PDA

View Full Version : Killed the car

Papalazarou
22-12-2010, 08:21 AM
I took part in a charity track event at Castle Combe in October. Unfortunately, it got pretty wet and although it was quite predictable halfway through the afternoon sessions I hit a slippery part of the track, went into a four wheel slide which became snap oversteers. I was able to correct it but ran out of room and touched the end of the pit wall.
Initial assessment of the car didn't look too bad. After bending the wing out I drove home and to honest the car felt fine.
Further assessment revealed a slightly bent chassis leg. (£6500.00 each!).
A couple of weeks later the estimate stood at over £30K, at which point the insurance company pulled the plug and payed me out.
The car was auctioned yesterday, but went too high to make it viable to repair. If I owned an aluminium welder and knew what I was doing it would have been worth the effort.
So I feel like I have some closure now the car is sold.
Anyway, I am writing this for a couple of reasons. Firstly, to wish the new owner luck in the repair if that's what they do.
Second. As a record. This is no reflection on the new owner but we all know what can happen a few owners down the line. Especially as this car was unrecorded.
So goodbye GX52 ZGU.
Chassis number will follow.

Cheers,

James.

Justin
22-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Really sorry to hear that James. How does insurance work under those circumstances? Was it event insurance; an does that mean that you retain your NCD?

Dave J
22-12-2010, 09:19 AM
We thought that was your car, really sorry to see it come to such an unfortunate end :(.
I was going to have a bid of around ten ish but thought it'd probably end up going for more so never bothered, do you know what she fetched on the end bid?
As long as you are fine then this is all that ever matters, you can always find another car.
Dave.

Papalazarou
22-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Really sorry to hear that James. How does insurance work under those circumstances? Was it event insurance; an does that mean that you retain your NCD?

Thanks Justin,

I had event insurance, so it won't affect my NCB. The toughest thing is going to be finding another NSX.

Cheers,

James.

NoelWatson
22-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Unfortunately, it got pretty wet and although it was quite predictable halfway through the afternoon sessions I hit a slippery part of the track, went into a four wheel slide which became snap oversteers. I was able to correct it but ran out of room and touched the end of the pit wall.

Sorry to hear that - I almost crashed my R26.R on the sharp right a bit further on earlier this year - I am too scared to take NSX on the track - one prang and it is going to hurt. Good luck with hunt for a new one.

Papalazarou
22-12-2010, 09:37 AM
We thought that was your car, really sorry to see it come to such an unfortunate end :(.
I was going to have a bid of around ten ish but thought it'd probably end up going for more so never bothered, do you know what she fetched on the end bid?
As long as you are fine then this is all that ever matters, you can always find another car.
Dave.

Thanks Dave,

It could have been much worse. The car sold for £14.5K. I would have paid £11K.

Cheers,

James.

m666 edd
22-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss James. I had no idea this had happened.

Hope it isn't getting you down. Just don't get another LBB NSX as that's maybe 2 less in the UK now! ;)

Ed

Boomin33
22-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Wow. make that a big unexpected Wow!!. Other than ' At least you didn't take a knock yourself'

... Not sure what to say...

how about "good you had insurance?" for starters; I didn't when I took to the track... and you were far more reserved than I, on the day.

In the end, it's a good one down. You must be gutted. ..but jeez, dude... we let your take one of our daughters out on a cheap date and look at the state you brought her back in! :doh:

-----

Cash is King right now & you just got a wedge... With January/Feb around the corner, you might be able to go whack some desperate soul on the head with that wedge... walk off with a nice deal.

NSXGB
22-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Good that you're ok James.
Shame about the car but at least you were insured & they paid out. Which insurance company was it with?

WhyOne?
22-12-2010, 10:34 AM
James, sorry to hear this, but the main thing is you are OK.

Looking on the bright side, you can now look forward to looking for & choosing a new car, whatever it may be, at your leisure.

All the best,

Ian.

Chris B N
22-12-2010, 10:38 AM
sorry to hear about the car James main thing is you are OK and secondly insurers paid out. What will the replacement be !!!!
best wishes Chris

nobby
22-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Awful, awful news. really gutted for you mate. :( Depressing reading for sure ...

On the upside, key thing is you are OK, and you were covered with event insurance! Phew! I am sure its some consolation in the fact that you are NOT totally out of pocket re this event

I hope you are able to source another NSX that fits your requirements. Its sad to see another facelift go, but thats life I guess. :no: Really hope you are able to stay within the NSX community.

