PDA

View Full Version : Ayrton Senna Movie

unclebob
07-04-2011, 03:25 AM
Just been watching the new Senna movie, gave me a real buzz seeing the 'H" on the steering wheel he's fighting and powered by honda plastered on the side of the mp4, Honda, a world championship heritage that 99% of the population are ignorant of....the movie gives you a great insight into the character and theres even a glimpse of a red nsx however what really ticked me off was the final shot of the movie....Senna driving off in a ......PORSCHE! He owned 3 NSX's apparantly so IMHO the final shot should have been Senna in an NSX, after all it was Honda that powered him, SAFELY, to all his world championship wins with their superb engine and magnificent technical and engineering superiority, not porsche.

I've always hated how Honda is always sidelined and whenever mention is made of Senna and F1, its always Mclaren thats ostentatiously mentioned not Honda, just another example of the bigotry against the japanese motor industry by the western media. Makes me sick!

Geraint
07-04-2011, 06:32 AM
So, what did you think of the film? :dunno:

WhyOne?
07-04-2011, 07:59 AM
And breath!!!!

(At the risk of causing your blood pressure to rise further, I think Honda & Mr. Senna are generally well recognised in their successes together).

Justin
07-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Jwhat really ticked me off was the final shot of the movie....Senna driving off in a ......PORSCHE! He owned 3 NSX's apparantly so IMHO the final shot should have been Senna in an NSX, after all it was Honda that powered him, SAFELY, to all his world championship wins with their superb engine and magnificent technical and engineering superiority, not porsche.

Is this a biggy? Senna did drive porsches. Different matter if it was CGI (McQueen driving off in a Ford Puma) but it's just a fact.

There's a subjective editorial hand in play, of course, choosing the porsche shot. But there would have been an equally subjective editorial hand in play choosing an NSX shot.

I can't wait to see the film (tell us more about it!), but I'm fairly indifferent about whether the NSX features or not. Maybe just me though :rolleyes:

nobby
07-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Japanese cars will always be looked down upon in relation to Euro cars etc ... just accept it; used to annoy me but now it does not. If people are happy to act like sheep when it comes to beamers, audi's etc let them. at the end of the day they are missing out not us.

disappointing to hear there is not more the NSX but then again it does not surprise me ... I guess Porsche was happy to fire a few bob into the marketing kitty to get a shot in!

looking forward to seeing this meself ... not overly familiar with the man, so will be a good history lesson for me and when F1 was actually a race not like the precession it is now

just another example of the bigotry against the japanese motor industry by the western media. Makes me sick!

AR
07-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Guys when I think Senna and cars I think Mercedes:

Ignoring the Audi connection etc.

havoc
07-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Guys when I think Senna and cars I think Mercedes:

:D

When someone mentions Senna and Merc together I think of a certain race at the Nordschleife where Mr Senna was substituted in at the last minute and proceeded to show up a fair number of then-current F1 drivers!

TheSebringOne
12-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Sorry, I'm a bit late on this! I assume its on general release in the UK now?

havoc
13-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Early June, I believe.

Ewan
05-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Went to see it last night, and it's very worthwhile - worth getting hold of on DVD when it comes out! The treatment of Senna is a little sycophantic (somewhat understandably, given that there's no narrative to provide a counter argument to what he's saying and it's edited to look like his side of the argument is correct... eg pantomime baddies Jean-Marie Balestre & Alain Prost). I wasn't a hardcore fan of either Senna or F1 at the time, so did learn quite a bit about not only the history of the man but some specifics around the races of the day, and the bitter rivalry with Prost.

I didn't realise the NSX was used as a safety car in F1 until seeing one in the film!

simonprelude
05-06-2011, 11:22 AM
his side of the argument is correct...

It always was wasn't it..............?

WhyOne?
05-06-2011, 12:34 PM
....The treatment of Senna is a little sycophantic (somewhat understandably, given that there's no narrative to provide a counter argument to what he's saying and it's edited to look like his side of the argument is correct...!

Also, his family vetoed some material....

jaytip
08-06-2011, 09:30 PM
disappointing to hear there is not more the NSX but then again it does not surprise me ... I guess Porsche was happy to fire a few bob into the marketing kitty to get a shot in!

not overly familiar with the man, so will be a good history lesson for me and when[U] F1 was actually a race not like the precession it is now[/I]
I have to assume you havn't been watching F1 this year then.

WhyOne?
09-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Very true....anything but at procession at the moment.

I am thoroughly enjoying the races at the moment but there is a small 'purist' part of me which nags away saying 'its artificial'.

AR
09-06-2011, 10:48 AM
It left out many good things he did as well, not only as driver but as a human.

I enjoyed this book:

AR
09-06-2011, 11:25 AM
This is a fantastic interview, but is in portuguese, but still captures the human side of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfEWqjqRdN8

This should have gotten more than just a bit at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qqlqpyiys0&feature=related

And how they miussed this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPUvvbfHc1E&feature=related

gumball
11-06-2011, 08:53 AM
I watched this last night.
After the reviews, hype and effusive tweets from Chris Evans claiming it to be the 'best racing movie ever' I expected more, they seem to have tried to put as much 'never before seen footage' in as possible, but much of it was clear to see why it was left out. Although the briefings were interesting and sometimes funny, I still prefer 'Racing is in my blood' maybe partly due to it being made before his death (I still feel uncomfortable seeing Ayrton in a Rothmans racing suit).
As they concentrated so much on Ayrton's feud with Alain I was surprised they left out his 'olive branch' message to Alain over the car radio.
It is probably aimed at a mainstream non F1 fan audience, but it would have also been nice to see his legendary attention to detail in engineering/diagnosing the car.
Still, the best parts are his driving at the wheel, which I enjoyed immensely again. :)

TheSebringOne
12-06-2011, 02:29 AM
I can't wait to see the film this week.

Agree with Ary, that book is a really great read!

NSX-FAN
18-06-2011, 05:01 PM
The book is brilliant, seeing the film tomorrow and can not wait, will probably shed a tear as well.