PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NSX events ... which one?

nobby
12-02-2011, 01:59 PM
hi folks

awkward question i know, but which one of these events is better ... japfest or silverstone? :)

if i get the chance i would like to head over to one of these events, but as travelling from N. Ireland i would think one event is 'doable' ... so iam seeking thoughts on which one to go too?

what would your guy's preference be as most of you have done both?

i will see if Sudesh is keen on either event and he can blag a lift with me, as he tends not to do big miles in his motor! :) plus he is mega busy at the moment with his work commitments. I can also try to find out if other NSX owners here are keen to go over.

would really appreciate some feedback as i would like to start organising something and putting motions in place so i can escape! :D

regards

andrew

IMPORTANT NOTE: my ONLY REASON for this post was to establish what would be more preferable to go to as an NSX owner and meet up with more of you guys.

Realistically i can only see me aiming for one and i just wanted to aim for one that would suit my motives for going

gumball
12-02-2011, 04:52 PM
I love the historic racing at Silverstone. But it's like asking what favourite colour you should have.. :bigsmile:
check the reports from last years events.

nobby
12-02-2011, 05:05 PM
i have and i am torn! :)

part of me is edging for silverstone, but i fancy a run out on track with other NSX's!

really dunno ... would love to do both but i dont think i can stretch the budget for that

I love the historic racing at Silverstone. But it's like asking what favourite colour you should have.. :bigsmile:
check the reports from last years events.

Chris B N
13-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi Nobby,
both are great events
choosing between the 2 is not easy
you will have NSX at both
For *** cars it has to be Japfest
but for classic sports racing the only choice is SS
good luck with your decision making
but would love to meet with you and hopefully some of the other guy's
from over the water if not at both but one or the other.

Chris B N

nobby
13-02-2011, 05:26 PM
hi chris

cheers for the feedback. i know its not easy to choose, but it would be highly unlikely that i could or afford to do both, but defo want to try and get over and meet people from these forums as well as get my car over with other NSX's; so unfortunately i may need to choose from one :(

japfest does sound interesting, but so does silverstone and especially with the stand Honda themselves have promised again this year

it may well come down to the likes of Sudesh making the decision as he is pretty flat out at the mo and is not sure when he will be available. i can get in touch with justin as well and there are a few more NSX owners here that Sudesh knows too

will see what pans out and what others think also. many thanks for response even though it has not helped me any further! :)

regards

Hi Nobby,
both are great events
choosing between the 2 is not easy
you will have NSX at both
For *** cars it has to be Japfest
but for classic sports racing the only choice is SS
good luck with your decision making
but would love to meet with you and hopefully some of the other guy's
from over the water if not at both but one or the other.

Chris B N

SILVER BULLET
13-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Nobby,
I haven't been to The Silverstone Classic mainly because I always attend The Festival of Speed at Goodwood at the begining of July, where just about every kind of motor sport is represented, vintage, classic and the very latest equipment.

I do however attend Japfest each year and thoroughly enjoy it every time ,I think that it particularly suits you younger guys,the track sessions are always entertaining too,i'm sure that we would all be pleased to see our 'Norn Iron' friends over here for this event.

So get organising and we will see you in May,

Cheers,

Ian

nobby
13-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Hi Ian

cheers for the comments! mmmmm, got me thinking about japfest now, right something to go on at least. i will review with the other guys here and see what the score is.
Sudesh and I have talked a few times about trying to get over, so this year may be the year. also with Justin now having a motor and keen to use it and head to events he is another potential traveller.

my car is currently with Sudesh, so when its ready, it will also dictate which event is feasible.

BTW we are not that young ... certainly not dressed in our tracksuit bottoms and hoodies!

will defo try to get the 'Norn Iron' lads over for a bit of a larf! :)

Nobby,
I haven't been to The Silverstone Classic mainly because I always attend The Festival of Speed at Goodwood at the begining of July, where just about every kind of motor sport is represented, vintage, classic and the very latest equipment.