It's a fairly hefty price to pay for the car in the damaged auction thats for sure. Lets hope if it is being fixed it goes to someone who seriously knows what they are doing and can do the car justice.

When you read stuff like this, I really am fortuante to come away from the Nurburgring this year intact considering it was my first time there and first ever time tracking an NSX! It does make me consider going back next year that much more carefully when you read stuff like this.

Onwards and upwards, good luck in your search and I hope a lovely NSX is found.

regards

goldnsx
22-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. :eek:

If the the car was hit on the left fender how can this result in a bent arm? You've mentioned that it drove ok after the incident. Was the steering wheel ok or out of horizontal position?

markc
22-12-2010, 12:40 PM
That's a real shame James :(

The damage, although not insignificant, is actually pretty small and I'm sure the car will ride again. This small level of damage will have a short term dip in the cars value but IMHO in another 20-30yrs time i.e. in the classic market, it will be seen as insignificant and barely effect it at all so it could be a great buy for a someone with (very) long term ownership in mind.

I'm a long time track day'er and did Coombe once in the past, many years ago in my old Scirocco GLi. Of the circuits I've attended track days in the past, Castle Coombe is on my no go list these days along with Brands Hatch and Oulton Park. They all have barriers too close for comfort.

Noel, my chosen "safe" circuits are Silverstone, Donnington and Bedford Autodrome. The latter is a little dull (flat) but it is very safe as regards potentially bending your p&j. I'd also go back to Thruxton and Snetterton although both of these have dangerous sections. Of course assuming your pushing on a bit no circuit is completely safe, but it shouldn't stop you enjoying your car in extremis and is indeed the only responsible way to do so.

Nobby, I'd say the Nurburgring is different again (I've been there twice). Firstly it's no longer a circuit per se and particularly on public days can be highly dangerous due to the extremely varied machinery and skill levels! It can and should be safe but it's very much up to you to A) not try too hard and B) stay out of the way of the idiots.

James, good luck finding a new ride. An LBB facelift shouldn't be too difficult as most of the facelift cars seemed to come in this colour ;)

One other thing James, this incident might not effect your NCB but it will effect your premium. Insurance risk assessment statistics say that if you have an incident of ANY kind you're more likely to have another in the near future. Ohh and I'm blaming you if my insurance on the NSX goes up this year ;)

Cheers

Mark

AR
22-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Sorry to hear this James, glad you are OK.

No doubt the buyer will be either a missinformed or b speculator.

Soonish to join to ask for parts etc and then onto PH as a pristine car!

sutats
22-12-2010, 01:22 PM
The most important thing is that you're okay and nobody else was hurt.

It's good that you enjoyed the NSX how it was meant to be enjoyed all round. You'll find something even better, we always do.

NoelWatson
22-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Noel, my chosen "safe" circuits are Silverstone, Donnington and Bedford Autodrome.

I almost came a cropper at Silverstone trying to avoid crashing into the back of a tarted up Civic driven at pedestrian speeds!

My thinking is that the Renault is (almost) dispensable, and a small crash should be repairable. The NSX is neither of those, and I wouldn't enjoy driving it hard on a circuit with those thoughts in my mind. Conversely, the Renault is driven like it has been stolen (I am probably guilty of over driving it - which tends to be pretty slow, and eats 888s) - although I always leave ESP on.

havoc
22-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Sh't James, very sorry to hear that. Do you think you'll go for another NSX or something different?

My thinking is that the Renault is (almost) dispensable, and a small crash should be repairable. The NSX is neither of those, and I wouldn't enjoy driving it hard on a circuit with those thoughts in my mind. Conversely, the Renault is driven like it has been stolen
Very similar to my views on the 'teg/NSX.

I'm still considering taking the NSX to Spa and the 'ring as a double-header, but I'm conscious that I'll have just this scenario in the back of my mind, and as a result might not enjoy myself as much...my little yellow peril already had one lucky-escape at the 'ring before I bought her (cosmetic only thankfully - small dent to n/s/r wing plus new light cluster + bumper)!

markc
22-12-2010, 04:19 PM
I would contend that you probably have more control over your own cars safety on a circuit than on the public road.

