PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Imola Orange Pearl flip lights NSX on PH

sutats
18-02-2011, 06:19 AM
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2520791.htm

23k miles. £39k.

No pics on ad but it's a pretty good chance it's the same car that was advertised last February (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?8476-2001-Imola-Orange-3.2l-%28flip-lights%29-on-PH&highlight=).

What a difference 3 months makes; +£8k to asking price.

havoc
18-02-2011, 09:00 AM
That's gotta be optimistic - yes it's a (rare) 3.2 with pop-ups, but you could get a good '54 for that money.

Also don't like the way the ad is written:-
- (very) short on detail
- no photos
- "sort after" (sic) (FFS, use a spell-checker)

WhyOne?
18-02-2011, 10:01 AM
That's gotta be optimistic - yes it's a (rare) 3.2 with pop-ups, but you could get a good '54 for that money.

Also don't like the way the ad is written:-
- (very) short on detail
- no photos
- "sort after" (sic) (FFS, use a spell-checker)

Agree pricing is optimistic and the ad poorly written (seems to be the current trend!)

However, using a spell checker would not have helped the vendor in this instance.

havoc
18-02-2011, 01:14 PM
D'oh! :(

OK, maybe he can use some of the profit from selling the NSX to get English lessons! ;)

Papalazarou
18-02-2011, 01:17 PM
That car was offered to me when I was looking. Didn't view because of the price. Spoke to the owner though, seemed like a nice guy. He also had an R8.
I've said it before, there are so few cars, it makes pricing very difficult. However, I would agree with other
Posters, that's too much. At the moment?!
I gusss as stated by other posters, the recent NSX media exposure has changed peoples perception of value, but with little or no structure we're now seeing disproportionate increases by some private owners and speculators.
IMO this started with cars like Bazs 03 facelift, bought by a speculator who then appeared to sell at a profit.
I think that because many of us have been following prices for years, we have a rigid preconceived idea of what these cars are actually worth.
If we take the IOP, three years ago a similar car was selling for high £20s to low £30s. There have been peaks and troughs in the market. A couple of years ago there were some pretty cheap facelift cars knocking around. Now judging by recent sales, prices have firmed up pretty well.
IMO the NSX is beginning to be seen as a strong viable option to the 90s F and P cars, party from a rarity point of view but partly because people realize they are unlikely to lose any money if they buy wisely.

With so few cars available, I think the last count was 380? It's only going to get tougher to find the right car. For some that's going to be frustrating. They will probably buy Boxster Spyder, a 355 or a 911 instead.

Cheers,

James.

Dragonlady
18-02-2011, 02:20 PM
So James, which one are you looking at next, Boxter or 355?;)

Ian

NSX 2000
18-02-2011, 02:36 PM

Ian

Ian NOOOOOOO:no: Don't get James started :laugh:

WhyOne?
18-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Anyway, where is Mark to give is all a slap for 'talking-down' prices?!

AR
18-02-2011, 04:28 PM
http://www.vaseline.com/Product.aspx?Path=Consumer/OurProducts/PetroleumJelly

Papalazarou
18-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Ian

I think girlfriend would have me neutered if I bought something else now. That's not to say she's a lover of the NSX, it's that apparently I'm easier to live with when I have one.
Out of the list above, the only car I kind of like is the Spyder and they're still venting money pretty well. I sat in one a couple of months ago and the the sports bucket seats killed my neck. I'm probably alone in my condemnation, but I can't understand why any manufacture would put that kind of seat in a mass produced convertible.
I know they look great, but there's no lumbar support. They're painfully upright and the shoulder wings push you too far forward. Audi on the other hand give you a great looking seat in the RS4s and TT RS, but still make it feel comfortable because it has some lumbar and, wait for it, recline! Now bearing in mind that the Spyder seats actually tilts forward anyway, how tough would a recline option have been?
This also leads me to think (courtesy of a conversation with Blue5) that ******* uncomfortable seats play a part in the rapid turnover of GT3s and other Porch models.
Hence. Loved the Spyder, loved the seats, but hated their crippling effects and the fact that if you ever want to resell one you've got to have those seats.
Also sat in a 355 the other day. Reminded me of my old Strada 130tc. Except the Fiat seats were more supportive. didn't drive it so can't really comment on it overall.
Rant over.

