PDA

View Full Version : Respraying an NSX

Senninha
10-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Has anyone here attempted / completed either an original colour respray or colour change to their NSX :?:

I've looked at a few examples, some of which seem to have more than their fair share of stone chips which obviously detract from the overall condition

I'm now considering the idea of buying a mechanically sound vehicle and restoring the bodywork :idea: .

Should I proceed with this approach, I would detail the work through photo records to satisfy a future owner that the work was not the result of accident damage.

I would be interested to hear your views

ctrlaltdelboy
10-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Ivor (JaytipNSX) had his done (full respray in a custom colour) I believe, there are some photos and a discussion somewhere either here or on NSXPrime.

Also, Kevin had a little work done a while ago, and I have had some done myself.

I don't see any issues in your proposed move, provided you use a bodyshop that is up to the job.

jaytip
10-11-2005, 10:58 PM
I changed the colour on my car and boy was that a big mistake :evil:
I had to fight for nigh on two years to get things sorted.I will never, EVER go down that road again.
Photos of my car are in the photo gallery.

ctrlaltdelboy
10-11-2005, 11:02 PM
yes, Ivor had quite a bit of bother I recall, probably best to reinforce once more that careful selection of your chosen bodyshop is paramount.

(the above comment is in no way intended to suggest that Ivor failed in properly vetting his chosen bodyshop, just to point out how important the right selection is)

jaytip
10-11-2005, 11:52 PM
yes, Ivor had quite a bit of bother I recall, probably best to reinforce once more that careful selection of your chosen bodyshop is paramount.

Darren i hear and agree with you 100%

Senninha
11-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Ivor,

I've seen the photos and your car looks superb :!:

What made you consider the respray route?

What were the issues that caused you so much aggrevation? As you went for a colour change, would I be right to guess it was things like engine bay/bonnet and boot recess' rather than the 'main' bodywork paint finish?

(PM if you'd rather not discuss issues here)

Clear message so far is vetting the paint shop, thanx guys.

jaytip
11-11-2005, 09:56 AM
the colour i wanted was the same colour as the car on this website www.chrisinfo.ch (sorry its not in english)look under the "ma NSX" section for the complete set of photos.
The tool who sprayed my car, sprayed it a different colour,trying to fob me off by saying that although it was a different paint manufacturer,the colour was the same :roll: PLUS, the finish on the car was no way near the colour of the colour sample chip anyway.There were also numerous other faults in the work.An independent assessor counted 25 seperate faults in the re-spray.

Kevin
11-11-2005, 04:32 PM
As Darren said, I have had some spray work done as well.

The thing with the NSX paint, is that it is made of many layers, and sanded flat. Compare it with any other car, and you will see ripples (orange peel) in other cars, not with the NSX.

Unless the sprayer is going to take the time to colour sand, and clearcoat/polish you won't get the same quality afterwards.

A side of my car has been sprayed, and I can tell. One day I will sand it down and polish it flat.

Senninha
11-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Thanx for all the very useful information ref paint finish etc.

Jaytip, superb colour, but I have to say I still think your NSX looks superb!

Armed with this info I'm off to investigate some paint shops.

Pande
13-11-2005, 04:33 PM
I personally have resprayed 2 NSXs. I own a professional bodyshop so understand the correct finish required on paintwork. If you choose the wrong bodyshop you will ruin the car. Ive seen my fairshare of bad paint jobs and believe that once a car is resprayed you should never be able to tell that the car has been touched in anyway. All finishing must be as original. Choose wisely....and there is nothing wrong with respraying.

Senninha
13-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Pande,

Were the NSX's you painted retaining the original factory colour?

If not, I'm interested to know how you overcome issues with a colour change with regards to engine bay and the other 'interior' compartments please.

Pande
14-11-2005, 07:19 PM
They retained their original colour and were only in for minor repairs such as scuffs and stone chips. Chainging the colour all depends on your budget. If you want all the car without the engine bay and underbonnet area then you are looking at a 3 week turnaround which costs upto £2000. If you want the engine bay and underbonnet area spraying you can add a grand. Again you must find a body shop that can strip the nsx to near a bare shell to leave no tell tail signs.

wgmr
14-11-2005, 08:13 PM
I am going to have a respray done I think and I am going to use a place called APR Cars in Ruislip, they seem to know what they are doing, are there any questions I should ask them? Does anyone know if they are going to be ok?

What pictures did you take to show it was not crash damage? Did you have a newspaper in it to date it or something?

Thanks

Will

jaytip
15-11-2005, 06:21 AM
What pictures did you take to show it was not crash damage? Did you have a newspaper in it to date it or something?

If you take photos of your car from all four sides on the day it goes into the bodyshop, from a distance to at least incorporate the actual shop into the photo and then visit daily(or ask the bodyshop owner/foreman)to take photos of the car as it is being stripped down,prepped,re-sprayed and then rebuilt,then i would think that would be sufficent to allay(sp?) any fears come re-sale time.

wgmr
17-11-2005, 08:20 PM
thanks for that, does any one know what can go wrong/what they should do when respraying a car, i want to tell them to make sure to do what ever you guys suggest!

imvarma
30-11-2005, 07:45 AM
I can only recomend you go to a well known body shop and have a look at their work. ive just had my car done at avon custom (www.avoncustom.co.uk) and its perfect as they took their time on every piece, at every stage.

wgmr
05-12-2005, 09:34 PM
well it is in the shop at the mo, they have taken weeks over it and still not done, still that shows that they are looking after it I hope

Senninha
05-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Will,

I noticed how much this work is likely to cost you in another thread. Is this for a colour change or 'full' as in engine bay etc?