PDA

View Full Version : Pre-purchase inspection?

matpp
25-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Hello all,

Just joined this forum recently as I wish to purchase an NSX......I've spent a long time trawling the forum for information and have already gleaned a lot thanks to you guys :)
I've now found an NSX I wish to purchase and as I live in the French Pyrenees, asked KAZ if he could undertake a pre-purchase inspection but as he only works on a friend/private basis, he suggested I post this request so that someone may be able to assist me.

Is anyone who lives down south with the technical know-how able and willing?......please pm me for further info.

NSX 2000
25-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Hello all,

Just joined this forum recently as I wish to purchase an NSX......I've spent a long time trawling the forum for information and have already gleaned a lot thanks to you guys :)
I've now found an NSX I wish to purchase and as I live in the French Pyrenees, asked KAZ if he could undertake a pre-purchase inspection but as he only works on a friend/private basis, he suggested I post this request so that someone may be able to assist me.

Is anyone who lives down south with the technical know-how able and willing?......please pm me for further info.

Hi Matpp

If you could be a little more precise than "down south" that would help, as you could mean Lands end, Dover or anywhere in between

matpp
25-01-2011, 06:37 PM
You're right, especially with all the traffic jams in the UK!.....I forget. Is West Sussex precise enough?

Sudesh
25-01-2011, 06:50 PM
You may actually get some info on the car if you posted the details on the forum! Or maybe you want to keep it to yourself in case someone jumps in a buys it lol

matpp
25-01-2011, 06:57 PM
You may actually get some info on the car if you posted the details on the forum! Or maybe you want to keep it to yourself in case someone jumps in a buys it lol

Astute Sudesh! The car's already been mentioned on the forum recently, all saying it appears reasonable value. Are you in the area and available Saturday?

WhyOne?
25-01-2011, 07:16 PM
I live in West Sussex and whilst no mechanical expert (something of an understatement) I do have a reasonable eye for detail and would be willing to take a look at the car for you.

It is possible I could persuade Simon (NSXCB), who is rather more mechanically minded, to come along with me - whereabouts in W. Sussex is the car?

I am tied up this Saturday, but Sunday am is a possible.

I guess it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, all I / we could do is report back on the car based on looking, listening and hopefully travelling in it - there could be absolutely no guarantee that the car is 100% (or even 50%!!) based on a casual inspection such as this.

NSXGB
25-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I'm happy to help if I can...

Senninha
25-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Other options would be an AA/RAC inspection or see if the current owner would take it along to PLans Motorsport who do a know a bit about NSX's ....

I would however be happy for Ian & Simon to report on an NSX given their combined knowledge and eye for detail.

Good Luck. I presume the NSX will be leaving UK soil if all goes well at the weekend?

regards, Paul

Sudesh
25-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Astute Sudesh! The car's already been mentioned on the forum recently, all saying it appears reasonable value. Are you in the area and available Saturday?

Hi

I'm based in N.I so not just as handy lol

But I have been to the UK inspecting various cars before. Last NSX was the one Andrew bought.

One problem with doing a decent inspection is, how far the current owner/dealer will let you poke around at! Also access to a lift is always a bonus and the amout of time needed.

Hagasan
25-01-2011, 08:42 PM
If the seller was pointed towards this site to show a genuine train of thought and the interested buyer was willing to pay for the inspection, wouldn't Ian's relationship with his Honda dealer create the chance for an inspection on the ramps? Not trying to rope you in Ian, just a suggestion of sorts!! I think if I was looking now then the red one would be the car of choice in that age group...

matpp
25-01-2011, 09:16 PM
I live in West Sussex and whilst no mechanical expert (something of an understatement) I do have a reasonable eye for detail and would be willing to take a look at the car for you.

It is possible I could persuade Simon (NSXCB), who is rather more mechanically minded, to come along with me - whereabouts in W. Sussex is the car?

I am tied up this Saturday, but Sunday am is a possible.

I guess it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, all I / we could do is report back on the car based on looking, listening and hopefully travelling in it - there could be absolutely no guarantee that the car is 100% (or even 50%!!) based on a casual inspection such as this.

