PDA

View Full Version : Condensation in light units

simonprelude
24-11-2005, 05:28 PM
OK as mentioned in Nigel's topic, which I don't wish to hijack I have had my rear light unit replaced under warranty.

This is an extended warranty on a fully (over) serviced 97 3.2

OK I don't find it acceptable to have 1 light unit with heavy condensation in it, my opinion is that it makes it look cheap and tacky, so with having a warranty I approached a Honda dealer re this. After checking service history etc this was cleared for replacement by Honda.

So some may say this is only a bit of condensation, they all do that etc etc.

This should be a factory sealed unit and no water should get in there, water in any electrical circuit is a big no no to me, and as it is only happening on one side I can't see this just being one of those things.

My advice, if you have the warranty try it, if not I wouldn't get the warranty just to have your lights replaced.

AR
24-11-2005, 07:54 PM
How much was the warranty? BTW this is real defect on all NSX a search on Prime will show you that it is common even on 02 plus models.

I took both rear ones and the center bit out and can tell you that after I drilled some small holes, that are invisible unless you take the lights out and sealed the top of the unit, it is for the most part gone.

I plan on replacing mine with 02 plus units, but until then this will do.

BTW when you look at the unit you can see that the condensation is not on the actual bulbds area, but on the outside cover.

Cheers

AR

simonprelude
24-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Warranty came with the car so I don't know, they are not cheap, certainly not on an 8 year old car :(

swlabhot
25-11-2005, 04:02 PM
I am not actually only thinking of buying the warranty solely just so I can have the tails replaced but also for peace of mind knowing that I got everything covered and this would be the opportune moment to do it.

simonprelude
25-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Seems a good idea then, all claims on mine (by me and previous owner) have been honoured, more than £3k worth of work easily.

I am not actually only thinking of buying the warranty solely just so I can have the tails replaced but also for peace of mind knowing that I got everything covered and this would be the opportune moment to do it.