View Full Version : Lower Windscreen Moulding Clips...

NSXGB
11-01-2011, 08:39 PM
After removing the lower front windscreen moulding for some work I noticed that most of the clips are rattling due to one or more of the legs having been broken off.
Just wondering whether anyone knows of a generic clip available before I part with £5.24 for each of the 8 clips I need?
PN: 74207-SL0-000 (http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/oem/acura~clip~fr~windshield~lower~74207-SL0-000.html)

Part #17 here
http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=8&productID=5&yearID=13&doorID=2&gradeID=93&areaID=1&transmissionID=1&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=8&idAndImageID=1366%20223470&isBigPicture=False

Sudesh
11-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Believe thats a fairly common trait, and they usually break or deform when removing the moulding. Even with extreme care it's a hard one to do without some loss of clips.

I certainly dont know of any generic clip available? But something that just popped into my head is, maybe contact the likes of "Auto Glass" as see what they use?
Quite possible they have a source or maybe they just use new Honda clips.

After removing the lower front windscreen moulding for some work I noticed that most of the clips are rattling due to one or more of the legs having been broken off.
Just wondering whether anyone knows of a generic clip available before I part with £5.24 for each of the 8 clips I need?
PN: 74207-SL0-000 (http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/oem/acura~clip~fr~windshield~lower~74207-SL0-000.html)

Part #17 here
http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=8&productID=5&yearID=13&doorID=2&gradeID=93&areaID=1&transmissionID=1&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=8&idAndImageID=1366%20223470&isBigPicture=False

NSXGB
11-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Yes Sudesh I was going to take a drive down the Autoglass depot tomorrow just to see what they have.
Found this site which does everything but... http://www.rejel.com/category/86.aspx
Guess the NSX is too low volume...

greenberet
12-01-2011, 03:09 PM
What's the best way to try to remove the lower front windscreen molding? All the Service Manual says is, "Remove the windshield lower molding, hood seal and air scoop by prying off the trim clips and removing the screws." I could just pry the molding off and replace whatever breaks, but there has to be a better way. Is it best to push the molding in and then try to slide it up, insert a flat screwdriver somewhere to disengage a clip, or do something else?

NSXGB
12-01-2011, 07:56 PM
To remove the trim I carefully levered from the top of the trim outwards, then you push the trim downwards to release the bottom. There are 8 clips, they come away easily but it's not that part of the process which damages the clips.
The clips stay attached to the body when you remove the moulding but to re-fit the moulding it looks like you have to remove the clips from the body and mate them to the trim and then snap it into place on the body. The clips are damaged when they are removed from the body. I found this even when trying to be careful with a screwdriver, they have just got too brittle after 18 years.
That's just my take on it, I did not look at the manual as I did not envisage it being a complicated procedure.
HTH.

Kaz-kzukNA1
12-01-2011, 11:08 PM
As others mentioned, it is best to push down at the top edge of the moulding along the windshield surface towards the Air scoop.

Then, try to pry out the bottom edge of the moulding to release it from the yellow clip.

These are the photos that I used in another post when britlude was doing similar process.
(Seems like code config is different in the 'Forum' section compared to the 'Blog' one so couldn't display them properly.
Using [img] code will display them however, the width x height config was not enabled and thus, they were displayed in full size so decided not to use it.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6411 6412 6409

As NSXGB mentioned, the tiny notch at the square/cubic area will be damaged when you try to pry it out from the body work.

Best to keep some spares before you start working on your NSX.

Regards,
Kaz

greenberet
13-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Thank you very much, gentlemen!

Nick Graves
13-01-2011, 07:44 PM
I think you'll probably find Autoarse just snap the clips & glue them back with mastic.

Sadly, most "fitters" are misdescribed.

NSXGB
13-01-2011, 09:09 PM
I think you'll probably find Autoarse just snap the clips & glue them back with mastic.

Sadly, most "fitters" are misdescribed.
You are probably right Nick....now there's an idea........ :)

nikey22
13-02-2011, 03:27 PM
The outer edge of the lower winshield molding is actually rubber.. It can deform very easily and comes back to its shape quit easily too. I used 2 popsicle sticks (or better yet, the sticks that doctors make you say "aaaaahhh" with) about 2.5cm apart, you'll have to work blindly but you know your in the right spot when the popsicle stick feels like a spring against the wings of the clips.. once both sticks are in position, pull the other tip of the popsicle sticks away from the windshield simultaneously and it slides right out. Takes practice, but its easy, by the 8th one, you'll feel you can do a hundred more!

A.S. Motorsport
23-02-2011, 07:45 PM
might have a few of those lying around ill have a quick look,