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
18-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Just remember, the asking price isn't always representative of the selling price. And for obvious reasons, successful buyers having agreed the deal that is right for them, isn't about to rush on here and say the got £xx reduction as this immediately applies depreciation to thier purchase.

As James suggests, prices do seem to have firmed up on the 02's towards the higer £30k's which in turn I guess will pull the rare late 3.2 pop-ups to the £30k window ... which is nice :)

regards, Paul

havoc
18-02-2011, 06:42 PM
:sits waiting for the knock-on effect on the 3.0s:

:looks at watch:

:looks at calendar:

:looks at 2020: ;)

Geraint
18-02-2011, 06:50 PM
:sits waiting for the knock-on effect on the 3.0s:
Look at it from the other end: if a clean '93 3.0 is worth 38k Euro then the knock-on effect must have already happened :laugh:

ConorNZ
19-02-2011, 01:38 PM
James - I've driven a few of the Ferrari models myself through super car clubs and holiday hires (355, 360 and 550). Must say the seats in the 360 (standard) felt like I was being pushed out of them too. The car itself though was amazing, far far better than the 355, which I didn't gel with. Just a shame the 360 attracts so much (unwanted and often negative) attention, and it was not the prettiest F car (355 looks much better).

Must say though, not to sound too pessimistic (as it's great for you owners), but the current hype on prices is putting me off looking! I saw that 3.2 IOP advertised last year too (not a fan of the colour personally, hence it's not on my drive) at £31,995 at Targa Florio Cars. Now it's £8k more and a private sale??? Are you s**ting me??!!

Anyway, now that I'm back from holiday (p.s. NZ and the Maldives are lovely and sunny this time of year :) ) expect to see a wanted add going up on PH and here. I'll give it another month and hopefully get that perfect spec. Fingers crossed!

havoc
19-02-2011, 06:43 PM
(p.s. ... the Maldives are lovely and sunny this time of year :) )

Mind if I ask where? We're off there for a week shortly...first time there, getting rather excited!

Rob_Fenn
19-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Maldives is great! Went to Kurumathi a couple of years back.

Strange how the guy has added no miles, considering it was bought from a dealer?

Papalazarou
19-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Maldives is great! Went to Kurumathi a couple of years back.

Strange how the guy has added no miles, considering it was bought from a dealer?

The car was advertised through the dealer then withdrawn. Now obviously for sale privately.

Cheers,

James.

sutats
19-02-2011, 10:03 PM
PH November 2010 Imola Orange vs PH February 2011 Imola Orange.

Am I running the plates wrong or was the November one an Exige in disguise.

November 2010 ad

February 2011 ad

Papalazarou
20-02-2011, 09:47 AM
PH November 2010 Imola Orange vs PH February 2011 Imola Orange.

Am I running the plates wrong or was the November one an Exige in disguise.

November 2010 ad

February 2011 ad

That's pretty confusing. I was just going on the correspondence I had with the guy. Which was that he had placed the car with Targa Floriwhatever. Then withdrawn. The plate thing has thrown me a bit, but perhaps the seller has changed plates for the sale.

Cheers,

James.

ConorNZ
20-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Mind if I ask where? We're off there for a week shortly...first time there, getting rather excited!

Chayaa Reef Elidahoo - http://www.chaayamaldives.com/hotel.cfm?ghid=261091
It was lovely, obviously! I would say it is very similar to Fiji, having been there a couple of times back when I lived in NZ and it was only a 3 hour flight. Maldives had some very good snorkelling - we swam with all manner of colourfull reef fish, and then in the afternoons, with HUGE tuna, jack fish, sting rays much bigger than me, and a few reef sharks. They all came into the resort around 4 pm to get fed fish scraps by the resort.