Provided you chose the Trackday organisation, type of event and circuit carefully, and drive within your own limits (that's not a pop at Papa) you should be fine. Pick an event where vehicles of broadly similar performance are invited (no racecars etc), drivers are grouped according to vehicle performance and experience, and driving standards are enforced. Personally I avoid airfields due to debris (stones) but others prefer them for the wide open spaces, nothing to hit but the odd cone even if you try, they afford.

On the public road you're at the mercy of many more poor, even incompetent drivers, coming at you from all directions and at different speeds and that's just driving normally. Try finding somewhere to go a bit faster and you have all that and the unpredictable nature of an unclosed road, diesel spill, mud, dozy sheep/pheasant/cow/dog/cat, horse rider, tractor, roadworks, pot hole etc etc

Having said all that if/when I ever finish the Westfield it will be my track day car of choice. Not for fear of damaging the NSX but because it'll be soo much cheaper to run (brakes/tyres).

Cheers

Mark

Sudesh
22-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Glad to hear your ok James and sorry to hear about the NSX...........Hopefully you'll find another one at some point, could be difficult enough finding another LBB car?

Papalazarou
22-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys,

I will be on the lookout for another late model car.
If i find one it will be my fourth. Seems strange to stick to one car when there's so much other stuff out there. But the NSX makes sense to me. Unlike the three months of 997 ownership last winter.
Mark, you may be right about my premium. If it does Go up, I'll get a collection organised, I've just increased the value of all your cars;-)

I'll also be on the lookout for a cheap track car. Probably a DC2 or similar. Can't face the stress of killing my PAJ again.
I think the toughest thing was driving it back in gridlock on the M4/5. Within minutes of getting on the motorway, the car infront of me rear ended the mondeo she was following.
Not a good day, but a few important lessons; 1. I can crash a car. 2. Don't track you PAJ on a wet track with no run-off. 3. Buy a cheap expendable track car. 4 and perhaps most important; if you crash an NSX there's a pretty big chance you've written it off.
GoldNSX, I bent the nearside chassis leg because I clipped the corner of the bumper which kinked the rail. Will post some pics soon.

On the plus side, I got my 02 wheels off it, so at least I'll have something to put the snow tyres on;-0

Cheers,

James

NSXGB
22-12-2010, 07:17 PM
What about that fresh brake setup?!

Papalazarou
22-12-2010, 07:37 PM
What about that fresh brake setup?!

At home with the tubi, iPod connector and some other stuff.

Cheers,

James.

NSXGB
22-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Good work.

TheSebringOne
22-12-2010, 08:57 PM
James, very sorry to hear of your lost. Good luck in your search for another one. I assume you are going for another LBB?

nationofzeros
22-12-2010, 09:16 PM
James, really sorry to hear about his episode but at least you are OK

If it is any comfort, I managed to put my NSX backwards into a fence at Elvington of all places, which took some doing. I was lucky in that the damage was superficial to cosmetic , to the rear bumper only in essence. Most embarassing at the time especially as the previouas owner was watching !

I must admit that I am more circumspect now as I don't think it takes all that much to total an NSX as your incident demonstrates. To this end I bought a Lotus 340R as a track day terror, but if this goes off the financial consequences are probably just as horrendous, so perhaps the best way is to buy a track day only stripped out & balanced hot hatch and justenjoy it !

Good luck in the hunt for a nice 'new' one

Chris

Papalazarou
22-12-2010, 09:21 PM
James, very sorry to hear of your lost. Good luck in your search for another one. I assume you are going for another LBB?

Pretty open to colour really, but would prefer a facelift car. Somewhere out there is a LBB targa. Unless it's been squished?!
I had considered a GTR or a Boxster Spyder, but I guess if I'd really wanted one I'd have signed on the dotted line by now.

Cheers,

James.

Silver Surfer
22-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Very sad to hear the loss of a very nice NSX....:(
Glad you were OK and financially recompense.

Ary's got 02+ look alike to sell for less than £30K. ;)

SS

Papalazarou
22-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Very sad to hear the loss of a very nice NSX....:(
Glad you were OK and financially recompense.

Ary's got 02+ look alike to sell for less than £30K. ;)

SS

Come on Ary, let's see some pic's with the 02 wheels!

Cheers,

James.

AR
22-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Come on Ary, let's see some pic's with the 02 wheels!

Cheers,

James.

Sounds like you could have a car with two sets of 02 plus James. :)

Was hoping to take some pictures today, but spent six hour emptying the pit that was close to 4 feet full of water! A pipe burst, so more lagging due tomorrow! Broke my liquid transferpump and nearly broke my back :(

At the moment I have about a foot of snow in front of the garage!