Blimey, what a brilliant forum....immediate and positive response! Let me contact the vendor as he's currently moving house and communication is somewhat slow...as I'm writing this, just telephoned him and he promised to confirm if Sunday am is OK by Thursday pm.

Thanks Simon and Ian. If you could pm me with your phone numbers, I'll give you a full rundown.

Merci et a bientot

Mathieu

matpp
25-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Other options would be an AA/RAC inspection or see if the current owner would take it along to PLans Motorsport who do a know a bit about NSX's ....

I would however be happy for Ian & Simon to report on an NSX given their combined knowledge and eye for detail.

Good Luck. I presume the NSX will be leaving UK soil if all goes well at the weekend?

regards, Paul

Thanks for the response Paul, I think I'll put my trust in them....nothing like front line experience: do AA/RAC have that?
Yes, the NSX would be leaving for French soil.....I have brilliant alpine roads on my doorstep (I'm also a biker) and a few trackday tracks (Pau Arnos) not far away BUT back to blighty for Goodwood and Silverstone if the car proves reliable (HONDA/Ferrari?)
I can organize it....if anyone fancies a trackday at Pau Arnos, let me know....look it up on the internet.....anyway, I'm obviously getting overexcited with my potential purchase after a few glasses of wine. Cheers,

Sudesh
25-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Hope all goes well Mathieu! and you get a chance to own on of these great cars.

matpp
25-01-2011, 10:01 PM

Thanks....SNAP

Hagasan
25-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the response Paul, I think I'll put my trust in them....nothing like front line experience: do AA/RAC have that?
Yes, the NSX would be leaving for French soil.....I have brilliant alpine roads on my doorstep (I'm also a biker) and a few trackday tracks (Pau Arnos) not far away BUT back to blighty for Goodwood and Silverstone if the car proves reliable (HONDA/Ferrari?)
I can organize it....if anyone fancies a trackday at Pau Arnos, let me know....look it up on the internet.....anyway, I'm obviously getting overexcited with my potential purchase after a few glasses of wine. Cheers,

Sounds like the Euro trip some of us were discussing on "Marky's I'm not coming ;-)" London mini-meet is sorted then lol

Good luck, hope the car is a good un....

NoelWatson
26-01-2011, 12:21 PM
if anyone fancies a trackday at Pau Arnos, let me know....look it up on the internet,

What would be the easiest way to get there?

nobby
26-01-2011, 01:33 PM
+1

Hope all works out for you! :)

Senninha
26-01-2011, 07:48 PM
What would be the easiest way to get there?

I'll take a guess and suggest via the chunnel in your NSX? ;)

NoelWatson
26-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I'll take a guess and suggest via the chunnel in your NSX? ;)

I had a look on the map and it is way down South. Can't recall how far down one can go on train.

Senninha
26-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Calais will do, then take the fabulous 940 caostal road to Le Touquet for breakfast.

Back on the 940 and pick up the 925 down past Le Harve at which point I'd head for Le Mans area.

Depending on time of day you start, pick somewhere between here and Bordeaux for your overnight; plenty of Chateau's to choose from.

Pau is about 65 miles south of Bordeaux.

havoc
26-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Follow it up with a week on the beach near Perpignan... :D

So all we need is Mathieu to find his car and we're off... :laugh:

NSXGB
26-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Ian, your PM box is full....

WhyOne?
26-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Ooops - sorry.

Cleared out a little now!

matpp
26-01-2011, 10:29 PM
I had a look on the map and it is way down South. Can't recall how far down one can go on train.

Train...have you lost leave of your senses? Are you going to rent an NSX once you're there? I thought the whole point was to drive through the A's and D's of France whilst stopping for a nice meal and hotel on the way ....booting it intelligently without getting stopped for speeding and getting your car confiscated (it does happen) . If you've a boring car then stick it on the train! Has your NSX broken down or are you afraid to put miles on....it defeats the point of an NSX track day outing!