I do however attend Japfest each year and thoroughly enjoy it every time ,I think that it particularly suits you younger guys,the track sessions are always entertaining too,i'm sure that we would all be pleased to see our 'Norn Iron' friends over here for this event.

So get organising and we will see you in May,

Cheers,

Ian

SILVER BULLET
13-02-2011, 06:22 PM
BTW we are not that young ... certainly not dressed in our tracksuit bottoms and hoodies!

Nobby, I was talking young as in pre' mid life crisis'. Track suits and hoodies are obligatory !!! See you in May,

SILVER BULLET
13-02-2011, 06:24 PM

Nobby, I was talking young as in pre' mid life crisis'. Track suits and hoodies are obligatory !!! See you in May:laugh:,

nobby
13-02-2011, 06:28 PM
LOL!

hopefully get the chance to meet up!

Nobby, I was talking young as in pre' mid life crisis'. Track suits and hoodies are obligatory !!! See you in May:laugh:,

Papalazarou
13-02-2011, 07:37 PM
I prefer Japfest because although it takes place on one day, it's got all the best ingredients; car club track action; anyone can go out on track and it's great to watch, because these are cars you see every day racing around one of the fastest circuits in the UK. There are thousands of modified cars on display. Normally there are convoys from different parts of the country. This is great fun as sometimes you will be in a group of ten or fifteen NSXs cruising down the motorway. You will also catch up or be caught up by other convoys along the way. It can be quite impressive being passed by half a dozen GTRs with race pipes.
The early morning start also adds to the fun factor; setting out on a quiet road at 6.00am adds to the occassion.
I'm not trying to take anything away from Silverstone. But you asked and that's my opinion.
I've got room to put a couple of people up also.

Cheers,

James.

havoc
14-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Depends on what you're most into.

Japfest is exactly what it says - *** machinery only, much of it modded. Track-time is a draw, but having seen the 'quality' of the driving on there (and having done Combe in my old 'teg), I would NOT be taking my NSX on track there - too big a risk!

If you like the whole *** scene and like seeing mods (good, bad, ugly and 'wow, how much have they spent there') then it's a good day. Traffic in and out of the venue can be an utter nightmare, but if you're in the right queue you don't mind so much.

SS Classic is like Goodwood FoS at a circuit - everything from pre-war racers through to beautiful GT cars, cars from the golden era of Le Mans and up to 80's F1s and Group-C's. Plus the car-clubs tend towards the 'more expensive' than Japfest - we were between the Aston Martins and the Cobras last year, with the Lambo area just over the road. Big autojumble to walk around, easy access to the pits/paddock...I don't know of any event (other than FoS) where you can actually touch genuine race-cars and talk to genuine ex-racers.

Papalazarou
14-02-2011, 10:04 AM

Japfest is exactly what it says - *** machinery only, much of it modded. Track-time is a draw, but having seen the 'quality' of the driving on there (and having done Combe in my old 'teg), I would NOT be taking my NSX on track there - too big a risk!

If you like the whole *** scene and like seeing mods (good, bad, ugly and 'wow, how much have they spent there') then it's a good day. Traffic in and out of the venue can be an utter nightmare, but if you're in the right queue you don't mind so much.

SS Classic is like Goodwood FoS at a circuit - everything from pre-war racers through to beautiful GT cars, cars from the golden era of Le Mans and up to 80's F1s and Group-C's. Plus the car-clubs tend towards the 'more expensive' than Japfest - we were between the Aston Martins and the Cobras last year, with the Lambo area just over the road. Big autojumble to walk around, easy access to the pits/paddock...I don't know of any event (other than FoS) where you can actually touch genuine race-cars and talk to genuine ex-racers.

Having tracked CC on a number of Japfests, the NSX sessions have always been fine. The infamous crash of 2007 was the first lap on cold tyres and was totally driver error. Really can't imagine that happening again.
A few of us have also driven other sessions and tbh there's never been an issue. CC is nearly two miles long and there's plenty of room.
Not to say that CC is the most car friendly track. Quarry corner has caught a lot of people out. But this is normally the result if people trying to drive a track they do not know flat out whilst ignoring the briefings. This is not exclusive to this venue.
With regard to car clubs, I agree that Silverstone is upmarket compared to JF. I wonder how the other clubs There view us? Probably wish we'd stay in Wiltshire;-)
I just find JF more down to earth because the average person can relate to what's there. However, I guess the charm of both event is the diversity. They couldn't really be any more different.