Silver Surfer
22-12-2010, 11:55 PM
At the moment I have about a foot of snow in front of the garage!

I'm sure the car had a snow plough on the front the last time I looked. ;):laugh:

SS

jaytip
23-12-2010, 01:42 PM
As above,sorry to hear that James,but glad you are ok,and not out of pocket.

Regards,

Ivor.

Nick Graves
23-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Sh it James,

Really sorry to read it.

It IS the problem with cars of unusual construction & with riduculous parts prices. The chassis legs are DESIGNED to kink to absorb the impact.

Hopefully, the new owner will do a full photographic rebuild, so the car will be back to 98% of its former glory, rather than turning into another one of those horrors on ShadyTrader...

If it's any consolation, repair costs for the R35 GTR are beyond stupid; how about 11 large for a new bonnet assembly, because the anti-Darwin device blows the old on up if you even crack the front bumper? Then all the ECUs must be changed, too...

Good luck in your search for a new toy. I think you're right getting yet another bloody NSX.

Think I'll stick to abusing the S2000 on trackdays...

Rob_Fenn
23-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Sorry to hear the news. The last corner at Combe has caught many a cropper! I've raced their twice and was hit twice!

Good luck finding another NSX. A nice facelift is like finding a hen's tooth at the moment!

AR
23-12-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm sure the car had a snow plough on the front the last time I looked. ;):laugh:

SS

Should have reversed parked it LOL!!!

Dragonlady
23-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Just spotted this, absolutely gutted for you, your car was stunning.
At least you are fine which is the most important thing, the car is only metal and it saved you from injury.
Good luck in your hunt for a new motor, if Ary does sell his......keep your hands off I want first shout:D

Regards Ian

Hagasan
23-12-2010, 06:05 PM
As said by all, sorry to hear of your bump and subsequent departure of the car.....Glad your ok though...

Regarding the insurance issue. As it was track based insurance, is there any way that the incident can/should affect your road insurance? I would have thought the two issues are completely seperate. I would not feel the need to declare this incident to my road car insurance as it has absolutely nothing to do with any road skills or previous claims on the road. Just because there is a car involved is of no relevence. Your road insurance is most probably null & void on the track....unless of course this is a track day extension on a road car policy?

As you like to keep your cars well polish I will happily volunteer my to you to help keep your hand in on the NSX lines while you find your next P&J :D

Chin up,

Gary

Justin
23-12-2010, 06:46 PM
As said by all, sorry to hear of your bump and subsequent departure of the car.....Glad your ok though...

Regarding the insurance issue. As it was track based insurance, is there any way that the incident can/should affect your road insurance? I would have thought the two issues are completely seperate. I would not feel the need to declare this incident to my road car insurance as it has absolutely nothing to do with any road skills or previous claims on the road. Just because there is a car involved is of no relevence. Your road insurance is most probably null & void on the track....unless of course this is a track day extension on a road car policy?

As you like to keep your cars well polish I will happily volunteer my to you to help keep your hand in on the NSX lines while you find your next P&J :D

Chin up,

Gary

I agree with the points on insurance - unless this was a loss when being used as a road car, I don't see how it's relevant to your road insurer. Must be advice on this out there somewhere....

Nick Graves
23-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Really not sure; the question's probably worded "have you suffered any loss or claim within..."

Probably won't affect your premium (yeah right!) but failure to DECLARE it might mean soapy shower time...

I hear some insurers have been loading punters who fit winter tyres, FFS. The industry always surprises in the worst manner.

havoc
23-12-2010, 07:42 PM
I hear some insurers have been loading punters who fit winter tyres, FFS. The industry always surprises in the worst manner.

Yep. Tried to charge us, which we "negotiated down" to a £50 increase in our excess! :angry:

Utter joke - we're reducing their risk, but they want to charge us for it...because the computer classes it as a "modification". And of course the underwriters just see an opportunity to charge an additional fee...

Rob_Fenn
23-12-2010, 08:22 PM
This was on the news. It was a 'mistake' according to the Association of British Insurers and you should demand your money back.

Nick Graves
23-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Mistake.

Bit like that time some ladies' stockings fell onto my head blocking my vision & I accidentally walked into that bank instead of the shotgun repair shop...