By the way, if anyone's interested, the Pau historic is being held from 13th to 15th May...it's our little Monaco.....brilliant do: weather dependent! http://www.grandprixdepauhistorique.com/

I'll keep you posted on the best way down to Pau once I've (hopefully) struck the deal.....Bordeaux is not the best route...I'll explain why later.......watch this spot.

Bonsoir :)

NSX100
27-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Mathieu,

I am in Paris - maybe we should have a French meet when the weather improves. Unfortunately, my NSX is in Aberdeen - long story - but will be coming over here in the spring once I have it serviced etc. I know Pau very well - fantastic city; I am there frequently on business (and for the foie gras and magret) so an excuse to drive down there instead of enduring Air France would be great.

BTW if anyone is interested in driving over here by far the best and cheapest route is the Eurotunnel. Alternatively, to maximise driving in the Pays Basque and the Pyrénées-Atlantiques take the ferry to San Sebastian from Plymouth or Southampton. As for the beaches of Perpignon they are nothing compared to those of the Pays Basque.

matpp
27-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Just received an email from the vendor saying he's sold the car.....I made him a very good offer last Saturday to which he never responded apart from emailing me copy documents and a photo....his advert said he didn't want timewasters....it would appear I ended up with one.

The car's reg is N11 NSX so it's bound to turn up on this forum somewhere!

Thanks for you kind offers, Simon and Ian.....very much appreciated.

Back to the drawing board for me.

Dragonlady
27-01-2011, 05:55 PM
There's two very nice yellow ones and a new midnight purple has popped up on piston heads for around 21k'ish

Good luck in your search Ian

NoelWatson
27-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Train...have you lost leave of your senses? Are you going to rent an NSX once you're there? I thought the whole point was to drive through the A's and D's of France whilst stopping for a nice meal and hotel on the way ....booting it intelligently without getting stopped for speeding and getting your car confiscated (it does happen) . If you've a boring car then stick it on the train! Has your NSX broken down or are you afraid to put miles on....it defeats the point of an NSX track day outing!

By the way, if anyone's interested, the Pau historic is being held from 13th to 15th May...it's our little Monaco.....brilliant do: weather dependent! http://www.grandprixdepauhistorique.com/

I'll keep you posted on the best way down to Pau once I've (hopefully) struck the deal.....Bordeaux is not the best route...I'll explain why later.......watch this spot.

Bonsoir :)

I would only be able to get away for a short weekend so would hope to pick up the Renault in Portsmouth, hop on the Friday overnight ferry, and arrive nearby in the morning - I think NSX100 has sown the seeds of a plan.

Sudesh
27-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Sorry to hear that, possibly someone offered a bit more or the asking price and guy went with that.

Hopefully something else you like will appear.

Just received an email from the vendor saying he's sold the car.....I made him a very good offer last Saturday to which he never responded apart from emailing me copy documents and a photo....his advert said he didn't want timewasters....it would appear I ended up with one.

The car's reg is N11 NSX so it's bound to turn up on this forum somewhere!

Thanks for you kind offers, Simon and Ian.....very much appreciated.

Back to the drawing board for me.

matpp
27-01-2011, 06:38 PM
There's two very nice yellow ones and a new midnight purple has popped up on piston heads for around 21k'ish

Good luck in your search Ian

Thanks Ian......unfortunately I don't like yellow.....and I can't be the only one as they've both been on PH for some time now. Also, one picture shows the speedo and the numbers don't appear to line up correctly...is this normal for an NSX? The other yellow one's got too much mileage for me.
Purple?....not sure and it's miles away in south devon........does anyone on the forum live there to check it out or does anyone have any knowledge of N5X SC?

Mathieu

Senninha
27-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Mathieu,

You have PM,

regards, Paul

WhyOne?
27-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Just received an email from the vendor saying he's sold the car....

Ah, shame.

Sorry to hear that Mathieu.

This is the downside to NSX ownership - it is bloody difficult to become the owner of a good car.

Now we know you are looking, I am sure there will be other opportunities winging their way to your PM box over teh coming weeks.

Take good car (and be patient!)

Ian
:)

havoc
27-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Sorry to hear that Mathieu. Patience works out for most people on here...and as above, club-members now know you're looking.

