PDA

View Full Version : Pre-purchase inspection 2?

matpp
14-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Another NSX has come up for sale for a realistic price which I'd like to purchase. :)
I was coming over to the UK anyway and booked the channel tunnel tickets last Friday, arriving in Blighty 14.00 on Saturday 19th, returning Saturday 26th: this meant I could view the car on 19th on my way up north.......it now transpires the vendor is coincidentally going on holiday to France on those very dates and as a result, I won't be able to view the car!! :no:

Is anyone knowledgeable enough willing and able to undertake a pre-purchase inspection on my behalf on either Friday 18th pm or Saturday 19th am......the car's located near Milton Keynes?

Cheers,

Mathieu

Rob_Fenn
19-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Surely he can arrange his wife/girlfriend/friend to just be there whilst you view the car?

I'm not sure how much it costs, but you could always use the AA.
http://www.theaa.com/motoring-advice/vehicle-inspections.html

matpp
14-03-2011, 10:17 PM
RESULT? I had a pre-purchase inspection undertaken today on a sebring silver with black/red interior 96T and based on this, I plan to fly over on Saturday 19th with a view to purchase once I thoroughly test drive and inspect the car myself........problem is, apart from doing my homework though this and other websites, I've never driven an NSX and have no first hand experience!

Would anyone living around the Milton Keynes area be willing to view the car with me on Saturday pm.....I land at Stansted approx 14.00. I live 1000 miles away and if I purchase on Saturday will drive back to the French Pyrenees that very day.

Any help hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

Mathieu

NSXGB
14-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Can't help you out I'm afraid but if you don't get any takers, the same rules apply as for any other car purchase. You'll be fine.

TheSebringOne
14-03-2011, 11:56 PM
If you know the car's registration number, it might be known to us here on NSXCB or it has
previously owned by a member here & might be able offer some advice?

matpp
15-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Here goes:

Registration On Off
N115GLY 2 Jan 1996 16 Jun 1997
4LE 16 Jun 1997 22 Feb 2006
N115GLY 22 Feb 2006 30 Mar 2006
E2NSX 30 Mar 2006

Cheers,

Mathieu

NSX100
15-03-2011, 11:26 AM
I agree with NSXGB. I bought mine with little personal experience of the make and used my judgement and common sense as with buying anything. I have not regretted it. Caveat emptor of course but I would think that a well maintained NSX with all the paperwork that drives well and a helpful and pleasant seller should be encouragement enough.

Bonne chance

matpp
23-03-2011, 11:54 AM
At last.....I am now the owner of a sebring silver '96 NSX T: I was going to say "proud owner" but 20 miles after picking it up, the engine management and TCS lights came on! Stopped the car, restarted, lights still on. Drove 1200 kms home, car drove beautifully but lights remain ON.

I've rummaged around on the forum and concluded it's probably the O2 sensor/s but wanted to read the codes to be sure. Passenger foot well carpet rolled back but no blue (as per prime) connector.....the only one not connected is red....could this be the one as no colour is mentioned on this forum (or at least I can't find it). Also, how many O2 sensors are fitted to this model.....I thought it was 2 but SOS say its 4.

Can't wait to use the car with no warnings!!

Cheers

Mathieu

AR
23-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear of your woes Mathieu, I believe UK and US car had different spec when it came to emissions.

The Blue connector is sometimes hidden behind the alloy foot plate.

A quick look at the Cats will tell you how many sensor you have. If you got them in the cats you got 4 if you got none in the cats you got two...unless somebody changed the cats. :)

Good luck,

AR

Hagasan
23-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Congratulations on finally getting a car :-)

Mine is a 96 UK Targa as well. They are OBDI cars with just two pre-cat O2 sensors as standard in the UK and possibly mainland Europe as well. The US 95/6 cars went onto OBDII and 4 sensors before we did in 97 on the 3.2

As for the warnings..Could be as simple as O2 sensors but sometimes there are more obscure reasons for that combination. Once you find the blue plug try and read off the fault codes....

Good luck,

Gary

matpp
23-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks guys, must appreciated. I've found the blue plug, shorted it and with the ignition on, the TCS light comes on, goes out for approx 1 second then comes on again....and that's it. Do any of you know what this could be?

Obviously, being stupid, I have no idea how to read these codes even having read the thread on Prime.

Cheers,

Mathieu

Silver Surfer
23-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Count the flashes/blinks...there are fast/short and slow/long flashes(blinks) and the cycle repeats...
It's like morse code.
When you have shorted the blue plug...sit in the driver's seat and turn the inition on without starting the car.
Look at the TCS and the Engine light and just count the short and and long blinks on lights.

SS

matpp
23-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Count the flashes/blinks...there are fast/short and slow/long flashes(blinks) and the cycle repeats...
It's like morse code.
When you have shorted the blue plug...sit in the driver's seat and turn the inition on without starting the car.
Look at the TCS and the Engine light and just count the short and and long blinks on lights.

