PDA

View Full Version : Earliest realistic age for purchase (Insurance wise)

Unregistered
26-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Hey,

What would you say would be the earliest age i could realistically think of purchasing an NSX with the insurance companies pulling my pants down?

Cheers

Dave J
27-03-2011, 08:31 AM
It would depend on your wallet / dads wallet, i dare say 30 would be ideal but i'm sure you'd get cover over 21 but it'd cost a fair few pennies!

m666 edd
27-03-2011, 08:42 AM
25 shouldn't be a problem (assuming you've got at least 3-4 years no claims). Although your location might be a problem.

The nsx insurance seems to be cheaper than a lot of other insurance group 20 cars. Maybe because the car is out of reach price wise of a lot of younger people I dunno.

jpspringall
28-03-2011, 09:55 AM
My insurance at 30 is £650 with 7 years no claims for the year with 10K mileage allowance, which was about my Hyundai Coupe V6

It was a fair bit higher about 1.2K when i was 28, but you can get it quite a bit lower if you limit the mileage

James

Nick Graves
28-03-2011, 06:25 PM
If you can afford the running cost, you can afford the insurance.

Compared to say, an S2000, the insurance is very very good.

I'd say that probably driving experience is a more important consideration; we've had a few pranged recently and there ain't many left.

Not that it's especially tricky, it's just mid-engined GT cars have certain 'characteristics' and it's quite quick.

Of course, the S2000 is much more of a handful relative to its affordability, which is why the insurance is so expensive...

Unregistered
29-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Well it's just this summer hopefully i should be earning a fair bit of cash and was thinking of moving to America but i'm thinking of putting them plans on hold purely for the thrill of having an NSX for a few months and then hopping over. I am only 21 though with 3 years NCB (Have no claims) so i guess ill just phone around a bit and see what my realistic chances are.

Unregistered
29-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Well looking up quotes now on Compare the market i have been quoted around £3k and these are normally inflated a bit, does this sound right? :s

jpspringall
29-03-2011, 07:17 PM
If it is then I'm in for a hell of a shock in july

My quote was with lancaster if that helps.

James

Gamble
29-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Baring in mind im 9 years younger with 4 years less NCB :p

I thought it was fairly reasonable for me i would cry tears of joy if i could get it anywhere close to £2k :p

Hagasan
29-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Well looking up quotes now on Compare the market i have been quoted around £3k and these are normally inflated a bit, does this sound right? :s

Hi,

if you're only planning on a few months use in the summer before leaving the lovely UK shores then I'd suggest contacting Competition Car Insurance. All age dependant of course as I don't know the criteria for a limited mileage policy.....however, if you're eligible at your age then just put it on one of those as the slightly restrictive mileage shouldn't be as much a problem in the short term.

Quite a few members on here are insured through them as well as myself...

when I was 21/22 I had a Supra then a Porsche 944. Insurance back then was about £1500 for the year and I had to pay monthly....

Gamble
29-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Ah wow thanks ill bare all that in mind when i take the leap :D

Justin
30-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Good luck! Admiral can sometimes be surprisingly good, and comp sites can throw out the odd bit of value (though check for a solid underwriter).

Also, remember that if it's a second car you need a second NCB :(

My advice - go for it if you can. The way petrol is heading, delaying your ownership is a false economy!!!

DAVEMAT
31-03-2011, 01:49 AM
If your looking at one that's more than 15 years old, get some quotes from Classic sites

Nick Graves
31-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Also, talk to a real underwriter with some hope of a brain.

Someone young was once quoted over ten large(!) on an S2000 by a computer-says-no on one of those useless automated websites.

WhyOne?
31-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Not a wholly unreasonable quote for a recently qualified 17-year old setting forth in an S2000!

Remember, the risk being insured is the mayhem, carnage & chaos that can be caused rather than the value of the car in question (which at 17 tends not to be a factor as most policies are third party fire & theft).

dan the man
31-03-2011, 04:06 PM
I was 26 i think when i got mine... i paid 850 if i remember rightly. The only reason i got an NSX was i was looking at S2000s and the insurance was a GRAND more!

This was 4 yrs ago mind...