Re: yellow - marmite colour, and VERY obvious on the road.

Re: mileage - mine has 96k now and feels fitter/tighter than most 40-50k cars I've driven. The powertrain will take the miles, the interior is fairly hard-wearing, but it will need TLC to stuff like brakes and suspension.

NSXGB
27-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Bad luck Mathieu, seems there is a lot of interest in them at the moment for some reason...

matpp
27-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Bad luck Mathieu, seems there is a lot of interest in them at the moment for some reason...

There's an article in Classic and Sportscar Feb issue.........always effects prices and demand...same thing happened with Ferrari 328's some months back.

Good for current owners who wish to sell!!

matpp
31-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Mathieu,

I am in Paris - maybe we should have a French meet when the weather improves. Unfortunately, my NSX is in Aberdeen - long story - but will be coming over here in the spring once I have it serviced etc. I know Pau very well - fantastic city; I am there frequently on business (and for the foie gras and magret) so an excuse to drive down there instead of enduring Air France would be great.

BTW if anyone is interested in driving over here by far the best and cheapest route is the Eurotunnel. Alternatively, to maximise driving in the Pays Basque and the Pyrénées-Atlantiques take the ferry to San Sebastian from Plymouth or Southampton. As for the beaches of Perpignon they are nothing compared to those of the Pays Basque.

Sounds great.....all I need now is an NSX!.....and you're right about the beaches, especially if you're a surfing dude. San Sebastian, the Basque capital is worth a detour if only for the tapas culture. I used to live in Paris for 4 years (intra-muros 7th, 2nd, 6th and 8th arondissements), grew tired of the rude Parisians and their driving so moved down here.....much more peaceful!

A bientot hopefully.

NoelWatson
31-01-2011, 02:47 PM
San Sebastian, the Basque capital is worth a detour if only for the tapas culture.

Don't Biarittz play there occasionally?

matpp
31-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Don't Biarittz play there occasionally?

Biarritz is just up the road............play what, rugby, pelote or just themselves?.....probably all three I should imagine

NoelWatson
31-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Biarritz is just up the road............play what, rugby, pelote or just themselves?.....probably all three I should imagine

Rugby - I recall watching a Heineken Cup game on Sky - atmosphere seemed pretty lively.

Hagasan
09-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Well it looks likes like NSX price inflation is running away with itself......When does it become impossible not to be tempted to cash in?!?!?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-Honda-NSX-Red-/230584025960?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item35afe10368

For anyone reading the from here onwards this is the same car http://pistonheads.com/sales/2417852.htm

Report to Administrator (http://pistonheads.com/sales/report.asp?i=2417852)
Reference #2417852
NSX-T (1996)

42,000 miles£22,995http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/2417/2417852-1t.jpg (javascript:void(0))http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/2417/2417852-2t.jpg (javascript:void(0))http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/2417/2417852-3t.jpg (javascript:void(0))
http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/2417/2417852-4t.jpg (javascript:void(0))
UK 1996 Honda NSX-T rare targa model in gleaming Formula Red, all usual refinements including unmarked black black leather that still smells as new, with contrasting grey interior, air conditioning, cruise control, Bose Hi Fi system.
Full service history and exceptionally low 42,000 miles from new with every MOT certificate to verify , cam belt changed 2007, so next change 2012.
This is rare opportunity the purchase a true super car, only having covered 400 miles in the last two years, genuine enquiries only, no tyre kickers or time wasters....

Sorry - this item is no longer available

IT WAS SOLD VIA PISTONHEADS!

Senninha
09-02-2011, 10:54 PM
WTF??? I'd be happy(ish) with that for mine .... should someone tell the seller a) about this forum b) its only a 3.0 and C) its only the facelift cars that were making really silly money .....

nobby
09-02-2011, 11:14 PM
if someone buys it without doing research then they are a complete tool, and rub it up em for being stupid!

matpp
10-02-2011, 07:50 AM
I noticed it this morning, was going to post it on here but you've beaten me to it! This is the car N11 NSX, I was hoping to buy for approx £22K.....now on for £35K! Also, the yellow N30 NSX which must have sold for approx £19/20K is now back on PH http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2489027.htm for £25K! Bl**dy traders trying to cash in due to a recent article in Classic and Sportscar! Problem is, their prices don't correlate with the article.

