PDA

View Full Version : looking at purchasing first NSX

Neilt
25-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi all

First post here, and in short I've got my current car (2007 RS4) up for sale and looking to purchase my first NSX - always fancied one!

Something along these lines would do http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2417852.htm

As a complete NSX beginner Im really after some pointers when looking at one, and also some idea of running costs.

Any pointers appreciated

cheers

Neil

nobby
25-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi Neil

Welcome to the forum, and great to hear you are looking at an NSX. Took the plunge myself last may/june time and loving it! :)

In terms of beginner, know the feeling, but you have come to the right place. First off my advice is get some reading done. Go to the Prospective new owner questions (http://nsxcb.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?32-Prospective-new-owner-questions) link and start there. it will give various links to sources etc, like NSXPRIME (US site) etc. There is good information there on what to look for in these cars.

Next bit of advice (whether you are mechanically minded or not) is to review Kaz's Health Check thread along with Sudesh's NSX Refresh thread in the Technical section of this forum. This will give you an insight into all the potential issues you may face on your purchase, and also give you indication on what to ask the current owner and be sure to check in all the documentation etc. I am not great at this sort of stuff, but I find it very interesting to read, and you defo do pick up on things. with a bit of research and asking questions on here when you come to viewing an NSX you will have a good idea what to look for and ask

my advice if you are going to look at this car, is get someone to go with you, even ask on here if someone is close by etc, if you can manage to do this you will not go far wrong. General comments on the car so far on here on the one you are looking for appears favourable, but dont discount the 2 yellow cars ... both look every bit as good and good service history with both. I drive a yellow car myself, having seen one in the flesh yellow looks well on an NSX. Generally I hate the colour but it changed my outlook!

Hope this helps, no doubt others will respond, but key thing is get reading and know what you are buying. Other thing to remember is PARTS. Prices range from the sensible to the RIDICULOUS, and most are in the latter category. It is a Honda but when things go wrong its NOT pleasant, so be sure to have a slush fund for any potential purchase and works that may need done with parts etc. Just to give you an indication of price, front wing for an NA1 (like the red car) is over 2300 quid to replace. :(

with regards to running costs (aside from any remedial work to be done), general servicing and maintenence can be done on this car, every 6k or so. Tyres on rear can wear down based on driving style and usage; average life is anywhere from 5-10k but it all depends on YOU! Road Tax and insurance are favourable and in terms of the old 'go go juice' its based on how you drive ... generally i find the car fairly decent on MPG's. I would say not much harder to run than your RS4!

Good luck with your NSX hunt, and hopefully you purchase and become an active member

regards

NSXGB
25-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Here's some good info:
http://nsxcb.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?32-Prospective-new-owner-questions
:wink:

Hi all

First post here, and in short I've got my current car (2007 RS4) up for sale and looking to purchase my first NSX - always fancied one!

Something along these lines would do http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2417852.htm

As a complete NSX beginner Im really after some pointers when looking at one, and also some idea of running costs.

Any pointers appreciated

cheers

Neil

NSXGB
25-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Also, where are you located?
There may be someone local to you who could show you round theirs....

Hagasan
25-01-2011, 01:32 PM
I think the car in your link seems pretty good value in the current climate so if you are serious I'd make attempts to view it...I have a 96 manual targa with 53k on the clock.....Would love an RS4 as my beefed up daily 4 door. Is it in the nice blue colour they do?

Good luck in your search....friendly bunch on here and at meets....

Sudesh
25-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Hi and welcome to the club!

Love the RS4 especially the avants!

On the NSX, well really you get what you pay for, guess like anything. A few main things I would ask about when buying

1. Timing Belt service, when was it last done and what exactially was changed in that
2. Coolant Hose Service, when was it done or any record of it being done, more than likely not.
3. Clutch, any details records on that
4. Drive shafts, check the boots are all ok and no signs of leaking, listen to hear if there is any excessive clunks when start stopping
5. Check A/C is working, some know faults with these and depending on the exact problem, can be expensive to repair
6. If you like the OEM sound system then check all is working and sounds ok, no hissing or crackling from the speakers and head unit works.

The list of things to check depends on how fussy you are and can go on quite a bit, but thats coming from myself, and I see a bit more when working on these cars!

I guess after that check overall condition and look out for any signs of accident damage especially chassis damage.

To be honest have a look through the technical forums and start reading lol Although its a Honda and quite reliable, the problem lies in when things go wrong to which can be very expensive to repair and the prices for parts are not cheap, infact they get more expensive every year lol. Used parts can be hard to find too.

As Andrew said, check the US site also, but keep in mind specs of the car can and do differ between LHD and RHD and each country.

Sudesh
25-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I think the car in your link seems pretty good value in the current climate so if you are serious I'd make attempts to view it...I have a 96 manual targa with 53k on the clock.....Would love an RS4 as my beefed up daily 4 door. Is it in the nice blue colour they do?

Good luck in your search....friendly bunch on here and at meets....

Would have to agree! Without actually inspecting the car, it does look good value.

Visually from what I can see straight off, I would color code the targa roof, thats if its not just wrapped in vinyl and all you need to do is peel it off which would be handy. Also I would replace the over mats.

From the add, it looks like a combination of old/new pics, one pic shows rear park sensors [not oem] another doesnt, unless its my poor old eyesight playing tricks lol

AR
26-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Would have to agree! Without actually inspecting the car, it does look good value.

Visually from what I can see straight off, I would color code the targa roof, thats if its not just wrapped in vinyl and all you need to do is peel it off which would be handy. Also I would replace the over mats.

From the add, it looks like a combination of old/new pics, one pic shows rear park sensors [not oem] another doesnt, unless its my poor old eyesight playing tricks lol

Spot on, the Targa IIRC is OEM, as I've seen a few with a black top, it's like a textured type paint.

The rear bumper perhaps was done to help when parking in tight areas? Best way is to ask why was it done, and who did the work. BTW A rear bumper skin is not that much.

Sudesh
26-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Spot on, the Targa IIRC is OEM, as I've seen a few with a black top, it's like a textured type paint.

The rear bumper perhaps was done to help when parking in tight areas? Best way is to ask why was it done, and who did the work. BTW A rear bumper skin is not that much.

Ary, a brand new rear bumper face is £1591.50!!

AR
26-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Second hand Sudesh LOL!

Sudesh
27-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Second hand Sudesh LOL!

I wondering on that last comment lol.

Used is hard to find still, and probably cost around £400+++ for a good one, then painting and fitting still around £650++

AR
27-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Still not too bad as the car is reasonably priced.

Lankstarr
27-01-2011, 03:13 PM
If anyone needs to do this try and get a JDM bumper as it is one piece and does not contain the horrible number plate insert adapter for UK plates, a small NSX plate and you're sorted!

m666 edd
27-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Like I've said before, I'd eventually like a us/jdm rear bumper to replace the horrible afterthought.