View Full Version : CEL light wierd code

nakamichi
13-11-2010, 04:53 PM
hi
My CEL light is on when engine cold.After a few miles ,if I turn the engine off and on again,the light disappears.
I have just pulled the code and I get 8 short blinks of the CEL light.
I cannot find a code that relates to this.I thought it might be one long blink followed by 7 short ones but I tried several times and it is definately 8 short blinks.
I am stumped.Any ideas?
cheers
Tony

Kaz-kzukNA1
14-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Hi, Tony.
As you can imagine, it is very rare for ECU to display error code other than the ones specified on the manual.
There are several codes for debug/diag purpose but not for the CEL one.

Do you have any further detail when you first saw this CEL #8?
For example, under what condition (other than engine was cold) did you get this error code?
Straight after starting the engile?
Or, do you have to at least move the car?
Throttle?
RPM?
Neutral or in gear?
Etc?

Any changes on the car just before getting this CEL?

As you have already read the code, have you tried resetting the ECU by removing the 7.5A Clock fuse for a while, putting it back in place and try starting the engine when it is cold to double check the error?

There is an option to try spare ECU but that’s very unusual for our ECU.
I have spare ECU from the member Siiver Surfer but I need to check the code version on yours.

By the way, if you kept the IGN switch in 'On' position with SCS terminal shorted, the CEL will repeat the error code many times. Was it always #8 or any chance it was actually something like #1 and #7??

Regards,
Kaz

nakamichi
21-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Hi, Tony.
As you can imagine, it is very rare for ECU to display error code other than the ones specified on the manual.
There are several codes for debug/diag purpose but not for the CEL one.

Do you have any further detail when you first saw this CEL #8?
For example, under what condition (other than engine was cold) did you get this error code?
Straight after starting the engile?
Or, do you have to at least move the car?
Throttle?
RPM?
Neutral or in gear?
Etc?

Any changes on the car just before getting this CEL?

As you have already read the code, have you tried resetting the ECU by removing the 7.5A Clock fuse for a while, putting it back in place and try starting the engine when it is cold to double check the error?

There is an option to try spare ECU but that’s very unusual for our ECU.
I have spare ECU from the member Siiver Surfer but I need to check the code version on yours.

By the way, if you kept the IGN switch in 'On' position with SCS terminal shorted, the CEL will repeat the error code many times. Was it always #8 or any chance it was actually something like #1 and #7??

Regards,
Kaz
I have checked again and it look like a code 80,ie 8 long blinks.Even after resetting the ecu,the CEL light comes on immediately the engine is started.As stated previously,after the engine is fully warmed up and then switched off,the CEL goes out.However.it will come back on again a few miles later.
Code 80 is EGR insufficient flow.Looking on Prime,this appears to be a common fault.Is it something I can sort out myself or should I take it to the dealer?
cheers
Tony

Kaz-kzukNA1
24-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi, Tony.

I don’t remember code #80 was available for the EGR system on the earlier models. However, my memory is based on JDM so not sure about the UK ones….

While EGR system can get clogged with carbon/oil build up on other production cars and trigger CEL, personally, I don’t think it is a 'common fault' on our NSX. For me, 'common fault' is something like we experienced on the Main Relay, A/C CCU, early model ABS and so on.

I dealt with one issue on JDM NSX with code #12 but that was caused by someone installing an aftermarket part and damaging the vacuum tube to the EGR valve.

You can remove the short metal pipe and the valve itself for inspection and clean them by yourself but it could be something else such as the control solenoid/valve or the tube.
If you don’t have the vacuum tester, it may be more cost effective to get someone to deal with it for you as he/she can also double check the CEL code as well.

Kaz