Nick Graves
10-02-2011, 12:21 PM
I remember what it's like trying to buy one.

Good cars tend to stay with their enthusiast ownders these days.

As stated, Carcoat Damphands keeps snapping them up, adding five bag to the price for doing far call & then waits for a gullible Gary...

We've also got the added problem that all assets are back in a bubble, since no-one trusts their currency not to fall through the floor.

Just offer the dealer sensible money for it...he'll be desperate soon.

AR
10-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Is not just the NSX that is going up, other "exotics" seem to be gaining too compared to a few months.

Hagasan
10-02-2011, 05:03 PM
I remember what it's like trying to buy one.

Good cars tend to stay with their enthusiast ownders these days.

As stated, Carcoat Damphands keeps snapping them up, adding five bag to the price for doing far call & then waits for a gullible Gary...

We've also got the added problem that all assets are back in a bubble, since no-one trusts their currency not to fall through the floor.

Just offer the dealer sensible money for it...he'll be desperate soon.

Have we met "Nasty Nick" :cool::laugh:

There's nout gullible about me.....

Regards,

Gary

AR
10-02-2011, 11:38 PM
I bet they met slick Gary!

TheSebringOne
10-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Does anyone recognise the red targa? There can't be too many in red with a black targa roof?

Midnight Blue
11-02-2011, 02:43 AM
Purple?....not sure and it's miles away in south devon........does anyone on the forum live there to check it out or does anyone have any knowledge of N5X SC?

Mathieu

Midnight Purple Pearl is not really a shade of purple as most people imagine. It's a very dark blue metallic which looks superb in the sunlight and almost black at night. Thankfully, it never looks purple.

Andy

matpp
11-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Does anyone recognise the red targa? There can't be too many in red with a black targa roof?

Reg N11 NSX.....car bought and used in the midlands until 2008....4 owners

Papalazarou
11-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Just had a look at the infamous eBay car. Funny how things change. The Not too distant £22K selling price of that car was similar money-wise to what I paid for my first NSX five years ago; red 96 targa low 40s. Almost identical car.
Seems to me like the new vendor wants the grossly inflated price but cannot even be bothered to post any good pictures. That's well in the realms of facelift money. Clearly he's insane. Reminds me of that midnight blue auto that spent about three years on AT at £30K.
Perhaps that's not a bad strategy. If he leaves it on long enough, he might actually get close to the asking price. I'm thinking 2020? Wondering whether there'll be any fuel left by then?

Cheers,

James.

Nick Graves
13-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Have we met "Nasty Nick" :cool::laugh:

There's nout gullible about me.....

Regards,

Gary

:D

Tell that to Carcoat Damphands:

Up the grunting at Janet Jackson last Egg ‘n’ Beans, had my apples on a well tooled Doodie Paper with moo, blow and chav until I realised it wasn’t sneezy. Not many Garys want lumps from the pencil pump and this thing would be turding on my curtains for months. That’s why I kept my stanleys in my Crocketts, even as it went for twelve elves and a vole hat. Oh Jennifer, once again you amaze us all with your extraordinary flavours. Strictly.

Casual Gary came twitching around my biscuits last Buble. Seemed drawn to a handsome Cack Lasby I’ve had on my juice pipe since James. Trouble is, the Gary’s only got six crisps in his back slicer when I need two Steves and a drum kit just to kiss my knees. Fortunately I managed to talk him into a big faced Karen I got in just three Geoffs ago. He knocked me down by a weasel, everyone went away sweaty. You know as well as anyone Nigel not to behave like that in Debenhams. Meaty.

