PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt change

stefaneinz
24-11-2010, 09:13 AM
I'd be grateful if anyone can give me a quick answer to the following:

- when does the cambelt need changing (I am looking at a late '04 car)?
- if it has been changed, would this be recorded in the service book?

Many thanks

Kaz-kzukNA1
24-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi, stefaneinz.

Presuming you are referring to UK based 04 model NSX, then it will follow the new Honda European Service schedule.

For Timing Belt (TB), it is every 72k miles or 8 years whichever comes first.
Please note that this is different for other countries or earlier models.

If you have ever seen the Honda standard service log book, then you will see just a small space for each main service with a stamp, signature, etc. There is no special service log book just for NSX so it is the same for other Honda models.... Quite often, you will see just a stamp with no signature/text at all.

If you want to know whether TB service was carried out or not, then it is best to check the actual receipt (if you have them) for each services and if it was carried out by the Honda main dealer, it will normally list up all the parts with parts no..

If the TB service was carried out, then it will show up on the receipt.

Kaz

stefaneinz
24-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Many thanks. On looking at the service book it has not been stamped, and the car is still only 6 years old, with 7,500 miles. So I am pretty sure it has not been changed as yet.

I've just done the deal to buy the car, so I'll probably get the timing belt service done just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again.

eclipse1501
24-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Congratulations, sounds like some car!

Kaz-kzukNA1
25-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi, stefaneinz.
Congratulations on becoming the NSX owner.

7,500 miles and just 6 years old with no stamps on the service book?? Probably, off the road for a long time....

Sounds like your head/valve cover was never removed after leaving the factory…
If that is the case, then, personally, I would recommend waiting for another 2 years (I don’t think you can achieve 72K miles by then) or so before carrying out the TB/WP service.

It’s your NSX so final decision is yours.

Without looking at the actual service history over the last 6 years, it is hard to guess but if I were you, I’ll keep the budget for the TB/WP service aside for the future and look into the more basic things such as replacing the engine oil/filter, brake fluid, MTF and so on.

Hope you can take out your NSX frequently to flush out the old fuel as well…

Kaz

stefaneinz
25-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks.

Sorry, my previous post was ambiguous. I meant there was no stamp for the timing belt change. The car has, however, been serviced every year by a Honda dealer, most recently in August, so I'd expect all the fluids to be in good shape.

But since I don't have the invoices for the work that has been done, I probably will get a full service done as I like to start my ownership of a car knowing exactly what has been done, and not leaving anything to chance.

Hoping to pick the car up tomorrow. Just want the snow to stay away fron the South coast!

It will then get a good run to the Nurburgring and then Frankfurt this weekend - a good chance to get to know the car better.

Cheers

NSXGB
25-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Congrats stefaneinz.

Hope you have a good trip.

nobby
26-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Many congrats on the purchase. I really hope the car is 100% for you and you enjoy every minute of ownership

Enjoy the 'ring' with the NSX. I had a hoot when i was there back in August; no doubt you will put the car through its paces better than me, as you are not a 'ring' virgin like i was :)

Enjoy and BE SAFE

It will then get a good run to the Nurburgring and then Frankfurt this weekend - a good chance to get to know the car better.

Cheers