Fiji is about half the price of the Maldives though, because it is visited by Australians and New Zealanders who have lower relative incomes when exchange rates are taken into account (well Australia used to have a lower income anyway!) and the flight is much shorter (3hrs vs. 12hrs).

Sure you'll love it.

havoc
20-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks Conor.

We did Raro' and Aitutaki for a few days each when we visited NZ in '08 - Aitutaki is genuine paradise, albeit rather £££. Maldives look like they're going to be very similar - off to Vilamendhoo, which is supposed to have an excellent house reef. I'm not a strong swimmer, but I feel more comfortable snorkelling (main problem is breathing when just swimming - snorkel fixes that).

TheSebringOne
21-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Went to Full Moon a few years ago, its my idea of paradise living on those wooden houses off the coast!

I would love to do it again.

DamianW
23-02-2011, 04:17 PM
I'd just spotted that car and came on here to see what the collective thought of the price. My immediate reaction was "holy cow, I really did sell my 3.2 at the wrong time!". Can't remember if my car was earlier or later than that, but it was also a 2001 3.2.

If anyone cares, and apologies for the thread drift, but I moved on from an E39 M5 and now have an R35 GTR. That's about as polar opposite a car to the NSX as you can get I think.

Papalazarou
23-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I'd just spotted that car and came on here to see what the collective thought of the price. My immediate reaction was "holy cow, I really did sell my 3.2 at the wrong time!". Can't remember if my car was earlier or later than that, but it was also a 2001 3.2.

If anyone cares, and apologies for the thread drift, but I moved on from an E39 M5 and now have an R35 GTR. That's about as polar opposite a car to the NSX as you can get I think.

I nearly bought a GTR, but couldn't shake the NSX bug. Never got as far as a test drive. What do you think of it? Is it the spaceship everyone says it is?

Cheers,

James.

P.s, I thought you'd car made pretty good money at the time. Hard to estimate what it's worth now.

DamianW
23-02-2011, 05:23 PM
I nearly bought a GTR, but couldn't shake the NSX bug. Never got as far as a test drive. What do you think of it? Is it the spaceship everyone says it is?

P.s, I thought you'd car made pretty good money at the time. Hard to estimate what it's worth now.

I did sell the NSX for a good price, you're right. I regret selling it a bit, though truth is I just wasn't using it and there's no point having an expensive ornament.

The GTR is great, worth a test drive. I wanted a car that would make me want to drive it when I opened the garage, yet had a back seat for my daughter. With those requirements I tested 3 cars: a Porsche 997, a Lotus Evora and the GTR. The 997 was well built, competent, but otherwise a little dull. The Evora was as good as people say it is, its fabulous to drive, but for me the rear seats and boot were just too inconvenient. The GTR was mesmerising. Its astonishingly fast, yet for all its computers it still makes you feel part of the action. I'd recommend trying one. The big downsides, compared to an NSX, are its size and overly hard ride. Apparently the MY11 cars now have a softer ride, and I bet its all the better for it. Anyway, early days but so far so good!

Nick Graves
24-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Good luck with the GT-R Damian. Interesting car, but the running costs scare me witless!

I really liked the Evora. So much so, I bought an NSX instead. It was simply more characterful & had "it".

DamianW
24-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Good luck with the GT-R Damian. Interesting car, but the running costs scare me witless!

I really liked the Evora. So much so, I bought an NSX instead. It was simply more characterful & had "it".

Know what you mean about Evora. The NSX is a better Evora, my old 3.2 certainly felt quicker in a straight line and had a much nicer sounding engine (and a bespoke engine too, which counts for a lot to me). But I do like the Evora, I think it looks great, and the steering .. my oh my, if only an NSX had that it'd be perfect.

