PDA

View Full Version : Am I being too picky, regarding car condition?

sportyking
26-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Help please.

I have just been to look at a 2 owner (Honda +1) fixed light 02 (RE 02 KNO) in Yeomans Honda (reduced from 40k to 37.5k), and came away without even unlocking it as I was put off by a few points.
Having spoken to the salesman, I am wondering if I am being unrealistic.

Things that put me off were:
Brand new, cheap, mixed tyre brands. Federal rear, Cooper front.
Evidence of painting on n/s door, a thumbnail shaped ridge of paint on the passenger door just below the trim. No repairs were confirmed/denied by the dealer.
Also the glossy plastic door trim was badly scratched.
Heavily worn drivers bolster, both on the inside and outside edges. The car had done 34.5k and was sat next to a silver with 19k and immaculate bolsters.
Wiper blades paint peeling and drvers had no deflector fitted.
Rear lights full of condensation.
some very faint long scratches down n/s
some very small spots around rear lights where laquer was breaking away.
Suspiciously few front end stone chips but plenty down the sides.
poorly fitted trim where the drivers door meets the window.
Wheels had been touched up all over the place.
I gather the finish on the forged wheels is not that good anyway.
This and a couple of other minor things added up for me, to a car that hasn't been cared for (and a previous owner in the motor trade, so no excuse) .

But are my expectations too high for a 3.5 year old car with 34.5k on it?
All this can be put right, but I would still be buying a car that hadn't in my eyes,been given the respect it deserves.

I also noted that it had little alarm sensors fitted to the dash, which none of the other fixed light models have. I was under the impression the alarm was a standard fit on the latest cars, anyone know if this is true?

Ritchie

jaytip
26-11-2005, 12:45 PM
I have to agree with you,the car does sound as if it hasn't been looked after.My mate bought a 2001 M3 convertible about a year ago and it was absolutely flawless.It sounds to me That Brownbear(Joe) car would be a much better buy. It's cheaper,lower milage,and in better nick.It's a 3.0l though,not a 3.2

ctrlaltdelboy
26-11-2005, 01:32 PM
sounds like you did the right thing in walking away from that one Ritchie

what about the blue one in the for sale section?

simonprelude
26-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Walk away, there are 10+ year old ones out there in better condition with fewer miles on them :)

sportyking
26-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Guys, thanks you have made me feel better about it.
Darren, if you mean Y1NSX, I am one of three people after it but it looks like I have the best chance as my P/ex is more conventional for a Honda dealer to accept. One guy has a 130k (miles) 1991 NSX with money owing and the other has an old 911, both of which are hard to value and would not go on their forecourt, so no profit in them.

Simon it's not ruled out :)

sportyking
29-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Well I never,
flicking through some car mags on a table yesterday evening and in Augusts CAR magazine, there is this same NSX (RE 02 KNO) in an article about the virtues of the NSX and piccies of this car tanking around a test track. No wonder it looks unloved, probably the Honda press car for the new fixed light model :x

TheQuietOne
29-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi,

I agree with everyone, I bought at 2000 (pop-up lights though) 3.2 from a Honda dealer back in June. It had 13,000 miles on it and apart from about 3 very small things, such as a small section of thread undone on interior handbreak section, it was immaculate. Since then I have put on another 9,000 miles but apart from two new stone chips to the bonnet it still looks perfect. There is no reason why these cars can't look magnificent 5, 10 or 15 years down the line if looked after properly, even when driven properly!

I absolutely love Y1 NSX, and if you get it my best mate will be pretty gutted, as he was hoping for it in the new year when his AMV8 has been and gone!

Anyway, when you find one worth of a drive, enjoy!!

Matt.

Clive
29-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Yes, RE02KNO was the press car for 2002. It was also in EVO No.77 being thraped around North Wales (in the winter). You may have to wait a bit to find the car you want, and change your ideal spec, but you will find a good NSX out there. I wanted another 3.2 pop-up lights model (and not red) but ended up with a 3.0 of 1996 vintage (in red), but which was (and is) effectively brand new (with 8k miles on it when I got it).

Clive

ps saw the NSX article in Autocar today - we own a legend!

simonprelude
29-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Well the Honda press car for the 3.2 launch is very loved and the condition of the car shows how much time and money Honda themselves spent on the car :)

Well I never,
flicking through some car mags on a table yesterday evening and in Augusts CAR magazine, there is this same NSX (RE 02 KNO) in an article about the virtues of the NSX and piccies of this car tanking around a test track. No wonder it looks unloved, probably the Honda press car for the new fixed light model :x

sportyking
30-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Guys, I've taken the plunge and put my deposit on Y1 NSX.
Not seen the car yet but after the favourable comments about it on here, I sent a very savvy (and picky) mate to take a look at it as he was only 40 miles away. He knows diddly about NSX's but knows an immaculate car when he sees it and the things he found had already been organised to be put right. A number of people have been sniffing around it so appears to be a good car at a good price (for a dealer), and deep down I wanted those pop-up lights.

So hopefully, barring some disaster, Y1 NSX will be Ritchie's car in a week or two.
Will I miss the S2000, which is my second and the best car I have owned..... Not one jot if there is an NSX in the stable :lol:

ctrlaltdelboy
01-12-2005, 12:19 AM
good news Ritchie!

make sure you get used to it and build your confidence so that you can keep up with me round the ring at Easter ;)

simonprelude
01-12-2005, 08:14 AM
I would look at the extended warranty and build that into your budget if you don't aready have it.

Mine has more than paid for itself, a few niggly things that didn't need doing but I want it to stay perfect :)

Congratulations, looks a good car and a very nice colour.

AR
01-12-2005, 10:33 AM
So hopefully, barring some disaster, Y1 NSX will be Ritchie's car in a week or two.

Congratulations, a warning, if you are anything like the majority of us, then this is just the begining.

Cheers

AR

Darren
01-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Congratulations !

Please look after her - she was my pride and joy!! - if you want any questions answered I will try my best to let you know

By the way I have a spare copy of Septembers Top gear magazine she was featured in - send me an e-mail to
darren.lomas5@btinternet.com with your address and I will post it to you if you are interested

Best of luck and I hope you will enjoy her as much as I did
Cheers
Darren

sportyking
01-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Hi Darren,
It's a shame I never found your car until it hit the dealer network, but even though these are very reliable it is useful to have a Honda dealer warranty.

Many thanks for the offer I will e-mail you my address from my home account at the weekend (probably with loads of questions).

I am going to look at it either tomorrow night or Saturday morning, is there anything I should look at that i may be able to get sorted at the dealers expense, such as brake pads, what have you?
The tiny ding in the door, stone chip and wheel scuff is being sorted today.

I promise to take care of it/her/him (judgement reserved until I have a drive) and maybe meet up with you some time.

Other Darren (CtrlAlt.....)
The Ring in April, suddenly I can't wait :D

Greybloke
01-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Sportyking, well done. If you buy it you wont look back to the S

I too had two S2000's and have honestly not missed it once. I never thought I would find a car more rewarding than the S.......wrong :lol:

Keep us up to date, and photos when you buy.