PDA

View Full Version : Audi RS4

Silver Surfer
01-12-2010, 08:57 PM
I'd be happy with a 4WD 400hp Honda. The only reason to get the Audi was because Honda don't make one. I don't need it to be a sports car, just a decently powered sports estate will suit just fine.

How are you getting on with the RS4?
Just put my set of winter tyres on time.....drives like normal in the snow.

SS

Nick Graves
02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
So does Karen's Civic. Must be the Dunlop Winter Sports...

forumadmin
03-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Just moved these posts to a new thread. I don't want to be accused of going off topic.

Back to the question then, the RS4.

Well I have never had a car that has cost so much to run in my life. It only confirms my thoughts on German quality versus Japanese.

So far, it has had the engine out for new turbos and lambda sensors. It now need some new suspension arms, timing belt, brake discs, brake lines and oil seals somewhere in the engine fixing.

Luckily all this hasn't cost me anything as the warranty I got with it has paid for it all (except wear and tear items).

It has cost more to run in one year than all my Hondas over 12 years. And this car has less miles on it than any of my Hondas.

In the snow its OK. The tail is a bit happy. I don't think the tyres on it are brilliant winter tyres. It came with Conti TS810. I asked the dealer about it being tail happy, and his reply was that the weight is in the front, and I have nearly 400bhp, what do I expect? :) It does climb up any slope with snow on it, gets a little squirmy if I boot it up a hill. :)

At the end of the winter it may get changed for a GT3. Yes, I might finally make the move and try one. Unless it gets changed now for a new CRV (worth about the same) for the peace of mind that comes with Honda ownership.

Senninha
03-12-2010, 10:35 AM
........Luckily all this hasn't cost me anything as the warranty I got with it has paid for it all (except wear and tear items)......................At the end of the winter it may get changed for a GT3. Yes, I might finally make the move and try one. Unless it gets changed now for a new CRV (worth about the same) for the peace of mind that comes with Honda ownership.

A colleague at work has a late RS4 and the best thing he can recommend about ownership is the solid value the warranty brings!!!! <20k miles its had engine out twice for seals/leaks, new intake system, turbos and a long list of irritating electrical gremlins. All this in under a years ownership.

GT3 could be fun ans at least you've had plenty of practice at catching the back end in the RS.

I could have done with your old CRV this week to get around. The wifes CDTI CRV has been superb all week. I'm running it on oversize HanKook's (235 up from 225) and its very sure footed!

regards, Paul

bobbyswanbourne
03-12-2010, 09:13 PM
If you wanted reliability and build quality with 4x4 you should have gone for a JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon. Mine is great in the snow.

NSX 2000
04-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Unless it gets changed now for a new CRV (worth about the same) for the peace of mind that comes with Honda ownership.

I could have done with your old CRV this week to get around. The wifes CDTI CRV has been superb all week. I'm running it on oversize HanKook's (235 up from 225) and its very sure footed!

regards, Paul

The CR-V just blotted it's copy book:shocked: I opened the bonnet today so I could put more screen wash in, but then the bonnet wouldn't close :angry:

So it's on the safety latch at the moment and off to the local Honda dealer in the morning to see if they can fix it.

It has been so good this week.

PS Kevin if you read this can you add a 2011 events section?

Thanks in advance and Thanks in the past for the CR-V :D

goldnsx
04-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Luckily all this hasn't cost me anything as the warranty I got with it has paid for it all (except wear and tear items).
Be happy, you would have gotten a shock for the brakes only. These cars are the new definition of 'money-pit' I'm sorry to say.

havoc
04-12-2010, 11:55 AM
I suspect most modern performance cars are. A combination of:-

- engineering 'cost-cutting'* reducing the life of components;

- reduced owner-maintainability as everything is electronically linked;

- sophisticated ECUs trying to compensate for issues and causing problems elsewhere. Also reduces the owner's ability to diagnose;

- emissions-driven stresses on engines, e.g. turbo's instead of big-capacity or high-revs = more complexity and more things to fail. Also EGR valves, catalytic converters/DPFs.

- bhp wars = bigger brakes (more £), more robust suspension, bigger wheels, more weight (= bigger brakes and stiffer suspension). So of course none of it lasts as long as it all has to do more work.

When you have hot-hatches that are as quick (quicker?) in a straight line than a 20y.o. "supercar", something's gone awry, and people shouldn't be surprised when more things go wrong and such things cost a lot to fix...

* IMHO even Honda are now guilty of that.

NoelWatson
04-12-2010, 05:54 PM
I suspect most modern performance cars are. A combination of:-

- engineering 'cost-cutting'* reducing the life of components;

- reduced owner-maintainability as everything is electronically linked;

- sophisticated ECUs trying to compensate for issues and causing problems elsewhere. Also reduces the owner's ability to diagnose;

- emissions-driven stresses on engines, e.g. turbo's instead of big-capacity or high-revs = more complexity and more things to fail. Also EGR valves, catalytic converters/DPFs.

- bhp wars = bigger brakes (more £), more robust suspension, bigger wheels, more weight (= bigger brakes and stiffer suspension). So of course none of it lasts as long as it all has to do more work.

When you have hot-hatches that are as quick (quicker?) in a straight line than a 20y.o. "supercar", something's gone awry, and people shouldn't be surprised when more things go wrong and such things cost a lot to fix...

* IMHO even Honda are now guilty of that.

Our 2.5 year old 330i had had coil packs, injectors etc replaced for the fourth time.

NoelWatson
04-12-2010, 05:56 PM
If you wanted reliability and build quality with 4x4 you should have gone for a JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon. Mine is great in the snow.

Can you still get these banzai wagons from new? I may be tempted.

forumadmin
07-12-2010, 08:17 AM
The CR-V just blotted it's copy book:shocked: I opened the bonnet today so I could put more screen wash in, but then the bonnet wouldn't close :angry:

So it's on the safety latch at the moment and off to the local Honda dealer in the morning to see if they can fix it.

It has been so good this week.

PS Kevin if you read this can you add a 2011 events section?

Thanks in advance and Thanks in the past for the CR-V :D

Ah yes. Easy fix.

The cable release is a bit sticky. So after you pull the handle to open the bonnet, push it back in. Then close bonnet. My old Accord used to do that as well, must be a Honda thing.

Boomin33
07-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Wow... glad I saw this thread. have been a few times I've checked PH to see how cheaply I could get into and RS4 for. I had a Tuned 2.3 coupe in the 90's and loved it. Reading this, puts me off it quite a bit. Couldn't fathon buying a 3-4 year old one (cheap but without warantee )

GT3 -... I've always heard you guys slate porkers, but can say that a friend of mine picked me up in his Carrera 4S a few weeks back. not sure if it's a 996 or 997...

Okay the dash board and it's squareness is completely unispiring when compared to the interior of the NXS, or many Others.

But. wow... felt super light, super responsive.. small nimble and quick. and This was with our ladies in the back seat! ;) (it's a 4 true 4 seater!)

Wife and I were both like... oooh. we should get one of these someday.