Had an old stoat from the Kenny on the Gaga this morgan, desperately looking for a Party sneezer for his Wireless. Wish I could lick your wrists, I said, but every Gary in Britflick is resting his face on those at the mowlam. Called me back within the misby to say he’d found one in T’Pau for a spork under nine williams. That’s at least two Jesus more than it should Trevor. I told him as much but the silly Gareth had already smelt their hair. Suggs. Marie said that ironically most of the real damage was blamed on Nicholas Parsons. Minty

;)

Former owner of N11NSX
03-06-2011, 12:48 PM
I noticed it this morning, was going to post it on here but you've beaten me to it! This is the car N11 NSX, I was hoping to buy for approx £22K.....now on for £35K! Also, the yellow N30 NSX which must have sold for approx £19/20K is now back on PH http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2489027.htm for £25K! Bl**dy traders trying to cash in due to a recent article in Classic and Sportscar! Problem is, their prices don't correlate with the article.

Hi, thought I'd just chip in and just pipe up and say I was a prior owner of N11NSX. (I googled the reg, which I do with some of my old cars just to see what crops up and see if they are still alive). This car is currently on PH being sold by a dealer in Shrewsbury.

Nice car. Sold it basically because it wasn't getting used enough (although with today's weather it would have been out in the sun ;) ). However I will say this, I didn't sell it for anywhere near its current asking price...alot less infact. The guy who bought it off me will attest to that!

Looks like its had a new clutch since and someone's messed with the exhausts (orginals supplied? Would be nice to keep its originality, as I tried to do). But that only amounts to under what? £2K of work?

I thought it maybe handy to post some info on teh car's condition before I sold it, so people know what they are looking at:

At the point of me selling the car had the following blemishes: The nearside rear light lense had a crack in it which I guess may have been fixed (I was quoted £250 IIRC - never got round to it) and it had a few stone chips (few on the bonnet, most were very minor, two larger chips had been touched in with a paint pen - not by me!), as well as a approx 1" vertical scratch on the near side rear quarter above the wheelarch. I think the front bumper had been resprayed at some point due to the fact that there were more blemishes on the bonnet which didn't tally to what would be expected on the bumper i.e the bonnet had more blemishes than the bumper where its usually the reverse (all minor, mainly indentations from insects, but still worthy of pointing out to prospective buyers).

It appeared to already have a chips away style repair across the top of the windscreen, which was embarrassingly pointed out to me. I guess that maybe been caused by a prior owner having a mishap with the targa top. The black "H" logo on the wheel centres was looking a bit tired (wheels were still perfect, no curbing) and the black paint had worn off the wiper arms.

Hopefully the above bodywork blemishes has been left as orginal or repaired properly and not had a chips-away job. As it was mostly a very original and spotlessly clean car (I used to valet cars a long long time ago) that is far too good to be 'tarted up' on the cheap. Cracking car and mechanically sound and maintained up until the point I owned it and at the point of selling would not need much work to make it a perfect concours car. But IMO not worth that asking price on pistonheads, unless its had every single of the above mentioned blemishes repaired properly (not chips-away'ed - regardless of what people say they are an inferior form of paint repair). Or the prices of NSX-Ts has suddenly gone bonkers!

My advice. Haggle! I didn't even pay £25K for it when I purchased it off a local dealer (IIRC owner prior to me traded in for a new Audi TT of all things, who then off loaded the car to an independant dealer).

Oh yes, I need to point out it has an extra keeper on the v5 which actually isn't an owner. The dealer somehow registered it in their name (Zoom Ltd) before selling it to me, so it added an extra keeper. Try getting Swansea to understand/correct that! I provided photocopies of the old V5s with the car when I sold it to prove that it was only registered in the dealer's name for a few weeks (along with various other prior bills, MOTs and receipts that I aquired during ownership), so hopefully this should still present to validate a portion the car's history.

Do I miss it? Hell yes. Just it was no good for long road trips (no room for luggage), too nice to use everyday and it needed more torque/poke to enjoy the handling. I bought a Monaro after that - which proved to be even more impractical. Now settled for a Golf R32 which gets used everyday - does the job nicely.

matpp
08-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi Chris, I didn't expect to hear from you on the forum, particularly as I wasn't too chuffed with you at the end of January!

Let's hope the car finds a proud owner at a realistic price but I tend to agree with James's thread above........around 2020 from this dealer.