Running costs on GTR, again they've just improved it on the MY11 cars. Apparently they're now 12 month services. I have an 09 car though, so yes I have the eye-opening 6 month schedule. I'm told, by the previous owner, that the costs are actually nothing like as bad as the internet makes out, and that they're nothing compared to a Ferrari. Only live once!

Boomin33
24-02-2011, 01:04 PM
I did sell the NSX for a good price, you're right. I regret selling it a bit, though truth is I just wasn't using it and there's no point having an expensive ornament.

What's the predecessor of Deja-Vu? like, in the sense... when it's something you haven't seen before, but now that you have, you are sure you will see it again in the future....

not convinced it's merely premonition?

nobby
24-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Very nice mate ... BUT ...

I have heard comments from various owners over here, and most say the GTR is super fast and technologically brilliant but when it comes to outright driver appeal, most lose interest rather rapidly. They say the car pretty much drives itself and there is not much user input. I have read (on local forumes here, as well as hearing from friends who know people that have them) people change from these types of car to 335cd's etc and they prefer those over them. Also they appear to change hands very rapidly and this is due to not being the out and out driver's car it could have been.

Running costs and other associated costs are ridiculous ... a full set of boots i hear costs approx 2.5k alone, then if you damage one ... do an internet search on that one (scary stuff)

Personally I like em, but have not had the pleasure of driving one as yet ... however if its NOT as involved as an NSX then i would frankly pass. I buy a car for me to DRIVE, not for it to drive me.

The GTR was mesmerising. Its astonishingly fast, yet for all its computers it still makes you feel part of the action. I'd recommend trying one. The big downsides, compared to an NSX, are its size and overly hard ride. Apparently the MY11 cars now have a softer ride, and I bet its all the better for it. Anyway, early days but so far so good!

DamianW
24-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Very nice mate ... BUT ...

I have heard comments from various owners over here, and most say the GTR is super fast and technologically brilliant but when it comes to outright driver appeal, most lose interest rather rapidly. They say the car pretty much drives itself and there is not much user input. I have read (on local forumes here, as well as hearing from friends who know people that have them) people change from these types of car to 335cd's etc and they prefer those over them. Also they appear to change hands very rapidly and this is due to not being the out and out driver's car it could have been.

Running costs and other associated costs are ridiculous ... a full set of boots i hear costs approx 2.5k alone, then if you damage one ... do an internet search on that one (scary stuff)

Personally I like em, but have not had the pleasure of driving one as yet ... however if its NOT as involved as an NSX then i would frankly pass. I buy a car for me to DRIVE, not for it to drive me.

With respect, drive one and find out for yourself. They do *not* drive themselves, in that regard I was as surprised as the next man.

Tyres are 2.5k if you are willing to pay a main dealer for tyres. I am getting all 4 replaced for 1400, but that's because I'm sticking with runflats, you can go a lot cheaper if you fancy trying standard rubber (I wouldn't, the car was designed for runflats).

As for going to a 335 ... I'm not 60 years old yet. I've had an M5, and good as it was, it never excited me. I never opened the garage door wanting to drive one. I open the garage door now and I get excited. Job done.

With hindsight I'm a little surprised at all the internet whinging about costs. But its *very* surprising on an NSX forum, a car that can quickly become eye wateringly expensive when things go wrong.

Papalazarou
24-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I looked into the running costs of the GTR and it seems that provided you buy a car that isn't too close to it's big service and the brakes are ok, it's not especially costly to run. Also when you consider the performance. It seems good value for money over say a 997 Turbo which will lose the cost of the GTR in depreciation in the first 3-4 years!
I think that a lot of the negative press has been Chinese whispers and people wishing to belittle what is really a landmark car.

