PDA

View Full Version : New member

Chazzi
06-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Hello to all.

I have been looking through the forums for a little while, pondering various things as I have been donated an NSX!

A friend of mine moved to HK a couple of years ago, with plans to come back, but is now unsure when he is going to return. He had his NSX on a member of my family's driveway to keep it off the road, but this was beginning to cause problems and due to his uncertainty of returning to the UK has given the car to me! :eek:

Trying to give him some dosh for the car is near impossible, so my intention is to tidy it up a little, run it as my car to enjoy it and should he return, see if he wants it back -we'll see.....

It needs a little spit and polish, a good service and most likely some new wheels. ALB light is indicating I need to clean the braking system out too. Car is a '91 auto - I prefer to do my own work on my cars, so hopefully things should not be too tricky to do on the NSX.

One thing I am struggling with is the new wheels. With the staggered fitment it is a PITA to find wheels and tyres to match. I really fancy a style like the Momo Corse in silver 17 & 18", but they are only available in black. Other options are Works Varienza T1S (too expensive and too big -no 17") Linea Corse Dyna (again, too big), Finichi Monza (too narrow -7.5") or Konig Runaway (Correct sizes, but Spokes a little thick). I may go for the Momo in black (17 x 7.5 & 18 x 8) or Konig Runaway (17 x 7 & 18 x 9 -if available). Any thoughts on these?

I was also looking at Toyo T1R tyres, or RE050A if available on a suitable size for the rear (I have the RE050A front tyres from the old wheels in 215/40-17 in good cond. rears I think are 295/35-18 (i think) -but this size gets a bit pricey and the ones I have are knackered!

Sorry chaps -I appear to be going on a bit now -my fingers are getting tired!

Any thoughts on the above?

Regards, Charlie

Senninha
06-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Welcome via an unusual route into NSX 'ownership'.

As you've been looking through the forum for a while you wil doubtless of come across the threads by Kaz and Sudesh. Both of these area great source of information, particularly as you intend to maintain the NSX yourself. For a small investment in time and money, it may well help for you to book an NSX healthcheck with Kaz from which you will recieve a detailed written report that will prioritise any remedial work your NSX requires.

How long have you owned the NSX now and how many miles have you covered? I ask as you mention the hunt for new wheels. If you've not done many miles then I would encourage you to leave the NSX on standard rims until you've 'played' with its ability.

New rims will be a personal choice, but if you can keep to an OEM look style then they will normally look best on the NSX. A good place to start to get an idea for what works for you would be to check out the Science of Speed website and click NSX then look what they offer to give you ideas.

Whilst you're surfing you could also look at NSXPrime parts for new and used rims. As an example I found and run on a set of 17/18" Enkei's RP02's that have 215/40 and 265/35 Hankook V12 EVO's. I would suggest you check fitment on NA1 calipers as you may need 5mm spacers on the front for a lot of aftermarket wheels.

Your other option would be to source the later 16/17 OEM rims which is popular upgrade for many owners.

All the best and look forward to meeting at one of this years mini-meets or events

regards, Paul

AR
07-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Welcome to the club. How about just getting some Rotas. I know they are cheap but they have improved a lot and have NSX fittments. Good luck in your NSX quest.

AR
07-01-2011, 02:01 AM
Welcome to the club. How about just getting some Rotas. I know they are cheap but they have improved a lot and have NSX fittments. Good luck in your NSX quest.

m666 edd
07-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Welcome.

Out of interest, what wheels does the car currently have? Clearly not oem wheels going by the tyre sizes.

Try and keep the offsets and widths similar to 2002+ spec to maintain intended handling characteristics.

As said already best to research on nsxprime but bear in mind they have a tendency to prefer big flush to arches wheels with stretched tyres rather than something that's good for handling. Depends on your preference.

Chris B N
07-01-2011, 09:00 AM
welcome to the club,
nice way to become a new owner so just enjoy
Chris B N

Rob_Fenn
07-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Welcome. What a nice friend you have!

Not keen on the wheels you have mentioned. The OEM rims are both very light and very expensive, it would be a shame to swap them for something you would see on a Vauxhall Corsa. If cost is an issue, as has been said, Rota do copies of popular Japanese styles such as the Volks VE37. If you're set on modifying the car, i'd suggest visiting the US based NSX Prime which has hundreds of owner cars for you to look at.

Be sure to get some photos up and have fun with your 'new' NSX!

sutats
07-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Welcome Chazzi and congrats on your NSX ownership. It's very nice of your friend to donate his NSX to you but always be aware he might someday come back for it, just one of the surprises of life. In the mean time enjoy it sensibly.

As for the veteran members helping you out. They should know better, please post pics of the wheels you are suggesting as we don't all have rim catalogue memory.

http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/attachments/razors/28705d1249474228-my-new-straight-razor-stand-44789.-thread-completely-useless-without-images-1-.jpg

Chazzi
08-01-2011, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

At present, the car is sat on some 17/18 split rims which have some buckles/tears in them -a fairly useless tyre fitter did some damage by all accounts!!