Silver Surfer
24-12-2010, 12:20 AM
I wonder whether James car can be 'mixed' with the 'Stolen Recover' NSX to make a 'good' one again?

SS

kowalski
24-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Sorry to hear that James, glad you ok and hope you find another one soon.

leigh

Nick Graves
24-12-2010, 04:38 PM
I wonder whether James car can be 'mixed' with the 'Stolen Recover' NSX to make a 'good' one again?

SS

I think James' only needs some major bodywork to one corner; the rest of it was lovely.

The S/R needs a very LOT of TLC; it may be a potentially a good car, but looks like it needs some work.

Papalazarou
24-12-2010, 08:24 PM
I think James' only needs some major bodywork to one corner; the rest of it was lovely.

The S/R needs a very LOT of TLC; it may be a potentially a good car, but looks like it needs some work.

I think you're right Nick. With all these things, it's just a matter of getting the job done right.
The fact that I drove it home says something about the extent of the damage. Unfortunately when you're paying £1750.00 for a wing, £750 per light and £6.5K for a chassis leg, the cost mounts up pretty quick. A quick breakdown; £22.5K for parts, £1.5K for paint long beach blue pearl anyone! And £5-7K for labour. Oh and vat.
Now I understand the insurers didn't take the figure the car reached at auction and it's back on. I guess they're trying to minimise their losses and achieve a similar figure to the buy back offer; £18-20k!
Personally I think anything over 15K and you've got to really want this car. Especially when you consider an optimistic figure for rebuild costs, you're into high 20's probably low thirties.

Cheers,

James.

WhyOne?
24-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Whilst I accept labour / paint costs are probably pretty much fixed if the job is to be done to a standard which does justice to the car, would it not be possible to source the parts significantly cheaper through our usual sources in the US?

I fully appreciate this has no bearing on insurance quotes, I was just wondering how much it would really cost to repair................

havoc
24-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Now I understand the insurers didn't take the figure the car reached at auction and it's back on. I guess they're trying to minimise their losses and achieve a similar figure to the buy back offer; £18-20k!

They've written it off yet want £18k+ for the salvage?

Talk about optimistic...if they consider it a write-off then arguably anyone paying more than 30-40% (market price of the original car) for salvage is pushing it, as they'll have considered the repair costs to be >60-70% of said market price. And £18k is probably 50% of market price.

I suspect if it doesn't go soon they'll offload it for a knock-down price - probably worth putting in your best offer to them and saying that'll apply for the next few weeks/months (as appropriate). They might get bored and come back to you.

AR
24-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Whilst I accept labour / paint costs are probably pretty much fixed if the job is to be done to a standard which does justice to the car, would it not be possible to source the parts significantly cheaper through our usual sources in the US?

I fully appreciate this has no bearing on insurance quotes, I was just wondering how much it would really cost to repair................

10 to 15 min if you want it right!

Papalazarou
24-12-2010, 10:18 PM

SOS do an 02 front end kit. Alternatively, as you pointed out, there is always quite a lot of second hand parts on Prime. I bet Dirk still has some useful bits locked away, although I haven't heard from him for a while.
My estimate would be £10-12k using second hand oe parts and a bit of DIY labour. Could be wrong though.
The thing that would worry me, would be trying to get the paint right.

Cheers,

James.

markc
24-12-2010, 10:24 PM
It's a classic case of the insurer/repairer relationship being totally screwed up. Of course it isn't £30K of damage BUT as soon as the repairer knows that it's an insurance job they crank up the cost to repair quoting absolute top dollar for every nut, bolt and clip. Manufacturers are complicit in charging stupid amounts for parts, I mean £6.5K for a chassis leg, behave!!!

It is ridiculous but it's the way the motor insurance industry has evolved or rather mutated over time.

Obviously as owners we want a perfect repair to our damaged pride and joy but examples like this explain why insurance is expensive. (Not forgetting uninsured drivers of course)

Don't forget that the salvage value also takes into account the sum of the parts. Engine and gearbox £3K+, Interior £2K, ABS unit £500, suspension arms £500+ per corner, brakes £500... it soon adds up. It may be worth more broken for spares which is a shame :(

Cheers

Mark

AR
24-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Mark way more than that for engine plus gearbox! With my MY99 that was a lot more damaged than James the insurers wanted 7.5K!!!

