PDA

View Full Version : Light bulbs.

jaffaz32
22-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I feel such a twit asking this possibly the most daft question.

I have checked my service manual, i have searched the web but all the info i find is very vague.

From what i have found it is miss leading, my brake bulbs and rear light bulbs look different.

What bulbs do our cars take? Are the brake and rear lights the same type bulb connectors? but i just have different style bulbs fitted? Guessing one might be a higher power.

I could look in a store like halfords in their bulb reference books, but i don't know how accurate they would be.

UK car, 1997.

Thanks.

L696ULO
22-03-2011, 01:02 PM
The brake light bulbs are 21 watt and the normal light bulbs are 5 watt. The brake light will be brighter. From memory the bulbs are the same connector.

nobby
22-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Check out/do a search on Kaz's Health Check and Sudesh's Refresh threads in the Technical section. there is information there relating to lights bulbs etc

:)

Kaz-kzukNA1
23-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Not sure exactly what you want to achieve but I presume you want to replace the light bulbs in the tail light, add extra socket to modify the tail light assy or something else.

Sounded like you already removed the boot carpet but if not, it is best to check that you really have the UK spec tail light assy and it is not being modified already.

You can just remove the small clips towards the upper part of the boot carpet behind the light assy and you have full access to the light bulbs and the sockets presuming you have access to your NSX.

I’m not great fan of using the numerical bulb/socket type spec as it is not the same between the countries so it is best to take your existing bulbs out and use them as the reference for the bulb/socket type.

Your existing light bulbs may have the wrong wattage by the previous owner.

For UK spec, EACH light assy will have the following light bulbs;

12V 10W x 1: Not sure the exact wording for this… small-, position-, tail-, etc-, light

12V 21W x 3: Brake x 1, Indicator x 1, Backup(Reverse) or Rear Fog x 1

You can check most of the things (but without the parts number) by visiting the Lings Honda Parts website.

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_catalogue_C01.php

Link to Lings Honda is also included in my ‘NSX Technical and Service Information Index’ under the Technical section.

Kaz

jaffaz32
23-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the info.

that is a great link!

pump in my postcode and there comes all the details for my car. Awesome!

I think someone in the past have put in the wrong bulbs as they are not that bright during the day. I was going to order some off the web, maybe try some LED bulbs but i need to know the connector type. thanks.

Nick Graves
23-03-2011, 07:38 PM
I wonder if the darker lenses require 10w tail lights, whereas the red ones require 5w? Mine take 10w, according to Lings.

There should be a rating on the bulb.

Many LEDs are a bit weak, so be warned.

m666 edd
23-03-2011, 08:48 PM
I recently bought:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Motorcycle-Bike-BA15S-Light-Bulb-Warm-White-12V-10W_W0QQitemZ280645069454QQcategoryZ9946QQcmdZView ItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu %3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D79 46474582064059055

I've had a rear light out for quite a while but couldn't bring myself to buy 1 bulb for a quid or whatever it might be at the local garage :laugh: