PDA

View Full Version : First run of the year - Damn it was good

jpspringall
16-02-2011, 02:00 PM
I brought the NSX out for a trip to wales at the weekend for 1st trip of the year, and the title says it all. If anyone has any doubts doubts as to why you own an NSX, dont drive it for 2 months then after about 10 minutes of drivinf you'll have your answer :-)

Now for a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know where i can get hold of a oil cap? The one i've got works fine, but the plastic has a crack in it - Doesnt stop it working, just doesnt look as nice

2. I noticed that the rear window was steaming alot, does that imply that the seal on the middle compartment is on it's way out?

3. A while ago it had to go be flat bedded to Honda as the master relay went and i couldnt start it. Since i've got it back the central locking on my TOAD A51S/A101CL remote has half stopped working, it locks the car OK, but refuses to unlock - though it does disarm the immbolizer. I'm guessing that because it got flat bedded the alarm activated some kind of setting. I've read the documentation on it and it does appear to have some sort of tow setting, but refers to a master reset switch that is located somewhere within the car.
If anyone has got any ideas that would be great. I tried to take it to a dealer but the first thing thay did was try and sell me a new alarm, not something i want to do unless i have to as it does work.

4. Does anyone have any recommendations for servicing round the cambridge area? I took it to the honda dealer when i had no choice, but they didnt have anyone with experience of working with an NSX. There's no major rush as service isnt due for a while but thought i'd start looking now.

Cheers

James

gumball
16-02-2011, 02:46 PM
My first run of the year didn't go quite as well, pulled away, bogged down and misfire then tcs and abs lights came up. Misfire cleared a few seconds latter(but lights remained) to allow some fun.
4. Letchworth isn't that far away from you, they usually do a good job on mine.(I'll be going there in the very near future).

:)

Papalazarou
16-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Q2. They all fog up. Anyone who says otherwise probably doesn't get the low speed drivetrain clunk, the creaking windscreen/dashboard, the crunch into second when cold, the high clutch engagement, the rough tickover, the occasional broken door catch, broken window motor or the lazy rev fall when upchanginging.

Cheers,

James.

NSXGB
16-02-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm off to Letchworth to have some work done tomorrow, my first trip there, will let you my findings...

NSXGB
16-02-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't recall any condensation problems myself.
Drivetrain clunk, yes...

Is your car kept outside?

Q2. They all fog up. Anyone who says otherwise probably doesn't get the low speed drivetrain clunk, the creaking windscreen/dashboard, the crunch into second when cold, the high clutch engagement, the rough tickover, the occasional broken door catch, broken window motor or the lazy rev fall when upchanginging.

Cheers,

James.

Papalazarou
16-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Drivetrain clunk, yes...

The only one that didn't have it was my 96 targa. All my cars have lived inside. Strange how affects some cars and not others. Wasn't there a link about it somewhere. I guess it's not a big deal.

Cheers,

James.

NSXGB
16-02-2011, 05:28 PM
...unless it's from a crack in the header tank...:eek:

havoc
16-02-2011, 07:07 PM

Cheers,

James.

:D

I did have the condensation when I first bought it. Shin-etzu grease on the engine-cover (NOT the rear-glass, but the inside cover) seals sorted it out and it's not returned. Note though that I have an after-market engine cover not a Honda one - not sure if the Honda one has rubber seals around the edge...assume so.

As for the rest, not yet enjoyed the door catch or window motor (which IS slow though), and the only time I've had a rough idle was when a lambda sensor failed and caused the emissions to go through the roof...

Nick Graves
16-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Misty yes, others no. It's a 90° V6 so of course it shakes the column when cold.

The low-speed driveline shunt in the Prelude is driving me nuts right now; I'm wondering if it needs new engine mounts. The NSX's DBW throttle is a real honey by comparo.

jpspringall
16-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Drivetrain clunk, yes...

Yes, it's kept in car port so i presume that's probably the cause. I'm not overly concerned by it. As it's the first spring i've had it - I'm just learning as i go.

Would be great it you let me know how you get on at letchworth.

Cheers

James

NoelWatson
16-02-2011, 09:05 PM

Cheers,

James.

Does creaking windscreen affect all models? Mine does it at certain temps (and maybe humidity). They took the screen off and resealed but it still does it sometimes. As for 2nd gear crunch, the Honda dealer claimed it was a problem with my gearbox and they would have to take it apart. Halfwits.

Senninha
16-02-2011, 10:09 PM

Cheers,

James.

When it was just 'one' car it was fine ;)

BAck to the OP and I know exactly what you mean ... in the past month I've had 4 good runs as opposed to no runs in the previous 4 months!! What a car!

I do get misting of the rear glass hatch but pleased to report none of the others have been noted.

Silver Surfer
16-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Kaz will be nearest to you.....but it will be a long wait. I've waited since Sept 2010 and still not received an 'admission' date.....

SS

Nick Graves
17-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Spray WD40 on your ankles; there's clearly something wrong with your heel & toe technique!