Cheers,

James.

nobby
14-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks so much Havoc & James for your input

Big thanks to James for the offer of putting people up ... very much appreciated :)

Both events do appeal to me because of what they offer.

As stated I will talk to Sudesh, JP etc and find out what their opinion is and whatever is most popular I will try and sort something out for that.

Again appreciate the input, greatly appreciated.

regards

andrew

gumball
14-02-2011, 08:55 PM

In many ways Silverstone is better than the festival of speed, you see the cars working as intended, also the fos is a victim of it's own success being absolutely crammed with people all three days now.

Sorry slightly off topic, just saying. :)

havoc
14-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Track - fair 'nuff...esp. if it's an NSX-only session, which should be a little more sensible. Not just Quarry though, but seen a couple of accidents on the final corner where people have overcooked it, caught it, then the over-correction has spat them into the pit-wall (notably a Scooby about 3-4 years ago). Combe is a ballsy circuit without generous run-off...good if you want it, worrying if you don't.

I just find JF more down to earth because the average person can relate to what's there. However, I guess the charm of both event is the diversity. They couldn't really be any more different.

True. Maybe I'm being a little snobbish, but modded Civics, FTO's and Z-cars do nothing for me...would rather see a nicely-preserved and reasonably stock P1, TME or V-Spec Nur...and IMHO none of them compare to getting up-close to an original D-Type, XK-SS or 250GTO (or a 275 Breadvan). Or a 787B (rumoured to be on the Group-C circuit now :bow: ), or Ronnie Petersen's old F1 machines, etc. etc. etc. I know I'm going on, but even after 3 years of going I'm still 'kiddie in a sweet shop' at SS Classic... :D

Dragonlady
15-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Good arguments for both, but JP is a one day event, a long way to travel for the day. SS on the other hand is three days with lots of car clubs, not just old MG's and Healeys. Last year there was over 200 Ferraris, Lambos, Porkers etc, so not just old stuff.
A lot of the owners club members also go to the SS as well as JP so a good chance to put names to faces.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is also track time available at the SS event from what I remember from last year.
Good luck in your choice.

Ian

nobby
15-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Good to see some active healthy discussion NOW! :)

was a bit worried that no one was going to give 'opinion' and remember i am only seeking opinion from those who have attended both.

i must admit there are issues with Japfest i.e. duration etc but also looking at modded civic's, skyline's etc. I see these types of car regularly in N. Ireland as there is quite a car culture here, and i dont need to travel to JF/England to see it. Personally, I am thinking more about the Silverstone side of things ... specifically because what is on offer a wide range of cars etc.

Travelling to the mainland does not really bother me, its getting to an event and getting VFM and meeting as many NSX'ers as possible is my aim. leaning towards SSC if i am being honest. just need to find out what is suitable for the likes of Sudesh etc

cheers guys!

Senninha
15-02-2011, 05:06 PM
......... Last year there was over 200 Ferraris, Lambos, Porkers etc, so not just old stuff.
Ian

In addition, chatting to Chris the other day he suggested the E-type owners club is planning a major presence for this years SSC, so maybe something else to consider and sway decision.

I intend attending them both this year so will see you at at least one of the events,

regards, Paul

AR
15-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I just wish I could afford the time off in the summer!

Papalazarou
16-02-2011, 10:03 AM
My phone ate my last reply. So here's a quick reply;
Martin, the corner you're talking about is 'camp.' People do crash there, but we're talking about a laid back NSX session, not a race series.
People also crash on other tracks although the lack of run-off on quarry and camp doesn't help.
With regard to distance and value for money, either event is going to be a pain for someone. I can understand Silverstone being popular as the NSX demographic is largely South-East. However, for anyone coming from the South-West it's a pig of a drive and entry is pretty expensive.
With regard to the cars and the car clubs. I like the FTOs and the Z cars. But it's an oversimplification to use the general riced-up *** card. Personally, I don't feel like I fit in at Silverstone, but I'll try my best to support it this year.