Cheers,

Mathieu

N11NSX
07-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Hi Mathieu

I'm not Chris...I'm the owner before him (Alex).

Hope that clears that up. :)

Noted the cars still for sale and in another thread one of the guys have seen it in the flesh and pretty much confirmed the above - good car but needs some haggling to get it back down to a more sensible price ;)

AR
23-06-2012, 10:51 AM
The last few pages show how if something is repeated long enough people begin to accept it as the truth. Staunch supporters of the NSX price increase cartel :-) were criticising a dealer for doing what most owners defend and propagate.

Silver Surfer
23-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Such is human nature....;)

SS

The last few pages show how if something is repeated long enough people begin to accept it as the truth. Staunch supporters of the NSX price increase cartel :-) were criticising a dealer for doing what most owners defend and propagate.

Senninha
23-06-2012, 11:21 AM

SB time again ...

The key difference is that when an individual does this they have usually done what you yourself advocate ... they bought at a price that was acceptable to them. They have then invested in the car to improve its mechanic\cosmetic condition (I recall you posting about £3k worth of service items on your last NSX). They then enjoy their new car until the time comes to part with it. If as is currently the case the market has moved on with its appreciation of this car, and by doing so the retail price has gone up, then they may even recoup some of their investment.

As I'm reading the posts, its that a trader has spotted an opportunity in the market, has buying ability so looks to make a quick return, BUT, the objection people have is that they are not doing what you or I would do which is maintain, correct, replace, improve the car, they are simply adding several £kkk.

The answer of course is for new owners to buy early and wisely, have the maintainence \ issues resolved for the cost of the traders mark-up and be a happy owner.

You're a talented and knowledgeable ex-owner of several NSX. You appear to have the funds so why not do what the traders are doing yourself and at least then everyone can benefit ... current and new owners have a new specialist in the South West, you help reduce the dodgy trader sales, new owners can buy from you with the car corrected.
The NSX is at an age where specialist maintenance is acceptable alongside or even in stead of Main Dealer maintenance, and you make more funds to place that deposit .... just an idea to help improve the overall condition of UK NSX

regards, Paul

havoc
23-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Not sure why you've such a downer on NSX values AR?

Compare current prices with the competition and they're not actually that silly:-
- You can compare NA1 with the 993 as there are a fair number of NA1s around, and overall they're not massively dissimilar. Like-for-like the NA1 is a bargain there.
- You can't compare NA2 with 996 as the NA2 is very rare vs the 996, and the 996 is the current ugly-duckling of the 911 world, whereas the NA2 appears to be the NSX of choice. So NA2's should be more expensive, like-for-like, which they are.
- You COULD compare the NA2 to the 355, certainly the early ones - looks, performance, rarity, etc. And there the NA2 seems about on-par, like-for-like. Despite being much cheaper to run once purchased.
- You could even bring in the 360...a much more common car in the UK than the NA2, and as with the 996 a bit of an ugly-duckling as far as the market is concerned. Again, the NA2 is probably on-par, maybe marginally more expensive.

So my take is that the NA2 is fairly priced in the market, maybe a little strong within the UK market but cheap in the UK vs other RHD markets. And the NA1 (which let's face it isn't THAT different to the NA2 - 20bhp, an extra ratio and slightly nicer seats (perf not ruched - more modern)) is a bit of a bargain.

PS - I saw someone at Caring for Cars advertising a 10+y.o. mid-V8 engine'd kit car for £30k. Nice kit car, but still clearly a kit car, with all the compromises that entails. Could not believe that the market viewed that as worth more than any NA1, really couldn't. But clearly it does, or the owner was taking some very good drugs.

AR
23-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Paul,

10-4 and thanks mate but sadly I have no time for that at the moment. As far as spending let's say I could have bought an 02 plus and when I sold the car I could have spent another 20k to get it just right for me. ( brakes, low comp build, interior bits ) I am a fussy bugger and modding is an addiction.

Havoc,

Not a downer at all. You seem to be getting rarity and performance mixed up in your comparison. Also there is a lot of difference between NA1 and NA2 other than 20 bhp and the bits you mentioned.

