PDA

View Full Version : Idle / tickover problem

Greybloke
26-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Just posted this over on Prime, as there has been some discussion on the issue, but incase you dont visit them very often I 'll post it here as well:

"Last week my 91 3.0 man started to idle slightly higher than normal. Over the following days the idle increased slightly with every journey. It's now ticking over at a steady 2,500 rpm I've checked for obvious things, although I'm not too mechanicly minded. The problem changes if whilst stationry I blip the throttle, it will now "pulse" with revs rising and faling between a range of between 1,500 and 2,200rpm???

Anyway It's almost undrivable, especially in town, and it's booked into my Honda dealer on Monday ( It was booked in for a service anyway) so hopefully they will be able to isolate, and fix the problem. I was just wondering if you guys have experienced this one, and what you would guess is the fix?

Should I open a book on this one, any takers

Answers hopefully after Monday"

simonprelude
26-11-2005, 10:57 PM
MAP / TPS sensor by the sounds of it.

Greybloke
26-11-2005, 11:01 PM
MAP / TPS sensor by the sounds of it.

Is that the one on the S2000 wher the fix is to "bash it with a hammer" :lol:

UltraViolet
26-11-2005, 11:45 PM
It could possibly be the idle valve sticking. It could also be head gasket (hope not) but in fairness - idle control valve is more likely and I'd get this checked first.

If you had done anything to change it - hunting idle can also be caused by a throttle body problem such as the butterfly not closing fully and allowing air in when should be closed. Assuming nothing been done here though, I guess not the case here (unless seriously carboned up)

Jim
26-11-2005, 11:53 PM
It is worth going onto NSXprime and read the items related to cleaning the throttle body. I had the same problem with my 91' and resolved it in 30 minutes for £2.99 with a can of cleaner.

I had take the car to the Honda dealer the week before without them being able to fix the problem and telling me I had air escaping that was the problem.

Hope things workout for you.

Greybloke
28-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Apparently its the inlet manifold gasget :shock:

Why would this fail anyway?

Bit hacked off as it's not covered by my warranty :twisted: Maybe a Honda goodwill contribution, please, please nicely Mr Honda :lol:

Greybloke
29-11-2005, 07:39 PM
All sorted, new gaskets fitted, fully serviced, lovely :D

Just a lerge invoice :shock:

Seriously I really missed the car over the last 2 days, even though I did have the dealer jazzzzzz to zip around :wink: