PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

melinamotor
03-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Hello :)

I currently run a Civic R but have always hankered after a manual NSX. I need some advice on running costs, as me and the wife are expecting another baby.
The Civic plus her car are easily affordable at the moment and I will be able to stretch out a little further financially but not by a great margin.

Im aware clutches are expensive to replace but servicing seems to be more than reasonable. I also understand rear tyres are easily consumed, however I will only be clocking up 5000 miles a year as my company provide an eco friendly diesel for every day use :wink:

Also any advice on where to source a reasonable example for around 25-27k would be appreciated :?:

Thanks

TheQuietOne
03-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Hi,

I've just had a 36,000 mile service on mine at 23,500 and that cost £150 or so. Tyre wise I used 3mm of tread in 8,000 miles on the back, but that was driving fairly slowly, getting used to the cars limits etc over a 4 month period.

So far the car hasn't missed a beat, and is returning on average 28mpg too which is good. There are plenty of threads on here regarding clutch wear and other associated costs to long-term ownership, so I would recommend getting to know the search tool for each item you are concerned about.

Overall the NSX is costing me about the same in fuel as my CTR, similar amounts in tyre wear and about £200 more in finance a month. For the absolute gulf in pleasure it gives me I would say it is 100% worth the extra stretch (although I loved my Civic). This car makes you smile every time you get in....

My advise is find one to test drive, and then worry about the costs....if you can justify it go for it, I can't imagine anyone regretting it!

Matt.

melinamotor
04-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks Matt,

I will utilise the search facility as advised, I imagine my driving style will be rather sedate also after the initial purchase :)

Lee.

sportyking
04-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Having bought mine yesterday (still don't have it), all I can say is from a potential cost point of view it feels like a masive leap from owning a relatively normal car to buying a "supercar" but the more research I do, the less scary it becomes. Also with full Honda backed warranties available up to seven years old, it reduces the perceived risks considerably. I also see it as possibly cheaper because I spent thousands modding my S2000 to make it "better" but with the NSX, who am I to argue with Aryton Senna! The NSX will remain unmodded except for.... No, must resist. :D

ctrlaltdelboy
04-12-2005, 04:41 PM
...........The NSX will remain unmodded except for.... No, must resist. :D

until I take you out for a couple of laps in mine ;)

blue5
04-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Hello and welcome

Buy a good one, condition is everything.

My wife loves ours there is plenty of space in the boot (you could probably fit a child up to the age of 5 in it providing they were not too tall although it is probably a contravention of some stifling health and safety rule) Its also fairly air tight!

Servicing is inexpensive the most expensive being the cam belt and spark plugs at 60k, i think mine was £720 inc at Norton Way.

Tyres have come down in price and another owner Duncan has fitted some wider boots which look excellent.

You can get discount Honda parts from the USA, i bought a lambda sensor and it arrived within 4 days of placing the order.

Mechanically the nsx was designed to be robust.

Hope this inspires you, no one i have ever met has regretted their purchase.

sportyking
04-12-2005, 08:22 PM
until I take you out for a couple of laps in mine

That'll be Easter 06 at the Ring then :D

wgmr
05-12-2005, 02:22 PM
true the NSX is a cheap supercar to run, but, while I have not yet had a problem, be aware that it does have the potential to be v expensive. I have put in a new clutch at £1600 and each tyre costs about £100, you need a new pair each year if you use the stanard tyres. Oil change every 6 months is around a £100 and on it goes.

As per an ealier post Boot struts look set to cast me £200. I am also doing a respray of the whole thing for a further £4,000.

True, my car gets spoilt rotten, but it is not like servicing a fiesta!

melinamotor
19-12-2005, 03:02 PM
I have summed up the pro,s and con,s of ownership :roll:

Looks like July next year if being sensible, but definately still on the cards :wink:

Thanks for your candid answers on this subject, I know its a pain when some "newbie" comes on the site asking what are probably obvious questions.
Thanks again :)

Papalazarou
19-12-2005, 05:54 PM
I was pretty unlucky when I bought mine and I considered the torch or lake option, but because I expected the unexpected I engineered in a safety margin so if something did go wrong I had enough money to rectify it.
If you do get one though, don't panic if a warning light or two come on. From my limited experience and from trawling through NSXCB and Prime looking for a cure, it's very often a minor fault which has shut down two related systems.
For example; if the engine check light and the TCS light come on at the same time it might be an oxygen sensor, not a broken TCS unit! It's very rare that a car develops two problems at precisely the same time.
On the whole I am very happy with my NSX, I had a Boxster S before which is a very good car but the Honda feels special, outperforms the Porsche and sounds a whole lot better.

Cheers,

James.