I have been weighing up the options of getting these repaired or getting some new wheels. At present, the rear tyres need replacing and due to the width, they are quite pricey, so I am intending to change the wheels so that I can run 215/40-17 front and 265/35-18 rear. Offsets I intend to try and keep so that the inner contact point of the tyre with the ground at the same location so that the roll centre is unaffected although in all my searching, there may have to be a little compromise depending on wheels availability. I have done a bit of reading on prime, but as you say, they do have a tendency to go for looks rather than handling -something that does not entirely appeal to me.

AR -sorry don't know your name -good call with the Rotas. They do have many "similar" designs to other wheel manufacturers including one which I am looking for. They also offer quite afew different fitments. I plan to take the day off on wednesday to go and pick up some wheels from a dealer in Devon for trial fitment. Once I see how they fit, I will order the sizes to give me closest to OEM positions, but maintaining clearances. Reading about the Rotas, people who have actually used them seem to like them -it appears that it is only people who suffer a bit with wheel snobbery who don't like them (perhaps because they have paid much more for a "similar" design???)

On a note about my rather generous friend, he is a really top bloke. I offered to sell the car for him in his absence, but he just wanted to get rid of it as I think it was becoming a bit of a burden. He initially offered to give me the car and I declined, telling him "not to be daft" and I could sell it for him, but after he was going to give the car away to somebody else, I thought that I could run the car for a while and see if he comes back. I am not entirely sure if he does return if he would like to have the car back, but my intention is to tidy the thing up, and maintain it, should he want to have it back (If he does return), I hope that he would consider it reasonable that he just pay for any costs to bring the car up to scratch.

I will post some pics once the weather improves a bit -I have to get the wheels sorted and then get the MOT done before using the car, so will keep you all updated if you are interested.

08-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Hi there and welcome to the Forum!

You will soon find out this is one of the best places to seek advice on the beloved NSX's!

Take care,

Andy

AR
08-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Here you go Chazzi here is a post on the US NSX forum with some Rota Wheels and their NSX fittments:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1144553&postcount=1

Cheers,

AR

Sudesh
08-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi and welcome to the club!

That was an interesting read and your a very lucky man.

I'm not the best person when it come to giving advise on wheels as I like the OEM 7 spokes. Having changed my 7 spokes recently for a set of enkies [similar to early NSX-R] I then went back to the original wheels again lol

You said your car was auto so the following would depending on what your after.

As the auto cars have less performance then maybe best to look for a set of wheels that are light, so you can gain the most from that car in that area. I know it may not be the allot but would be some help. Best setup is probably OEM 16/17 or facelift 17 all round, being that your car has EPS, then weight of front wheels wont matter as much.

If performance isnt an issue then I guess you could go with any setup.

Is NSX 50 the plate on the car? If so thats also a bonus! Very nice number too.

So you have a JDM, Charlotte Green Auto?

TheSebringOne
09-01-2011, 12:57 AM
Welcome to the club. You must be one of the luckiest owners (part owner) around, especially
with the NSX being quite rare these days. Enjoy it and post some pictures soon.

SILVER BULLET
09-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Welcome to our friendly club Chazzi,nice to see another member in the South West . Where in Devon are you going to view the wheels ?

Cheers,

Ian

NSX 2000
09-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Hi Chazzi and welcome to the club.

I had Rota wheels on my 2000MY NSX and I was very impressed with them.

Welcome to our friendly club Chazzi,nice to see another member in the South West . Where in Devon are you going to view the wheels ?

Cheers,

Ian

Ian at a guess from the main importer of Rota wheels who are based in Devon, it's run by a couple of young guys, they do this to run their driffting habit :D They really knew their stuff and all the weird specs that Japanese perfermance cars have (ie all the weird off sets).

Paul

Chazzi
10-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Yes -Rota Wheels UK appear to be linked/are the same company as Rare Rims -based in Crediton. Spoke to them a couple of days back to arrange "borrowing" of a couple of wheels, - after having another rare-ish car that I got wheels for afew years back, I like to to test wheel fittings to check all the clearances before I order them.

I will try and do the car justice chaps, I promise. Although I did not directly purchase the car, I am a big fan. I am just not in a position where I could have spent that amount of my money on a car. Biggest shame of it all is that the car is an auto -my generous friend had suggested looking at a manual conversion, but in all my reading, this does not appear to be simple -possibly the hardest thing is finding all the parts. If I were to do it, I would do it myself, but not sure what the overall budget would be once all is bought and sold that can be.

As they say though, beggars can't be choosers....

Oh - Sudesh, it does have an NSX plate, but not the one you mention. Colour is black.

AR
10-01-2011, 02:12 AM
Chazzi check out the link I posted above, lots of good info on offsets.

Chazzi
10-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the link -they are the offsets listed on another thread on prime for the G-Force model. I do want to trial fit the design that I am interested in so that I can perhaps bring the wheels inbound a little closer to the stock offsets pending on the caliper clearance to the spokes. I will let you know how it goes.