Cheers,

James.

nobby
24-02-2011, 06:53 PM
yes would very much like the opportunity to drive one and make my own mind up, but a lot of modern cars dont do it for me. I drove a CLS amg 5.5 supercharged v8 monster and you felt so disconnected from the car it was unreal, but the power was mind boggling

i hear its difficult for tyre suppliers here to get access to the sizes, and owners have usually to go to Nissan for new boots as they appear to buy up the stock. again this is what i heard

AGREE re NSX prices ... both cars are a joke! :(

regardless you have a VERY nice car mate, one to be proud off :)

With respect, drive one and find out for yourself. They do *not* drive themselves, in that regard I was as surprised as the next man.

Tyres are 2.5k if you are willing to pay a main dealer for tyres. I am getting all 4 replaced for 1400, but that's because I'm sticking with runflats, you can go a lot cheaper if you fancy trying standard rubber (I wouldn't, the car was designed for runflats).

With hindsight I'm a little surprised at all the internet whinging about costs. But its *very* surprising on an NSX forum, a car that can quickly become eye wateringly expensive when things go wrong.

havoc
24-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Wouldn't say the GTR was the polar opposite of the NSX - both are thoroughly engineered 'affordable supercars' from Japan, and (LFA excepted) are probably the best two machines ever to emerge from said country. Both emerged from the manufacturer's desire to upset the 'European' applecart, too...

They do approach petrolheadness from very different directions, undoubtedly, but I don't think sheer competence would have been enough to elevate the GTR to where it is - I suspect it's a genuinely entertaining car.

That said, it's not for me, as I have little enough self-control with 200bhp/tonne, let alone over 300 with more torque than a train. My licence would probably not survive the first encounter with HM's constabulary...

Nick Graves
25-02-2011, 05:16 PM
I looked into the running costs of the GTR and it seems that provided you buy a car that isn't too close to it's big service and the brakes are ok, it's not especially costly to run. Also when you consider the performance. It seems good value for money over say a 997 Turbo which will lose the cost of the GTR in depreciation in the first 3-4 years!
I think that a lot of the negative press has been Chinese whispers and people wishing to belittle what is really a landmark car.

Cheers,

James.

Actually, if you look at it like that, then being tied to Nissan for overpriced tyres etc probably makes a lot more sense. It's just the headline price is so cheap, I suppose it misleads a bit.

Bit like my Samsung printer & its cartridges.

It's just the things like the big service it must have after a trackday to maintain the warranty etc, and its propensity for eating brake discs and tyres that surprise many. But then it does weigh the same as the moon and travels about as fast.

If you go in fully informed, it's not such a problem. Just don't set off the anti-Darwin device in a tiny knock!

etang789
18-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Im was looking at this car on pistonhead as well. any negative points aside from the price? has anyone inspected the car in person?

Nick Graves
18-03-2011, 06:09 PM
No.

I'd be tempted to look though, if I didn't have one already.

I mean, IF it's superb & IF you love the colour, you could always beat him up over the price...

Papalazarou
18-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Actually, if you look at it like that, then being tied to Nissan for overpriced tyres etc probably makes a lot more sense. It's just the headline price is so cheap, I suppose it misleads a bit.

Bit like my Samsung printer & its cartridges.

It's just the things like the big service it must have after a trackday to maintain the warranty etc, and its propensity for eating brake discs and tyres that surprise many. But then it does weigh the same as the moon and travels about as fast.

If you go in fully informed, it's not such a problem. Just don't set off the anti-Darwin device in a tiny knock!

I keep seeing nice new GTRs at my local Nissan dealer. I'm glad I didn't test drive one when NSXless. I may have sold my soul to Millhouse.

Ref the IOP; if IF it's a good one and you must have a late popup in IOP, it's worth a look. However, when I was offered that car, the owner wasn't very negotiable on price. So good luck. An alternative is the silver 2001 manual targa with 11k miles I was offered a few weeks back. And less money. Pm me if you want the details.

Cheers,

James.

etang789
27-06-2011, 08:26 AM
seems like the car is sold

Silver Surfer
05-12-2011, 11:57 PM

Thread rebirth....

SS