Cars under 50k miles etc will always be more desireable to those that want to shift them. I can't understand the uk allergy to car with over 100k! For me having owned or sampled many NSX variants it has to be NA1, non PAS and 02 converted plus FI. Again that is just for me. This mean that if the next NSX does not turn out to be what I want or if it does not come to the UK I will be looking for an early car to mod ( once again ) or a Noble, which had pretty much all I want in a car.

I just really dislike companies who know Fvck all about the NSX touting themselves as experts and trying to muscle the future owners out of an NSX putchase. I said it before, you can't get a tidy NSX for less than 20k GBP and that is regardless of age. There are a few 02 plus that I would not pay that for as further inspection will show they should have been on a v registry. There are some NA1s that are worth that and more, is all on individual basis like with people.

Cheers,

Ary

havoc
24-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Havoc,

Not a downer at all. You seem to be getting rarity and performance mixed up in your comparison. Also there is a lot of difference between NA1 and NA2 other than 20 bhp and the bits you mentioned.

Agree with the rest of your quote but can't agree with this.

Rarity is part of what drives values in the classic/near-classic market (racing pedigree and looks being the other two main drivers, as far as I can see), but (broad-definition) performance is what people look at when buying a non-classic car. The NSX is currently straddling the two markets, and (in the UK, anyway) is rarer than most of it's when-new competition.

Which is why it's slightly confusing that, when the NA1 is firmly entering classic status, it's the NA2 whose values are noticeably increasing. It's got to be the rarity factor piggy-backing off the recognition by the classic market.

(You want an example of silly prices for what you're getting, look at stuff like Healey's, let alone big-name stuff like E-Types, Astons and F-cars. These are firmly now in 'investment' territory, and sadly out of the reach of 99% of the population even if they did want one. I hope the NSX never goes that way, as of all the 'classic' cars it's one of the ones that's crying out to be used, simply because it's so good at what it does.)

PS - what are the key differences in NA2 then - the ones that you'd notice when driving it, as opposed to when working on it?

AR
24-06-2012, 01:14 PM
The PAS, Brakes, torque curve, power delivery dbw, heavier due to reinforcements (95+ ) just in general they feel different as in faster.

Papalazarou
24-06-2012, 03:26 PM
We all know that there is little difference between 3.0's and 3.2's in the power band. It's in the mid range the 3.2 has the advantage. But we also know that by adding headers, system and air filter, these cars perform similarly.
Certainly the changes made to the 02+ coupes; stiffer front suspension, made these cars feel different.
Tyres and wheels obviously change the way a car feels quite significantly, but obviously all these can be changed.
TBO, every NSX I have driven (about 15) have performed differently on the road; subtleties in the way they handle, power curve, gearbox etc. largely dependent on the way they've been driven I guess. Add to this the way our perception differs day to day; sometimes my car feels super tight and responsive, other times it feels a bit sluggish, and things become even more ambiguous.
I'm not trying to talk myself out of a late 3.2 car; I like the bug lights, facelift wheels, the perforated leather and the healthier mid range. I am fully aware that for most people these differences are purely aesthetic. But in answer to Martins question, these aesthetics For many people are where the heart of the preference lie.
Many potential owners are 'perhaps' drawn to the classic status with an update modern look. Same car, but newer and newer looking. One might argue that Hondas refusal to meaningfully update the car has created two different markets. One for those who prefer the classic styling and appreciate the relative affordability of the older cars and another for those wanting an updated look on the classic platform and who are willing or able to pay for it.

Cheers,

James.

havoc
24-06-2012, 09:32 PM
One might argue that Hondas refusal to meaningfully update the car has created two different markets. One for those who prefer the classic styling and appreciate the relative affordability of the older cars and another for those wanting an updated look on the classic platform and who are willing or able to pay for it.

Cheers,

James.

I won't argue with that.

For me, the 'sweet spot' is probably the one I haven't driven - NA2 w/pop-ups - classic looks with the enhancements. But they were just out of my budget when I was looking (I did briefly consider P27, but I'm not a fan of NIOP), and they most certainly are now. Ah well...there's always the lottery win! ;)