Cheers,

James.

sorepaws
16-02-2011, 10:37 AM
You wont see these at japfest :-D

Papalazarou
16-02-2011, 11:08 AM

I find it ironic that our club has such an issue with Japanese car events.

Cheers,

James.

Chris B N
16-02-2011, 11:41 AM
I will be going to both again this year,
Japfest because it is Japanese cars as well as well as NSXCB being there, owning and running a car such as an NSX for me just brings out the Japanese car in me. Driving and owning cars for 48 years I didn't buy a Japanese car until 2005 ( still have that MX5)
since then have owned RX8, NSX and Civic. No longer have the RX8 but wish I still had room for it.
Also enjoy sports and classic cars, so I enjoy the local classic shows. But SS classic if you like classic sports cares is something else, to see these cars racing and being able to wander freely and talk to drivers and mechanics does make it special.
There was a short notice in Classic and sports car mag this month, this year is the 5oth anniversary of the E Type and the various Jaguar owners clubs are trying to get 1500 E Types to Silverstone, with some reported to be coming from both Europe and the USA.
Now that will be worth seeing!!!!!

Enough of the ramblings of a petrol head, if you have the time I would say go to both.

Chris

sorepaws
16-02-2011, 12:27 PM
I find it ironic that our club has such an issue with Japanese car events.

Cheers,

James.

I don't have an issue - just highlighting a difference. I have attended both events in the past and the only thing that is stopping me this year is a planned trip to Le Mans instead of Japfest. :-S
I also like many, belong to several car clubs and have attended other events like JAE, JapShow - Goodwood Sunday breakfast club, Classics on the Green !

I thought this thread was supposed to provide some help for someone who can only attend either Japfest or SSC. I offer no opinion about the merits of Japanese Car Events or SCC for that matter they are aimed at different audiences.

Papalazarou
16-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Not your post particularly Sorepaws, just the general undercurrent of this thread. just seems like every year JF gets slated and Silverstone gets gold star.

Cheers,

James.

nobby
16-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Hi folks

That certainly was NOT my intention either James; my reason for post was to establish what would be more preferable to go to as an NSX owner and meet up with more of you guys. realistically i can only see me aiming for one and i just wanted to aim for one that would suit me better

as i said BOTH have strong merits for going, and that is why its do darn difficult for me to determine what exactly to go for. I certainly do not want to put down either show as i am definitely interested in both and i love Japanese cars anyways.

If i could do ALL 3 meets so far arranged this year I would, but in reality that is simply not possible or financially feasable

regards

andrew

sorepaws
16-02-2011, 01:24 PM
another point to note is that JF normally attracts about twice as many NSX owners as SSC -

Regards
Mike

sorepaws
16-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Pros and Cons - you decide :-D

JapFest - Skinny birds
Silverstone - Vanessa Feltz

JapFest - Personalised cars, affordable and recognisable
Silverstone - the chance to poke around in the paddock garages and see what racing cars are like

JapFest - Castle Coombe and a bunch of enthusiastic owner drivers having fun on track
Silverstone - an old airfield with a bunch of nutters battling it out in old cars - and taking it VERY seriously.

JapFest - Probably the best Barbq the NSX Club have
Silverstone - Jedwood ! ( ok Santana in 2009 ! )

This was supposed to be a fun comparison - they are both great events and for very different reasons - but without doubt they are THE events to go to in 2011.

Regards

Mike

ps I just like cars I don't care where I see them - my world is complete with the smell of petrol fumes, burning rubber and great company !

