asp, but couldnt find the replacement for 91560-SL0-T00, which according to lings is what i require.

Are the two different types different colours?

Cheers

James

Kaz-kzukNA1
01-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Hi, James.

Without the alignment pin, you may struggle to install the upper trim but no need to replace it with a new one.

As long as the clips are healthy, the trim will stay in place.

The photo in my Blog was showing and telling the owner of this NSX that it was using the wrong spec by someone worked on it in the past.

I was also interested in the difference between the original and later spec clips so I took my upper trim off and compared it with the later one.

My NSX is JDM 94 so it is still using the SM4-003 version and not the later spec SL0-T00 one.
(By the way, SM4-003 is now superseded to SL4-003 but I will refer it as SM4 to avoid confusion.)

9152 9153
Grey one is SM4 version and White one is the SL0 one.

Now I understood why Honda changed it to the later spec.

With the design of SM4 version, if the clip was not 100% perfectly aligned to the fixing hole, it will simply collapse when it was pressed hard from the back during the installation of trim.

With the SL0 version, Honda changed the shape of the clip to ‘half moon’ shape to allow stiffener stay inside the clip.

Still, it can be damaged/bent but better than the SM4 version.

Also, it improved the pointer section to assist the alignment of the clip to the hole.

Obviously, it is better to use SL0 version but how often do you remove this panel?

HUK sells SL0 version at GBP1.75+VAT Each.

From US, you can get 25 of aftermarket SM4 replacement at about US$8.

So, if you don’t remove the trim so often, probably best to use SL0 version.

Otherwise, use the aftermarket SM4 one from US and whenever it was damaged, just replace it with the spare in the bag.

Kaz

jpspringall
01-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks again Kaz,

I'm pretty sure from memory that the one that was snapped off was grey and the other 2 were white.

I've got the SL0 version on order from My local honda garage so will wait for those assuming that's what you mean by HUK?

I dont plan to take the trim off at all once i've got the alarm problem sorted.

James