SS

Thanks for the reply......I've done just that and all I get is as above....one long blink from the TCS light

Cheers,

Mathieu

duncan
23-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the reply......I've done just that and all I get is as above....one long blink from the TCS light

Cheers,

Mathieu

Don't panic.
Before you start checking and rechecking; are ALL the brake lights [stop lights] working? A simple single bulb failure can cause the check lights to come on.
If the bulbs are all OK then:-
You may not have read the code correctly, try reading again, it flashes a bit like morse code with long and short flashes and then re-cycles to repeat and re-cycles to repeat again, but don't guess and don't spend any money yet!
Remove ALB2.3 fuse [or disconnect battery] for longer than 3 seconds, this will clear the error code memory .
Restart car, see if warning light comes on, if so re-check as before.
If warning lights come on again then the hunt starts, if you haven't downloaded a full Honda Workshop Manual go to the Prime site and do so. 2 versions exist, a paper [PDF] for 1991 cars and an electronic version for 1991 to 1996.
Section 19 deals with TCS and in detail with the different TCS code faults; likely causes, diagnostics and actions are given.
If you still have a problem, repost and we can then help.
Duncan

Nick Graves
23-03-2011, 08:38 PM
I was gonna say likewise; try switching it on & off again & if it comes back, there's a problem.

It sometimes seems to me as if underused Hondas, suddenly taken on a long run, throw a wobbler. I've had it happen on a couple of occasions (even on a lowly Civic) and there's been no ill-effects. It probably got scared driving on the wrong side of the road.

Anyway, félicitations!

matpp
24-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Right, I've managed to find the ECL fault code, my jumper wasn't pushed far enough into the blue 2 pin connector!

4 x longs and 1 x short = front O2 sensor heater. Is it worth changing both to be on the safe side?

Where's the best place to purchase these....SOS?

Also, I'm going to need some new front discs and pads....can you get slotted and/or drilled discs: do they improve the braking? where's the best place to buy these in the UK? I found these: http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=552639 has anyone tried them?

Sorry, loads of questions I know but I just want to get the car sorted.

Thanks for your help and encouragement thus far.

Cheers,

Mathieu

duncan
24-03-2011, 07:04 PM
...'Is it worth changing both to be on the safe side'....only if you like pain.
The front should be removable with an open ended spanner; for the rear i would suggest cutting the wires and wrecking the O2 sender and use a short 6pt socket.
Where to buy, pattern parts with the correct plug are available from trade autofactors in the UK. If you are happy with non OEM ebay may be your friend.

Sudesh
24-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi Mathieu,

Great to hear you finally got into NSX ownership and wish you all the best and get some pics up in the photo gallery

Dont mean to sound rude, but any chance you can start posting your technical issues or different queries in the other sections as I think some of us [well me anyway lol] dont always read the new owner section.

Hopefully you want have too many technical questions lol

matpp
24-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Hi Mathieu,

Great to hear you finally got into NSX ownership and wish you all the best and get some pics up in the photo gallery

Dont mean to sound rude, but any chance you can start posting your technical issues or different queries in the other sections as I think some of us [well me anyway lol] dont always read the new owner section.

Hopefully you want have too many technical questions lol

Thanks Sudesh,

You're not being rude and you're quite right: I was only thinking this morning that this thread has gone beyond prospective new owner questions....now being an owner, I can cease lurking and do things "comme il faut".....I can even change my avatar from my Arctic truck to somehting more in keeping...mmm....I'll work on that soon....anyone want to buy the only British built arctic truck? They look incredible sat next to each other on the drive....little and large....one could sit under the other!

PS. Can anyone stoke this server up.....what does it take, wood, coal, amphetamines?

Cheers,

Mathieu

Sudesh
24-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks Sudesh,

You're not being rude and you're quite right: I was only thinking this morning that this thread has gone beyond prospective new owner questions....now being an owner, I can cease lurking and do things "comme il faut".....I can even change my avatar from my Arctic truck to somehting more in keeping...mmm....I'll work on that soon....anyone want to buy the only British built arctic truck?

Cheers,

Mathieu

WOW! Only noticing that truck now lol! I wouldnt change that. My avatar changes quite often and is vary rarely NSX related. Please post some pics of your Artic Truck in off topic section, I absolutely love these machines.

matpp
24-03-2011, 10:27 PM
WOW! Only noticing that truck now lol! I wouldnt change that. My avatar changes quite often and is vary rarely NSX related. Please post some pics of your Artic Truck in off topic section, I absolutely love these machines.

I find it difficult to upload pics to forums: you need photo bucket or the equivalent: however, if you want immediate pics, click on this link: http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C215724/

Cheers,

Mathieu