PDA

View Full Version : VBH: Best cars I've raced

Ewan
29-10-2010, 06:50 AM
http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=155081047&page=6

David Fenn gets a mention in VB-H's list...

gumball
29-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Clio at no4. :laugh:

jaytip
29-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Clio at no4. :laugh:
I guess you don't read Evo then, because the hot versions of the Clio ALWAYS get excellent reviews off those guys. It's not always about out and out performance as Evo timing sheet of Bedfords west circuit shows. The NSX gets beaten by much cheaper hot hatches. A good example being renaults Megane( the one with the roll cage)

NoelWatson
29-10-2010, 09:00 AM
I guess you don't read Evo then, because the hot versions of the Clio ALWAYS get excellent reviews off those guys. It's not always about out and out performance as Evo timing sheet of Bedfords west circuit shows. The NSX gets beaten by much cheaper hot hatches. A good example being renaults Megane( the one with the roll cage)

An early NSX gets beaten, maybe not an 02+ - I mentioned this to the EVO chaps when I was at Silverstone lapping dawdling hatchbacks (in my roll caged Megane)

AR
29-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Well could it be that most EVO readers have hot hatches and they need to do a "Best Motoring" type thing to keep them happy. :)

jaytip
29-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Well could it be that most EVO readers have hot hatches and they need to do a "Best Motoring" type thing to keep them happy. :)
I'm guessing you don't read Evo then Ary. I subscribe and they cover all manner of performance cars,particularly the kind that are out or reach of the common man. So no, it's certainly not a hot hatch brigade mag.

jaytip
29-10-2010, 09:40 AM
An early NSX gets beaten, maybe not an 02+ - I mentioned this to the EVO chaps when I was at Silverstone lapping dawdling hatchbacks (in my roll caged Megane)

Noel, do you believe an 02+ would lap Bedford 3 seconds faster than a 3.0l? I don't.

NoelWatson
29-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Noel, do you believe an 02+ would lap Bedford 3 seconds faster than a 3.0l? I don't.

Don't forget it was an early 3.0 on skinny tyres, but agreed, probably not.

markc
29-10-2010, 10:29 AM

It'd be interesting to know the brand, tread depth and age of those tyres as well.

The early NSX in question was being compared to a brand new Evora on new modern rubber. The modern rubber, better brakes, improved power, better gearing and improved chassis (less roll) of the NA2 would see it make up most of those 3secs IMHO.

Cheers

Mark

gumball
29-10-2010, 02:05 PM

I used to but it went down hill a while back..

jaytip
29-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I used to but it went down hill a while back..

It has gone down hill a bit I agree

AR
29-10-2010, 06:35 PM
I will buy the odd one for the pictures, but the write ups tend not be be that special, and some have lots of mistakes.

Nick Graves
29-10-2010, 07:33 PM
I prefer Troy Queef.

markc
29-10-2010, 07:59 PM
I prefer Troy Queef.

A.k.a Richard Porter who writes for evo these days (www.sniffpetrol.com for the uninitiated)

Chris Harris is the star of the show at evo now, I enjoy the pieces he writes :)

Cheers

Mark

jaytip
29-10-2010, 09:01 PM
A.k.a Richard Porter who writes for evo these days (www.sniffpetrol.com for the uninitiated)

Chris Harris is the star of the show at evo now, I enjoy the pieces he writes :)

Cheers

Mark
From what I've read of his stuff so far though, he is a 911 man through and through.

havoc
29-10-2010, 10:32 PM
It'd be interesting to know the brand, tread depth and age of those tyres as well.

The early NSX in question was being compared to a brand new Evora on new modern rubber. The modern rubber, better brakes, improved power, better gearing and improved chassis (less roll) of the NA2 would see it make up most of those 3secs IMHO.

Cheers

Mark

Agreed. The NA2 has notably stiffer suspension, wider and lower 17"s all-round on modern tyres (vs 15"s/16"s), and has both an extra 20bhp and better gear ratios. And bigger brakes, of course

I can see 3 seconds a lap in those improvements.

Tyres alone could easily give it a second a lap (more?), and semi-trackday tyres like the Megane gets sold with are worth at least that vs even modern sports rubber. IMHO lap-times by 'non-supercars' with that sort of rubber is cheating a little bit...

AR
29-10-2010, 11:10 PM
IMHO lap-times by 'non-supercars' with that sort of rubber is cheating a little bit...

Plus 1, Like the NSX-R on street tyres.

NoelWatson
30-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Agreed. The NA2 has notably stiffer suspension, wider and lower 17"s all-round on modern tyres (vs 15"s/16"s), and has both an extra 20bhp and better gear ratios. And bigger brakes, of course

I can see 3 seconds a lap in those improvements.

Tyres alone could easily give it a second a lap (more?), and semi-trackday tyres like the Megane gets sold with are worth at least that vs even modern sports rubber. IMHO lap-times by 'non-supercars' with that sort of rubber is cheating a little bit...

I have both 888s and Contis for my Megane. In capable hands the NSX may be almost as quick, but for an average dirver, the NSX wouldn't see which way the Megane went. You can consistently drive it like you stole it, lap after lap. Aside from GT3s/Caterham's, I'm not sure what would lap up the punishment as well.

NoelWatson
30-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Plus 1, Like the NSX-R on street tyres.

I'm not sure if the Megane did the lap time on 888s or Conits. Nor where the EVO chaps when I asked.

Rob_Fenn
31-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the link! VBH was very impressive in the car. Bear in mind it was it's first ever outing, the steering was ridiculously heavy, even for my old man who is a 14st gym fanatic. Was very impressive to see Vicki manage it...

Hopefully she'll be in the car again next season and it will go up her list!

havoc
31-10-2010, 09:09 PM
I have both 888s and Contis for my Megane. In capable hands the NSX may be almost as quick, but for an average dirver, the NSX wouldn't see which way the Megane went. You can consistently drive it like you stole it, lap after lap. Aside from GT3s/Caterham's, I'm not sure what would lap up the punishment as well.

If the Megane is like a modernised (i.e. quicker/grippier) 'teg, then I can well believe it - I've taken more liberties in that car than I've ANY right to have got away with...

Senninha
31-10-2010, 10:21 PM
From what I've read of his stuff so far though, he is a 911 man through and through.

When he was a regular at Autocar, he would regularly refer to his latest 911 set of keys .... so clearly at EVO he hasn't changed his true love. Always enjoyed/enjoy his column ....

Rob_Fenn
01-11-2010, 11:12 AM
He certainly is doing well for himself as he has quite a fleet. Rather than a Porsche, he bought a Testarossa recently.

gumball
01-11-2010, 11:21 AM
He certainly is doing well for himself as he has quite a fleet. Rather than a Porsche, he bought a Testarossa recently.

A fine choice of car,
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z148/gumball3ooo/1957_Ferrari_250_Testa_Rossa_HR.jpg

..;)

daviidwilson
04-11-2010, 09:37 PM