Papalazarou
16-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Andrew, I know it wasn't your intention to start any overheated debate about it. you were just asking the question, which is fair enough. In reality they are both really good and very different events. If you can, you might want to do one this year and the other the next.
Mike, that's a pretty balanced account really:-)

ps I just like cars I don't care where I see them - my world is complete with the smell of petrol fumes, burning rubber and great company !

I agree with that. Are you making the tea this year?

Cheers,

James.

nobby
16-02-2011, 05:36 PM
cheers bud!

yes that is very true. still have to wait to see what my 'master' says about it all though! :)

Andrew, I know it wasn't your intention to start any overheated debate about it. you were just asking the question, which is fair enough. In reality they are both really good and very different events. If you can, you might want to do one this year and the other the next.

Cheers,

James.

SILVER BULLET
16-02-2011, 06:23 PM

Two reasons!!! Firstly and most obviously there not Japanese and secondly, they would almost certainly break down before they got there !!!:laugh::eek:.

Appologies, but I couldn't resist,

havoc
16-02-2011, 07:01 PM
James,

I'm guessing the 'anti-JF on a ***-car forum' comments were aimed at least in part at me. Which is a fair point - they don't do it for me!

Despite owning almost exclusively Hondas (one Ford) for over 10 years, and having rather a soft spot for Subarus and quick Mazdas, I feel almost no affinity for the 'ricer' scene (yes, I know it's an Americanism but it's appropriate). And having been to JAE, Japfest and Japfest 2 in the past, this is what most ***-only events seem to focus on / be attended by. I'd far rather see a broad range of all sorts of cars, std and modded, than walk past 30 different Evo VIIs and VIIIs all with various versions of the same modifications (which me and a mate did at JAE 3 years ago - counted 'em and only stopped at the lone TME, which we both drooled over!).

So for me JF would be an event to attend solely because of the large NSXCB presence and the chance to meet more club-members, rather than for the whole event. Whereas SSC is IMHO one of the Top-5 motorsport events in the UK (F1, Goodwood x2 and Moto GP being the others), and offers the opportunity to see massive amounts of rare and ex-competition metal, up very close and very personal. Mike's summary above of the two events, while tongue-in-cheek, wasn't far off the mark...

If someone prefers the JDM scene over classics, then the argument would be reversed - SSC would be a bunch of old-timer cars brought out of retirement, and posing supercar owners wandering round in their £200 'driving shoes', whereas JF and the others would be a meeting of 'real world' petrolheads who put their heart-and-soul into their cars. I can see that perspective and I'm not judging - honest I'm not!

Papalazarou
17-02-2011, 10:18 AM
I was thinking about what I actually do when I'm at a car event. It used to be that I spent about an hour awkwardly cleaning the car with buckets of water carried half a mile from the nearest public toilet.
These days I can't get too into that. Just seems like a lot of aggro for something that'll probably get rained on half an hour later.
I then spend about an hour looking round the event at all the car displays, then go to the vendors area and buy some artery furring double clog burger.
Then, in reality I'll spend the rest of the day sat around the stand catching up with anyone I haven't managed to offend on the forum.
TBO Martin, I'm not especially interested in the endless modified duplicates of the same car. Im not even particularly bothered with the drifting demos. But like yourself and many others here, it's a great opportunity to catch up. For me it's all the little details that make each event; the convoys, the stand choreography;-) the buzz of all those scared and excited people going on track, the polishing of cars etc etc. All those derails making one big atmosphere.

Cheers,

James.

sorepaws
17-02-2011, 10:29 AM
and your secret passion for Vanessa Feltz! hahaha

bobbyswanbourne
17-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Based upon my research it will be sunny at Silverstone...but there will be scantily clad women at Japfest.......you pays your money.

SILVER BULLET
17-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Based upon my research it will be sunny at Silverstone...but there will be scantily clad women at Japfest.......you pays your money.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=3711&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1211126736 (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=3711&d=1211126736)

Oh yes I had forgot about them:laugh:

Chris B N
17-02-2011, 07:50 PM
So Guy's you make your choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Chris B N
17-02-2011, 07:54 PM
So having said make your choice, come on guy's come to Japfest and give me the honor of the record number of cars.