PDA

View Full Version : Help please - i have 50k to spend and I'm thinking NSX...

jstraw
26-11-2005, 05:06 PM
I sold my beloved S2000 in April and now have a bigger budget for a new toy.

I drove the NSX and loved it (that noise!). given Honda are so reliable I'm not really concerned about age or mileage so some questions:

1) Is the new model better than the old (ie the new model with the non pop up headlamps)

2) Is the type R worth the extra dosh?

3) Would I be better selling my wife on ebay and using the extra funds to buy a second hand Vanquish/Gallardo/360?

yours truly....

Papalazarou
26-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi,

I think you have to ask yourself whether you still drive your wife regularly? If the answer is no, then you might consider selling her on E-Bay.

Cheers,

James.

jstraw
26-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Oh yes her performance is truly excellent. Servicing costs are rather high but she's a really screamer on the limit :-)

Hi,

I think you have to ask yourself whether you still drive your wife regularly? If the answer is no, then you might consider selling her on E-Bay.

Cheers,

James.

qureshia
26-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Hi j straw

What car next ? – always a great debate

I would say all depends on how you are going to use the car and if you can live with 2 seats or not?

As an everyday supercar I think you cant beat a new shape NSX- which are absolutely great value at the moment – My friend (he posts on here as Senna786) recently bought a new shape with less than 2.5k miles for very early £40’S

Me I need an occasional 4 seater and therefore I have a 997 c2s.

The NSX drives better than the 997 – it has a more stable and settled front end which gives you the confidence to press on a little bit harder on fast b roads however overall I would say it is a little slower and has a lot less toys/modern feel inside than my car.

However it (NSX) looks fantastic and generates great amounts of positive attention where ever it goes, which is not the case for the Porsche.

My experience of NSX ownership was all positive, the only downside (for me) was the 6k miles service intervals (I had ‘96 car) Which meant with the levels of mileage I did the car was in for service every 4 months.

If you don’t need an everyday car or 4 seats perhaps a Noble or a Ferrari 355?

Cheers

Ps last piece of advice don’t buy a new one – The deprecation is horrific as demonstrated by the NSX example above – lost about £1000 a month or £1 a mile !!!! ….or in my case £1300 a month or 70p a mile

All this talking about different cars has got me thinking, perhaps it is time for a change …anyone got a copy of Top marques

8)

jstraw
26-11-2005, 06:28 PM
no doubt the best sports car in the world. drove one. loved it.

But they've buggered up the brand. My best mate has a GT3 and people just hate him for it (British disease?). try getting out of a side road in London in a 911...try NOT getting out of side road in an Aston...

ho hum. really worried about running costs on any Ferrari. Lambo's now have VW quality control...

Hi j straw

What car next ? – always a great debate

I would say all depends on how you are going to use the car and if you can live with 2 seats or not?

As an everyday supercar I think you cant beat a new shape NSX- which are absolutely great value at the moment – My friend (he posts on here as Senna786) recently bought a new shape with less than 2.5k miles for very early £40’S

Me I need an occasional 4 seater and therefore I have a 997 c2s.

The NSX drives better than the 997 – it has a more stable and settled front end which gives you the confidence to press on a little bit harder on fast b roads however overall I would say it is a little slower and has a lot less toys/modern feel inside than my car.

However it (NSX) looks fantastic and generates great amounts of positive attention where ever it goes, which is not the case for the Porsche.

My experience of NSX ownership was all positive, the only downside (for me) was the 6k miles service intervals (I had ‘96 car) Which meant with the levels of mileage I did the car was in for service every 4 months.

If you don’t need an everyday car or 4 seats perhaps a Noble or a Ferrari 355?

Cheers

Ps last piece of advice don’t buy a new one – The deprecation is horrific as demonstrated by the NSX example above – lost about £1000 a month or £1 a mile !!!! ….or in my case £1300 a month or 70p a mile

All this talking about different cars has got me thinking, perhaps it is time for a change …anyone got a copy of Top marques

8)

Greybloke
26-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Hi mate

I "upgraded" from a S2000 and have never looked back. I was concerned I would miss the open top motoring ( so long as it was not raining when I started my journey, the roof would be down :shock: ) but I've just acepted the tin top, and revelled in the additional attributes the NSX offers. Although the S is a manic drive 8) the NSX is in a different league so much more grip, and very neutral handling and ultimately quicker. On the minus side the brakes on mine, an early one, are nowhere as effective as the S, although perhaps it's just my car?

