View Full Version : insurance-science?

candyman
16-12-2010, 05:32 PM
For years, i have been convinced that insurers "calculate" premiums according to how much they can get away with. A few weeks ago i received a renewal notice for my 7.5 ton lorry. Despite 12 years no claims it went up from £1200 to £1300. I phoned my broker to say i wasn't happy and they said it was the best they could do so i said i was going to look elsewhere. Wagon insurance is not as easy to get quotes as a car is so i wasn't having much luck. As it happened, i was not using the wagon on the day the insurance expired, and lo and behold, the insurers rang me that afternoon with a quote for £1100. See what i mean!

One of the many reasons i love the nsx is that not even 50% of jedward could fit in one and i don't think they could even spell nsx. I believe they are that stupid, they have both bought Ferraris even though they can't drive. One just has to hope that their future driving test examiners are music lovers.

I apologise to anyone who hated the rubberbandits vid. Comedy is very subjective. I am sure that all nsx owners have a good sense of humour. I always laugh when a 911 driver look lustfully at my nsx. The 911 is a fine car but i think of it as the Michael Buble of sports cars, whereas the nsx is more Johny Depp. On a tangent, i saw the film "the tourist". Angelina Jolie in Venice! Such a treat for the eyes.

nakamichi
16-12-2010, 07:47 PM
I had a similar experience with Adrian Flux recently.The renewal on my wifes Megane had gone up £110 from last year despite no claims or points on license.I told them I would go elsewhere if they coudn't do better.
A few hours later they rang me and said they could knock £85 off as they wouldn't be taking any commission !!

A few years ago I was with Churchill and had been for a few years.Every time the renewal time came around,the price got higher and higher.
I think insurance companies actually take advantage of loyal customers because they think you can't be arsed to shop around.

BTW I LOVE the Rubberbandits video.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention:)

candyman
16-12-2010, 08:09 PM
glad you liked the vid. I am sure that insurance companies try it on if you have been with them for a couple of years, which is disgraceful!

NSXGB
16-12-2010, 11:03 PM
My house insurance renewal came through at £780...last year I paid £320! Crazy.

sutats
17-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Fab pics as always but this time it's evocative with the lovely sunrise/sunset which makes me all warm and fuzzy on the inside. Keep it coming.

Every year when my insurance renewal arrives like clockwork I ring them to tell them there are cheaper options for me and that's when they'll "check with my manager" or go for a coffee break and then come back to tell me the manager says because I have been loyal and there's been no claims that they can bring the renewal price down.

TheSebringOne
19-12-2010, 09:43 PM
I think insurance companies will always try it on, but premiums apparently are going up alot this year compared to previous years. Some really nice sun set shots you have taken there, are they from the North West or North Wales?

candyman
20-12-2010, 01:15 PM
they are from sunny new brighton.