Any way you slice it you wont get much change out of 12K is it worth 30K? Not to me, knowing that it would be rather difficult to unload.

rocco1
26-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your car,hope youre ok and I am sure you will find another NSX,main thing is youre still here to look for one,all the best.

Senninha
26-12-2010, 11:36 PM

Cheers,

James.

Rebuild it a new color and black out the front and rear bays .... I feel a Lime Green 02 is on the cards!

goldnsx
27-12-2010, 02:53 PM
A guy had two minor crashes and he was capable of fixing it himself. Some labor like painting had to be done by somebody else.

Nick Graves
27-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Insurance market is completely nuts; they insist on using OEM parts which are then over marked-up and the labout cost is raped, usually meaning the car end up thrown together.

They hate rebuilds, so usually ensure the salvage price makes the car uneconomic.

Unless an unscrupulous trader gets it, gives it a 'scientific pump' on a car-o-liner & sells it to a mug as a 'light & easy repair'...

It's alright for some mass-produced crap, but NSXs are getting rare...

markc
27-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Unless an unscrupulous trader gets it, gives it a 'scientific pump' on a car-o-liner & sells it to a mug as a 'light & easy repair'...

I think you're saying much the same as me Nick but as described by James it IS a "light an easy repair", it's just the insurance system making such a meal of it. Would pulling the offending chassis leg straight actually be an unsafe repair? Is this impossible when dealing with aluminium?

Obviously I don't know all the details of the damage but from what we do know this car could, should even, be safely repaired where it would give the next owner lots of reliable miles and smiles.

James, were the bonnet and headlamp damaged?

Cheers

Mark

Nick Graves
27-12-2010, 05:22 PM
I think you're saying much the same as me Nick but as described by James it IS a "light an easy repair", it's just the insurance system making such a meal of it. Would pulling the offending chassis leg straight actually be an unsafe repair? Is this impossible when dealing with aluminium?

Obviously I don't know all the details of the damage but from what we do know this car could, should even, be safely repaired where it would give the next owner lots of reliable miles and smiles.

James, were the bonnet and headlamp damaged?

Cheers

Mark

Ally's more brittle than steel, so I really cannot say (even with seeing it) whether it'd be safe to give it a tug.

I'm the sort who'd sooner straighten and lob jam at a car, since I feel one often does more damage cutting & welding (with corrosion issues where one cannot re-protect it etc) than doing a 'bodged' repair where one tries to maintain as much originality as possible.

If the body & chassis measurement points haven't moved, I'd consider putting a new 1/2 leg on the overhang from a scrapper, if it's possible.

The main issue is the caster unit is on the front of the leg & the rest of the suspension hangs off the back. Ironically, it's probably rotated & is preserving the alignment, so the car feels fine!

But the unscrupulous trader would yank the leg straight & WGAF whether it were safe, or not. By 'packaging' the car with a set of replacement panels (howsoever sourced!) it might look a tempting 'Meccano repair'!

I think if I were in James' unfortunate position, I'd need to take advice from an expert ally repairer. Given the impossibility of replacement, I'd look toward salvage & a DIY repair. But not if the Insurance Co is gonna play silly b uggers over the salvage. Which seems to be exactly where we are.

Dave J
27-12-2010, 07:26 PM
I'd still buy this for myself at sensible money but at around £18k it'd be a non-starter for me! I looked at / discussed this car with another member and quickly decided if it were bought by me it'd have to be sold as 'exactly what it was' ie. damaged / repaired as it'd be wrong, even suicidal to try to pass it off as anything else especially on here!! I'd have been quite happy to pay £10k ish to spend another several grand but to pay £18k then repair i'd stand aside.
Dave.

NoelWatson
28-12-2010, 09:17 AM

Agreed - I know of at least one other person that has struggled with matching paint

markc
28-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Agreed - I know of at least one other person that has struggled with matching paint

But sooner later you're going to have to do it, even if it's just stone chip repair i.e. paint the nose/bumper. Best find a competent paint shop sooner rather than later. :)

Cheers

Mark

markc
28-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Here's an interesting article on repairing aluminium vehicles... http://www.search-autoparts.com/searchautoparts/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=162604

Cheers

Mark

NoelWatson
28-12-2010, 02:33 PM
But sooner later you're going to have to do it, even if it's just stone chip repair i.e. paint the nose/bumper. Best find a competent paint shop sooner rather than later. :)

Cheers

Mark

Certainly sooner in my case - Mr Mugen pointed out some bubbling just aft of the bumper (common apparently) when we were last at Plans. I'm sure I could detect a smile as he thought of the suffering I am going to endure!

