PDA

View Full Version : Power Transistor

duncan
19-03-2011, 09:23 PM
As a consequence of my own abortive attempts to repair my CCU board I managed to end up with a blower fan that only worked on the high speed setting.
The cause of this is 95% the CCU failure and 5% the failure of the power transistor that regulates the lower speeds.
The power transistor was subject to a technical advice note in the US, see PDF attached and can be seen in the posts by Sudesh post No15 onwards

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?7472-Climate-Control-Issues/page2&highlight=power+transistor

The transistor, heatsink lead and plug is some £323.05 + VAT from HUK.

The transistor itself is a Toshiba 2SD1460 and is I believe obsolete; review of the internet reveals similar transistors appear to have used for the same purpose in Rover 800 Sterlings, Ford Probes and their Mazda equivalents and maybe Disco 2's with similar failures.

My own CCU has been repaired [thanks Briank] and my blower motor now runs on all its settings [hence power transistor is OK]; but as an insurance policy to guarantee that it will never fail a replacement NOS transistor now rests on shelf, acquired from www.mark5.co.uk [023 9225 7492] for the princely sum of £12.95 delivered.

£12.95-v-£387.66 = no brainer

Sudesh
19-03-2011, 09:36 PM
WOW sounds like a great find Duncan! Have you any pics of the one you purchased so I can see a comparison?

As a consequence of my own abortive attempts to repair my CCU board I managed to end up with a blower fan that only worked on the high speed setting.
The cause of this is 95% the CCU failure and 5% the failure of the power transistor that regulates the lower speeds.
The power transistor was subject to a technical advice note in the US, see PDF attached and can be seen in the posts by Sudesh post No15 onwards

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?7472-Climate-Control-Issues/page2&highlight=power+transistor

The transistor, heatsink lead and plug is some £323.05 + VAT from HUK.

The transistor itself is a Toshiba 2SD1460 and is I believe obsolete; review of the internet reveals similar transistors appear to have used for the same purpose in Rover 800 Sterlings, Ford Probes and their Mazda equivalents and maybe Disco 2's with similar failures.

My own CCU has been repaired [thanks Briank] and my blower motor now runs on all its settings [hence power transistor is OK]; but as an insurance policy to guarantee that it will never fail a replacement NOS transistor now rests on shelf, acquired from www.mark5.co.uk [023 9225 7492] for the princely sum of £12.95 delivered.

£12.95-v-£387.66 = no brainer

duncan
19-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Done, still in plastic bag, 4mm mounting holes 30mm between centres, 19.5mm diameter of case, 9-10mm overall depth including mounting plate, quoted by supplier as NPN 100v 30amp.

PS the people at mark5 were humans and very easy to deal with [given the size of my order].

Sudesh
19-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Done, still in plastic bag, 4mm mounting holes 30mm between centres, 19.5mm diameter of case, 9-10mm overall depth including mounting plate, quoted by supplier as NPN 100v 30amp.

PS the people at mark5 were humans and very easy to deal with [given the size of my order].

Really good info Duncan, I have 2 dodgy transistors that I was planning of working on and testing, I think I will try your solution and see what the out come is as this could be a great mod and money saver for other owners down the line.

Thanks again for the info.

nobby
19-03-2011, 10:36 PM
excellent post! :)

could well save a few owners a bit of cash for sure.