I think the 3.2 s a little quicker, and has the benefit of a 6 speed box, although it has additional weight due to cats, additional airbag etc. If your budget allows, I would advise you go for condition and history, rather than age. Ultimately it also depends if you like the fixed light facelift of the more recent cars ( I dislike them :? but each to their own) Another consideration for resale time is that T top's and auto's appear less popular.

Oh you wont get a type R :roll: I understand there's only one in the UK, but others may know otherwise.

Good luck in your search, they are fantastic, practical, and an understated supercar. You will be buying something quite unique, and now out of production. The S was good ( I had 2 over four years and never thought I'd find a more rewarding car) but the NSX is superior for me.

Good luck.

jstraw
26-11-2005, 07:10 PM
ah a Duke owner. that's class.

am with you on the S...doing donughts on a Welsh beach was just simply amazing...but then so was NSX I test drove.

thanks for the advice. I'm getting there.

But then there is the Gallardo...

Hi mate

I "upgraded" from a S2000 and have never looked back. I was concerned I would miss the open top motoring ( so long as it was not raining when I started my journey, the roof would be down :shock: ) but I've just acepted the tin top, and revelled in the additional attributes the NSX offers. Although the S is a manic drive 8) the NSX is in a different league so much more grip, and very neutral handling and ultimately quicker. On the minus side the brakes on mine, an early one, are nowhere as effective as the S, although perhaps it's just my car?

I think the 3.2 s a little quicker, and has the benefit of a 6 speed box, although it has additional weight due to cats, additional airbag etc. If your budget allows, I would advise you go for condition and history, rather than age. Ultimately it also depends if you like the fixed light facelift of the more recent cars ( I dislike them :? but each to their own) Another consideration for resale time is that T top's and auto's appear less popular.

Oh you wont get a type R :roll: I understand there's only one in the UK, but others may know otherwise.

Good luck in your search, they are fantastic, practical, and an understated supercar. You will be buying something quite unique, and now out of production. The S was good ( I had 2 over

four years and never thought I'd find a more rewarding car) but the NSX is superior for me.

Good luck.

jaytip
26-11-2005, 10:12 PM

not for 50k there isn't.
Greybloke,you are forgetting the NA1 Type-R that is for sale on this board.That one is well within budget.
Good luck in whatever you decide to get.

simonprelude
26-11-2005, 11:00 PM
I would seriously look at the NSX-R if I was you, that is a seriously nice car and now at a VERY good price.

You will need to double your budget for a Gallardo and nearly tripple it for a Murcielago (what I am currently looking at).

not for 50k there isn't.
Greybloke,you are forgetting the NA1 Type-R that is for sale on this board.That one is well within budget.
Good luck in whatever you decide to get.

swlabhot
28-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Hmmm yeah been thinking about the Gallardo too but your looking at over the £90k mark for a used one...

It was quite satisfying to me when a Mucielago pulled up next to me, rolled down his blacked out windows and asked me what is it, how fast is it and then gave me the thumbs up! :shock: :D

stats007
29-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi all - another noob and am thinking of swapping my '99 SL500 for a '99 NSX coupe. Any advice?

jstraw
29-11-2005, 10:51 AM
I also had a SL500 (the square shape model not the new one). i have only test driven an nsx but they are totally different cars. SL500 is a great touring car. The NSX is proper job sports car. And the engine noise in spine tingling :-)

stats007
29-11-2005, 11:06 AM
The square shape is an R129 - new model R230. I had a Cerbera 4.5 - I like to change now and again! I do like V8s though and was thinking a Maserati 4200 GTM or an E39 BMW M5 - the NSX is something I've always admired and would probably only keep one for a year if I did buy it.

Rob_Fenn
29-11-2005, 11:52 AM
I would like that Type R for sale but you do have to remember it really is a no frills car, you couldn't really use it every day. It is missing underseal so you'd have to treat it quite often, and doesn't it do away with central locking etc?

The Type R NA2 suspension on our car was very stiff, you'd get a bit annoyed on long journeys i'd expect.

Anyway, i appreciate you lose the kudos of having a Type R but you can buy a normal NSX for £16k and make it much better than a Type R with the extra £18k.

-Rob

TheQuietOne
29-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Not sure but I see Ian in the Type-R a lot. I think it is livable with on a daily basis, and it really does look stunning on the road! There is a big difference with those on the board who want to mod the NSX and those who don't, I love the way mine is, as it is, and I think the fact that I have no intention of tracking it is the reason. Even with £18K to spend personally I would rather snap up a truly unique Honda modded NSX than go through the process of doing it myself.

Might be rambling, but the point is, if you don't want to do work on a car / or entrust it to someone else, it is better to get the best possible factory car you can, and that Type-R has got to be one of them!

Hope you get to experience the joy of NSX ownership in the near future!!

Matt.