Nick Graves
28-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Here's an interesting article on repairing aluminium vehicles... http://www.search-autoparts.com/searchautoparts/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=162604

Cheers

Mark

Brilliant find, Mark.

Since "hardly anyone uses pressure spot-welding" apparently, advice from Honda is probably paramount.

Especially since if one applies too much heat, bits of your car tend to disappear suddenly into a puddle.

Nick Graves
28-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Certainly sooner in my case - Mr Mugen pointed out some bubbling just aft of the bumper (common apparently) when we were last at Plans. I'm sure I could detect a smile as he thought of the suffering I am going to endure!

Just ignore it; unlike steel, Ally oxide is impervious to oxygen so like yer saucepans, it ought to stop at a critical point.

Say it's patina if anyone asks. Over-restoration is so last-year!

sassthathoopie
29-12-2010, 09:56 AM

Cheers

Mark

http://www.ross-packard.co.uk/

Based in New Milton near Bournemouth. I did plenty of research on paintshops in the south. When I arrived for a quote Ross showed me a Fiat/Abarth 500 painted grey with stripes to exactly match the owner's Scuderia Spider 16M that was parked next to it in the car park (in for a tidy up), and the 500 was clearly better than the original. Also in the shop was an immaculate Lamborghini Espada, and a classic Le Mans Aston Martin, and a blower Bentley. To top it off they are a Honda supported paintshop.

The staff are friendly and helpful. Hey even the totty on the front desk is an enthusiast - when dropping me at the station we were discussing her 20,000 miles 'as new' mk1 Fiesta! I'm very pleased with the paint they did for me, achieving a good match. Although Formula Red is easier to work with than Long Beach Blue by the sound of it. The only downside is the cost...

blue5
30-12-2010, 01:20 PM
I was shocked and appalled at the news regarding James car.

Having considered the situation in respect of how few good NSX's are left, surely this is a case for the NSXCB "jury" to decide whether to allow James to buy another one?

Silver Surfer
30-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Err....he only crashed once....everybody is allowed 1 ..no?!

SS

Papalazarou
30-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I was shocked and appalled at the news regarding James car.

Having considered the situation in respect of how few good NSX's are left, surely this is a case for the NSXCB "jury" to decide whether to allow James to buy another one?

Hi Tom,

Still missing Beano?

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
31-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Err....he only crashed once....everybody is allowed 1 ..no?!

SS

They are, but dont forget he let one go overseas too, so that's two that he's 'lost' ..... however ...

Hi Tom,

Still missing Beano?

Cheers,

James.

These are two great cars that deserve to be properly returned to the road ....

regards, Paul

blue5
31-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi Tom,

Still missing Beano?

Cheers,

James.

You know it's true.

I shouldnt be allowed to buy another simply because i sold the first one to someone who crashed it!

Papalazarou
31-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I feel so much better. Thanks Tom.

simonprelude
31-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Sorry to hear James........ if you need help looking at another then let me know, I'm up and down the country a lot at the moment.

Papalazarou
31-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Hi Simon,

Good to catch up earlier. Really appreciate the offer.

Cheers,

James.

john dean
08-02-2011, 01:05 AM
James,
you took me for my first ever spin in an NSX at Castle Coombe a few years ago if you remember, as all have said what a shame.
You did fuel my desire for one and I do now have an 03 LBB one! Maybe we will catch up again some time but I am the other side of the country alas!

Thanks for the great day back then and sad for the car! I hope you get another, I adore mine! They are superb cars!

John

Papalazarou
08-02-2011, 08:04 AM
James,
you took me for my first ever spin in an NSX at Castle Coombe a few years ago if you remember, as all have said what a shame.
You did fuel my desire for one and I do now have an 03 LBB one! Maybe we will catch up again some time but I am the other side of the country alas!

Thanks for the great day back then and sad for the car! I hope you get another, I adore mine! They are superb cars!

John

Hi John,

Glad you got one. I managed to pick up a red 2004 car last week, so back in the saddle. Hope you can make it to Japfest this year now you've got the car you were after. Thanks for your kind words.

Cheers,

James.

Midnight Blue
08-02-2011, 02:46 PM
I managed to pick up a red 2004 car last week

Well Done, enjoy

Regards,

Andy